Reese Bennett

Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Bobby Burton: The day after...

In the last 24-36 hours, Texas finished off its class by signing defensive end Alfred Collins and wide receiver/athlete Kelvontay Dixon and losing out on defensive lineman Princely Umanmielen and cornerback Ennis Rakestraw. In total, Texas ended the class of 2020 with 19 total commitments. The Horns would have liked to fill two or three more spots, but couldn't close on options they liked and didn't want to extend scholarships to prospects they didn't think would better the team or meet the team's needs.

I'm a firm believer that a key part of recruiting is addressing a team's needs. However, that is almost never factored into final team rankings. Yet not signing a certain position or the right player at a certain position can be a death knell (think Texas and the QBs the Longhorns' program endured for the better part of the past decade). With that in mind, I'm looking at this year's class from that viewpoint in today's column, while also grading out recruiting at the position overall and its strengths and weaknesses.

Quarterbacks

Hudson Card, 6-2.5, 179, Lake Travis, Ranked No. 7 in the state

Ja'Quinden Jackson, 6-2, 219, Duncanville, No. 10

Strengths/Weaknesses: I think Texas hit a homerun here. Too often a team signs a great runner/developmental passer, like Jackson, and no other QB in a class. That's exactly what Texas did a year ago with Roschon Johnson. But that leaves you exposed if QB doesn't work out for that player. The signing of Card is no small thing. Texas, more than likely, added a starting QB of the future in this class. Whether that's Card or Jackson is to be determined. But going after - and signing - two prospects at the position was a necessity.

Grade: A+. It couldn't have played out any better.

Running back

Bijan Robinson, 6-0, 200, Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic, No. 2 in the state of Arizona

Strengths/Weaknesses: If you're going to sign just a single running back, it might as well be the nation's no. 1 player at the position. Robinson was rarely tested on the high school level, but in all-star and camp settings against groups of similarly talented players, he still stood out. He should get carries early in his career if he can learn to handle blitz pick up enough to not expose Sam Ehlinger. But did Texas truly meet its needs at the position? Maybe not. The Horns clearly wanted to sign two RBs in this class, but lost Ty Jordan, discontinued their recruitment of Zach Evans and failed to swing Jase McClellan.

Grade: A-. Great individual player but the Horns wanted two at the position. This pretty much guarantees that Roschon Johnson stays at RB (which may have already been decided given how well he took to the position and performed).

Wide receiver

Troy Omeire, 6-3.5, 206, Fort Bend Austin, No. 37

Kelvontay Dixon, 6-0, 180, Carthage, No. 49

Dajon Harrison, 5-10, 170, Hutto, No. 70

Strengths/Weaknesses: Did Texas sign an elite receiver? Time will tell. I love Dixon as a player, but he doesn't represent the mismatch that a guy like Demond Demas or Quentin Johnston would, and he's also the only one who has legit sprinter's speed. I actually see Dixon as more of an outside receiver than inside one, which means Harrison is the true slot guy in the class. Harrison is plenty slippery, but I wouldn't put him on the same pedestal as someone like Devon Achane in the state. Omeire is already on campus in Austin. He has a great wingspan but must prove he can get off of press coverage at the line of scrimmage.

Grade: B-. Given the other prospects in the state, I think Texas should - and could - have done better. Dixon is the only one who has close to elite speed.

Tight end/H-back

Jaden Hullaby, 6-2, 205, Mansfield Timberview, No. 79

Strengths/Weaknesses: This is a hard one to gauge. I actually like Hullaby a lot as a player and recruit. He's a do-it-all type with plus athleticism and play-through-contact toughness that I think translates well to the college game. But he's also a 6-foot-2 hybrid TE/HB, so there are limitations.

Grade: B. Texas also tried to sign a blue chipper at the position in Jalin Conyers but came up short. The Horns never really engaged with another TE, which means they didn't feel the need to as much as they couldn't find one that they liked enough to do so.

Offensive line

Jake Majors, 6-3.5, 283, Prosper, No. 28

Jaylen Garth, 6-5, 285, Port Neches-Groves, No. 39

Logan Parr, 6-3.5, 280, San Antonio O'Connor, No. 41

Andrej Karic, 6-4.5, 272, Southlake Carroll, No. 53

Strengths/Weaknesses: There is decent quality in this group. I like Garth's upside more than any of the group. But Garth also suffered a season-ending knee injury that he must come back from. I also like the technique, work ethic and attention to detail of Majors. Parr is a guard, with good size and above average footwork. In many ways, I see him as the Zach Shackelford of this class. I think he has the highest floor of this OL class. Yet outside of Garth, I'm not sure any of these players truly project to play at either tackle spot. Karic was recruited as such, but I just don't see that Texas will be right on that one given his lack of arm length.

Grade: B. Solid but not spectacular. Chances are one of Majors and Parr develop into a starter. Garth's development will be key to watch.

Defensive line

Alfred Collins, 6-5, 284, Bastrop Cedar Creek, No. 8

Vernon Broughton, 6-5, 286, Cy Ridge, No. 16

Sawyer Goram-Welch, 6-4, 278, Longview, No. 154

Strengths/Weaknesses: There's no under-sized guy in this group. All of them have size, strength and good athleticism. Broughton probably has the most quickness, but he's also the rawest of the group, so it's good that he's already enrolled. Collins is a multi-sport star who has yet to focus fully on football. He could be a true force in years to come if he continues to develop and work hard. Goram-Welch is an interesting case. Texas identified and chose him over a host of other in-state prospects at the position, getting him to decommit from Oklahoma State. If he turns out to be a player, I tip my cap to the team's recruiting department. My only question is whether or not Texas signed a true pass-rushing threat for the DL?

Grade: A-. Broughton and Collins should develop into multi-year starters. They both have NFL possibilities. Goram-Welch is a wildcard. Texas would have liked one more, a truer pass-rushing threat that was in the 250-pound range.

Linebacker

Prince Dorbah, 6-2.5, 208, Highland Park, No. 17

Jaylan Ford, 6-2.5, 205, Frisco Lone Star, No. 155

Strengths/Weaknesses: Texas needs "better" linebackers in the worst way. Take away Joe Ossai, and it's the one position group on defense that is not on the same talent level as other position groups on campus. I like both of these guys. Physically, they are eerily simlar. Long-armed, lean-muscled and relatively quick. Dorbah was an absolute monster as a pass rusher. But at his size, he may be asked to play more off ball in college. Texas looked around late and chose Ford, who they got to de-commit from Utah. Ford makes a ton of plays in the middle of the field and can move sideline-to-sideline. I'm just not sure that Texas signed that inside linebacker who can plug the holes against the OU run game yet still get outside at the college.

Grade: B+. The quality is there. I'm just not convinced either is an inside linebacker, which means the Horns may have come up short despite the quality of both signees.

Cornerback

Kitan Crawford, 5-11, 200, Tyler John Tyler, No. 25

Strengths/Weaknesses: Texas needed at least two corners. They signed just one, albeit a good one. Crawford is one of the team's better signees overall. He can play corner, nickel, safety or even receiver or running back. And like some others in this class, he doesn't shy away from physicality. I also like that he has good ball skills and plus speed. Texas just needed to find another one like him.

Grade: C. Texas probably signed a future starter. But the Horns needed two in this class.

Safety

Xavian Alford, 6-0, 182, Pearland Shadow Creek, No. 22

Jerrin Thompson, 6-0.5, 183, Lufkin, No. 27

Strengths/Weaknesses: This is an interesting pairing. I feel like Texas signed two quality players. But I also feel like they both might be best suited for strong safety over any other position, meaning there's no speedy, ball-hawking free safety, that could also spin down and cover the slot in certain defensive looks. Alford's mind for the game, which I'm told is on another level from most of his peers, could help him like it has Caden Sterns. Time will tell.

Grade: C+. Chances are either Alford or Thompson will end up a starter but not both because of lack of position flexibility. I clearly could be wrong, but that's my initial take and why the grade is what it is.

Yes you stupid fucking dumbass aggy. You wanted both Collins and Broughton, but had no shot at either so you went OOS of state and bought 3 guys. Based on how many of your previous OOS prospects have already portal'd home, there is high probability that 2/3 of those guys will portal in 1-2 years.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Uh oh, y'all. Collins and Broughton might not fit our scheme.

That whole thread is gold.  They say aggy has 5 DL who would start for us and that we are recruiting like they did the last 10 years they were in the Big 12, only getting 4-5 high end players with a bunch of filler.  

41 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I made that bad stroke pun a few pages ago and thought it slipped under the radar. But after seeing all the negs...

I'd give you a hand, if only I could move it.

Jaden Hullaby may be the Colby jack of all trades in this class. The 49ers proved that there is some serious cheddar to be made as a Swiss Army knife hback/fullback. However we are a pot and three skewers short of a fondu set at linebacker.

4 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Remember when Derek Farmer was better than Cedric Benson?  I do.  Fucking mooks.

Who was the LB that Hamm said would be better than Malik that hardly ever played for them?

9 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Remember when Derek Farmer was better than Cedric Benson?  I do.  Fucking mooks.

Don't forget Sirr Parker > Ricky Williams. And Reggie McNeal > VY. And Dwaine Thomas > Malik Jefferson. And James Lockhart > Charles Omenihu.

Edited by satyanash

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Don't forget Sirr Parker > Ricky Williams. And Reggie McNeal > VY. And Dwaine Thomas > Malik Jefferson. And James Lockhart > Charles Omenihu.

I'm sure if there had been an internet at the time, we would have been regaled with how Curtis Dickey was better than Earl Campbell. "Fucking mooks" doesn't even begin to describe their inherent, interminable, insufferable insipidity.

The aggy classes will continue to be highly ranked because they have a complete scheme in place to make illegal inducements. Until Texas starts doing the same, get used to them recruiting at or near our level.

24 minutes ago, Fred Willard said:

Jaden Hullaby may be the Colby jack of all trades in this class. The 49ers proved that there is some serious cheddar to be made as a Swiss Army knife hback/fullback. However we are a pot and three skewers short of a fondu set at linebacker.

Cheese wiz, guys. Curd it out.

5 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

What do I win?

1. Geoff Ketchum
2. Chip Brown 
3. Bobby Burton (and Shannon Terry)
4. Recruitocosm/Eric Nahlin
5. Peter Bean
6. Jason Higdon
7. EJ Holland

Fuuuuck

angry gary oldman GIF

53 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

That whole thread is gold.  They say aggy has 5 DL who would start for us and that we are recruiting like they did the last 10 years they were in the Big 12, only getting 4-5 high end players with a bunch of filler.  

Lulz.

Since Jimbo has been at aggy.

5 stars signed - 4

4 stars signed - 39

3 stars signed - 32

Herman during the same time period

5 - 5

4 - 46

3 - 21

31 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz.

5 stars signed - 4

4 stars signed - 39

3 stars signed - 32

5 - 5

4 - 46

3 - 21

Yeah, but you're probably using the ratings that are altered to make Texas look better and aggie look worse.  

On 2/5/2020 at 4:54 PM, OnAComputer said:

Texas missed on a lot of guys and then they also didn't miss on a lot of a guys. They missed on some of the guys they tried to get to make up for the guys they missed. They didn't miss on some of the guys they tried to get to make up for the guys they missed. They missed on some of the guys they tried to get to make up for the guys they missed who they tried to get to make up for the guys they missed on. They didn't missed on some of the guys they tried to get to make up for the guys they missed who they tried to get to make up for the guys they missed on.

I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.

The aggy classes will continue to be highly ranked because they have a complete scheme in place to pay recruits sharp cheddar.

Fify

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz.

5 stars signed - 4

4 stars signed - 39

3 stars signed - 32

5 - 5

4 - 46

3 - 21

Aggie recruits rarely paneer out. Raejusto flop.  They Havarti no heart. 

5 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I'm surprised we took Dorbah after all the drama.  And 18 months ago he was *the* *get*.  Why did he fall to #17?

What was the drama with him?

8 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

The aggy classes will continue to be highly ranked because they have a complete scheme in place to make illegal inducements. Until Texas starts doing the same, get used to them recruiting at or near our level.

Did they offer Umanmielen a princely sum? 

7 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.

How unAmerican

8 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I'm surprised we took Dorbah after all the drama.  And 18 months ago he was *the* *get*.  Why did he fall to #17?

I feel like there's some sarcasm here I'm just not getting?

10 hours ago, texifornia said:

Uh oh, y'all. Collins and Broughton might not fit our scheme.

A&M recruited those same DL for their four man front scheme 

11 hours ago, JBJ said:

Unless Hank Coutamanos graduated early or doesn't get his scholarship renewed, it should be 85.  He may have graduated, but was listed as a junior.

It should be 84 with Coutamanos included 

11 hours ago, texifornia said:

Walk-on schollies are one year things

Technically, all scholarships are one year things. I'll be shocked if any of the current PWO turned scholarship guys get their scholarships yanked. 

10 hours ago, Fred Willard said:

to be fair Juszczyk is an extremely unique case who can block like a FB and also can be flexed out and be pretty decent out there as well...

oh yeah, and Kyle Shanahan is actually an excellent scheming coach who finds a way to be both head coach and call plays at the NFL level. 

9 hours ago, RabidM said:

Yeah, but you're probably using the ratings that are altered to make Texas look better and aggie look worse.  

BOMC, obviously

Just now, NoName said:

to be fair Juszczyk is an extremely unique case who can block like a FB and also can be flexed out and be pretty decent out there as well...

oh yeah, and Kyle Shanahan is actually an excellent scheming coach who finds a way to be both head coach and call plays at the NFL level. 

Yeah, I don’t trust Herman to figure out how to utilize a guy like that, and given our need at LB, plus JQJ starting out at QB, I hope we start Hullaby at LB. 

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, I don’t trust Herman to figure out how to utilize a guy like that, and given our need at LB, plus JQJ starting out at QB, I hope we start Hullaby at LB. 

i really hope Yurkich can

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

i really hope Yurkich can

We don’t know how much latitude Yurcich will have under Herman yet, and Yurcich hasn’t traditionally used a FB/H-back. 

It’s not worth pulling a guy away from LB to move to fullback unless you run a system that is designed to utilize that position, a la Shanahan or Riley. Yurcich has shown very promising signs of adapting to his available personnel, but that’s different than having a system designed to utilize such a unique player. I think they need to give him a shot at LB first and only move to H-back if he doesn’t work out there. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

We don’t know how much latitude Yurcich will have under Herman yet, and Yurcich hasn’t traditionally used a FB/H-back. 

It’s not worth pulling a guy away from LB to move to fullback unless you run a system that is designed to utilize that position, a la Shanahan or Riley. Yurcich has shown very promising signs of adapting to his available personnel, but that’s different than having a system designed to utilize such a unique player. I think they need to give him a shot at LB first and only move to H-back if he doesn’t work out there. 

Yurcich has used the h-back and fullback plenty, he just doesn’t usually attempt to scheme them open in the passing game. Frequently they’re running dummy routes to keep someone occupied, or have run blocking assignments in RPOs