Voter Suppression

Pancho

Record turnout yesterday in Georgia. Long lines everywhere. I’m happy to see people exercising their voting privilege but I don’t get it. Early voting will be open for three weeks and everyone in Georgia was allowed to vote absentee. I guess it’s like showing up to a hot new restaurant on opening night.

6 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Record turnout yesterday in Georgia. Long lines everywhere. I’m happy to see people exercising their voting privilege but I don’t get it. Early voting will be open for three weeks and everyone in Georgia was allowed to vote absentee. I guess it’s like showing up to a hot new restaurant on opening night.

People are energized and pissed off.  

9 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Got to State Farm at 810 and left at 820. No line at all 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Ok. Your vote counts the same regardless of when you vote.

But there will be more votes counted, because more people are energized enough to actually vote.  Go back and look at 2018 - there were mid-term races that set records.   We as a nation don’t normally vote in the kinds of numbers you’d think we would, and plenty sat out 2016, because we had two shitty candidates.

And look at Texas -  around 2 million newly registered voters since 2016.  A few hundred thousand in the past 3-4 weeks alone.  That’s going to mean longer lines.  

Democrats in Georgia can’t take any chances. Governor Kemp will do anything he can to fuck them over and screw them out of voting. I’d be motivated to get my vote in ASAP and make sure it is counted. 

More people registered and voted under Kemp than any SOS in the history of the state.

28 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

A) I've got to take issue with you referring to voting as a "privilege" -- it's a gotdam right (and duty).

B) If we were assured that Trump's post office wasn't going to fuck up mail-in votes, maybe the lines wouldn't be so long.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

People are energized and pissed off.  

But people should've always been doing this--they have a stake in the government regardless of who they vote for.  It's amazing how many people the whole world over that have died for the right to vote while future generations chose to sit it out.  It's not a form of protest--it's a dereliction.  Somebody benefits when we choose not to guard the door.  

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, bolverk said:

A) I've got to take issue with you referring to voting as a "privilege" -- it's a gotdam right (and duty).

B) If we were assured that Trump's post office wasn't going to fuck up mail-in votes, maybe the lines wouldn't be so long.

I mean, lots of rights are privileges man. This seems like a weird hill on which to go full pedant. 2nd amendment is a right and a fucking privilege. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, lots of rights are privileges man. This seems like a weird hill on which to go full pedant. 2nd amendment is a right and a fucking privilege. 

I respectfully disagree and think we should be unambiguous in our choice of words in describing it.

priv·i·lege
/ˈpriv(ə)lij/
noun
a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group.
"education is a right, not a privilege"

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I respectfully disagree and think we should be unambiguous in our choice of words in describing it.

priv·i·lege
/ˈpriv(ə)lij/
noun
a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group.
"education is a right, not a privilege"

That's a nice example. Lets dissect a little further.
A special right (voting), advantage or immunity that is available only to a particular person or group (Americans). 

It can be both. Most of the time it IS both. Now if you want to sit here make your case that we should be deliberate in our choices of words, ok. But don't do it while pretending a square isn't also a rectangle.

23 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

But people should've always been doing this--they have a stake in the government regardless of who they vote for.  It's amazing how many people the whole world over that have died for the right to vote while future generations chose to sit it out.  It's not a form of protest--it's a dereliction.  Somebody benefits when we choose not to guard the door.  

UT football should have always been winning at least 9-10 games a season, but you know......

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's a nice example. Lets dissect a little further.
A special right (voting), advantage or immunity that is available only to a particular person or group (Americans). 

It can be both. Most of the time it IS both. Now if you want to sit here make your case that we should be deliberate in our choices of words, ok. But don't do it while pretending a square isn't also a rectangle.

When a right is extended to the majority of people in this country, I would no longer consider it "special." I really don't feel like derailing this thread further by going round and round.

Ok. We still have three weeks to vote in person or drop a ballot in a box around town.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Reminder, at least here in Texas, poll watchers have to be credentialed, and there are restrictions.   Bubba can’t just roll up and declare himself a poll watcher.  And they cannot interact with voters.   

Quoted for truth.  I'm not super concerned about Travis, but those of you in more rural counties, watch for that shit and report it.  Don't ignore it, don't confront them, REPORT IT.

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Quoted for truth.  I'm not super concerned about Travis, but those of you in more rural counties, watch for that shit and report it.  Don't ignore it, don't confront them, REPORT IT.

RECORD it and report it.

And broadcast it to the world.  Let the world see what the regime and its psychotic supporters are up to.  Show the world who they are.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

it was also a holiday for many people. vote on your day off

53 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

RECORD it and report it.

And broadcast it to the world.  Let the world see what the regime and its psychotic supporters are up to.  Show the world who they are.

I can not emphasize this enough:  poll watchers may NOT interact with you.  At all.  You have the right to vote and even if there is a question about your credentials/registration, request a provisional ballot and vote if you cannot vote in regular order.  Follow the instructions on making sure your provisional ballot is counted.  It may require a follow up visit for paper work verification. 

When it's time to elect state officials, people need to recall how they're treated in terms of lack of voting options. And some of the county or cities should be called out if they're not providing enough voting options. I'm expecting Harris County to have long lines this week and the leadership is Democrat. 
In Harris county there's usually another poll within a mile or two that doesn't have a line.

What kind of broke ass “democracy” do we have that results in people waiting 4+ hours to vote?

We can spend $800bn a year on the defense budget but can’t invest a little in voting infrastructure to get up to 1st world standards. 

Edited by Firemans4Horn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

What kind of broke ass “democracy” do we have that results in people waiting 4+ hours to vote?

We can spend $800bn a year on the defense budget but can’t invest a little in voting infrastructure to get up to 1st world standards. 

This.  And it's not even the money.  There are plenty of states where people never wait more than a few minutes to vote.  Hint, they're mostly run by Democrats.

• Like 1

on the comments about why people are voting in person when they can mail it in, I think everyone should go in person unless they really feel there is an immediate danger to their health. 

The voting method differences may be important to our democracy. Mail-in ballot may have a delay in being counted in some counties or states. Early in-person votes definitely get added to the total on election night. In fact, they may be the first results reported for most counties.  If we have a situation where Trump is ahead in PA (or whatever tipping point state) at midnight but then slowly loses his lead over the next 2 days, there will be widespread speculation about fraud. 

We need a clear signal on election night that Trump lost. I think the courts would ultimately allow the delayed votes (because they have to by law) but it's not good for America for the results to be delayed.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

If someone is seeing a 11-hour wait ahead of them, they should find a better option on another day.  Or at least I would look at other options and only wait 11 hours if it seemed like it will be worse every day in the future. i would gamble that another time/day won't be that bad.

Hell, for 11 hours your phone will be dead. and you may not have access to a bathroom or food/drink options. Pass.

i wonder if people are waiting that long just to brag online about their civic commitment.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If someone is seeing a 11-hour wait ahead of them, they should find a better option on another day.  Or at least I would look at other options and only wait 11 hours if it seemed like it will be worse every day in the future. i would gamble that another time/day won't be that bad.

Hell, for 11 hours your phone will be dead. and you may not have access to a bathroom or food/drink options. Pass.

i wonder if people are waiting that long just to brag online about their civic commitment.

Who gives a shit? Just makes the line shorter for me when I go. Besides, some folks may not have the foresight to know today's lines would be ridiculous and so this is the day they took off from work. At that point they're committed. 

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is that like bragging about how many times you saw Star Wars when it came out?

How it is in LA County, and how I wish it were everywhere else:

I signed up through the county registrar of voters to track my ballot. I received a text about two weeks ago that my ballot was in the mail. I received it around this time last week, researched the local candidates, filled that sucker out, and walked it to the nearest official drop-box in my neighborhood. Only one walking distance, but close to a dozen within a 2-3 mi drive. About 3-4 days later, I received a text from the county registrar telling me my ballot had been received and would be counted. If I hadn't heard anything, there's a 1-800 number I could've called for any election foolery.

If they're making it harder to vote, vote them out.

56 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

The long lines are a feature....not a bug

How it is in LA County, and how I wish it were everywhere else:
I signed up through the county registrar of voters to track my ballot. I received a text about two weeks ago that my ballot was in the mail. I received it around this time last week, researched the local candidates, filled that sucker out, and walked it to the nearest official drop-box in my neighborhood. Only one walking distance, but close to a dozen within a 2-3 mi drive. About 3-4 days later, I received a text from the county registrar telling me my ballot had been received and would be counted. If I hadn't heard anything, there's a 1-800 number I could've called for any election foolery.
If they're making it harder to vote, vote them out.

This. I live in NJ. Received my ballot in the mail. Filled it out and dropped it off at a drop box located about 5 blocks from my house. There were several other drop boxes within a few miles or I could have mailed it back postage paid.

There is zero reason we can’t do this everywhere. The long lines are by design

4 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Let’s blame the people who waited in an 11 hour line for the line, rather than the voting “system” which allowed this to happen.

Also, yesterday was a day off work for many people. That may have been their only time when they could afford to spend hours in line.

I'm not blaming them for the poor voting system. I just blame them for not finding a better option. But it doesn't impact me so I don't care if they wait 7 days in line.

• Fuck You 1