Seattle

workswithseed

I can deal with homeless and/or drug addicts in the downtown area. I spend quite a bit of time in Denver and Co Springs and never had any issues.

Not a csb/ because I legitimately feel bad to this day, but I had two guys approach my wife and I on the edge of Chinatown and the pier in San Fran and it did not end well for them. That was the last straw and legitimately freaked her out as far as the west coast and the stigma of what these more progressive/liberal cities have become.

So I guess I'm asking about the level of civil unrest in general that seemed to be pretty intense there for a couple years.

57 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I can deal with homeless and/or drug addicts in the downtown area. I spend quite a bit of time in Denver and Co Springs and never had any issues.

Not a csb/ because I legitimately feel bad to this day, but I had two guys approach my wife and I on the edge of Chinatown and the pier in San Fran and it did not end well for them. That was the last straw and legitimately freaked her out as far as the west coast and the stigma of what these more progressive/liberal cities have become.

So I guess I'm asking about the level of civil unrest in general that seemed to be pretty intense there for a couple years.

Nah.  They've all ran back into their holes.  You're not gonna see that.  Seattle is famous for their May Day riots and even that has not been anything.  You'll be ok.  The night life just isn't as vibrant as it used to be.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Oh, and csb. Couple days ago I needed something from a hardware store and the closest one to me that had it in stock was the “north Seattle” Lowe’s store, so I head over there about 830 pm. 

what I didn’t know at the time is that

1) the store is on Aurora Ave 

and

2) I shouldn’t be on Aurora Ave, especially at 9pm. 

had my eyes opened and then did some googling when I got back. 

Should have gone to the Home Depot instead... close to Lowes on Aurora, but in a much less "colorful" location.

You newcomers to Seattle should check out some clips from the old show "Almost Live!"  It ran in Seattle in the '80s and '90s.  It was a half hour comedy show about Seattle, that came on just before SNL (hence the name). 

There's some broader comedy and commentary, but there are also lots of skits making fun of Seattle and surrounding neighborhoods.  It's a good way to learn some of the local stereotypes, even if they're 40 years old. 

You'll see some familiar faces, like Bill Nye and Joel McHale. 

This link should take you to a playlist of skits.  I like the Ballard Driving School one; the High Fivin' White guys go all around Seattle; it's cool seeing Bill Nye before he was famous.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdZfCeaOqkGoRYMfhIqrDDkINN08ThBFp

I might go through this list later and pick out a few good ones. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...

Question for Seattle-area residents:  My daughter (senior in high school, no pics/fuck off) has UDub as her top school.  Sort of an odd choice since she doesn't know anybody else there or any other classmates who want to go there.  But she wants to go to college far away from Texas (she's also looking at Oregon and a couple private schools in Portland), my dad's from the Pacific Northwest, I have an aunt and cousin who live in Seattle, and she's really liked the city the two times I've taken her there, the most recent one two summers ago when we toured the campus.  

So my question:  How much of an adjustment will the rain be for a Texas girl?  A friend from Texas had a judicial clerkship in Seattle and overall loved his one year there, but he said that the long stretch with rain and little sun did start to get to him midway through.  She might welcome that climate after enduring the Texas heat all her life, especially this last bitch of a summer, and weather might not be a huge factor in deciding on a school.  But was curious to hear from some local folks about what it's like, aside from the outsiders' general impression that it just rains a lot in that part of the country for a long time.  I don't expect that to change her mind, but would like for her to know what to expect. 

Edited by South Austin

Not much.   Seattle averages in the low 40 in annually.   Most over late fall to early spring, drizzles about 50% of the days.  Summer is 95% sunshine and in the 70s’.   She will wonder how she tolerated Texas.

Udub is a great school, equivalent generally to UT. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/10/2023 at 7:12 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

They didn’t become that way because they are progressive, they became that way because they were good weather options, mostly.

• Hook 'Em 1

South Austin, have your girl invest in a good rain jacket, with hood.  Most of the rain up there is light enough, that you can just put on your jacket and go right out in it.  If you go hiking or something like that, you might want rain pants, too.  But for walking around campus, a good jacket is all you need.

I moved there in August 1998.  My 2nd cousin had a houseboat on Lake Union.  He and I were drinking beer on his roof, watching the sail planes land on the lake, and he told me to remember days like that in winter, when I wouldn't know whether to get out of bed or kill myself. 

My first February up there it was partly sunny 1 day.  Cloudy and rainy 27 days.  That was a beating.  But memories of last summer and anticipation of next summer kept me going. 

After a while, you just accept the rain.  You realize, it's Seattle, it's supposed to rain.

This is a popular poster available at Pike Place Market and those 'Made in Washington' stores:

il_1140xN.2148194171_6m8d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Lived there through 4 straight falls. Rain is not the issue. Short days and lack of sunshine is the problem, especially in November and December. Once the area slopes are open (Snoqualmie, Stevens, Crystal) you learn to survive by getting out on the mountain as often as possible. It gives you something genuinely fun to look forward to on the weekends, which I found to be critical.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Lived there through 4 straight falls. Rain is not the issue. Short days and lack of sunshine is the problem, especially in November and December. Once the area slopes are open (Snoqualmie, Stevens, Crystal) you learn to survive by getting out on the mountain as often as possible. It gives you something genuinely fun to look forward to on the weekends, which I found to be critical.

This right here. My wife is from the PNW and I accepted a transfer to Seattle for work a number of years back. I came home super excited to tell her as it would put us near her siblings in the San Juans and her parents in SW Washington. She looked at me like I had two heads. Her exact words to me were get back to me in November and December and see if you feel the same way.

I commuted up there for three years from AZ and the rain never really bothered me. It was a nice change of pace from AZ and it didn't really rain that hard. It was the short days that I hated. Going to work in the dark and leaving in the dark. Zero time for outdoor recreation in sunlight during the weekdays. Just absolutely brutal. 

Summers in the PNW are the absolute best. We have access to a family lakehouse in WA and love getting out of the TX summer heat. Come Christmas when we make our annual pilgrimage to the PNW, I absolutely dread it. I will never be able to get accustomed to those short days. I would love summers up there and winters in AZ.

On 7/28/2023 at 5:05 PM, RichUT said:

Visited a buddy in January and went up to Stevens for a couple of days which I thought was really cool... easy access to a great mountain.  I thought it was awesome.  Met up a client for dinner and he told me about his son's set up with his high school... once a week the school gets a bus and takes them out to Stevens for night skiing. In the end, I guess you make do with it.  At least the area is lush and beautiful and you can take your frustration out on the snow.

Before I moved up here 2.5 years ago from SoCal I researched the 'darkness' issue...turns out there is more annual light here due to the very long summer days. Wife and I totally love it here. Some of the locals have condos on the east side to escape the gloom, but the grayness is fine with us. We live on an island, and the wind/clouds are part of the charm. The wind knocking down trees, and the trees knocking out the power, not so much. Generac and a 500 gallon propane tank solved that issue.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, otisdog said:

Before I moved up here 2.5 years ago from SoCal I researched the 'darkness' issue...turns out there is more annual light here due to the very long summer days. Wife and I totally love it here. Some of the locals have condos on the east side to escape the gloom, but the grayness is fine with us. We live on an island, and the wind/clouds are part of the charm. The wind knocking down trees, and the trees knocking out the power, not so much. Generac and a 500 gallon propane tank solved that issue.

I did the opposite move.  Seattle to OC.  I have some ragerts but it's so much more entertaining for kids here.  I loved Seattle though.  Still miss it.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Just moved out here with the family a couple of months ago - its been a kind of sensory overload with just how much hiking/exploring there is to do around here.  Think I'm going to use this thread as a checklist and start going through each page of suggestions.

I’ve been to skyqualmie falls and Wallace falls so far.  There’s some falls in Olympia NP but I’m out east so going that direction first. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

note to self: don't go to the Pike street market during seafair weekend. holy panic attack clusterfuck.

Don't got to Pike Place on any weekend.   Week days are your friend.   But don't forget Lowell's for breakfast and a view of Elliott Bay.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

Don't got to Pike Place on any weekend.   Week days are your friend.   But don't forget Lowell's for breakfast and a view of Elliott Bay.  

Yep - we made a rookie mistake and went on a Saturday.  We got there at opening, which wasn't too bad, but by 11am it was a fucking madhouse.  Literally shoulder to shoulder with people.  

Never endured a winter up there, but did a summer working at a camp around Puget Sound and have taken other trips up there. I love the PNW. Bold statement, I know. 

It's high up on my list of places to escape Texas, though I do worry about winters. To be honest, I love the dreariness, but I do think the short days mentioned above might get me. But 'dem summers...

happy excited GIF

If you're retired, are the short days a problem?  Google Fu says the shortest daylight day is 9.6 hours.  That's a plenty long day of outdoor activities when you aren't constrained by a schedule.  

For comparison, the shortest day in Austin is 11.1 hours. Not a drastic difference.

Edited by CooterBrown

15 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

If you're retired, are the short days a problem?  Google Fu says the shortest daylight day is 9.6 hours.  That's a plenty long day of outdoor activities when you aren't constrained by a schedule.  

For comparison, the shortest day in Austin is 11.1 hours. Not a drastic difference.

The issue for some people though is the 9.6 hours are very often overcast and dreary.   It didn't bother me but different people handle it in their own way.

On 8/7/2023 at 10:27 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

I’ve been to skyqualmie falls and Wallace falls so far.  There’s some falls in Olympia NP but I’m out east so going that direction first. 

Well, the next ones on the list should be Franklin Falls (not this summer, though, due to construction- it's gorgeous when we get snow/ice, and is an easy hike) and Bridal Veil Falls (and you might as well keep on going up to Lake Serene). Franklin is just beyond Snoqualmie (up I-90), and Bridal Veil/Serene is right off of Rt. 2 (a bit further on from Wallace)

Edited by NWBuck

I’ve lived in Boise for 9 years and the short days still don’t bother me after 30+ years of swamp ass in Texas. Appreciate the hell out of Winter and snow pack levels. Fall and Spring kick enough ass to deal with short days and an inversion in Dec and Jan.

29 minutes ago, South Austin said:

That sounds really awesome right now.

If someone said, "Macanudo, do you want to go somewhere for the next 90 days and it will rain, be dark 16 hours of the day and temps won't get north of 50-55 that whole time, what would say"

Me:  "What time does the plane leave?'

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/8/2023 at 10:30 PM, NWBuck said:

Well, the next ones on the list should be Franklin Falls (not this summer, though, due to construction- it's gorgeous when we get snow/ice, and is an easy hike) and Bridal Veil Falls (and you might as well keep on going up to Lake Serene). Franklin is just beyond Snoqualmie (up I-90), and Bridal Veil/Serene is right off of Rt. 2 (a bit further on from Wallace)

Headed up to bridal veil falls this morning.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Bumping to solicit intel from locals/formal locals/frequent visitors. 

We've been to Seattle before, granted in the summer, and my wife's sister lived in Seattle for a little while and is now on the east side. We're kicking around leaving Texas for several reasons and the Seattle area is at the top of the list. Wife is currently interviewing for promising a job in that would potentially base her out of... Tacoma, which we're not as familiar with. Might still opt to live in Seattle depending on the specific working arrangement; but commuting from Seattle to Pierce County more than like once, maybe twice a week is probably a pass for her, understandably.

Looking at going up and visiting for a long weekend next month to experience the short, dark days and get some time on the ground in Tacoma. My read from perusing the local subreddits is and the like that Tacoma is absolutely still rougher around the edges with more crime than Seattle, but also more diverse and has cleaned up quite a bit from the 80's-90's. More affordable than Seattle, although it's experienced rapid housing cost increases as well. Dining scene obviously smaller than Seattle but seems to be okay for what it is. Easy enough to get to Seattle or the east side on the weekends if needed. Seems like the greater North End is where you want to be, in general.

Anyone have any reason to dispute that, or anything to add? And any Tacoma food/drink recs for visitors?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Bumping to solicit intel from locals/formal locals/frequent visitors. 

We've been to Seattle before, granted in the summer, and my wife's sister lived in Seattle for a little while and is now on the east side. We're kicking around leaving Texas for several reasons and the Seattle area is at the top of the list. Wife is currently interviewing for promising a job in that would potentially base her out of... Tacoma, which we're not as familiar with. Might still opt to live in Seattle depending on the specific working arrangement; but commuting from Seattle to Pierce County more than like once, maybe twice a week is probably a pass for her, understandably.

Looking at going up and visiting for a long weekend next month to experience the short, dark days and get some time on the ground in Tacoma. My read from perusing the local subreddits is and the like that Tacoma is absolutely still rougher around the edges with more crime than Seattle, but also more diverse and has cleaned up quite a bit from the 80's-90's. More affordable than Seattle, although it's experienced rapid housing cost increases as well. Dining scene obviously smaller than Seattle but seems to be okay for what it is. Easy enough to get to Seattle or the east side on the weekends if needed. Seems like the greater North End is where you want to be, in general.

Anyone have any reason to dispute that, or anything to add? And any Tacoma food/drink recs for visitors?

All true.  Not sure what your budget is but Seattle is way more than any Texas city and I want to say that Tacoma is close to Dallas prices?  There's nice areas there as well.

Any kids?  Tacoma isn't Seattle but it's got some character and characters but I don't think it's as bad as you may think.  I'd live there and then do some weekends in Seattle which is a magnificent city.

• Like 1

I love Tacoma, and would live there if I didn't work in Seattle. Although, with the light rail expansion, some of that will be mitigated. 

Wife lived in the Hilltop area near Stadium high school (10 Things I Hate About You) before we got married. The Stadium District has really developed... Food, pubs, coffee shops; and downtown has a great vibe with all the museums (near the UW extension).

There's an area just beyond the Stadium District called the North End that has some great older houses overlooking the Sound. And a bit further north is Point Defiance, a huge park with great hiking trails, a replica fort/settlement, and a pretty cool zoo. 

Another nice area is University Place, right near the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. If you are OK commuting and want to be away from the urban core, Gig Harbor is just across the bridge. 

Let me know if I can be of any additional assistance. 

Edited by NWBuck
  • Like 1

All true.  Not sure what your budget is but Seattle is way more than any Texas city and I want to say that Tacoma is close to Dallas prices?  There's nice areas there as well.

Any kids?  Tacoma isn't Seattle but it's got some character and characters but I don't think it's as bad as you may think.  I'd live there and then do some weekends in Seattle which is a magnificent city.

No kids, not yet anyway. Looking into rents and home prices, Tacoma seems more or less on par with the Heights and similarly desirable neighborhoods in Houston. Higher cost/sf but frankly the utility of additional space really starts to taper off pretty quick with it just being just the two of us. We would have way more options to buy in Tacoma, whereas in Seattle we’d only be talking entry level condos or smaller townhomes. Can afford rent in either one and would most likely look to rent initially for the flexibility anyway.

Definitely don’t have a bad impression of the place, it wasn’t really on my radar initially just given where we’ve spent our time up there and where my SIL lives, but I’m finding it pretty easy to talk myself into it. It may be a little small/sleepy for our taste but it might be a better value prop than Seattle proper, and fuck them suburbs.

That sense of character seems to be a recurring theme and coming from Houston that is honestly is appealing. Houston has a similar lack of polish and it’s one of the more endearing things about the city (except when it starts manifesting into actual dysfunction). Seattle is great overall but it is definitely more analogous to Austin with both having a massive influx of tech money and the degree of cultural sterilization that comes with that.
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

No kids, not yet anyway. Looking into rents and home prices, Tacoma seems more or less on par with the Heights and similarly desirable neighborhoods in Houston. Higher cost/sf but frankly the utility of additional space really starts to taper off pretty quick with it just being just the two of us. We would have way more options to buy in Tacoma, whereas in Seattle we’d only be talking entry level condos or smaller townhomes. Can afford rent in either one and would most likely look to rent initially for the flexibility anyway.

Definitely don’t have a bad impression of the place, it wasn’t really on my radar initially just given where we’ve spent our time up there and where my SIL lives, but I’m finding it pretty easy to talk myself into it. It may be a little small/sleepy for our taste but it might be a better value prop than Seattle proper, and fuck them suburbs.

That sense of character seems to be a recurring theme and coming from Houston that is honestly is appealing. Houston has a similar lack of polish and it’s one of the more endearing things about the city (except when it starts manifesting into actual dysfunction). Seattle is great overall but it is definitely more analogous to Austin with both having a massive influx of tech money and the degree of cultural sterilization that comes with that.

Glad you realize that things are smaller when you leave Texas.   We just learn to live with less space.  If you can afford Seattle I’d choose Seattle over Tacoma.  But I’m pretty biased.  One of my favorite cities.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We lived in University Place on the west side of Tacoma and loved it.   Tacoma does have some less desirable areas but the W/NW sides are very nice.   You could also look at stuff across the Narrows Bridge over around Gig Harbor.  

Another idea is Bonney Lake/Sumner/Tapps Lake east of Puyallup.  

I really enjoyed the Tacoma area.   You're 60-90 minutes from Rainier, 90 minutes from the coast and the Kitsap Peninsula has a lot of cool areas to explore.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1