2018 Rain Thread

Hollywood

13 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Front is going to stall more north than I'd like to see.  I think Williamson and up is going to get some good rain.
I don't think we'll get much around here.  More like a coastal shower type day, pop up here/there. 
Not a good rainmaker.  Like, you know, typical for August.

Temps will come down though due to more clouds.  Mid 90s max the next 2-3 days.

If the front does sag more south, I'll be back.  But otherwise, <yawn>.  Not much rain.

Except at my house in Bee Cave.

Ditto in H-town.  Weather guys and gals backing off rain chances down here.  60% chance of less than one inch. 

49 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

little storm headed toward Waco now.  Should be here in about 30.  Hope the force field is down

30 minutes later and it isn't any closer. That shit will die right before the lake.

Waco is sitting on 9.04 inches so far in 2018...hell anyone could take that length.

Edited by SimonBolivar

Yeah, I had about half a foot of rain overnight in Bee Cave.

Anyway, nah I wasn't being a rain tease, because nature's doing it already.
If you look at radar, there is a nice, long, soaking, potent band of rain.
But - it's running a NE direction from Junction up through Tyler.  All about 90 miles NW of us (as I said the other day,  I wish the front had sunk about 50 miles farther south, then we'd be getting wetter than a MILF at a Michael Bolton concert).

do think that before Sunday morning, some of this will slip far enough south, especially with daytime heating, to put spots of good, brief rain down among us.  But not widespread.  Also, this front is a focal point to pull up showers from the Gulf, so any rain could come from the SE/Gulf.

I think a lot of us will get a lawn-greener shower but no, this isn't a subliminal rain event for CenTex.  Again, the farther norf and maybe west you are (i.e. Central WillieCo and up) the better.  Austin and immediate suburbs, hit/miss.

Silver lining I guess is that clouds will keep temps down a few degrees.

If everyone takes a shit and flushes at the same time, maybe the resulting drop in pressure will pull down the bulk of this rain.  Short of that, gonna be mostly dry, I think, but not hope, for Travis and south/east.

Looks like it's raining in places that will at least help the highland lakes.  I saw some LCRA data the other day that the rate of inflow into the lakes was the lowest EVER, including the period of drought in 2011.  I have my doubts (I think they were talking about inflow over a significant period of time), but whatever the case, inflow is low as hell, and the lakes need a good bump.

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Looks like it's raining in places that will at least help the highland lakes.  I saw some LCRA data the other day that the rate of inflow into the lakes was the lowest EVER, including the period of drought in 2011.  I have my doubts (I think they were talking about inflow over a significant period of time), but whatever the case, inflow is low as hell, and the lakes need a good bump.

Sorry, but this ain't gonna help the lakes much.  Maybe tree-point-fiddy inches. 

215px-Debbie_Downer.PNG

Edited by phdhorn

I checked quite a few river gauges last week, trying to plan a late summer river trip, and more than 5 were registering 0 cfs. Now, I was told there would be no maths, but I would think even the tiniest bit of runoff would get these gauges to a number larger than zero (if there is such thing). But once again, maths.

Edited by UnivTex34

If everyone takes a shit and flushes at the same time, maybe the resulting drop in pressure will pull down the bulk of this rain.  Short of that, gonna be mostly dry, I think, but not hope, for Travis and south/east.

Well why didn't you say so earlier

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Speaking of that, anyone been on the Perd lately or know the water level?

15 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Well why didn't you say so earlier

Because you didn't post that you had to take a shit.

Today rain chances pick up a bit.  Still most of it will be W/N of us, but a trough has developed where the Mexican cartels hole up, and this should slink N/NE today.  Plus we have a stream of moisture coming in now from the Gulf, and that front hanging out to the north.

I.e. we have weathermakers and weather all around us, like all 4 directions.  But we're in a donut hole (again, predicted, nothing  surprising here).  Some of these storms will meander over to parts of us (finally) but again, hit/miss.

Clouds will hang out today and tomorrow, keeping temps down.  If we get some rain, might barely hit 90° in spots.

All this moves out by Monday morning.  So troops, this is it.  If not today especially into tomorrow (and slightly less but still good chance Sunday), that's it.

On the horizon... El Niño awakens...

24 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Because you didn't post that you had to take a shit.

Today rain chances pick up a bit.  Still most of it will be W/N of us, but a trough has developed where the Mexican cartels hole up, and this should slink N/NE today.  Plus we have a stream of moisture coming in now from the Gulf, and that front hanging out to the north.

I.e. we have weathermakers and weather all around us, like all 4 directions.  But we're in a donut hole (again, predicted, nothing  surprising here).  Some of these storms will meander over to parts of us (finally) but again, hit/miss.

Clouds will hang out today and tomorrow, keeping temps down.  If we get some rain, might barely hit 90° in spots.

All this moves out by Monday morning.  So troops, this is it.  If not today especially into tomorrow (and slightly less but still good chance Sunday), that's it.

On the horizon... El Niño awakens...

Well of course we're in the donut hole and of course it is not surprising.

Anyone care to speculate WHY Austin is always in the donut hole?  Hmmmmmmm???????

Wife sent me this. Said it did not rain at the house while being surrounded on all sides by moisture. f8dc8c76155494a9e3d99e2a8ec65529.jpg

That’s interesting, the last time I was at your house your wife had me surrounded on all sides by moisture.

I was thankful for the forcefield yesterday as I was with my brother and his kids at blue hole the. Out in town lake for some kayaking. I feel the talent in town lake was slightly below average because people thought it might rain.

Need Shoal Creek to get something, anything.  It's been brackish above 24th Street (and probably south of there) and normally there's lots of fun fishing with my son along there.  A neighbor has taken to catching fish out of the smaller pools that are drying up and transporting them to the larger pools to try and keep things going.