impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

He ran in 2018 against Trumpublican douchebag (Clay Higgins) that won without a runoff in a jungle primary. 

If he could take Higgins to a runoff in 2020 he might have a shot but that seat has been GOP since 2011. 

He needs fewer democrats to run in the primary because they split the vote. 

Just to show you how bad Higgins is:

In early July 2017, Higgins posted a five-minute video on YouTube from Auschwitz concentration camp, including a section from within one of the gas chambers. He said, "This is why homeland security must be squared away, why our military must be invincible".[44] This video was widely condemned as inappropriate, including by the Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum, whose spokesman wrote in a Twitter post that "the building should not be used as a stage".[45][46] Higgins later removed his video from YouTube and issued an apology.[47][44]

3 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

180813stephenmillermaggettyimages-633576

someone (i really wish i could remember who) captioned this one with "that spider over there is almost big enough to eat."

makes me lol to this day, every time i see this picture

He always reminded me of the funeral director from Moonstruck (won’t embed)   The ‘artistic genius’ guy

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/7ce403a8-52db-43d1-b93f-2c23470e3d62#HyrVXBM2DS.sms

9 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

my gif was in response to "she fears the senate may choose to force him to resign."

1. he's not going to resign.

2. she's not afraid of him resigning.  she would laugh her ass off.  she knows it's unrealistic, but she would welcome it.  it would leave the gop in complete disarray.

3. there was a time that an impeachment that was hard to explain to the people might turn the independents.  that time has long passed.

4. he's not going to resign.  never ever ever ever.

5. remaining president is all he has.  it's what's keeping him from a bunch of other investigations and prosecutions.  he's breaking laws left and right to win in 2020. 

6. never ever ever ever.

7. ever.

He's said repeatedly he hates losers, even in regards to POWs.  After all that, he can't resign. Plus, he's got his crusade to purge the non-believers or Liberals from America and he sure isn't resigning to do time in Rikers.

8 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

You guys are completely overrating the autonomy of the GOP base.  Especially with the evangelicals, they're the most pliable and morally flexible voting block in all of American politics.  

They have video and audio this day and age of all these jackasses giving fealty to Trump like he was a king.  Also, I'd play the pieces where all these holy shit bags get busted with homosexuality, prostitutes and whatever else they railed against.  This can be overcome by those that actually want to spend some time and effort to do so.  But they'll have to commit, unlike Biden who wanted to know that he'd be a lock to be the Democrat nominee before he'd run.    

Gen Z has no idea what’s going on right now 

My son is GenZ and very few are voting age. He’s only now starting to pay attention and it all looks the same. He started to understand when I explained what obstruction was and how circumstantial evidence was from the Russian investigation and now this why the shakedown of a foreign leader for personal gain is a crime and impeachable. He thinks trump is a fool but thinks we just vote him out. He’s not trump favorable it’s about not being able to distinguish between trump lies about crowd size and trump lies about Russian ties and conversations with foreign leaders doing his dirty work.

17 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Okay lawyer people and constitutional scholars-

We all know it takes a 2/3 vote in the senate to remove but does the below red circled portion mean a simple majority vote can be used to block Trump from running for re-election?

cfaac0179d4c991abb4987d3f146a7e7.jpg

Yes

I am not an expert but after reading a Dailykos story I verified it at several sources.

Edited by RayDog

22 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Okay lawyer people and constitutional scholars-

We all know it takes a 2/3 vote in the senate to remove but does the below red circled portion mean a simple majority vote can be used to block Trump from running for re-election?

cfaac0179d4c991abb4987d3f146a7e7.jpg

Now that would be interesting. 

Though probably much more of a shitshow than actual removal.

11 minutes ago, zork said:

Is it true Pelosi changed the rules on the impeachment process in late 2018?  I wasn't aware of it then.  Is that a big deal to all y'all, out on the ledge, purists?

The impeachment process isn’t really set in stone beyond what is outlined in the constitution.  The process is very flexible on the House side. 

Section 103. Separate Orders. Deposition Authority. Subsection (a) provides the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence and each standing committee of the 116th Congress (except for the Committee on Rules) the authority to order the taking of a deposition by a member or counsel of such committee. Members, Delegates, and the Resident Commissioner may participate in all such depositions, but their presence is not required. Depositions taken under this authority are subject to regulations issued by the chair of the Committee on Rules and printed in the Congressional Record.

On page 7 of this from:

H. RES. 6

ADOPTING THE RULES FOR THE 116th CONGRESS

SECTION-BY-SECTION ANALYSIS

https://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/20181231/116-HRes6-SxS.pdf

The big change is being able to depose without notifying anyone from the minority party.

The number of Democrats on  this site with the means to travel to austin this weekend.  And absolutely radio silence.  Didn’t realize getting involved was so goddamn hard.  

Edited by Lobo