The McStay family’s disappearance

Gil Bang

On the old board we had a long thread about this San Diego area family’s disappearance. Their car was found in a border parking lot, and video surveillance was thought to show them walking into Mexico.

Some 3 years later, a motorcyclist in the Mojave desert saw a skull, which led to the discovery of the remains of the father, mom, and two kids.

The jury just convicted the father’s business associate of the murders. Motherfucker has a business dispute with the dad, so he murdered the entire family with a sledgehammer.

Penalty phase starts Tuesday.

49 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

The jury just convicted the father’s business associate of the murders. Motherfucker has a business dispute with the dad, so he murdered the entire family with a sledgehammer.

That must have been serious business.

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

That must have been serious business.

On Friday, a jury reached their verdict in the murder case against Merritt, who authorities say killed the family with a sledgehammer after his business associate, 40-year-old Joseph McStay, tried to cut him out of a business making and selling custom water fountains.

Custom water fountains????

Motherfucker has a business dispute with the dad, so he murdered the entire family with a sledgehammer. 

Rancho Cucamonga

a business making and selling custom water fountains.

This sounds like a future Coen Brothers movie. 

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Max is death.

Governor Newsome ain’t tryin to hear that. I guess whatever his sentence he’ll die of old age in prison unless some young upstart, go-getter decides to shank him in the yard. (Fingers crossed)

Edited by Lhorn

13 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think after he killed the 3rd family member with a sledge hammer the 4th one might have gotten suspicious and maybe run away or something. Although their last name is McStay not McGo. 

I'm usually out after one head gets smashed with a sledgehammer, but of course my last name is McAnticipation.

It's kind of interesting that four people got kill by sledgehammer-to-head, yet the prosecutors were unable to determine where it happened.  

Sounds like the conviction was obtained entirely by circumstantial evidence.  (Pretty damning circumstantial evidence, so I'm not suggesting he's innocent.)

Edited by Beau Vine

3 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Well it looks like a custom water fountain business territory just opened up.

I googled "custom water fountain" and this was the second picture:

Long_Beach_Fountain-GFRCFT-1100-600x452_

It's called a "Long Beach Fountain" and it's $3750.  If you've ever been to old Fouts Field in Denton, it looks just like the uninals there.

You can also get this beauty for only $776.15:

1PX54_AS02?$mdmain$

Water coolers/drinking fountains aren't cheap. I've priced them before and a simple standalone model will run a grand. Nice to see that the wall mounts are cheaper. I'll let the maintenance guys at work know, the one closet to me hasn't worked right in 8 years. Fountain I mean. Ah hell, Larry ain't worth a shit either and he knows it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

boy just reading the one article this shit is pretty weird

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2508766/Mystery-McStay-money-Family-dead-barely-afford-rent-despite-100k-bank.html

also the company seemingly is located in Austin now???

https://earthinspiredproducts.com/community/contact

unless there is more than one custom fountain maker with that name

and the weird dude that lives in their old house and gets to chill in the living room where the kids were the kids were born in a kiddie pool....WTF

I wonder if they got the guy that really did it I mean shit it took them 3 years to find the bodies then SIX years to go to trial

43 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

boy just reading the one article this shit is pretty weird

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2508766/Mystery-McStay-money-Family-dead-barely-afford-rent-despite-100k-bank.html

also the company seemingly is located in Austin now???

https://earthinspiredproducts.com/community/contact

unless there is more than one custom fountain maker with that name

and the weird dude that lives in their old house and gets to chill in the living room where the kids were the kids were born in a kiddie pool....WTF

I wonder if they got the guy that really did it I mean shit it took them 3 years to find the bodies then SIX years to go to trial

I understand where you are coming from, but it seems like Merritt has been the prime suspect all along.   He wrote himself checks after the disappearance, couldn't explain his travels (to the Mojave desert), etc.   Having no bodies was problematic, but they were buried in the middle of a huge desert 150 miles from where they lived.    As to the delay getting to trial, that was all Merritt.  He's the one that delayed everything time and again, usually claiming health issues.  

Oh shit. I just read that daily mail article.  I call 100% bullshit.  2 bedrooms in San Clemente for $850/mo?    No fucking way.  A 2 bed in SC is closer to 3 grand a month.  

That glaring bunch of bullshit calls the entire article  into question. 

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

I understand where you are coming from, but it seems like Merritt has been the prime suspect all along.   He wrote himself checks after the disappearance, couldn't explain his travels (to the Mojave desert), etc.   Having no bodies was problematic, but they were buried in the middle of a huge desert 150 miles from where they lived.    As to the delay getting to trial, that was all Merritt.  He's the one that delayed everything time and again, usually claiming health issues.  

reading some more after posting that yea it seems like he is a good "candidate"

he seems to be serious criminal scum from the way back

he has some anger issues and money issues and business issues with his now dead partner

and yea he was the one delaying the trial forever I suppose there was a lot more in the trial as well hopefully something more than "his DNA was in the McShay car" which seems highly probably since they were business partners and associated together

I guess it goes back to when you have crazy shit around you then you can expect crazy shit to happen to you

as to my post above about the rent:  

McStay's real estate license shows his address as 328 Avenida Cabrillo.  The  photos look like it's the same place as pictured in the article. It's a duplex.  It sold in 2016 for $880,000.

But sure, rent was 210 a week.