2018 Rain Thread

Hollywood

43 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Get ready for the Austin peeps to light up. It's raining in the blah blah blah, same here! Whew, I was going run the sprinkler system! I'm next door to you and it's raining here as well!

If the comments in the thread make you so angry and cause you so much trauma, perhaps you could save yourself by not fucking clicking it?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Get ready for the Austin peeps to light up. It's raining in the blah blah blah, same here! Whew, I was going run the sprinkler system! I'm next door to you and it's raining here as well!

Flat rock in 78749.  Going to turn off my sprinkler system.

If the comments in the thread make you so angry and cause you so much trauma, perhaps you could save yourself by not fucking clicking it?

Easy there, I love the rain and this thread.

Not too much rain though!

2 hours ago, Dewey said:

<————— The Houston mosquito thread is that way.   

It’s out of simple courtesy we even let you non-Central Texas posters participate in this thread.   

Edited by Chet Steadman

Went to the parade in Round Rock this morning. 2 hours of hot-as-fuck where you couldn't buy a breeze. Went to lunch in La Frontera and it rained the entire time we were in the restaurant only to stop as we came out. Drove home to 78724 and it was coming down pretty hard on 130. Lightened up as we got home just so we could get the sleeping kids into the house without umbrellas. Started raining again as I fell asleep for a couple hours in the recliner. Seemed to rain a lot, but my rain gauge just says 0.78". That's not going to make your mom happy.

Looks like the Fireworks are on, so we don't have to blame it on the rain...

6:30 p.m. Update: Although a few passing showers are still possible, heavy rain is moving south of Austin and the city “looks in decent shape for the evening,” the National Weather Service reported. 

As of 6:15 p.m., the H-E-B Austin Symphony July 4th Concert & Fireworks is still on for an 8:30 p.m. concert and fireworks at 9:30 p.m.

3 hours ago, Modessit said:

Went to the parade in Round Rock this morning. 2 hours of hot-as-fuck where you couldn't buy a breeze. Went to lunch in La Frontera and it rained the entire time we were in the restaurant only to stop as we came out. Drove home to 78724 and it was coming down pretty hard on 130. Lightened up as we got home just so we could get the sleeping kids into the house without umbrellas. Started raining again as I fell asleep for a couple hours in the recliner. Seemed to rain a lot, but my rain gauge just says 0.78". That's not going to make your mom happy.

Round Rock sucks. 

The key is to water just enough that the grass doesn't completely die. That way you barely need to mow in the summer and keep the water bill manageable. HOA complains, give a quick spritz to green it up, fuck em.

I would rather mow twice per week than have to spend money to water enough to mow every 10 days 

14 hours ago, Modessit said:

We went to that parade for the first time too.

That might have been the worst parade in history. I guess anyone with a car is allowed to be in it because over 80% of it was people driving a fucking car, a couple of lame ass balloons, a fire truck or two and the city council on a crappy float pulled by a truck.

Macy's it ain't.

Total waste of time.

Rain chances pick up agin dis heah weekend, another disturbance is coming in from the Gulf, which is: 1) what's supposed to happen on a good day in our summers, and 2)  the primary way (i.e. bestest chances) we get our rain from June through September.  Friday/Saturday looking pretty good.  Spotty rain today through tomorrow, then picks up with the new disturbance, not as potent as the last one, but enough to make rain here/there.  Not a widespread washout but a good chance (50%, which in my good usually ends up as more than that) Friday, peaks and valleys through Sunday).

High returns early next week, should take a few days to get back to 100° due to the rains, so the longer it can be put off, the better.  Probably a good 4-5 days of below the three digit mark, although the humidity the next 2-3 days is gonna feel uncomfortable outdoors.  Still, take it, I will.

We went to that parade for the first time too.
That might have been the worst parade in history. I guess anyone with a car is allowed to be in it because over 80% of it was people driving a fucking car, a couple of lame ass balloons, a fire truck or two and the city council on a crappy float pulled by a truck.
Macy's it ain't.
Total waste of time.
We go for the kids who want to get candy.

They've changed the route 3 times in the past 5 years. This was the first time down Mays. They advertised floating balloons and marching bands. The bands were the same Pipe & Fife band they always have, and a couple drumlines from local high schools. I wondered why they included balloons when I saw the traffic lights and power lines. Got big gaps when they had to pause to get a balloon past them.

Yeah, they had more car clubs this year than in the past. I wonder if they charge a fee to be in the parade? That would explain letting in anyone who wanted to be there.

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, South Austin said:

That sounds like something someone from 77808 would say.

That's a fair question.  I'm good at area codes and airport codes, but the way some Texans know exactly what your zip code is based on address or school is mind-bottling.  Same people that can recall what some poster name said 18 months ago about a random topic.  Some people have an encyclopedic knowledge of names and places.  It's impressive  The only zip codes I really remember are 78704 because I lived there for a few years and 78722 because the Crazy Lady needs love too.

Storm moving across the 49 into the 37, might make it to the 38 before petering out in the 36, should brush the 39 and touch into the 45, before falling apart.  Of course that doesn't accont for the new stuff popping up in the 35, which could get into the 33 before dissolving over the 34.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Where you hiking 8 miles in Cypress?

Not sure what people call these trails these days, but Cypresswood near Jones, behind Moore, what we called "Africa" growing up.  I know it is popular with mountain bikers, but I haven't ridden it yet.  Looks like it could be fun, but seems to change often when some trails erode into the creek/gully.  Plus the walk there I think it was 7.5 miles we did according to my phone.  not sure how accurate it is.