2018 Rain Thread

Hollywood

phd...How accurate is the Texas Sage bloom at predicting rain? In my experience, it is generally pretty accurate, but I've only known about that phenomenon for about 6-7 years.

In any event, my Dad's wife just posted a photo of her Texas Sage in full bloom. She lives very close to you.

The forecast sure as shit doesn't look like rain, but I remember 2-3 years ago a Texas Sage bloom that came out of nowhere in a severe dry spell.

What's your take?

Edited by Orange^White

That's supposedly one of those myths (uh, like a forcefield) that scientists say bogus, but generations-residing Texans (and others) say it works.

The only problem is that the sage can do that with as little as 1/4" of rain.  The other problem is that it's actually a reactive plant, not predictive;  that means that maybe the rains from 2-3 weeks ago finally got the soil/chemicals just right for the sage to bloom like crazy.  But many people think that it's a foreshadowing, yet forget that it rained a lot some weeks back.

In our case, we had much higher than avg. early July rain and humidity; in fact, the last week was highly humid with normal temps (94°-96°),  My guess is that a prolonged humid spell (which we had) and good few days of rain (which we had, remember that we beat our July average by a good deal by the 2nd week in July) caused the blooms.

Nevertheless I've heard stories of farmers and other old-timers who say bullshit, that plant can predict rain, I've seen it too many times in my 129 years.  All I can say is it's probably a koinkydink, and they're seeing the aftermath of a weather pattern, not a presaging.  Since most of those old-timers have lots of rifles and shit on their property, I'm not gonna go against them.

After all, we know the forcefield exists, and fences Austin off with Sahara-like conditions, although the weather honks keep insisting that it doesn't exist, that what you think is rain "missing" you actually occurs similarly or more often in other locales (if you kept your eye on those), and that there is absolutely no meteorological, geological, or other basis for it...

... we know it's an absolutely, definite thing.  Right?

My Crepe Myrtle is sending out blooms, too, which usually means I'll probably not get laid tonight.  That one's pretty accurate.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

It's been like 8 years and he's still butthurt about the forcefield

It's been like 9 years and he's still massively not-even-on-the-scale-close to being right on this subject, with comments like this.  And he's stopped beating his wife and diddling little kids.

Edited by phdhorn

In our case, we had much higher than avg. early July rain and humidity; in fact, the last week was highly humid with normal temps (94°-96°),  My guess is that a prolonged humid spell (which we had) and good few days of rain (which we had, remember that we beat our July average by a good deal by the 2nd week in July) caused the blooms.

I had an extension agent tell me once that occasionally they will bloom before/at the beginning of an extended high pressure or dry spell, as a protective measure.

it rained on me coming in to work this morning (Austin).
granted it was only a dozen or so drops on the windshield but it was moisture from the sky!

Rained for 10 mins total (two separate occasions) this morning in 34 and yeah the sage was blooming over the weekend.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

The force field isn't really a force field.  It doesn't push rain away from Austin.  

It's actually a singularity that sucks in all moisture in the area, and funnels it directly over phd's home in Bee Cave.

So PhD has a hatch in his yard...???

On 7/24/2018 at 8:16 PM, Trey3216 said:

So PhD has a hatch in his yard...???

Got my ass some .05" of rain this mornin'!  White water rafting on Little Barton Creek, which runs just off my property.

My god, when will the rain end?

(for most of us/you people, 50% chance of mainly spotty rain today, but nothing that you're going to have to break out the sandbags for.  Most of us not much if any,)

Oh, and Texhorn, 1) I'm always fucking with you, 2) it always rains when I say it's raining over here in the Bee Cave Rain Forest Belt, although "rain" is kind of relative - "wet dew" some days.

So if doesn't rain at all by 1:00p in Austin, it ain't gonna rain at all?  That's the impression I'm getting.  And it looks like nothing on the horizon until the second weekend of August?  

This summer is like Bea Arthur, the longer it sticks around ---the angrier and drier it gets.  And it fucking hates Florida.  

13 minutes ago, Hate said:

Shit got real in Spring.

a29515c20267583ded3d5aa2ffefe067.jpg

"Millions brace for flooding."

"Houston under severe Thunderstorms"

"Electrical grids sure to fail." 

(Johnny Jacobs voice) Penney's is for sale!  

11 hours ago, Orange&White said:

phd...The forecasters are starting to hedge that this rain event will dip down into Central Texas.

NWS still seems bullsih, but other models appear to be backing off.

What's your opinion?

Front is going to stall more north than I'd like to see.  I think Williamson and up is going to get some good rain.
I don't think we'll get much around here.  More like a coastal shower type day, pop up here/there. 
Not a good rainmaker.  Like, you know, typical for August.

Temps will come down though due to more clouds.  Mid 90s max the next 2-3 days.

If the front does sag more south, I'll be back.  But otherwise, <yawn>.  Not much rain.

Except at my house in Bee Cave.