The Supremes

tx 3 putt

56 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

The only reason I think SCOTUS won't overturn Roe is because then the Rs won't be able to use abortion as a scare tactic to keep their idiot voters voting for them. 

The 6 conservative SCOTUS justices are all true believers when it comes to abortion opposition. John Roberts is more cautious than the others, but none of them are going to ultimately be restrained by their desire to maximize the political utility of keeping abortion "legal." Hell, the right has already moved passed abortion to drumming up fear of liberal pedophiles so it's not even necessary to keep their base engaged.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The 6 conservative SCOTUS justices are all true believers when it comes to abortion opposition. John Roberts is more cautious than the others, but none of them are going to ultimately be restrained by their desire to maximize the political utility of keeping abortion "legal." Hell, the right has already moved passed abortion to drumming up fear of liberal pedophiles so it's not even necessary to keep their base engaged.

Outlaw abortion and it will result in a lot of unwanted, disadvantaged young lives ripe for predation by pedophiles. 

8 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Outlaw abortion and it will result in a lot of unwanted, disadvantaged young lives ripe for predation by pedophiles. 

That's the goal.  If you think the party of Hastert, Trump, Josh Duggar, Gym Jordan, and Matt Gaetz gives a flying fuck about protecting children, I got a bridge to sell you.  They only want to rile up the rubes, which they're already doing.  And well if poor people have their lives ruined, BONUS!

To me the court lost its legitimacy when it refused to address gerrymandering. It's now the law of the land that you can fuck around however badly you want if you're in power and there's not a goddamned thing anyone can do about it. Wisconsin had like 60% democratic vote statewide and won like 35% of legislative seats. There's a point where gerrymandering is clearly unconstitutional, but the only body that could make that clear has refused. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

Congratulations to Ketanji Brown Jackson on her nomination to the Supreme Court. Fuck Lindsey Graham especially for voting nay when he voted FOR her when she was appointed to an appellate court. You fucking hypocritical partisan hack. Just die already. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So apparently there is some fuckery being perpetrated by Rand Paul??? Big shocker there. They can't find him and he's the only outstanding vote it seems. I hate the cocksucker sooooooooooo goddammnnnnn much.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

So apparently there is some fuckery being perpetrated by Rand Paul??? Big shocker there. They can't find him and he's the only outstanding vote it seems. I hate the cocksucker sooooooooooo goddammnnnnn much.

He’s a complete fucking tool and a total fraud just like everyone else who claims to be a “libertarian.” It’s just a label that doesn’t actually apply to anything. It’s just a front. I guarantee you that I’m more familiar with the writings of Rand’s namesake than he is. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Congratulations to Ketanji Brown Jackson on her nomination to the Supreme Court. Fuck Lindsey Graham especially for voting nay when he voted FOR her when she was appointed to an appellate court. You fucking hypocritical partisan hack. Just die already. 

He didn’t make it to vote on the Senate. He had to vote in the cloakroom because he didn’t want to wear a tie when a black lady got voted in. Like always, he wanted to stay in the closet. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He’s a complete fucking tool and a total fraud just like everyone else who claims to be a “libertarian.” It’s just a label that doesn’t actually apply to anything. It’s just a front. I guarantee you that I’m more familiar with the writings of Rand’s namesake than he is. 

Neither Rand nor Ron are libertarians.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, C-Man said:

And like his campaign to fire Fauci, he’ll just use it to milk donations from the flock. ‘If I do this, and tweet this, money will come rolling in.’ Bada bing, bada boom.

The stupidity of lock step voting against a candidate because the candidate don't line up 100% to your belief system is just incredible. She's a great condidate and probably the best Biden could offer them to boot.

There were at least 10-20 GOP Senators who could have voted "yes" here without any negative personal ramifications knowing the vote was already decided anyway and that there existed potential positive benefits for them. It's one thing to be an asshole, but to be a really stupid political asshole with no grasp of how bad their political strategy is ... just mind numbing.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

There were at least 10-20 GOP Senators who could have voted "yes" here without any negative personal ramifications knowing the vote was already decided anyway and that there existed potential positive benefits for them. It's one thing to be an asshole, but to be a really stupid political asshole with no grasp of how bad their political strategy is ... just mind numbing.

Right? So frustrating. There something truly amazing and awful with GOP-social dynamics. 

33 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

that vote was a fucking travesty.

vote no? fuck you. i hate all republicans. there was no reason to vote no on this justice.

fuck all republicans is where i'm starting to land.

welcometothepartypal.gif

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SKJ said:

They don't rule by the spirit,  or intent of the law at all.  If they did,  they would cite legislative history,  which is how congress signals the intent of the law. 

Instead,  the use textualism.

former UT law prof Cary Franklin wrote about the bullshit that is textualism

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3859831

podcast discussion if you'd rather listen:

https://crooked.com/podcast/living-textualism/

19 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

The stupidity of lock step voting against a candidate because the candidate don't line up 100% to your belief system is just incredible. She's a great condidate and probably the best Biden could offer them to boot.

There would have definitely been political ramifications, because a huge swatch of their voting bloc our openly racists, many others are racist but still try to hide it for some reason.

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

The so-called "textualists" have diverted from that whenever they see fit. It's always been a lie. Even Scalia knew he was full of shit and diverted when it fit his agenda.

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

As more time passes from the drafting of the Constitution, the more textualism gets steeped in bullshit.  "Hey, it's 2022, but what would a bunch of white slave-owners living centuries away from things like the internet and easy access to automatic weapons have thought about this issue?"

It's the same shit with the Bible, though I'm sure there are conservatives out there who still think a disobedient child should be stoned to death.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, South Austin said:

As more time passes from the drafting of the Constitution, the more textualism gets steeped in bullshit.  "Hey, it's 2022, but what would a bunch of white slave-owners living centuries away from things like the internet and easy access to automatic weapons have thought about this issue?"

It's the same shit with the Bible, though I'm sure there are conservatives out there who still think a disobedient child should be stoned to death.

it's not just that. she's writing specifically about bostock and gorsuch's "well i looked in a dictionary and it said this and so that's what the law says" and why that's complete bullshit for legal reasoning and is the result of a lot of normative/subjective decisions that the textualist loudly tells people he's not doing.  the civil rights acts are old but they're not that old. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

it's not just that. she's writing specifically about bostock and gorsuch's "well i looked in a dictionary and it said this and so that's what the law says" and why that's complete bullshit for a legal reasoning and is the result of a lot of normative/subjective decisions that the textualist loudly tells people he's not doing.  the civil rights acts are old but they're not that old. 

I'd be more forgiving of that viewpoint if it were applied consistently.  The problem is, it's only applied when someone can't put up a better, sound legal argument.

29 minutes ago, elfenix said:

I've heard a lot about it on a few different podcasts I listen to. 

Hell,  I heard about Alito's secret document from two different podcasts,  ALAB and Mic Dicta.

I like to listen about the court while I'm driving in to work.  It's so interesting,  as well as suck a different venue than my work it really clears my head. I'll have to give that one a listen. 

If you know of any other good podcasts about the court,  especially if it's funny and irreverent,  id be grateful for any recs

46 minutes ago, South Austin said:

9824996.png

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

RIP Mic Dicta.

SKJ, have you somehow missed out on 5-4 pod?

No, I have listened here and there,  but I get irritated with Rhianna's voice, so I have to take it or leave it.  

So far ALAB has been my favorite

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Not sure I'd ever vote for Mitt, but I've gained some respect for him over the past several years.

I've said it before: he'll run for president again.  Setting himself up to being the "sane" one.

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Not sure I'd ever vote for Mitt, but I've gained some respect for him over the past several years.

Not being as shitty as Ted Cruz and his ilk is a low bar to cross. As the party continues to plunge farther to the right and the extremists become more and more extreme, people like Mitt Romney and Liz Cheney, who aren’t good people, now seem quaint. Oh look, they did the right thing. Isn’t that charming? God bless them for not being total dirtbags.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

I don't agree with Mitt on virtually anything and if every Republican was Mitt Romney America would still be a fucked up and shitty place but it would be like the 1980's version of shitty America and not whatever computer simulation we seem to be living in.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

9824996.png

It wasn’t taxation they were upset about, it was taxation without representation. There’s a huge difference. Death and taxes are unavoidable. We have religion to pretend we can avoid one and the GOP to pretend we can avoid the other. Some people get the two confused.