impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We still don’t have an actual full transcript of the Ukraine phone call

I know.  But even pointing that out detracts from the fact that the call summary is damning.   Here's what Dems need to say, over and over again "The transcript is damning and clearly shows a quid pro quo, and that's just the part Trump is letting us see.  Twenty minutes are missing!  We read this thing and out of a 30 minute call, it was ten minutes tops.   Where are the missing twenty minutes?!?" 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

That was insane.  He looked like he was going to physically pop.   His strategy is clear:   pretend this is all about one perfect call, and then pretend everything negative that people are saying about the call is a lie, without actually defending the reality of what was said on the call.   Schiff - fake account. Whistleblower - lying and didn't even hear it himself.   The fake news - said there was a quid pro quo demanded 8 times and there wasn't. 

What he wants is the Dems to let up on the transcript and say, "Well, what Schiff did was a mistake, but he said it was a parody, and wasn't claiming to be reading the exact transcript.  And the Whistleblower may have gotten some of the information second hand, but what he's said has been confirmed.   And no quid pro quo is necessary, and blah blah blah."

And suddenly, the story becomes about whether the media and the Whistleblower and Adam Schiff are lying, rather than about Trump extorting Ukraine with taxpayer funds for his personal benefit and the covering it up.  One of the analysts on CNN even engaged with the quid pro quo argument by saying "perhaps you can argue that there was a missing verb for a quid pro quo, but anyone who reads it and understands the context knows..."  And Trump has already gotten what he wanted. 

"if the call was perfect, why hasn't the actual full transcript been released yet?  and why did it get placed in a code-word server typically reserved for matters of national security?  and have other calls with other leaders been inappropriately placed in that server?  and when, if ever, will we get access to those transcripts?"

"if the whistleblower's accounts of the incident and situation were so untrue, then why did your own appointed solicitor (?) deem it urgent and accurate when he followed procedure and passed it on?  why didn't the people who are put in place to confirm the veracity of these types of reports have the same issue you're having?"

any reporter who isn't following one of those threads is missing it.  stop with the schiff nonsense.  stop with the quid pro quo.  stop with the "did the ukraine president actually feel pressure" silliness.  when addressing trump, these are the two threads to pull on.  this isn't about rudy or barr or pompeo.  those matters will take care of themselves with subpoenas and obstruction of congress proceedings.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I know.  But even pointing that out detracts from the fact that the call summary is damning.   Here's what Dems need to say, over and over again "The transcript is damning and clearly shows a quid pro quo, and that's just the part Trump is letting us see.  Twenty minutes are missing!  We read this thing and out of a 30 minute call, it was ten minutes tops.   Where are the missing twenty minutes?!?" 

eh, i'd say it was closer to 18 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/30/2019 at 2:00 PM, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

they won't move fast on this.  they will publicly flog Trump as long as possible because they know that as soon as they say 'guilty' it is out of their hands and the senate gets to work at making it disappear.

You know, Trump isn't acting like somebody who is 100% sure the Senate has his back.

6 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

"if the call was perfect, why hasn't the actual full transcript been released yet?  and why did it get placed in a code-word server typically reserved for matters of national security?  and have other calls with other leaders been inappropriately placed in that server?  and when, if ever, will we get access to those transcripts?"

"if the whistleblower's accounts of the incident and situation were so untrue, then why did your own appointed solicitor (?) deem it urgent and accurate when he followed procedure and passed it on?  why didn't the people who are put in place to confirm the veracity of these types of reports have the same issue you're having?"

any reporter who isn't following one of those threads is missing it.  stop with the schiff nonsense.  stop with the quid pro quo.  stop with the "did the ukraine president actually feel pressure" silliness.  when addressing trump, these are the two threads to pull on.  this isn't about rudy or barr or pompeo.  those matters will take care of themselves with subpoenas and obstruction of congress proceedings.

EXACTLY. It is a "memo," not a transcript and is thus labeled as such. The WH, at least, got that right. People on the more right-leaning forums call it a transcript and are all over Schiff but even if they couldn't understand his commentary, they still miss the essential point of the matter. I agree, that such as it is, it is still enough that the Democrats need to apply the focus and pressure upon that.

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Pompeo is only 55 and a West Point and Harvard grad.  Interesting that this is the hill he's going to let his political career die on, and that he's willing to go down for Trump.

spacer.png

Where have I seen that look before? Oh! It was Marcia Brady whenever she was talking about Davy Jones: "He's soooo dreamy."

@Hugo Stiglitz----That's right! I'm sorry, I forgot you posted that; too much to keep up with at the moment. Stedman did get the scoop on that one.

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Pompeo is only 55 and a West Point and Harvard grad.  Interesting that this is the hill he's going to let his political career die on, and that he's willing to go down for Trump.

Mike must have skipped class at West Point the day they taught about duty, honor, and country. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Never mind. 

But Pence did apparently have contacts with Zelensky separately, so his hands aren’t likely clean

Pence is involved. Trump told us Pence made at least 2 phone calls and had a meeting with Zelensky along with Rick Perry.

Pence also advised against releasing the memo they are trying to pass off as a transcript. 

• Like 1

Madow’s connect the dots yesterday was pretty incredible. Has that been discussed? Help for 2020 yes, but undermine the west’s opposition of Russian occupation of Ukraine and delegitimize the findings of Russian interference both of which are the basis for current sanctions in an effort to get those sanctions lifted.

45 minutes ago, suddenly shaggy said:

It takes a lot in this scandal to take me aback. This one did it. 

Rudy was conspiring with Paul Manafort about Ukraine via one of Manafort's lawyers. 

Washington Post, but I'm out of articles. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/464151-giuliani-consulted-with-manafort-on-ukraine-info-report

3 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

It would be nice if every single representative would repeat this over and over again. The attack dogs will go after them as Constitution violators, but if the reps lay out exactly the part of the Constitution to which they refer over and over and over again (when those attacks come) it may stick.

9 hours ago, suddenly shaggy said:

It takes a lot in this scandal to take me aback. This one did it. 

Rudy was conspiring with Paul Manafort about Ukraine via one of Manafort's lawyers. 

Washington Post, but I'm out of articles. 

Just open it in incognito.

Edited by Mdhorn

31 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I think I'm going to make a call to my representative. I'm pretty sure it's a Republican. The more of us that call our representatives the better. They need to know that the people they represent want his ass impeached NOW. Call your reps. Pressure the fuck out of them.

Well, it's a lovely thought, but my rep and both of my senators are full on dotard dick suckers.  They don't give a FUCK what I think.

My rep is the retiring Bill Flores. I already called his office in DC earlier this year to express displeasure at his lack of spine for standing up the President's awful remarks and policy. Being that Flores is an oil and gas industry bloke, I don't see him as very responsive to a salt the earth kind of move, but I suppose I could give it a try. If he thinks he can gain something from going on the record, then he will do it but he is a coward from all that I've seen.

1 hour ago, EMAWesome said:

I love how this guy whose profession is comedy (cuz we know how the right hates entertainers with political opinions) wants to rail against the media for accuracy in reporting and can't make it out of the first minute of his 14 something minute video without misrepresenting what the tweet says- right about @ 00:43 he claims the precondition for Trump's phone call was Ukraine investigating Biden, while the tweet says the precondition was Trump's insistence that the leaders discuss a possible investigation into Biden- all in a video made to point out the need for accuracy in reporting.

Well, at least I didn't have to watch all of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well, it's a lovely thought, but my rep and both of my senators are full on dotard dick suckers.  They don't give a FUCK what I think.

So do it anyway. Be the voice of dissension. It's your right to be heard by them, regardless of where the fall on the political spectrum.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

So do it anyway. Be the voice of dissension. It's your right to be heard by them, regardless of where the fall on the political spectrum.

Oh I've done it.  I've called both Cruz and Cornyn within the past two months and my rep gets regular emails.  I get regular "thanks for contacting me" boilerplate responses.  Not very inspiring.

• Like 1

I was trying to wade through this link, but the legal stuff is not in my skill set. It seems related to the New York case, but I'm not particularly adept at how all this is going to play out so I will just post the link:

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/DOJ-Vance-10.2.19.pdf

It was filed yesterday and also involves Mazars, his CPA, I believe.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Oh I've done it.  I've called both Cruz and Cornyn within the past two months and my rep gets regular emails.  I get regular "thanks for contacting me" boilerplate responses.  Not very inspiring.

They track the volume of calls and purpose.  Even if you don't get a live person or a meaningful response, the simple effort IS getting their attention.

• Like 1