Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

Elko supposedly turned down offers closer to his mid-Atlantic roots, so it would be a dumb move to then pick up and move to Kansas of all places... zero momentum, zero local recruiting, perennial bottom dweller program. I suppose it can also be a good move to go where nobody has any expectations, and then turn heads... and then quickly move on to better opportunity elsewhere. If he left now, he surely would hand a full cupboard to the next DC at A&M, rather than making use of that potential himself.

• Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

"Top WR signees" means what, exactly? It's not like WRs don't get to show off their talent at all.  The recruiting stars fall by the wayside and players must show their stuff in practice and such.  It's a different system, but seems it allows adequate opportunity to shine for those willing to put in the work. Chase Lane was a 3-star out of high school.  Prima Donnas probably don't do well, blue collar receivers that block, and do everything else, probably get to play more. Top 3 receivers and receiving yards from last season at A&M vs at UT:

Ainias Smith:  564 yards, 6 TDs

Jalen Wydermyer: 506 yards, 6 TDs

Chase Lane: 409 yards, 2 TDs.

Joshua Moore:  472 yards, 9 TDs

Brennan Eagles:  469 yards, 5 TDs

Jake Smith:   294 yards, 3 TDs.

Even total receiving yards for each team isn't that far off, nor receiving yards/game. 

Holy fuck 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

What do you expect when your entire conference plays at least one FCS team every year. Replace those 14 wins with a SEC opponent and things change a lot for your conference.

Colorado, Arkansas, Auburn, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Missouri, and South Carolina all have 1st or 2nd year head coaches.

there are legitimate conversations to be made about non-conference scheduling and i think most athletic departments could do better here. 

as far as conference strength arguments, it's meaningless tripe - admittedly much of which flows from sec homerism - but what it generally reveals is people that do nothing but watch their own conference, or in many cases only their own team and pay no attention to the rest of college football. as to your point above about 1st or 2nd year head coaches . . . great? so does texas. doesn't have much to do with the roster.

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Reports are that Monken and Leipold are the finalists. I don't know whether they turned Fritz down or vice versa.

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Leipold could be very very good. He made Buffalo good at college football. Can you imagine recruiting to fucking Buffalo?

Turner Gill also made Buffalo competitive and even, at times, "good." And then some big old P5 program went and recruited him right out from underneath their feet. Who was it? <checks notes> Oh, that's right, Kansas!

I will laugh my ass off if they wind up repeating that move. I will not expect a different outcome. The Monken dude would be the guy I'd hire, hands down.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

Turner Gill also made Buffalo competitive and even, at times, "good." And then some big old P5 program went and recruited him right out from underneath their feet. Who was it? <checks notes> Oh, that's right, Kansas!

I will laugh my ass off if they wind up repeating that move. I will not expect a different outcome. The Monken dude would be the guy I'd hire, hands down.

Oh shit, I completely forgot about that. Man, what is with the Buffalo-Kansas connection? Aside from hefty portion sizes.

48 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

Elko supposedly turned down offers closer to his mid-Atlantic roots, so it would be a dumb move to then pick up and move to Kansas of all places... zero momentum, zero local recruiting, perennial bottom dweller program. I suppose it can also be a good move to go where nobody has any expectations, and then turn heads... and then quickly move on to better opportunity elsewhere. If he left now, he surely would hand a full cupboard to the next DC at A&M, rather than making use of that potential himself.

I think there might be more in play here than people realize. What have you heard from the aggy side of things about Elko and Travis Goff's relationship? 

Reading between the lines on some other boards it sounds like Goff is who helped get Elko's son a spot on the Northwestern baseball team. Goff is now the AD at Kansas of course. 

I'm just basing this on stuff I've read on other boards but I think Goff and Elko have a relationship. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Oh shit, I completely forgot about that. Man, what is with the Buffalo-Kansas connection? Aside from hefty portion sizes.

You can actually make a pretty good argument that Gill was better at Buffalo than Leipold. Leipold’s record was better, but Gill took over a much much worse program and Gill won their only conference championship.

That Kansas job is a black hole, catching teams off guard with the option is their best chance at being even competitive anytime soon. Monken should definitely be the hire.

3 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

You can actually make a pretty good argument that Gill was better at Buffalo than Leipold. Leipold’s record was better, but Gill took over a much much worse program and Gill won their only conference championship.

That Kansas job is a black hole, catching teams off guard with the option is their best chance at being even competitive anytime soon. Monken should definitely be the hire.

I think hiring the Army guy and running a unique offense could help them out....they can focus on getting mid west linemen to fit the system that are lower ranked.

LSU is a top 6 team in roster talent in 2021 & at worst they should be ranked in the top15 (and more likely, will be ranked much higher) when we play them on national tv at night on the road in Tiger Stadium in front of 85,000 drunk Cajuns during Rivalry Week.  

Auburn has top 20 roster talent, especially on defense, but it's too soon to know how things will go there under Harsin.

Outside of Bama & LSU, Kiffin's offense at Ole Miss is the game that concerns me the most.  

I keep seeing posts on this site saying how bad A&M's quarterbacks are, but after re-watching the A&M and Tx spring games on youtube, Card, Thompson, Calzada, & King all looked about even.  

Both Tx and A&M's Olines are question marks right now, but should be okay by Sept 1 when a full roster is available.  Defense, kicking, and run game should be good for both A&M and Tx. 

Take it fwiw - I've heard from multiple people within Northshore and now from people that personally know the coaches that the pipeline to A&M is going to be very limited going forward because of the banks situation.

Not that it matters - because the NS recruits are already aware of the treatment of Banks and Leon's twitter BS to where they don't want to go to college station anyways - regardless of how the coaches feel. 

Whoop(s)!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Take it fwiw - I've heard from multiple people within Northshore and now from people that personally know the coaches that the pipeline to A&M is going to be very limited going forward because of the banks situation.

Not that it matters - because the NS recruits are already aware of the treatment of Banks and Leon's twitter BS to where they don't want to go to college station anyways - regardless of how the coaches feel. 

Whoop(s)!

Who would have guessed. 

14 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Whoop(s)!

So basically back to what it's been since the beginning of time? I do not think 1 player in what, 15 years constitutes a "pipeline" to aTm. So one guy to zero guys. 

32 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Spiller and Achane the best duo in the SEC made me laugh. Absurd. 

SEC defenses haven't figured out that Jimbo has them coming out of the backfield to catch despite him doing it on every possession. Have to make sure the worst WR corp in the conference doesn't go off on them.

Whoop(s)!

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Looks like Looch got caught up in WRs under Jimbo conversation today too. I'm sure he's making excellent points but I have no idea what those may be.

That idiot also retweeted a tweet about the 2 point trick in the spring game with the caption "Steve Sarkisian when he doesn't have 5 first rounders on offense"  

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

That idiot also retweeted a tweet about the 2 point trick in the spring game with the caption "Steve Sarkisian when he doesn't have 5 first rounders on offense"  

Yes, definitely want to point out that a coach gets 40 yards on a pass play without 5 first rounders. 

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

he's hurt..  he can't spin the death of WRs in aggyland.. so he just deflects and attacks Sark/UT

13 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Looks like Looch got caught up in WRs under Jimbo conversation today too. I'm sure he's making excellent points but I have no idea what those may be.

Billy has no counterargument that Jimbo doesn't put WRs in the league. It's hard to argue with facts.

15 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

He wasnt even calling plays during the spring game. It was Choate and Flood. I don't expect him to know that with his lack of any type of research or knowledge about basically anything except the color of Jimbo's thongs during his "media meetings".

Edited by Vertigo
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

I'm still holding out hope for Demas to turn it on in between his ears this upcoming season.  Of course, that will only matter so much if he has a QB worth a damn to throw him the ball... and that is TBD, it seems, but not looking great, tbh.

The QB running for his life because of a shitty O line might be a more pressing concern for you and the underlying issue.

21 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

Oh, and while I'm visiting briefly, Leon O'Neal is probably going to be a better preacher or speaker on a talking circuit that an NFL player. He is probably setting things up for that career move. lol.  He should nonetheless not get into tweet battles with anybody, obviously. I guess he just can't help himself, or he loves getting a rise out of people. hah

I doubt he's enjoying getting torched on the socials by the best Texas CB in the upcoming class nor single handedly destroying the recruiting from North Shore.  Or maybe he is that dumb and he's sitting there giggling.

21 hours ago, bizzle said:

there are legitimate conversations to be made about non-conference scheduling

Your OOC scheduling is so pussy year in and year out, there's no conversation.  It's nothing short of cowardly and manipulative to prop up your record.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

fucking lulz. i was early to the spring game and saw them practice that play long before kickoff. it was players screwing around thing. i saw them practice that play, laughed, and wondered if they would actually run it. cool of coaches to let them have some fun.

it didn't work because all the players knew it was coming.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

So basically back to what it's been since the beginning of time? I do not think 1 player in what, 15 years constitutes a "pipeline" to aTm. So one guy to zero guys. 

this is eric crutchfield slander and i don't appreciate it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Two guys who originally really liked Texas and settled for aggy if I recall correctly.

Tucker for sure, I don’t remember us ever showing much interest in Buckley, he wasn’t some big time recruit.

He might’ve gotten an offer from Strong before he got fired though, both of these guys were in that awful transition year for us.

12 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Tucker for sure, I don’t remember us ever showing much interest in Buckley, he wasn’t some big time recruit.

He might’ve gotten an offer from Strong before he got fired though, both of these guys were in that awful transition year for us.

Buckley was an early known name who was over-ranked because he was early on the scene. Once people started actually watching his hudl they realized he probably wasn't going to be Texas good, and he gradually slid down the rankings iirc 

• Hook 'Em 2