Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

57 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Jaden Hullaby = 55, Kelvontay Dixon = 86, Dajon Harrison = 88

Three guys with positional flexibility. Three questions answered. Clearly, they want the ball in Dixon's hands and I'm good with it. 

That’s great news for Hullaby and Dixon. Hullaby’s ceiling has always been at LB IMO. 

39 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Updated height/weight

• Black: 6'3, 217
  • Card: 6'2, 193
  • JQJ: 6'2, 232 (!)
  • Bijan: 6'0, 222 (!)
  • Crawford: 5'11, 185
  • Alford: 6'0, 190
  • Jerrin: 6'0, 190
  • Barron: 5'11, 183
  • Dorbah: 6'3, 220
  • Ford: 6'2, 223
  • Broughton: 6'4, 290
  • Hullaby: 6'2, 217 (!)
  • Majors: 6'3, 298
  • Karic: 6'4, 294 
  • Parr: 6'4, 298
  • Garth: 6'5, 299 (!)
  • Omeire: 6'3, 230 (!)
  • Dixon: 6'0, 180
  • Harrison: 5'10, 170
  • Goram-Welch: 6'4, 295
  • Lilly: 6'1, 262 (Looks like we added a transfer: https://247sports.com/Player/John-Lilly-84374/)
  • Collins: 6'5, 305 (!)

Of note, Josh Moore weighed in under 170 on the official team site...

Collins is a freak. He’s gonna be able to carry 320 easily. Reminds me a lot of Chris Jones in KC. If Dorbah’s actually 6’3, 220 lbs, then he can definitely stay as an edge defender. 

If Omeire is actually 6’3, 230 right now, then we might have found our TE in the 2020 class. 

32 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

If you weigh him while he’s strapped he’s 185. 

Bravo, sir. 

31 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

*walk-on transfer. John Lilly is absolutely here to play school. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That’s great news for Hullaby and Dixon. Hullaby’s ceiling has always been at LB IMO. 

Collins is a freak. He’s gonna be able to carry 320 easily. Reminds me a lot of Chris Jones in KC. If Dorbah’s actually 6’3, 220 lbs, then he can definitely stay as an edge defender. 

If Omeire is actually 6’3, 230 right now, then we might have found our TE in the 2020 class. 

I hadn't noticed that Omiere weight until you pointed it out - he already wasn't the fastest guy and that weight isn't going to help..

16 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I hadn't noticed that Omiere weight until you pointed it out - he already wasn't the fastest guy and that weight isn't going to help..

That's not his role, though. Omeire is quick with body control and hops. And he's a good route runner. As long as the weight doesn't effect those, he'll be just fine. Actually, Tarik Black is a good comp for him.

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Updated height/weight

• Black: 6'3, 217
  • Card: 6'2, 193
  • JQJ: 6'2, 232 (!)
  • Bijan: 6'0, 222 (!)
  • Crawford: 5'11, 185
  • Alford: 6'0, 190
  • Jerrin: 6'0, 190
  • Barron: 5'11, 183
  • Dorbah: 6'3, 220
  • Ford: 6'2, 223
  • Broughton: 6'4, 290
  • Hullaby: 6'2, 217 (!)
  • Majors: 6'3, 298
  • Karic: 6'4, 294 
  • Parr: 6'4, 298
  • Garth: 6'5, 299 (!)
  • Omeire: 6'3, 230 (!)
  • Dixon: 6'0, 180
  • Harrison: 5'10, 170
  • Goram-Welch: 6'4, 295
  • Lilly: 6'1, 262 (Looks like we added a transfer: https://247sports.com/Player/John-Lilly-84374/)
  • Collins: 6'5, 305 (!)

Of note, Josh Moore weighed in under 170 on the official team site...

Hope Garth can stay healthy and fully recover.  He has everything you want to be a real good Tackle.  Good thing is we shouldn't need him to see the field for a couple years (hopefully this is the case with this entire OL class).

Will be interesting to see if Karic ends up at Tackle or Guard.  Maybe a swing guy?

Looks like Card has put on some good weight.

11 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Orlando is gone. Ash will not have Collins dropping back into coverage nor will he have Collins in a 3 4 eating up blockers so that our LBs can misread the play and gap.

It's really simple. Tell him to go tackle whoever has the ball and kill anyone in the way.

So, he’s the Alvin Mack of DT’s?  Gruntled!

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Orlando is gone. Ash will not have Collins dropping back into coverage nor will he have Collins in a 3 4 eating up blockers so that our LBs can misread the play and gap.

It's really simple. Tell him to go tackle whoever has the ball and kill anyone in the way.

From your mouth to Ash's ears...

31 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Hope Garth can stay healthy and fully recover.  He has everything you want to be a real good Tackle.  Good thing is we shouldn't need him to see the field for a couple years (hopefully this is the case with this entire OL class).

Will be interesting to see if Karic ends up at Tackle or Guard.  Maybe a swing guy?

Looks like Card has put on some good weight.

I think Karic is a tackle all the way in college, just like Connor Williams. He's got the feet to make up for lack of height/reach in college. NFL will probably be a different story. Hopefully he can keep/put on weight better than Williams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

For sure. He's just different. 

But really, it's not just Bijan. I mean, he's the extreme example but there are a lot of guys in this class (and each of Herman's classes) that are simply different. It's one of the reasons I'm stunned when I see people that are hating on Herman as a constant refrain. Do they not go to games? Have they not witnessed the actual clearly visible physical transformation of our roster? Don't get me wrong, I know Herman has got to get better and quickly, but can those same people not see the difference in signing guys like Breckyn Hager vs. Joseph Ossai, not to mention someone like Alfred Collins FFS. Guys like Keondre Coburn, who on his first day on campus was the best looking most physically developed DT on the roster. Guys like Jhadae Barron,  Jaylan Ford, Kelvontay Dixon, Jaden Hullaby, and Adrej Karic make up the BOTTOM portion of the classes.

Garrett Thomas or Andrej Karic? Tough choice. 

TSRH. This. EXACT. Shit. 

Collins will be a top 20 draft pick, barring injury. Ash will do with him exactly what he did with similar guys at Wisconsin and Ohio State --- he'll get the fuck out of the way. He's going to keep things simple and let these big, strong, fast, guys be bigger, stronger, and faster than the guy they line up against.

Casual Texas fans in 2020 (as long as we have this season) "Who is T'Vondre Sweat and why does he continue to pull limbs off of people in the backfield? Why do he and Keondre Coburn appear to be in the backfield before the QB has the snap over and over? Where were these guys last year? Why aren't we blitzing on 3rd and 63?" 

I said Chris Jones earlier, but JJ Watt is a also a decent comparison for Collins' absolute ceiling. Guys that 6'6 290+ who can line up at any spot on the DL and wreak absolute havoc. He's going to be quicker than all of the interior OL and have the strength and leverage to also win on the edge. 

12 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Fuck. Yes. 

also this is huge, imo. 

a weight loss of nearly 20 pounds for senior defensive end Marqez Bimage down to 251 pounds.

Tyus Bowser 2.0. Clearly Ash has that same plan and Yancey has put that plan into action. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, golfclap said:

But really, it's not just Bijan. I mean, he's the extreme example but there are a lot of guys in this class (and each of Herman's classes) that are simply different. It's one of the reasons I'm stunned when I see people that are hating on Herman as a constant refrain. Do they not go to games? Have they not witnessed the actual clearly visible physical transformation of our roster? Don't get me wrong, I know Herman has got to get better and quickly, but can those same people not see the difference in signing guys like Breckyn Hager vs. Joseph Ossai, not to mention someone like Alfred Collins FFS. Guys like Keondre Coburn, who on his first day on campus was the best looking most physically developed DT on the roster. Guys like Jhadae Barron,  Jaylan Ford, Kelvontay Dixon, Jaden Hullaby, and Adrej Karic make up the BOTTOM portion of the classes.

TSRH. This. EXACT. Shit. 

Collins will be a top 20 draft pick, barring injury. Ash will do with him exactly what he did with similar guys at Wisconsin and Ohio State --- he'll get the fuck out of the way. He's going to keep things simple and let these big, strong, fast, guys be bigger, stronger, and faster than the guy they line up against.

Casual Texas fans in 2020 (as long as we have this season) "Who is T'Vondre Sweat and why does he continue to pull limbs off of people in the backfield? Why do he and Keondre Coburn appear to be in the backfield before the QB has the snap over and over? Where were these guys last year? Why aren't we blitzing on 3rd and 63?" 

Resetting the line of scrimmage every single snap. Fuck yes!

12 minutes ago, golfclap said:

TSRH. This. EXACT. Shit. 

waiting for Sataya..

BeneficialBriskKillifish-size_restricted

9 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Fuck. Yes. 

also this is huge, imo. 

Tyus Bowser 2.0. Clearly Ash has that same plan and Yancey has put that plan into action. 

Some other notables to me.

Rojo up to 227 lbs

Tillman up to 240 lbs ( hope he can still move like he did coming in )

Wiley at 255 lbs could be a big time matchup problem for other teams.

Liebrock now at 235 lbs.

Sweat at 348 lbs can be a monster if he can still move like last year.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

BJ Foster dropping 20 lbs certainly indicates he plans to play deep safety, not LB or even nickel.  Adimora getting up to 215 is nickel all the way. 

Cosmi at 6'7 309 is interesting too. I figured he'be weigh less. That's an encouraging sign for his top 10 pick ambitions. 

Sweat is 6'4, 348 and Coburn is 6'2, 348. Holy shit! Ojomo is 6'3, 276. I wonder if he'll be at SDE with Coburn and Sweat in the middle and Ossai at Jack. 

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Fuck. Yes. 

also this is huge, imo. 

Bimage being able to back up Ossai at Jack would be great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Some other notables to me.

Rojo up to 227 lbs

Tillman up to 240 lbs ( hope he can still move like he did coming in )

Wiley at 255 lbs could be a big time matchup problem for other teams.

Liebrock now at 235 lbs.

Sweat at 348 lbs can be a monster if he can still move like last year.

Elliott was 225 at Ohio State, I think Herman and Drayton are using that as a baseline. With Ingram at 222, Johnson at 227, and Robinson at 222. Young is the lightest at 215.

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Elliott was 225 at Ohio State, I think Herman and Drayton are using that as a baseline. With Ingram at 222, Johnson at 227, and Robinson at 222. Young is the lightest at 215.

They have clear frame preferences for RB. 6'0, 225. Balance and agility over speed. We haven't signed a burner under Tom yet, Wheaton would change that. He's an exception, though in that he can be a burner and maybe get up to Danny Young size. LJ Johnson better fits the profile. As does Brooks, obviously. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I was at the Lone Star vs Lancaster playoff game last year and the second most impressive athlete on the field that day (Mims being the most impressive) was Jaylan Ford. This was back when he was still committed to Utah. I think he’ll end up surprising a lot of people once he gets on the field. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

They have clear frame preferences for RB. 6'0, 225.  — LJ Johnson better fits the profile. As does Brooks, obviously. 

Alton McCaskill fits in every way and adds 10.9 100 speed to the skill set. 

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Jesus. I step away for a few hours and come back and kool-aid is spewing from fire hydrants and the entire thread has been randy marsh'd. 

Fuck it, someone throw me a beer. 

KnobbyImpracticalAmericanpainthorse-size

Or, you know, to bless this thread with good karma, maybe I should also include this one:

giphy.gif

IN!

tenor.gif?itemid=4093663

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

TSRH. This. EXACT. Shit. 

I put our staff right at the top when it comes to evaluations.  It's so refreshing to see an organized recruiting department that actually watches film and verifies measurement and track times with guidelines given by the head coach and strength coach.  They're definitely taking a "sports science" and "money ball" approach to recruiting.  They look for certain traits at every position and they don't seem to veer away from it outside of a few exceptions.  

QBs:  We seem to love dual threats with position flexibility.  Herman also loves him some alpha males at this position

RB:  They've been trying to get the next Zeke for Drayton.  6'0 220lb guys with vision and burst

WR:  X, H, and Z all have specific traits and we actually seem to recruit guys that fit these positions.  Unlike Mack were every WR was a Bobby Kennedy special

TE:  We've yet to see one fully pan out.  They seem to like guys that love to block and can run.  6'4-6'5 guys that are around 220-230 coming out of high school. Wiley fits this to a T.  Let's see if one can learn how to catch.

OL:  Lean and long guys with flexibility.  They don't seem too concerned about weight and seem to prefer guys that are lighter that they can RS and bulk up.  Aggy on the other hand has taken every short fat cube you can think of.

DL:  They want big/twitchy guys with motors

LB:  Seems like we like the Malik/Gary prototype of lighter, faster, quicker guys

DB: Fast shuttle times and fluid hips.  Most of these guys have height and length with the exceptions being shorter badasses like Jaimson and Bowman.  Seems like they really like to prioritize instincts and ability to play the ball in the air at safety.  Sterns, Alford, JD Coffey have some of the best instincts at the position.  

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Last year our LB was mediocre at best, and down right shitty a lot of the time. If we lose track meet games, it'll be because LB play sucks ass. DBs were a net positive. Hoping they are a strength this year. DL is the strongest position on the D, and maybe the team. RB depth and ability finally is in a good spot. QB is great but worried if Sam goes down. Sure the fuck would've been nice to give Casey some real action last year. Receivers need to be more consistent but I blame that on shitty coaching. OL "should" be better. Season will go as OLine goes (that can be said for every year), LB play, and if Sam stays healthy all year.

Herman has no excuses. We better win the conference this year.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

Last year our LB was mediocre at best, and down right shitty a lot of the time. If we lose track meet games, it'll be because LB play sucks ass. DBs were a net positive. Hoping they are a strength this year. DL is the strongest position on the D, and maybe the team. RB depth and ability finally is in a good spot. QB is great but worried if Sam goes down. Sure the fuck would've been nice to give Casey some real action last year. Receivers need to be more consistent but I blame that on shitty coaching. OL "should" be better. Season will go as OLine goes (that can be said for every year), LB play, and if Sam stays healthy all year.

Herman has no excuses. We better win the conference this year.

Our LBs and DBs were both huge net negatives last year. Orlando never gave them a chance. The DB room definitely has more talent, but both will take huge steps forward just based on understanding what they're supposed to be doing. 

We're fucked no matter what if Sam goes down. Casey Thompson's not great and some more garbage time reps last year wouldn't have changed that.  I sort of agree on the OL, except that scheme/play calling is the biggest reason the OL struggled. So if factors outside the Hand and the OL's control change, then we'll see a big improvement from them. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Lilly: 6'1, 262 (Looks like we added a transfer: https://247sports.com/Player/John-Lilly-84374/)

WHAT THE FUCK!!?!??!?!

That dude took a class from me.  I had no idea that he was on the football team till he told me. I estimated him to be about 5'11" and 235.  I assumed he was an H-back or something.  Couldn't believe he was listed as a DT on our roster; figured we must really suck, and I was right. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, Beau Vine said:

WHAT THE FUCK!!?!??!?!

That dude took a class from me.  I had no idea that he was on the football team till he told me. I estimated him to be about 5'11" and 235.  I assumed he was an H-back or something.  Couldn't believe he was listed as a DT on our roster; figured we must really suck, and I was right. 

Hah. He's just a walk-on here, don't worry.