impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

Lol. May have. I may have taken a shit this morning too. Of course he lied to Mueller. Mueller knew he did also. Laid it all out for Congress, but didn't want to be the investigator and jury. Congress didn't do shit.

It's a bad headline, but Dems are saying that there is something in the Mueller Report that specifically shows Trump knew about Wikileaks, but then lied to Mueller and claimed he didn't. Dems are citing a specific blacked out section right after it quotes Manafort as saying Trump asked to be kept updated on Wikileaks. There is a redacted Grand Jury section immediately afterwards. 

Lawyers for the House of Representatives revealed on Monday that they have reason to believe that the grand-jury redactions in special counsel Robert Mueller’s report show that President Donald Trump lied about his knowledge of his campaign’s contacts with WikiLeaks....

To back up their claim, the House’s legal team — led by House General Counsel Douglas Letter — cited a passage in Mueller’s report about former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort’s testimony that he “recalled” Trump asking to be kept “updated” about WikiLeaks’ disclosures of Democratic National Committee emails. There is a grand-jury redaction in that passage, the lawyers note.

Evidence that Trump campaign (Trump) got updates about pending Wikileaks drops (which were timed for optimization) will be highlighted in the Roger Stone trial starting Nov. 5th.  It already appears in the text of the Stone indictments.  It's head-spinning how much is coming together right now, and will continue to fill out.

15 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Evidence that Trump campaign (Trump) got updates about pending Wikileaks drops (which were timed for optimization) will be highlighted in the Roger Stone trial starting Nov. 5th.  It already appears in the text of the Stone indictments.  It's head-spinning how much is coming together right now, and will continue to fill out.

The thing is, all of this was barely hidden. And the truth barely matters. Trump just needs to maintain the lie with his 40% and get Fox to push that number upwards. 

Alternative facts aren't going away. 

5 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

The thing is, all of this was barely hidden. And the truth barely matters. Trump just needs to maintain the lie with his 40% and get Fox to push that number upwards. 

Alternative facts aren't going away. 

It's a different battlefield now.  The majority of the Mueller years was marked by GOP control of the WH, House, and Senate.  Leakproof silence from Team Mueller endured Trump and his accomplices taking pot shots all day every without any rebuttal. 

Suddenly GOP loses the House and shit started going really sideways for Trump in ways they couldn't control.  Trump started losing important impeachment related battles in court last Spring and those appeals are about to be exhausted.  Enter the whistleblower report and a rapid pivot by Pelosi to firehose Trump with a formal impeachment inquiry right as those appeals close and the Roger Stone trial fires up.

yeah, alternative facts are still spinning off the flywheel as before, but now in a live day to day fight up against facts and evidence, the result is accelerating in reverse.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Are we going with Civil Cold War or Cold Civil War?  

Cold Civil War definitely

So I'm sure I haven't kept up with this as much as many of you, but this attempt to undermine and discredit the Mueller investigation is an attempt to prep the battleground of the future, right? A Republican Senate and Supreme Court, combined with DOJ findings that cast doubt and credibility issues on accusations against Trump, gives cover for anyone to defend him is the thinking, right? Or at least was the thought before the WB.

7 hours ago, triplehorn said:

It's a different battlefield now.  The majority of the Mueller years was marked by GOP control of the WH, House, and Senate.  Leakproof silence from Team Mueller endured Trump and his accomplices taking pot shots all day every without any rebuttal. 

Suddenly GOP loses the House and shit started going really sideways for Trump in ways they couldn't control.  Trump started losing important impeachment related battles in court last Spring and those appeals are about to be exhausted.  Enter the whistleblower report and a rapid pivot by Pelosi to firehose Trump with a formal impeachment inquiry right as those appeals close and the Roger Stone trial fires up.

yeah, alternative facts are still spinning off the flywheel as before, but now in a live day to day fight up against facts and evidence, the result is accelerating in reverse.

don't forget that his financials and tax returns are supposed to drop soon too

12 minutes ago, texastough said:

don't forget that his financials and tax returns are supposed to drop soon too

As a point of contention..

Shouldn't tax returns while in office be public record? As such monies earned outside of that office would be subject to emolument issues?

5 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

As a point of contention..

Shouldn't tax returns while in office be public record? As such monies earned outside of that office would be subject to emolument issues?

YES - shows how fragile our system is when we can’t rely on “norms”. These things must be written into law

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

YES - shows how fragile our system is when we can’t rely on “norms”. These things must be written into law

It doesn't need to stop at the office of the president. It should codify any person in the line of succession to the office of the president.

Unfortunately, that would probably require a super majority.

Edited by HOOK'EMHOOAH

8 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

It's Cold Civil War you cretin! I'll fight you Civil Cold War apologists to the death!

I thought you were fighting on behalf of the People's Front of Trumpea?  Or are you with the Trumpean People's Front?  

13 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Something is up. I am assuming the IG is meeting with them first thing in the morning with the amount of urgency he is siting. And guessing they know what it’s about already too.

I’d speculate it’s the Stedman reporting 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Most bizzare thing in the article:

Mifsud met Papadopoulos when he and his Italian wife, Simona Mangiante, a lawyer and part-time lingerie model who had hoped to launch her acting career with a role playing French actress Brigitte Bardot in a British film, both worked for a company Mifsud ran. Mangiante told The Daily Beast that she met Mifsud while doing some legal consulting for the European Parliament. His ties to Russia seemed potentially useful to her husband, who was then an integral part of the Trump campaign’s foreign-policy advisory panel at the time. 

44 minutes ago, horncyclist said:
Mifsud met Papadopoulos when he and his Italian wife, Simona Mangiante, a lawyer and part-time lingerie model who had hoped to launch her acting career with a role playing French actress Brigitte Bardot in a British film, both worked for a company Mifsud ran.

Edited by 406W30th
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’d speculate it’s the Stedman reporting 

Attention all fuckers: if some of you fuckers start feeling compelled to abide by the law, you'll be in peril of breaking our version of the law. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Attention all fuckers: if some of you fuckers start feeling compelled to abide by the law, you'll be in peril of breaking our version of the law. 

I mean, I'm not in HR, but the employees have some protection from their employer asking them to break the law, right?  At least, they'd have a lawsuit for wrongful termination if the State Department tries to fire them for not complying with Congress? 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I mean, I'm not in HR, but the employees have some protection from their employer asking them to break the law, right?  At least, they'd have a lawsuit for wrongful termination if the State Department tries to fire them for not complying with Congress? 

The typical government employee is not “at will” and terminating or retaliating against employees who cooperate with Congress would create significant civil liability. Political appointees are different, but still should be protected from these kinds of adverse employment actions. Which is why apparently Pompeo asked the IG if he could fire people for talking 

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

ok so that 24% is the floor.  now, lets add in: the remaining Republicans who are not in that 24%, some of whom may even say they "disapprove" but will vote for Trump anyway (the rest of them) plus - foreign interference with the assistance of the Trump administration, the Republican Party, and NRA plus - voter suppression and election rigging by Trump and the Republicans (does anyone actually believe there will be a legitimate election process) - where does all that lead us?  sounds to me like it all adds up to an easy win for Trump.  of course, i'd love to be wrong.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Those people are lame-brained followers.  Cults aren’t made from independent thinkers with strong convictions. When the herd turns against Trump, most of that 24% will follow and proclaim after the fact that they opposed him all along.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

So much for the “nothing is going to happen” crowd

I wonder if the plan isn't:

1) Subpoena Barr

2) Have Barr refuse to answer questions for some bullshit reason

3) Hold him in inherent contempt and fine him $10,000/day for noncompliance

4) Have Trump say "I'll pay the fine" on Twitter (much the same as he said he'd pay the attorneys' fees for the thugs who assaulted hecklers at his rally).

5) Impeach Trump for obstructing a Congressional investigation based on the direct evidence.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I wonder if the plan isn't:

1) Subpoena Barr

2) Have Barr refuse to answer questions for some bullshit reason

3) Hold him in inherent contempt and fine him $10,000/day for noncompliance

4) Have Trump say "I'll pay the fine" on Twitter (much the same as he said he'd pay the attorneys' fees for the thugs who assaulted hecklers at his rally).

5) Impeach Trump for obstructing a Congressional investigation based on the direct evidence.

Do you even 4d chess?

Mexico will clearly pay the fine.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

No sense of urgency or gravity of the situation.  She wants to talk about the Dems agenda.  She’s not a good public speaker and can’t read the fucking room. 

Schiff is doing a much better job as her wingman. 

Schiff >> Schumer 

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

No sense of urgency or gravity of the situation.  She wants to talk about the Dems agenda.  She’s not a good public speaker and can’t read the fucking room. 

Schiff is doing a much better job as her wingman. 

Well, without watching, but based on your description alone--I think she might be playing it right.

People want to see that the Congress can handle impeachment while still handling the business of government.  It's one of the things that the polling reflects as a primary reason why independents may still oppose impeachment.  Pelosi is speaking directly to that concern.

She she doesn't need to be the person screaming "impeach now!" if she's got Schiff up there.  He's the chairman in charge of the inquiry right now.  That's his job.