2018 Rain Thread

Hollywood

5 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

My Weather App - Austin Rain Prediction

Tuesday : Oh my gawd, it's gonna flood. Save yourself

Wednesday : It's going to be a pretty big rain event

Thursday : Austin will get a good soak

Friday: 50/50 chance of rain this weekend. 

Saturday: might get some sprinkles at night

Sunday: Forcefield brah

Heh heh, yeah I kind of pulled out early. Wasn't seeing the water carnage earlier in the week.  Now they backed off to chances of rain Saturday and Sunday, however now they're calling fot heavier rain on Monday and maybe Tuesday.

Kind of reminds me of the guy from airplane: "He's he's up, he's down, he's at 9,000 he's at 12,000, what an asshole!"

Leaning more toward periods of light to moderate rain at least for the weekend. I'll take next week separately. However, with daytime heating & the tropical nature of the system, it could definitely morph into something heavier. Right now, I'm not seeing it. Maybe that'll change tomorrow.

Edited by phdhorn

More rain towards this afternoon/evening.
Most rain, whatever that is, tomorrow.
Up through Wed., likely rain here/there, nothing widespread.
Rain tapers off towards Thur/Fri, chances of afternoon storms.
All over by Saturday.

Scattered areas around CenTex could get 3"-4".  The rest of us, rainy but not saturated periods, mainly in afternoon.
Yawn.

This was pretty surreal yesterday. Watching the storm move across downtown from the FIL’s back porch (you can sort of see the downtown skyline through the haze). Took a minute to grab my phone, but when I first noticed this the line of rain was perfectly perpendicular to the ground. Looked like someone was clearing an etch-a-sketch.
63ce2855b0b64991cc36920d25132b4e.jpg

• Like 4

Update:
Yeah, it's gonna rain more more than it looked like yesterday.  Complex pattern shaping up, definitely gonna rain hard SE Texas, depends on whether the trough moves up towards us.  
Tue-Thur, maybe into Friday or Sat even.  The thing has slowed down and is moving pretty snaily.   It's gonna rain a lot down SE of Austin to the coast.  How much of that gets up here still up for grabs.

But it's gonna rain around here, oh yes, it's gonna rain.
Back late tonight/early tomorrow w/more.

Edited by phdhorn

11 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Update:
Yeah, it's gonna rain more more than it looked like yesterday.  Complex pattern shaping up, definitely gonna rain hard SE Texas, depends on whether the trough moves up towards us.  
Tue-Thur, maybe into Friday or Sat even.  The thing has slowed down and is moving pretty snaily.   It's gonna rain a lot down SE of Austin to the coast.  How much of that gets up here still up for grabs.

I’ll believe it when it rains on me. 

You know, this morning, looking at the radar, it looked like it was moving north, but the local Jack kept saying it would be south of Galveston. Now Beaumont is getting it and Galveston been steadyfor the past couple hours. No wonder they missed Harvey.

54 minutes ago, Dewey said:

You know, this morning, looking at the radar, it looked like it was moving north, but the local Jack kept saying it would be south of Galveston. Now Beaumont is getting it and Galveston been steadyfor the past couple hours. No wonder they missed Harvey.

center of the low is SE of Corpus.  The outer bands have the most rain, those are going over Galveston NE to Beaumont.  This thing will fill in though closer to the center and SE Texas is going to get drenched.  Austin will definitely get wet, most of us, no doubt in my mind. I don't think this will be an Al Capone vault.

I'm getting all kinds of grief on the home front for not signing my kid up for some soccer camp.  I'm definitely rooting for rain, as it was my fallback excuse for not signing him up (when in reality I just didn't want to spend almost $200 for 10 hours of group "coaching").

Houston weather media has been whipping people into a frenzy since last week. We haven’t had a measurable rain (maybe 1/10th?) since then. All these field reporters wearing head to toe rain gear and it’s not raining.

6"-7" in some parts of SE Texas between 183 and the Texas Coast in only 3 hours overnight.  Flooding in parts of the Beaumont area.
We're not gonna get nearly that much, but it's gonna pick up after lunch time.  Bulk of rain in periods from later this afternoon through tomorrow afternoon..

Houston weather media has been whipping people into a frenzy since last week. We haven’t had a measurable rain (maybe 1/10th?) since then. All these field reporters wearing head to toe rain gear and it’s not raining.

Rain totals have been variable. We've had nearly 5 inches since last Thursday in 77057 while areas west near Katy have had less than 1/2 inch.

1 minute ago, BearSchlong said:

7.56 inches at my house over the last 2 days, 9.72 inches at the gauge closest to my office.

Mad props to Drainage District 6 here in Beaumont.  http://www.dd6.org/rainfall-elevations/maps/rainfall-data-map

My girlfriend said, "Kiss me where I'm really hot and really wet!"

So I took herr to Beaumont.

Update:

They are getting pounded. And not in the good way. Some of y'all may remember this from last year's Harvey thread but my grandpa's house was flooded then and he passed away before we could finish renovating after the flood. They updated EVERYTHING in that house, not just flood-damaged stuff. My parents just sold the house and it closes next week. Dad told me today the street is already underwater and they've gotten emergency alerts about the severe flash flooding - they didn't get those even during Harvey. I hope beyond hope these people don't get flooded again. This is my cousin's street in Bridge City.

7f2205462a935c270748471f265f1b52.png

24 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

goddammit...there’s a part of me that is grateful i don’t live in the Rusty Triangle anymore, but there’s a huge part of me that feels guilty about abandoning my peeps.

fuck...

Part of me wishes CenTex could take some of the length for them.   We need that rain bad and we’re not getting shit