Voter Suppression

Pancho

Probably the last point on this but important for context in light of the histrionics,  The guy that made the call to order people off the bus was....a democrat.  He was appointed by the jefferson county board of commissioners who have a majority, wait for it, democratic make up.

So in a democrat county, with a democrat commission, a democrat ordered black seniors off of a bus and the republicans are blamed for ending our democracy as we know it.  Solid work by the dems I have to admit and unsurprising that the usual suspects swallowed the story whole.

1 minute ago, softlynow said:

What is the fascination with folks using the noun “Democrat,” when what is called for us the adjective “Democratic.” Is sounding ignorant a political plus?

1) Yes, for Republicans.

2) "Democrat" sounds more like a slur than "Democratic"... and Republicans are nasty and mean by nature

• Like 3

Lulz.  Total bullshit.  The ballots are not provisional.  The votes count just like every other.  

Lets go with something less complex. If 45 percent of the population falls in 1 group and 45% falls in another, why does 1 group overrepresent the total population?

13 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Lets go with something less complex. If 45 percent of the population falls in 1 group and 45% falls in another, why does 1 group overrepresent the total population?

Lulz.  Apathy?  Bad candidates?  Bad policy?  Bad polling?  The 10% you left out like group 1 better?  

In a just nation, those responsible would be in prison.

But they won’t.

And that’s a game you play and win..... till you don’t. Then you lose, and lose big.

When you opt out of a system of justice via laws and prison, what you fail to realize is that you are opting IN - eventually - to a system of justice via guillotines and gallows.

It is in everyone’s interest to have a robust rule of law system. But the stupid fucking greedheads in the GOP can’t see past their thirst for power TODAY.

Brisket, as you are being extra Ledge-y today, what is your actual plan if (when) this all falls apart in a few weeks?  Are you leaving the country?  Taking to the streets?  Seppuku?

I am actively starting the move to Canada.  I've told my wife this, but I'm not sure she really believes me.  Shit's going to become real very quickly for her.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

But they won’t.

And that’s a game you play and win..... till you don’t. Then you lose, and lose big.

When you opt out of a system of justice via laws and prison, what you fail to realize is that you are opting IN - eventually - to a system of justice via guillotines and gallows.

It is in everyone’s interest to have a robust rule of law system. But the stupid fucking greedheads in the GOP can’t see past their thirst for power TODAY.

I agree with the sentiment, but the those of us over 40 or so are fucked, because no way that kind of justice is meted out when soldiers of the "angry left-wing mob" look like this:

flannel+boy+plain.jpg

We need a new generation of leftists. Ones unafraid to spill a bit of blood, let alone a few drops of their iced coconut milk pumpkin spice caramel macchiato

• Haha 1

Brisket, as you are being extra Ledge-y today, what is your actual plan if (when) this all falls apart in a few weeks?  Are you leaving the country?  Taking to the streets?  Seppuku?
I am actively starting the move to Canada.  I've told my wife this, but I'm not sure she really believes me.  Shit's going to become real very quickly for her.

My daughter is looking at a university in Canada. She has a shit at establishing green card residency there. I have colleagues practicing in Canada. I’ve got my eye on it. Seriously. It’s hard to make a quick move, but I’d like to start positioning options.

For now, I’ll fight like hell here. We’re giving money, volunteering on GOTV efforts, and the like. I’m not a quitter. I’m just someone who can read writing on the wall.

I agree with the sentiment, but the those of us over 40 or so are fucked, because no way that kind of justice is meted out when soldiers of the "angry left-wing mob" look like this:
flannel+boy+plain.jpg

We need a new generation of leftists. Ones unafraid to spill a bit of blood, let alone a few drops of their iced coconut milk pumpkin spice caramel macchiato

The WHITE lefties look like that.

I’m counting on our minority brethren to have the balls here.

2 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

Republicans...

this is what they stand for 

But....but... Chief Justice Roberts told me that shenanigans like these have long since been eradicated.  And no one would do such things when they're actually allowed to.

SCOTUS couldn't be in on the fix now, could it? 

36 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

It also makes the person saying it a dumbass.

Yeah, I had the pleasure of sitting next to a handlebar mustachioed dude decked out in A&M garb during the Baylor game. I reached across the proverbial aisle and asked gim how aTm was doing. He replied that they're doing well and he was there to support Baylor (because that's where his hose beast wife went) and that he would never root for TU. I stopped talking to him after that.

Senator Perdue should face criminal charges. He should also face a civil action for battery.

Let’s be clear here: our leaders are willing to assault citizens in order to avoid being accountable to them.
Doesn't matte®, cut taxes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

My daughter is looking at a university in Canada. She has a shit at establishing green card residency there. I have colleagues practicing in Canada. I’ve got my eye on it. Seriously. It’s hard to make a quick move, but I’d like to start positioning options.

For now, I’ll fight like hell here. We’re giving money, volunteering on GOTV efforts, and the like. I’m not a quitter. I’m just someone who can read writing on the wall.

The good news is, if you move there, in 20 years you'll have the same climate we currently have here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Lol at the idea that using the word Democrat to describe Democrats is some sort of an attack

Well if you add the word "Party" then it is an attempt.  "Democrat Party".  It's stupid.  It's the "Democratic Party."

It's fine to refer to Democrats as "Democrats," but to refer to them as the "Democrat Party" is like calling Texas "TU."

tempRoethlisberger07_vs_Bengals_10222017

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Yeah, I had the pleasure of sitting next to a handlebar mustachioed dude decked out in A&M garb during the Baylor game. I reached across the proverbial aisle and asked gim how aTm was doing. He replied that they're doing well and he was there to support Baylor (because that's where his hose beast wife went) and that he would never root for TU. I stopped talking to him after that.

I’m sure you didn’t suffer. 

Here’s a good piece, saying pretty much all of the things I’ve been saying:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/10/16/17951596/kavanaugh-trump-senate-impeachment-avenatti-democrats-2020-supreme-court

“At some point, people will get so angry that they will either talk about secession or start engaging in more direct measures, whether it takes the form of rioting or violence,” says Sanford Levinson, a constitutional law professor at the University of Texas Law School.

Political systems depend on all sides believing in the legitimacy of outcomes. In America, that legitimacy is in danger. And it’s only going to get worse.

“In countries where we see a lot of minority rule, it comes with a lot of violence,” says Mason.
If Democrats win power, should they rewrite the rules?

In his book It’s Time to Fight Dirty: How Democrats Can Build a Lasting Majority in American Politics, political scientist David Faris argues that Democrats worrying about their programs and their campaign strategies are missing the point. “You cannot win, in the long term, a policy or messaging fight on a playing field that is tilted hopelessly against you,” he writes.

Faris goes on to recommend a slew of ways Democrats can “fight dirty,” by which he means rewrite the rules of American politics so Democrats have an even chance, or better than that.

He recommends statehood for DC and Puerto Rico, as well as breaking up California into seven states, each with two senators; packing the Supreme Court with more justices so liberals can crack its conservative majority; replacing winner-take-all elections in the House with ranked-choice voting and expanding the size of the body to 870 members; passing a raft of voting rights reforms; and more.

If the GOP actually gave a damn about this country, they’d stop hurtling down the path of further delegitimization of our elections. But they don’t. And they won’t.

This ends badly.

Because that’s the only way it CAN end.

I've long been on board with expanding the number of representatives. Ain't no way that a non-wealthy constituent can have access to his/her "representative" in a district of 700,000+. Throughout the 1800s, the number of reps was incrementally increased. I think it was sometime around 1910 when that was ended.

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

What ratio would you like to see?

me: take the smallest state, divide its population by 2, and that's the number.  so, wyoming, vermont, alaska, north dakota each get 2.  texas would have 89 as of the last census.  round up if you get over half way to the next one (webster method).

• Like 1