Voter Suppression

Pancho

Abrams is so extreme by the way that's she's pushing for Medicaid expansion. Also she supports sex offenders diddling kids because she voted against a bill in 2008 that would have prohibited offenders from living within 1000 feet of a school bus stop. Because bus stops change year to year among a bunch of other extremely onerous restrictions in the bill, a bunch of civil liberties groups opposed it. The republican legislators had to keep scaling it back because it was ridiculous and a similar bill was overturned in 2007 by the state supreme court.

54 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It sure as shit includes the political party that controls our federal government, and controls many states, including Texas.  I'll post it again for emphasis, from The Economist, about the GOP plan currently being followed:

The GOP does NOT WANT MORE PEOPLE TO VOTE.  It is their foundational political strategy.

It's been this way since we were put on this Earth in the early 70s. I really don't mean to be an ass, but I'm glad that some honest former Republicans like yourself have finally woken up to this fact. The Southern strategy out front shoulda told us.

23 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

This is an interesting thread

Yeah, it's pretty disgusting. My oldest child is turning 18 in late November, so not in time for this election. But I have told my kids that my love for them is far more important than political opinion so no matter whom they vote for or what policies they support, so long as they are respectful of other people and hold those positions honestly then we won't have any issues.

But if there is an election and they don't vote then they're not invited home for Thanksgiving that year.

37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

and THIS, folks, is why the ACLU will continue to receive my money.   I encourage any of you that think supression is a serious issue to donate to the ACLU.  They're fighting the  good fight.

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Like 7

Sounds like the judge is going to order the Election Boards to contact voters to come verify their signatures/ballots.  Both parties can object to the remedy before the judge makes it official.  If they don't show up to verify their ballot/signature, it still gets thrown out.

Edited by Js1

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Sounds like the judge is going to order the Election Boards to contact voters to come verify their signatures/ballots.  Both parties can object to the remedy before the judge makes it official.  If they don't show up to verify their ballot/signature, it still gets thrown out.

Does it get completely rejected or does it get marked as provisional?

1 minute ago, GSU&UT said:

Does it get completely rejected or does it get marked as provisional?

Marked as provisional until someone comes and verifies their ballot.

If they don't show up, it's rejected completely.

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

Democratic Secretary of State candidate left off ballot in Garland County

An Arkansas county has temporarily closed most of its early voting sites after the Democratic nominee for secretary of state was left off the ballot.

Author: Associated Press
Published: 12:06 PM CDT October 22, 2018
Updated: 3:04 PM CDT October 22, 2018

UPDATE: The polling locations have reopened and are back in business.

GARLAND COUNTY, Ark. (AP) - An Arkansas county has temporarily closed most of its early voting sites after the Democratic nominee for secretary of state was left off the ballot.

An official with the Garland County Election Commission says three of the county's four early voting sites were closed Monday because ballots did not include Susan Inman, the Democrat running for secretary of state. Monday marked the start of early voting for Arkansas' Nov. 6 midterm election.

9 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, it's pretty disgusting. My oldest child is turning 18 in late November, so not in time for this election. But I have told my kids that my love for them is far more important than political opinion so no matter whom they vote for or what policies they support, so long as they are respectful of other people and hold those positions honestly then we won't have any issues.

But if there is an election and they don't vote then they're not invited home for Thanksgiving that year.

If your eldest votes for Trump in 2020 then you have failed as a parent. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GSU&UT said:

Abrams is so extreme by the way that's she's pushing for Medicaid expansion. Also she supports sex offenders diddling kids because she voted against a bill in 2008 that would have prohibited offenders from living within 1000 feet of a school bus stop. Because bus stops change year to year among a bunch of other extremely onerous restrictions in the bill, a bunch of civil liberties groups opposed it. The republican legislators had to keep scaling it back because it was ridiculous and a similar bill was overturned in 2007 by the state supreme court.

Abrams, btw, is a proud graduate of the UT-Austin LBJ School.

• Like 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/25/us/politics/senate-house-elections.html

Voter applications said to be missing in Georgia

Fears of voter suppression were again ignited in Georgia on Thursday after state Democratic officials said that more than 4,700 vote-by-mail applications were missing in DeKalb County, one of Georgia’s most populous and liberal-leaning regions.

County officials acknowledged the missing applications in a phone conversation this week with Democratic voter protection officials, and pledged to call the thousands of voters to inform them of the error, according to multiple people familiar with the conversation.

A spokesman for the DeKalb County elections board would not confirm the details of the call. Sam Tillman, the chairman of the board, added that “there is no evidence that there are any missing or lost absentee ballot request forms.” He said of a list of 4,700 names provided by the Democratic officials, he could confirm that the county had only received 48 of the requests.

^^^

Saw that reported earlier. Wife and I voted by absentee ballot in Dekalb before we moved a few days ago, but we applied on our own and have white sounding names. I will say that DeKalb County officials aren't generally conservative so I don't think there's any malfeasance going on.

3 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

I have heard GA goes to a runoff if neither candidate gets to 50%? If that is the case, he better hope he gets to 50 this time (at this rate I would imagine his SOS office has preordained it). If he doesn't, D turnout will absolutely swamp R turnout, and the suppression tactics won't be nearly as effective due to increased scrutiny and actual litigation. 

^^^
Saw that reported earlier. Wife and I voted by absentee ballot in Dekalb before we moved a few days ago, but we applied on our own and have white sounding names. I will say that DeKalb County officials aren't generally conservative so I don't think there's any malfeasance going on.

So when liberals do it it’s an honest mistake? Cmon man.

That is actually stunning.  It’s like he wants demonstrations and to drive up voter turnout on the left.  
Cant wait for Trump to talk about what a tremendous job Kemp is doing.  

What Kemp did is legal. That’s the problem. If you don’t vote in an election in Georgia and then don’t respond to notice by mail, you can be purged from the voter rolls. Republicans tout protection from voter fraud, but voter fraud is so minuscule that erring the other way is the right thing to do. Not to mention that snail mail is a pretty bad way of determining residency in this era of data analytics.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

So when liberals do it it’s an honest mistake? Cmon man.

That was my guess about this issue although there is a lot of consternation about this among a lot of liberals who do think this is voter suppression. It also doesn't make sense for liberals to suppress their own vote if that's what you're suggesting. If you're suggesting that a lot of these issues we're seeing in Georgia isn't intentional voter suppression then I invite you to review the history of our state and the south before and during the civil rights movement, whether it was Democrats or Republicans at any point there was (and still is) intentional discrimination by race to affect voting outcomes.

My daughter is looking at a university in Canada. She has a shit at establishing green card residency there. I have colleagues practicing in Canada. I’ve got my eye on it. Seriously. It’s hard to make a quick move, but I’d like to start positioning options.

For now, I’ll fight like hell here. We’re giving money, volunteering on GOTV efforts, and the like. I’m not a quitter. I’m just someone who can read writing on the wall.

If you graduate from a Canadian university, you automatically get a 3-year work and residency visa for the express purpose of testing out life in Canada and starting the formal immigration process.

I don’t see how exercising the right to not vote in a few election cycles should result in you having to reregister.  Now if an outside group can demonstrate you live in another county now, then it’s cool to remove you.

its rare that one arm of the govt doesn’t know where you currently reside.  Can’t they talk to each other?

7 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Brisket the anchor daddy

Anchor Daddy! 

Would be funny (not saying this is Brisket, but if this happened for people it applies to), like a Wheel of Fortune Before and After if were an Anchor Baby, grew up and got a job and had a family, and then became an Anchor Daddy. It's like America is that stepping stone job to get to the real job you want.

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t see how exercising the right to not vote in a few election cycles should result in you having to reregister.  Now if an outside group can demonstrate you live in another county now, then it’s cool to remove you.

its rare that one arm of the govt doesn’t know where you currently reside.  Can’t they talk to each other?

Tax agencies try not to share data unless absolutely necessary. They want to collect those sweet sweet taxes no matter how dirty the income may be. 

15 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I have heard GA goes to a runoff if neither candidate gets to 50%? If that is the case, he better hope he gets to 50 this time (at this rate I would imagine his SOS office has preordained it). If he doesn't, D turnout will absolutely swamp R turnout, and the suppression tactics won't be nearly as effective due to increased scrutiny and actual litigation. 

That's correct - Georgia is a 50%+1 state. 

Sadly, there's no guarantee D turnout will swamp R turnout in a follow-up election.  Rs always turn out better in run-offs in Georgia.

2008 - great year for Democrats.  Chambliss (R) gets 49.8% of the vote on Election Day and D gets 46.8%.  Run-off:  Chambliss gets 65% of his voters to show up again; D only gets 52% of his voters to show up again.  Results:  Chambliss wins by almost 15 points after only winning by 2 on Election Day.

Edited by Js1

One of the single biggest wins for the GOP was the Supreme court removing Voting Rights supervision of prior bad actors while at the same time allowing lows whose MOST CLEAR RESULT is reducing non-white voters of access to the polls.  The "justification" for all these laws, is the threat of virtually non-existent voter fraud.

To me it's really sad that one of the most widely endorsed tools in the GOP tool box is trying to prevent voters from voting.  Now some will argue that 'the law is for this or that regardless of the actual result of the laws. Do not be fooled into believing the "voter fraud lie" so many now believe as fact, due to repetition and lack of actual information.  Understand that like gerrymandering, voter supression is currently the one of the two most valuable legislative victories the GOP has via the courts.

Here is how you know the voter ID laws and restrictions are a lie!  Ask a Republican if they support same day voter registration with a Government issued photo ID? They will not, do not, and never will.  Because voter ID security is and never was the issue.  Finding legal means through the courts sto supress the votes of certain demographics was and is the goal.

I personally think we should have an amendment to the Bill of Rights that states: "Any US citizen with a valid govenment issued with photo or biometric confirmation of identity shall be allowed to register and vote on the same day of any local, state or federal election.  No laws may be passed at any governmental level that restricts unfettered access to vote for legal citizens of the United States of America."

What do think the GOP reaction to such an amendement would be?  Too expensive to administer? Too cumbersome? Restrictive of State's Rights? 

• Like 4

A lot of people don’t know this but his parents changed his name from Yitzhak Weiss to Saxby Chambliss when they immigrated to Georgia from Lodz.

It’s that escape from horror to the welcoming “Golden Door” of the American Dream that provided the foundation of his empathy and many achievements working on behalf of the tired and poor of America and the world.

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I just want everyone viewed under the same critical lens. When you say your side is immune you lose credibility.

If you think I'm claiming every instance of a liberal/non-white person having trouble voting is due to Kemp and our Republican controlled state, I'm not. What I am saying is that given the history and the overwhelming evidence that such disruptions only would help him given what we know about who votes for whom, they no longer get the benefit of the doubt. They've had plenty of time to try and show that they are making voting equal and fair for everyone, but instead as soon as Shelby County v. Holder was decided they instead started to enact legislation that would only serve to make it more difficult for the poorest and underrepresented to vote.

I think we're mostly aligned. I believe it should be easy for everyone to register to vote.

So don't taze me bro when I ask this question: how does the missed-an-election and didn't-respond-to-a-mailed-notification target any one group more than another? I'm sure I'm missing something but I haven't dug into every facet of all this.

11 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Tax agencies try not to share data unless absolutely necessary. They want to collect those sweet sweet taxes no matter how dirty the income may be. 

Trust me, the IRS knows where you file taxes. Here's a prime example of that in a public database used by demographic researchers, such as myself, to better understand migration patterns in this country.

https://www.irs.gov/statistics/soi-tax-stats-migration-data

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I think we're mostly aligned. I believe it should be easy for everyone to register to vote.

So don't taze me bro when I ask this question: how does the missed-an-election and didn't-respond-to-a-mailed-notification target any one group more than another? I'm sure I'm missing something but I haven't dug into every facet of all this.

Who moves more often and may have not received notifications: home-owners or renters? Which demographic groups are more likely to own property or rent? Answer those two simple questions, and you've got yourself an answer.

• Like 2

Who moves more often and may have not received notifications: home-owners or renters? Which demographic groups are more likely to own property or rent? Answer those two simple questions, and you've got yourself an answer.

This. It’s really not that hard, use some critical thinking damn.