2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

The Clipper's bench has been shitty tonight, once they get their shit together this series will turn ugly. When Jackson and Harrell turn it up a notch Dallas will never keep pace with that scoring off the bench between Williams, Harrell and Jackson.

Just now, Chad said:

The Clipper's bench has been shitty tonight, once they get their shit together this series will turn ugly. When Jackson and Harrell turn it up a notch Dallas will never keep pace with that scoring off the bench between Williams, Harrell and Jackson.

I mean the Mavs 2nd best player missed basically the entire 2nd half.

• Hook 'Em 2

Count me in the camp that thinks the KP ejection was dumb. I mean I guess I get that technically, by the book, maybe he did earn two techs. But with as much leeway as refs are given to make judgement calls and "game flow" decisions, that can't happen. You just can't make that call and change the game like that.

• Like 1

This Rockets-Thunder series fascinates me. So many subplots. Is Russ healthy? Russ vs OKC, is Tillman trying to get rid of Mike D and Morey? CP3 vs Harden. All of this is great. 

The Thunder have already massively overachieved this year. If Russ misses more than a game, I think OKC may get them in 7. If so, the Rockets offseason will be must see tv.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ocugolf said:

The Thunder have already massively overachieved this year.

Not really. Certainly not "massively" at least. OKC is good and well coached. They play good defense and have a good set of 1-3 scoring options - 1-4 if you include Adams. They're like Toronto West.

The series should hinge on Harden. If he plays well and limits turnovers I'll take Houston in 5 or 6. If he and Westbrook get into some bad habits it could go 7 and either team could win. 

3 hours ago, ocugolf said:

This Rockets-Thunder series fascinates me. So many subplots. Is Russ healthy? Russ vs OKC, is Tillman trying to get rid of Mike D and Morey? CP3 vs Harden. All of this is great. 

The Thunder have already massively overachieved this year. If Russ misses more than a game, I think OKC may get them in 7. If so, the Rockets offseason will be must see tv.

wooooooooo, boy that would be something to see.     I actually like Russ so him going to the Rockets was rather unfortunate cause I dont think I have ever hate errbody in an org all the way up to the owner before like I do the Rockets

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Not really. Certainly not "massively" at least. OKC is good and well coached. They play good defense and have a good set of 1-3 scoring options - 1-4 if you include Adams. They're like Toronto West.

The series should hinge on Harden. If he plays well and limits turnovers I'll take Houston in 5 or 6. If he and Westbrook get into some bad habits it could go 7 and either team could win. 

They were given a 0.2% chance to make the playoffs and most had CP3 not ever playing in a Thunder uni or at the very worst him not finishing the season in one.   Finishing as the 5 seed is massively overachieving given those points IMO.

1 minute ago, d2o said:

They were given a 0.2% chance to make the playoffs

Lol what? You can't throw stuff out there like that without a source. 0.2% with their current roster? 

Maybe there were questions on how they would gel and if they were a playoff team or not - but they were never going to be a bottom feeder.

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Lol what? You can't throw stuff out there like that without a source. 0.2% with their current roster? 

Maybe there were questions on how they would gel and if they were a playoff team or not - but they were never going to be a bottom feeder.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27426015/nba-preseason-predictions-our-experts-picks-2019-20

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-predictions-2019-20-standings-playoff-projections-nba-finals-pick/1n5bznt80ykeu17bbe1qbr6gsr

https://www.ibtimes.com/nba-predictions-2019-2020-standings-western-eastern-conference-finals-matchup-mvp-2850672

Just a quick search but most had them finishing 12th-13th in the west.

Edited by d2o

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

538 had them at 50% playoff odds on October 22nd https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-nba-predictions/

Maybe calling them a lottery team was the flavor of the month in August of last year. I mean, I don't take into account what ESPN thinks before claiming a team over or underachieved. I'm guessing many writers were wondering if Paul would stay healthy for the season. If you showed them OKC's roster and games played for each player vs games on the schedule im guessing those predictions would have changed. Especially with the Warriors dropping out. 

I was going with the 12-13 in the west predictions in the preseason. That they had a lame duck coach who lost all of his top assistants. Trade away their franchise cornerstone in Russell. Trade away George. Trade away Jerami Grant. So three starters down and a coach nobody had faith in made the playoffs fairly easily. 

They got lucky Paul bought in. They got lucky the Gallo insisted on 3 years with Miami. Turns out Donovan can coach. They’ll probably burn out in the first round but the fact they made it this far is damn amazing. 

26 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

His defense is apparently that he “mistyped”, because the i is next to the u and the r is next to the t on the keyboard.

I thought that it was autocorrected to that which means he types it so much that its saved in his phone's dictionary.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

- As a Nuggets fan, I can attest to the danger inherent in typing that name with your thumb. ALWAYS proofread and consider using DEN rather than Nuggets.

-----------

Milwaukee off to a slow start against Orlando. MIL has closed the deficit from 18 down to 10 at half, but ORL is showing some fight.  

11 minutes ago, d2o said:

I thought that it was autocorrected to that which means he types it so much that its saved in his phone's dictionary.

Good point. I just tried it and I would need to press a button to ignore the auto-correct, but I wonder if my auto correct was a result of my correction of the mistake.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.d72f4f016e2337e8236a31ca99ff6b88.jpeg

Sportswriters have been sleeping on the Nuggets for the some time. Karma is a bitch for some of the lazier sportswriters out there. So be it.  

Edited by washparkhorn

2 hours ago, ocugolf said:

the fact they made it this far is damn amazing. 

Agree to disagree. They stayed healthy and played good basketball. They won a few more games than their SRS suggests. 

Chris Paul is still one of the best 20 players in the league.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Kareem Abdul Jabbar Airplane GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

forget it jake its chinatown GIF

I don't want to say that these games have a glorified pick-up game feel to them*, but playoff defense has to be really hard to dial up after 5 months off in an empty gym.

*I actually owe the NBA an apology: this bubble experiment has gone off way better than I ever expected.  The piped in noise and fan video boards are knowingly dorky enough to be kinda fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Exactly. Keyboards on phones don't automatically save certain words unless you just type it so much or manually save it. So yeah, this is a word he regularly types. And what a dumb fuck for not proofing before he broadcasts it. In the social media world, the nanosecond it sends, it is there forever. Someone will capture it.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I tried to tell ya'll Milwaukee isn't built for these playoffs. They'll get by Orlando, but they aren't going to win the chip.

Meh, we took game one from TOR last yr in TOR.   This means nothing in the grand scheme.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I tried to tell ya'll Milwaukee isn't built for these playoffs. They'll get by Orlando, but they aren't going to win the chip.

It’s one game right now. 12-1 was terrible odds. But after one game you are looking good. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

The NBA playoffs game 1 overreaction is well known. It's a different animal though, now without any home court advantage. To me, it's the most interesting thing about this bubble playoff. The logic used to be, you've got to get a split on the road and take home court back. Or you'd better finish off a team in 6 because you don't want to play game 7 on the road. That whole "The playoffs don't begin until the home team loses," thing not being a thing is going to be fascinating to watch.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I thought gentlemen’s sweep has to be after 2-0 or 3-0 up but Yeah- that was about as big an outlier as I can ever remember from game 1 to the rest of the series. 

nah, gentleman's sweep is giving them a courtesy game to start and then winning the next 4.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The NBA playoffs game 1 overreaction is well known. It's a different animal though, now without any home court advantage. To me, it's the most interesting thing about this bubble playoff. The logic used to be, you've got to get a split on the road and take home court back. Or you'd better finish off a team in 6 because you don't want to play game 7 on the road. That whole "The playoffs don't begin until the home team loses," thing not being a thing is going to be fascinating to watch.

Yeah it will. 

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Agree. Can't wait to see how it all shakes out. 

18 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s one game right now. 12-1 was terrible odds. But after one game you are looking good. 

Yeah, I mean I'm not trying to dunk the ball saying Orlando is going to win. I wouldn't even be surprised if the Bucks win in 5. Admittedly I have it on in the background while I work so I wasn't actively watching, but I saw a lot of the same defensive issues that I've seen in them for awhile now. They struggle to keep up on rotations with high energy active offensive teams. Lots of sloppy defense and letting guys find open jumpers because someone missed or chose the wrong man to rotate to. It pains me to say because I love Coach Bud, but he's got some flaws.

It's not fatal, but it's symptomatic of greater issues on that team. They still have a pretty easy road to at least the ECF, but Toronto is going to give them hell and they will not beat LAC or Houston if that's who they face. 

Edited by BradInATX

Just now, BradInATX said:

Yeah, I mean I'm not trying to dunk the ball saying Orlando is going to win. I wouldn't even be surprised if the Bucks win in 5. Admittedly I have it on in the background while I work so I wasn't actively watching, but I saw a lot of the same defensive issues that I've seen in them for awhile now. They struggle to keep up on rotations with high energy active offensive teams. Lots of sloppy defense and letting guys find open jumpers because someone missed or chose the wrong man to rotate to. 

It's not fatal, but it's symptomatic of greater issues on that team. 

I don’t get what that would be. They have had one of the great two year regular season runs around (up until bubble time anyway). They’ve accomplished nothing individually or team wise to be complacent about. 
It wasn’t pretty. Weird environment for them and a really bad break that they don’t get home court in a tough gym to play in. 

9 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Yep. There is no home/away in these playoffs. On paper only. Only thing that will change is they change uniforms. I think this will favor the better teams. The lesser teams can get an extra boost from being at home and their role players can find a better groove. None of that this year. But on the flip side, the lesser teams don't have the daunting task to try and beat these better teams on the road.

28 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. Keyboards on phones don't automatically save certain words unless you just type it so much or manually save it. So yeah, this is a word he regularly types. 

That's actually not true. While google/apple/samsung etc haven't ever specifically divulged their trade secrets, the basic part of autocorrect and keyboard software, the word bank ("corpus"), is generated from media articles, books, etc.  Now there is a machine learning aspect, which is where a large portion of the trade secrets for each company lie, that learns how and what the user types and tries to predict when they'll use those words.  But one definitely doesn't have to use a word before that word shows up as an autocorrect option.