2018 Rain Thread

Hollywood

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

And yet the lakes have barely budged.  unpossible.  

I get your frustration, but in truth Lake Travis is up close to 3 feet in 2 weeks, that's actually a quite substantial amount for a non-major-flooding type event.  This has just been consistent, steady rain over a 2+ week span.  I'd love more, but I'm happy with this for sure.

Have a 1st and 3rd grader in rec sports. Third Saturday in a row with rained out games. 

The keep trying to reschedule them, and now we've got seemingly every weekend in October with games on both Sat and Sun. Jeez, I mean I get wanting to give people their $80 worth or whatever, but I'd like a day to get to the ranch and fart around. They don't even keep official score in U7! And on my daughters team, its a 5 team league. They play everyone 3 times! Maybe we can play one team just twice. We'll manage. Nobody is getting promoted to the top league. 

14 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

Goddammit did I really need an emergency alert on my phone at 6:30 this morning over a little rain?

Remember that about half the population has basically been transported out of Idiocracy and onto the roadways. Only about half of that number will attempt to drive their Prius through a flooded intersection if you hit them with enough emergency alerts. 

I have my phone alerts turned off but it did save several of my friends' lives in boerne a few memorial days ago.

Remember that about half the population has basically been transported out of Idiocracy and onto the roadways. Only about half of that number will attempt to drive their Prius through a flooded intersection if you hit them with enough emergency alerts. 

KXAN reporting that 90+ people in need of rescue from a wedding venue in Liberty Hill off CR 279 due to the San Gabriel river flooding. Apparently rescue activities began around 4AM. Thirty+ have been evacuated, dozens more are stuck on the 2nd level of the venue.

More details. The wedding was scheduled for today. Some of the guests were actually camping in tents on the facility when the flooding started. They're interviewing the father of the groom to be on KXAN now.

Edited by GhostOfTomJoad

A flood warning is in effect Saturday for the South Fork San Gabriel River at Georgetown, which at 6:30 a.m. had reached 16.9 feet. Flood stage is 9 feet.

The river is expected to crest at just above 26 feet, which is major flood level, by Saturday afternoon, Williamson County Emergency Services said. It will not fall below flood stage until Sunday morning.

Video of Blue Hole this morning:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

KXAN reporting that 90+ people in need of rescue from a wedding venue in Liberty Hill off CR 279 due to the San Gabriel river flooding. Apparently rescue activities began around 4AM. Thirty+ have been evacuated, dozens more are stuck on the 2nd level of the venue.

More details. The wedding was scheduled for today. Some of the guests were actually camping in tents on the facility when the flooding started. They're interviewing the father of the groom to be on KXAN now.

Shouldn't have scheduled wedding on a Saturday during football season.

• Like 2

Well, I'm leaving for home in two days, after 4 weeks in Our Nation's Capital.

It has rained - and mostly rained hard = 90% of the entire fucking time.  I feel like I'm in the Orinoco Basin.  It was a miracle we could get our outside work done on the house at all, and they had to do the painting yesterday in the short break we've had in the rain, before the rain came in again.

Which it has.

My god, it's like fucking Seattle here.  And no one really wants to live in Seattle, no matter what they say.

I posted all of this because I know no one gives a flying shitfuck about the weather in D.C.   That's just the way I roll.

See you gasbags Thursday.

5 minutes ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

I know we're a week away, but what's the forecast shaping up like for the first week of ACL?
I say ACL, but I have a kids double header next weekend where 3 out of 6 of our linemen will be out and we'll get killed if we end up playing

Well Friday (first day of festival) is looking like mid-80's with 80%+ humidity and some chance of showers.  Who gives a shit about light rain, but that does put midday heat index, just before McCartney starts playing around 90 degrees plus.  not enough to deter festival-goers who love his music, but at least worth noting for preparation purposes.  I for one will be leaving my long sleeve shirts at home and look forward to the underbutt.