Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

48 minutes ago, skittlebrau said:

Good job by the Austin Police Union to throw gasoline on the fire since not everyone saw "hire more cops" as the solution to this issue.

Has confuse for reals.  The union had been asking for more cops for a long time, well before this latest repeal.  Honest question—-what is the police issue here, in your opinion?

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Has confuse for reals.  The union had been asking for more cops for a long time, well before this latest repeal.  Honest question—-what is the police issue here, in your opinion?

Well, the main one is that the APU is trying to stick it to Council for what went down with the contract last year. Throwing your hands up and claiming you can’t enforce things that are clearly illegal and telling Council that they’ve sent a message that they don’t want any of the laws still on the books to be enforced, which is what APD has done, is one way to do it. 

The ordinance changes also mean that we don’t need cops to respond to nuisance calls, which reduces their workload, which undercuts the arguments for more officers. Public safety is a huuuuuge part of our budget and the contention between the costs of the police department and every other thing the city does is only going to get bigger when revenue caps hit.

• Like 2

This is set up on a 711 property on 10th and Lamar. The fuckers have a letter from the city saying they have a right to be on it because this little section is city property. When cops were called they were powerless to do anything according to the Franchisee.

There's trash upon trash left by them near the giant trash bins that costs $450 per month. Bravo 5c648ed9fe31658c0a72c8812dec72f2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

One of the crappy things about Austin as it has always, always, been run by relatively highly paid, well meaning, but incompetent boobs. This is because normally most of the city don’t give a shit so long as the proverbial trains (yeah that’s a euphemism) run somewhat occasionally on time, or maybe just not too late. 

Whenever newcomers here come in thinking that Austin is such a great run city, its just mind boggling to me. This city became great in spite of its city government, not because of it.  

But one of the great things about Austin, is that when the relatively high paid well meaning but incompetent boobs make one of their inevitable mistakes, almost invariable the City of Austin public wakes up, or at least the small but powerful part that can do something about it, and rises up and squashes their dreams of their incompetence and transforms the city to whatever it is is their liking, for better or worse. 

I suspect the same thing will happen here. The treatment of the homeless is a serious problem,  but I suspect the pressures will come to actually somewhat fix it so that were not all on here posting about it constantly, again for better or worse. 

Localized and narrow civic engagement and sticking your butt into a problem has always been an Austin birthright. Its why both the traffic is so bad and why the inner city neighborhoods all survived because the government eventually decided to not create freeways that would have likely decimated said neighborhoods. You take the good with the bad. 

The city’s recently fucked up with the homeless. Unlike  in some other places, I believe it can and will be fixed. 

34 minutes ago, skittlebrau said:

I’ve been in a couple conversations with CM Flannigan over the last week and I think they are moving toward real solutions that we haven’t tried here before. Council totally let the narrative get away from them and the pragmatics among them have been strangely silent.

"Haven't tried before"???  Flannigan, Houston, and Ellis are the best council members up there.  But if after 175 years, we are gonna try "real solutions that we haven't tired here before"...that could be a problem.  

1 minute ago, immortal13 said:

Can't read it.  I'm sure it's some quote where I said they did something I didn't like.  So now we are in truly uncharted waters.  Sometimes people do shit after they did normal shit.  

I'll give you an example---today Council Member Kitchen talked about putting $50k through that would evaluate the feasibility of tele-health services.  Before we deploy $250K/YEAR to do that, let's beta test if at a clip of $50/one year.  I'm all for it and her office has a really great and specific way to carry it out.  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Can't read it.  I'm sure it's some quote where I said they did something I didn't like.  So now we are in truly uncharted waters.  Sometimes people do shit after they did normal shit.  

I'll give you an example---today Council Member Kitchen talked about putting $50k through that would evaluate the feasibility of tele-health services.  Before we deploy $250K/YEAR to do that, let's beta test if at a clip of $50/one year.  I'm all for it and her office has a really great and specific way to carry it out.  

It was just a derp post/quote. Couldn't get it to clear off ... 

57 minutes ago, Lobo said:

"Haven't tried before"???  Flannigan, Houston, and Ellis are the best council members up there.  But if after 175 years, we are gonna try "real solutions that we haven't tired here before"...that could be a problem.  

NHM, not Houston, right?

Stuff like this. And real budget money in programs designed to change things and not just band aids.

City, county to look to private investors to help on homelessness: Under the model, Social Finance, a nonprofit that specializes in Pay for Success programs, recruits private investors to provide upfront capital to operate the program. The public sector entities – the city and county – will reimburse the investors based on the results of the program. If the program performs poorly, the investors may not earn any reimbursement. If it performs very well, the investors will get back enough money to turn a profit

There are tent cities under the 183 overpass near Lamar.

And at 183 and Braker, there's what looks like a four-bedroom shack made of pallets.

And on the Congress bridge at Ben White, pup tents, recliners, and a smoker.

These people are living better than I did between Riverside and Oltorf in '95 and '96.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

Depends.  Declaring ourselves The People's Republic of Travis County, seceding from Texas, putting up a wall around Travis County, and well, yes, it's going to be expensive, but maybe we should just let things play out and see where they take us.

17 hours ago, Facemask said:

This is set up on a 711 property on 10th and Lamar. The fuckers have a letter from the city saying they have a right to be on it because this little section is city property. When cops were called they were powerless to do anything according to the Franchisee.

There's trash upon trash left by them near the giant trash bins that costs $450 per month. Bravo 5c648ed9fe31658c0a72c8812dec72f2.jpg

Rug would really tie that together

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, skittlebrau said:

Didn't you go to high school with Edwin Waller?

I mean, technically 183 wasn't a freeway when I moved here, so I should have said they've been there for at least the last decade or so.

Yeah my office moved over to Burleson and Montopolis in 2010, and there's been a group of homeless camping under the Montopolis/Ben White underpass since I've been here.  

Umm.... where are the purple bags? Give those fine gentlemen some purple trash bags and I’m sure they’ll get that cleaned right up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Deej said:

What's the problem with this one? Either the Mayor's not being truthful about direction to APD, APD's not being truthful about what they can/can't enforce, or people are making up stories about what they've been "told" by APD. Seems like this encourages folks to help find the truth.

11 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

San Marcos PD got caught dropping homeless guy (shirt and shoeless) on the side of the road near onion creek. Lmao. 

To be fair, it sounds like San Marcos doesn't have access to shirts or shoes to help these poor souls. And, they were just doing the humanitarian thing by dropping him off on the side of a highway in the sweltering heat. 

“Our officers made contact with a transient who was attempting to get to Austin, as they have services available that our city does not. The person did not have shoes or a shirt and seemed very determined to get to his destination. Due to the high temperatures, we did what we could to provide some humanitarian assistance and took him as far north as reasonably possible. This is not something we do often, but the safety of this individual was a priority due to the conditions that day.” 

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/san-marcos-police-drop-off-shirtless-shoeless-man-in-south-austin

Our elites have had quite the 90 days

Adler:

In less than 3 months he has accomplished: 

making homeless situation drastically worse with a camping ordinance and stand down order for police

purchase a 10 million dollar property at a 200% mark up in the name of the homeless

Increase the homeless services budget 37% from $46 million to $63 million. (Justifying yet again raising property taxes 8% because fuck affordable housing)

All with zero public insight, transparency or god forbid a vote. 

In 90 days. We are stupid puppets who will vote the same way against our own interests. Insanity 

1 hour ago, Deej said:

To be fair, it sounds like San Marcos doesn't have access to shirts or shoes to help these poor souls. And, they were just doing the humanitarian thing by dropping him off on the side of a highway in the sweltering heat. 

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/san-marcos-police-drop-off-shirtless-shoeless-man-in-south-austin

"Well I came upon a child of God, he was walking along the road.

And I asked him tell me where are you goin', this he told me.

Said I'm goin' up  Adler's bazaar gonna join in a city street camp

Gonna get up where my food and water, and my home's free.

We are starvin', we're emboldened,

we are shittin' where we wanna

And we've got to get ourselves

Back up to Austin"  

• Like 5

Adler could sell his condo at the W and fund a fund a hundred homeless trailers out at decker lake:

Owner: ADLER STEPHEN I & DIANE T LAND    
% Ownership: 100.0000000000%    
Total Value: $3,898,463    
Entity Description Tax Rate Appraised Value Taxable Value Estimated Tax    
01 AUSTIN ISD 1.192000 $3,898,463 $3,873,463 $46,171.68    
02 CITY OF AUSTIN 0.440300 $3,898,463 $3,508,617 $15,448.45    
03 TRAVIS COUNTY 0.354200 $3,898,463 $3,118,770 $11,046.68    
0A TRAVIS CENTRAL APP DIST 0.000000 $3,898,463 $3,898,463 $0.00    
2C DOWNTOWN PUB IMP DIST 0.000000 $3,898,463 $3,898,463 $0.00    
2J TRAVIS COUNTY HEALTHCARE DISTRICT 0.105221 $3,898,463 $3,118,770 $3,281.60    
68 AUSTIN COMM COLL DIST 0.104800 $3,898,463 $3,859,478 $4,044.73    
  Total Tax Rate: 2.196521          
        Taxes w/Current Exemptions: $79,993.14    
        Taxes w/o Exemptions: $85,630.56