Voter Suppression

Pancho

Who moves more often and may have not received notifications: home-owners or renters? Which demographic groups are more likely to own property or rent? Answer those two simple questions, and you've got yourself an answer.

Thanks that’s helpful. I’ve been in the marriage bubble for 16 years and haven’t moved, so it’s easy to forget all those times I had to update my voter registration as I moved around post-college. I was focused more on ethnic groups (since that is what has been in the news a good bit here) and not renters.

31 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Thanks that’s helpful. I’ve been in the marriage bubble for 16 years and haven’t moved, so it’s easy to forget all those times I had to update my voter registration as I moved around post-college. I was focused more on ethnic groups (since that is what has been in the news a good bit here) and not renters.

Yeah, it's kinda how this whole voter suppression angle works. They target folks who are most likely to be a) young, b) minority, and c) poor. Buy going with the buckshot approach, they can claim not to be targeting one single protected class (minorities) but hit all of the most likely Democratic voters at once.

Edit: The plausible deniability is what enables the gutting of the Voting Right's Acts.

Edited by bolverk

My son believes he has been purged, he thinks because his last known Harris County address was at his mom's place in Westbury, which is kinda hood.

He hadn't taken care of it sooner because he was active duty army in Korea until a few weeks ago. If they refuse him a ballot I will make Stan Stanart answer for it. That fucker should have been voted out years ago. 

55 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

GSU - what is the atmosphere like there around these suppression stories?  Seems potentially explosive.

There's just been a ton of ads, people knocking, and a lot of GOTV you see. I'd say around half of the topics you see posted to r/Atlanta are dealing with GOTV and the continuing reports we read about how many have been purged from the rolls or had their absentee ballots held up. I don't get into the city that much where you would talk to the demographics that are more affected by this, but I'd say that there has been a tremendous amount more attention paid about a Georgia election than any other that I can remember. 

I keep telling myself even if Kemp wins he's going to face a ton of lawsuits challenging the practices he's underseen as SoS, of course that requires the courts to do their jobs. The other issue I've brought up a million times is that our electronic systems don't have a separate paper trail for auditing, so even if there were a question of the accuracy of votes counted you wouldn't be able to trust anything else than what the machines say.

Edited by GSU&UT
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

My son believes he has been purged, he thinks because his last known Harris County address was at his mom's place in Westbury, which is kinda hood.

He hadn't taken care of it sooner because he was active duty army in Korea until a few weeks ago. If they refuse him a ballot I will make Stan Stanart answer for it. That fucker should have been voted out years ago. 

Service members are more likely to vote Republican. They'll probably make sure he can vote.

3 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

Came to post this piece. Another way to keep black people from voting? Scare the shit our of them by aggressively pressing charges (that will not land a conviction) against black community leaders.

45 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

The BEST voter suppression tactic for the GOP in 2016 was the nomination of Hillary.  It kept MILLIONS of Dems at home.

For 2020 I'd like to repeat that!

You should contact Mike Huckabee and tell him you'll write twitter jokes for him. 

The iconic Dodge City of yesteryear embodied the romance of the American West with its cattle drives and buffalo hunters, but today this western Kansas town is 60 percent Hispanic after an influx of immigrants drawn to its two meatpacking plants.

The Wichita Eagle reported that after the ACLU initially objected to the Dodge City’s single, out-of-town location. Cox forwarded to the state an ACLU letter asking her to publicize a voter help. “LOL,” she wrote in an email to Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach’s office.

Cox told the newspaper she didn’t mean anything when she wrote “LOL,” and the move wasn’t done with any racial intention at all.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/kansas-lawsuit-seeks-to-open-second-dodge-city-voting-site/2018/10/26/e055c614-d953-11e8-8384-bcc5492fef49_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b4078da543ee

On 10/29/2018 at 10:14 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

He can check his status here:  https://teamrv-mvp.sos.texas.gov/MVP/mvp.do

no offense but waiting until a few days to find out is fairly late.  I get that he was in Korea but there are still ways to register.

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

He can check his status here:  https://teamrv-mvp.sos.texas.gov/MVP/mvp.do

no offense but waiting until a few days to find out is fairly late.  I get that he was in Korea but there are still ways to register.

He was registered. He told me he was de-registered, but he voted provisionally, so we'll see. 

Judge denied request to reopen the original location

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/judge-nixes-effort-open-new-polling-site-dodge-city-kansas-n930171

TOPEKA, Kan. — Opening a new polling site in the historic Wild West town of Dodge City just days before the election is not in the public's interest because it would likely create more voter confusion, a federal judge ruled Thursday.

U.S. District Judge Daniel Crabtree denied the motion by the American Civil Liberties Union seeking a temporary court order that would have forced Ford County Clerk Deborah Cox to reopen a voting location at the old Civic Center location after she moved the city's only polling place to a site outside city limits and more than a mile from the nearest bus stop.

The judge noted that since Sept. 28, Cox notified voters of the change by letter and through the media — advertising in newspapers, on the radio and on the county's website.

8 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

He was registered. He told me he was de-registered, but he voted provisionally, so we'll see. 

I don’t know I what deregistered means, but if your registration was suspended you’re supposed to be able to vote as long as you show proof you live here.    Now if you registered under address A but you now live at address B, I don’t know if you can vote with a suspended registration.

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t know I what deregistered means, but if your registration was suspended you’re supposed to be able to vote as long as you show proof you live here.    Now if you registered under address A but you now live at address B, I don’t know if you can vote with a suspended registration.

HIs address B is wherever the army says, so it's more complicated than most of these. 

My gut says if the Ds capture both chambers your going to see voting suppression at the state level the likes of which we’ve never seen, across the country.  

I hope so. I would love in the interest of fiscal responsibility only to open up voting stations in cities with over 200k people. Got to pay for those tax cuts.

FUCK YOU KEMP. This country's DoJ said that FOREIGN AGENTS tried to infiltrate several state's voting systems, we know Georgia was one of those. Outside of a basic fucking security patch, YOU DID NOTHING ELSE TO STOP THIS. Now you are actually claiming the Georgia Democratic party is literally doing what we know agents who only tried to help Trump did? Eat the corn out of my shit and rot your fucking life in prison you racist piece of shit.

• Like 4