Austin area US Rep Chip Roy blocks 20 bil Disaster Relief

Pasken

....because of lack of border wall funding.

(CNN)A disaster relief bill was prevented from advancing in the US House of Representatives on Friday after Republican Rep. Chip Roy of Texas objected to passing the bill, meaning the more than $19 billion in aid may not go to President Donald Trump's desk for his signature before June. 

Lawmakers had hoped to advance the bill using unanimous consent which would quickly pass it out of the chamber. But it only takes one person to object to unanimous consent. 
With Congress now in recess until June 3, it appears unlikely a vote would happen before then.
Roy cited the lack of money for the border -- which Trump had sought -- and the $19 billion price tag as two reasons for his objection. He also objected to approving a bill for $19 billion without all members getting the chance to vote on the measure. 

Roy discussed his reasons objecting with reporters in the Capitol on Friday.
"The primary objection is really that we didn't have a chance to vote. It's the people's House," the congressman said. 
"We're not elected to have things pass through consent without debate. We should have had a vigorous debate and we should have a debate about why we're not securing the border and why we're spending money we don't have," he added. 
Roy was also asked if he coordinated his move with anyone and said that he "gave a heads up to the Speaker's office and Republican leadership," and that there is "a significant amount of support among the [House GOP] conference for objecting given that it's a Friday and this was dropped on our laps and we should have a debate, we should vote."
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi condemned the move in a statement on Friday afternoon, calling it a "last-minute sabotage." 
"House Republicans' last-minute sabotage of an overwhelmingly bipartisan disaster relief bill is an act of staggering political cynicism," Pelosi said. "Countless American families hit by devastating natural disasters across the country will now be denied the relief they urgently need."
Trump has said publicly that he would sign this bill even without the border funding he had previously requested.

• Like 2

Guest Lobo

Chip, I said to make a name for yourself buddy—-but this is not what I meant.  

While Chip was pulling this bullshit, Kopser spent yesterday drumming up impact investment opportunities for central Texas that benefit not only communities, but also the veterans that start them and work at them.  Chip knows parts of his district get flooded by natural disasters right?   

Chip Roy: I’m what Ambien takes when Ambien can’t fall asleep   

18 minutes ago, Pasken said:

We should have had a vigorous debate and we should have a debate about why we're not securing the border and why we're spending money we don't have," he added. 

So Chip voted no because we're not spending more money on border security, but also because we're spending money we don't have??? I can only deduce that securing the border must be free, and Chip should inform the Dotard before he shuts down the government again for no reason.

These idiots just string together words/sound bites that mean nothing. And that truly is a both sides issue, they all do it. Fucking idiots running this country.

Strange move because I don't think for a second that Cruz's former chief of staff (Chip Roy) doesn't understand the political push-back that he risks. You would have to guess that he did this on the orders from Trump  in exchange for something. Perhaps a Trump rally in the area in 2020.

Yeah, this just screams "doing Donald a solid".  Trump didn't want to either sign (as promised) or not sign (in a rare moment of not wanting to look like a raging hypocrite).  So, Chip blocks the bill and Trump gets off easy.

What's even dumber is that the bill will be passed overwhelmingly and on a bipartisan basis when the House returns. Chip knows that. So all he is doing is postponing aid. People with nothing will now have to wait at least another week for assistance, all because of one fucking idiot.  

Pay attention republicans:

What he’s telling you is if a natural disaster strikes and your life and home are ruined, he doesn’t give a fuck about you or your problems.  He’ll vote to spend money “we don’t have” anywhere it suits his personal interests. There’s nothing to gain for Chip helping sacks of shit like you.

pull the fucking lever you monkeys.

• Like 2

Strange move because I don't think for a second that Cruz's former chief of staff (Chip Roy) doesn't understand the political push-back that he risks. You would have to guess that he did this on the orders from Trump  in exchange for something. Perhaps a Trump rally in the area in 2020.

Trump offered a golden shower

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think Trump won his district by 52%, his seat up for grabs IMO 

He only won 50-48. The growing part of his district - SW Austin, Hays County, and north SA and suburbs andsn't the most GOP friendly these days. He can absolutely be had in 2020.

Edit: He being Chip Roy, Pride of Maryland, that is.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Zombie said:

What a fucking prick. He claims to be a budget hawk but voted for tax cuts that will explode the deficit another one or two trillion. Republicans are amazing. 

He wasn't in office then.

His stated reasoning is idiotic. 

However, knowing Congress, I wonder if there’s pork put in that bill because it was expected to sail thru without scrutiny as an aid package.

further knowing congress, I’d assume any rigorous debate of such would only result in more pork to appease congress members, not less.

21 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Ahhh fiscal conservatism! The most impressive thing is that an R tried to fuck that chicken with a straight face.

Bravo, Chip!

Results of Trump's "fiscal conservatism"

U.S._Federal_Deficit_Stacked_Bar_Chart_-_2018_to_2027.png

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Blotto said:

So Chip voted no because we're not spending more money on border security, but also because we're spending money we don't have??? I can only deduce that securing the border must be free, and Chip should inform the Dotard before he shuts down the government again for no reason.

These idiots just string together words/sound bites that mean nothing. And that truly is a both sides issue, they all do it. Fucking idiots electing the fucking idiots who are ostensibly running this country.

FIFY