Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

has a tex-mex rice recipe been posted around here?  i thought someone was going to but don't remember seeing it

Here’s the basic recipe I learned in high school working at Zantigo in Memphis around 76. You can adjust seasonings as you like, and add chopped peppers, peas, carrots if you like it in you rice.

1.5 cup long grain rice
2 tbsp Oil (bacon grease or lard even better)
1 cup onion chopped fine
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp ground chile (I usually use ancho)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 8oz can tomato sauce
16 oz water or chicken broth
Salt
Pepper

You need a good size pot with lid.

This dish is dependent on timing and technique. Have your meeze ready at the start, it goes quick.

Heat your oil on medium high heat. Add rice and stir to cover every grain. Continue to stir 3 or 4 minutes and rice will start to turn clear. Keep an eye on it; if it’s too hot the rice will turn to Rice Krispie looking things and you’ll have to start over.
Add the onions and continue to stir while cooking. (If you want bell peppers or fresh chilies add here too)
Continue to cook, keeping eye on the rice and stirring until onions are clear.
Add the garlic, chile, cumin. Stir.
Add the tomato sauce and water/broth. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir and bring to a boil.
(If you’re a corn, pea and carrot person put up to a cup of thawed frozen corn, peas and carrots in the pot now)
Put on a cover and reduce heat to low. Don’t take the lid off. In 20 minutes it should be done. Fluff the rice and serve.

If you want a complete meal:
Taco rice. Make a pound of taco meat and stir in the rice when done.
Easy Arroz con pollo: after cooking the rice add shredded rotisserie chicken and a can of diced tomatoes (rotel if you like)
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Are you saying that you were using the player-setter / indirect until you hit that temp and then pulled the goods to heat over direct? If so, that sounds right to me.

Anyway, I was craving some PNW summer flavors so did some coho filets over a summer salad with an Asian vinaigrette.

- Fresh chopped garlic
- Lots of Tamari
- Boon Sauce (google it)
- Dijon

73bba17f3f4589308c3ba87904d1f900.jpg

That's exactly what I did.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ScooterHTX said:

Grilled some hanger steaks topped with Cafe Paris butter recipe.

Was going to do duck fat potatoes but didn’t plan enough ahead. Hash browns work in a pinch.

https://www.recipetineats.com/cafe-de-paris-butter-sauce-for-steak/

a27e60976c472a36e7829fed53be5270.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What amounts of ingredients do you use for Cafe de Paris butter?

Anyone have any decent halibut recipes or ideas? Still have a shit ton from Alaska last year and need to make room because headed back in August and plan to bring some other stuff back. Fish and chips and fish tacos were done a couple months ago with some. 

14 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Anyone have any decent halibut recipes or ideas? Still have a shit ton from Alaska last year and need to make room because headed back in August and plan to bring some other stuff back. Fish and chips and fish tacos were done a couple months ago with some. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/prosciutto-wrapped-cod-chorizo-cannellini-beans-recipe

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s the chicken of the sea. You can basically use it for anything. Try grilling it and top with some of that cafe de Paris butter. I’d just make fish n chips until it’s gone
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

It’s the chicken of the sea. You can basically use it for anything. Try grilling it and top with some of that cafe de Paris butter. I’d just make fish n chips until it’s gone

Agreed. If don’t want to grill. 

Med - hot pan. Just need butter and soy sauce. 

Drop butter in hot pan and add fish few seconds later. Cook 2 mins or until edges get white, add another pad of butter and flip. Cook another min, then add few splashes of soy and it’s done after another min. 

Leftover butter/soy in pan is a great sauce starter. Can go as is or add spices of your choice. Serve with anything. 

4 min fish. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Agreed. If don’t want to grill. 

Med - hot pan. Just need butter and soy sauce. 

Drop butter in hot pan and add fish few seconds later. Cook 2 mins or until edges get white, add another pad of butter and flip. Cook another min, then add few splashes of soy and it’s done after another min. 

Leftover butter/soy in pan is a great sauce starter. Can go as is or add spices of your choice. Serve with anything. 

4 min fish. 

Username partially checks out.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Do a Halibut bowel. Either blackened or a teriyaki glaze. You can so many directions with bowels. Do Asian with edamame and rice like I did above, or Mexican with corn and beans. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Do a Halibut bowel. Either blackened or a teriyaki glaze. You can so many directions with bowels. Do Asian with edamame and rice like I did above, or Mexican with corn and beans. 

I’m not a fan of bowels of any animal. It’s why I clean my shrimp. Certainly ain’t eating halibut poop either.
  • Haha 1

I love a compound butter on a steak. So easy to make and keep in the freezer. Did you include the anchovy?

I make one similar to this without the anchovy or curry, and with the tarragon it comes across as a bearnaise without the hassle of making a sauce.

Followed the recipe exactly (plus a little more garlic) the first time. Used anchovy paste for Ease. Worth it for flavor.

My basis Le Relais de l'Entrecôte recipe for their sauce. Steak frites. Never been to paris location, but used to visit London often for work and an amazing sauce.

I’ve made the entrecôte sauce before, it is
Intense / messy / and Has a lot going on. This is simple, and I didnt notice much of a difference.

Made a double batch and froze most of it.

Did these at the ranch in Shiner. In houston like to do hanger steaks in duck fat, on the cast iron, on the grill outside. Not a huge difference, but I will spend a few more dollars for that crust.

• Hook 'Em 1

Did some shrimp tacos as well3d5938f07cda8d779627a506502b0b7d.jpg

There are few things better than a Texas wild gulf shrimp. They exist no where else. You have done the shrimp proud. And Texas. I could eat three of those shrimp piles you got there.

I see high end restaurants serving “Tiger” shrimp. Cheap fucking Asian bugs grown in shit. Might as well devein it by throwing the whole fucker away.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

There are few things better than a Texas wild gulf shrimp. They exist no where else. You have done the shrimp proud. And Texas. I could eat three of those shrimp piles you got there.

I see high end restaurants serving “Tiger” shrimp. Cheap fucking Asian bugs grown in shit. Might as well devein it by throwing the whole fucker away.

Thank you sir
marinated in lime juice and Uncle Chris's seafood seasoning