Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

There was one right next to my apartment when I lived in Houston, and they fucked the fries up every single time. I even pulled a Karen one time and went back to the store with my fries. Nothing changed. This management was always going to serve old fries. So I finally started asking for no salt fries. I’ll either salt them at home or ask for salt, but you’re giving me fresh fries mother fucker. That’s LITERALLY the only reason i came to your shitty fast food restaurant.
Why did you keep going back? 2AM trips?

12 hours ago, Okie State said:
12 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
In N Out fries are good. Not the best I enjoy them.

No way man. They taste weird as hell. Not sure how they even do it, but whatever it is it's not good. I like their burgers though and don't really understand the hate.

The burgers are ok but the fries are absolutely tasteless.

I picked up McDonald's for my grand kids last night and decided to get a small fry to eat on the way home.

They were much better than In and Out and even better than Whataburger the last few times I went there.

In and Out Burger has good, clean fries because the potatoes are cut and then cooked onsite. You can literally see the raw potatoes, along with the onions, in the background of the drive-thru window. Lots of places do this (Five Guys, etc.) so I'm not touting it's revolutionary.

That said, it's widely known that McDonald's has a very proprietary and GMO/engineered potato interest in Idaho where they use only specific potatoes (certain size, strand, etc.) to get the fries that they consider a defensible product.

I would posit that maybe In and Out Burger fries taste bland/weird because french fries in general just aren't that naturally special, without the unhealthiness (e.g. beef fat, transfat, high fructose, etc.) and without the IP.

Edited by Rougarou

22 hours ago, Rougarou said:

In and Out Burger has good, clean fries because the potatoes are cut and then cooked onsite. You can literally see the raw potatoes, along with the onions, in the background of the drive-thru window. Lots of places do this (Five Guys, etc.) so I'm not touting it's revolutionary.

That said, it's widely known that McDonald's has a very proprietary and GMO/engineered potato interest in Idaho where they use only specific potatoes (certain size, strand, etc.) to get the fries that they consider a defensible product.

I would posit that maybe In and Out Burger fries taste bland/weird because french fries in general just aren't that naturally special, without the unhealthiness (e.g. beef fat, transfat, high fructose, etc.) and without the IP.

There is no way those fries I got at In and Out a couple of weeks ago were fresh. Not a chance.

I think you are seeing some frozen shit sitting out.

Those raw potatoes are probably just for show.

Edited by Steamboat1874

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

There is no way those fries I got at In and Out a couple of weeks ago were fresh. Not a chance.

I think you are seeing some frozen shit sitting out.

Those raw potatoes are probably just for show.

Yea, probably right. It's a big conspiracy. In and Out Burger is a nefarious frozen fry phony operator. Down with the liars!

On 8/11/2020 at 1:54 PM, 'stache said:

Baking or grilling potatoes seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, is far superior to any french fry and better for you, and not really that hard at all to make.  

You’re posting about making shit at home in response to which drive-through fries people prefer?

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 5:09 PM, Vic Mackey said:

In N Out fries are good. Not the best I enjoy them.

I think in and out has some of the worst fast food fries, and it’s why I can’t commit to in and out. I love their burgers, but the fries are half of the burger eating experience. Bad fries ruin the entire meal for me. And fuck your animal style fries. I’ve never understood the appeal. If the fries are good, i really don’t even need ketchup.

• Like 3

In n out fries suck because they don't double fry or par-boil or do any of the things you're supposed to do to make a good fry. It's just kennebec (not russet) potatoes dumped straight into hot oil.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

In n out fries suck because they don't double fry or par-boil or do any of the things you're supposed to do to make a good fry. It's just kennebec (not russet) potatoes dumped straight into hot oil.

All fast-food fries post 1992 are terrible. That’s when McDonald’s caved to the anti-fat warriors and stopped using animal fat to fry their fries. And it turns out fat was not the problem after all. Millennials and younger have no idea what a good fry tastes like. 
Malcolm Gladwell does a great job with this in this podcast:  http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/19-mcdonalds-broke-my-heart

In-n-out fries are particularly bad. Cardboard, tasteless, terrible things. 

Oh, and @Deej, I get that not everyone likes hatch green chile. That’s ok. But for people that grew up on New Mexico-style Mexican food, there’s no better time of year than Fall, when the chile harvest comes in. The smell of chile roasting all across town, the bite in the air in the morning starting in late August, a breakfast burrito with green chile and hash browns. Mmmmm. Good stuff. You don’t have to like it—more for the rest of us. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, nnm said:

All fast-food fries post 1992 are terrible. That’s when McDonald’s caved to the anti-fat warriors and stopped using animal fat to fry their fries. And it turns out fat was not the problem after all. Millennials and younger have no idea what a good fry tastes like. 
Malcolm Gladwell does a great job with this in this podcast:  http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/19-mcdonalds-broke-my-heart

Minor point but millennials were born in 1980 and are now as old as 40.  Quit thinking everyone under 25 is a millennial.  Most millennials had McDonald's French fries prior to 1992.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, nnm said:

In-n-out fries are particularly bad. Cardboard, tasteless, terrible things. 

Oh, and @Deej, I get that not everyone likes hatch green chile. That’s ok. But for people that grew up on New Mexico-style Mexican food, there’s no better time of year than Fall, when the chile harvest comes in. The smell of chile roasting all across town, the bite in the air in the morning starting in late August, a breakfast burrito with green chile and hash browns. Mmmmm. Good stuff. You don’t have to like it—more for the rest of us. 

What the fuck is a breakfast burrito?

God damn New Mexico California Yankee.

You probably think In N Out fries are good too.

Edited by Steamboat1874
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

God damn New Mexico California Yankee.

You probably think In N Out fries are good too.

My post literally said (and still does):  “In-n-out fries are particularly bad. Cardboard, tasteless, terrible things.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/13/2020 at 8:16 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

They are a foodstuff commonly found in New Mexico consisting of eggs, sausage, cheese, onions, potatoes, chiles and a salsa of your choice. The ingredients are wrapped in a large flour tortilla.  Some are large enough to keep a grown man full for an entire day.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

They are a foodstuff commonly found in New Mexico consisting of eggs, sausage, cheese, onions, potatoes, chiles and a salsa of your choice. The ingredients are wrapped in a large flour tortilla.  Some are large enough to keep a grown man full for an entire day.

As someone who loves breakfast tacos, a good NM breakfast burrito smothered in green is far superior to just about any breakfast taco I can get here in Austin.  If this opinion is unpopular, it shouldn’t be.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Breakfast burritos are amazing, and arguably superior to breakfast tacos due to their single serving efficiency. Perfect tailgate fuel for 11AM kick offs
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Druggist said:

As someone who loves breakfast tacos, a good NM breakfast burrito smothered in green is far superior to just about any breakfast taco I can get here in Austin.  If this opinion is unpopular, it shouldn’t be.

I was doing a job in Farmington, NM and we would drive down the road to a food truck in Silverton, CO that had the most bad ass breakfast burritos ever.  Those are the ones that would fill you up for an entire day and that was back when I was a real fat ass.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

One of the best breakfasts I ever had was a green chile breakfast burrito at Tortilla Flats in Santa Fe, NM.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HouTex said:

Especially Captain Crunch or Quisp.

I remember Cap'n Crunch could really do a number on your gums with those serrated edges. 

I stopped buying Cracklin' Oat Bran some years back when they started using some treatment to keep it crunchy longer. It worked. There was a sheen on those little O's like they were coated in a lacquer. They were better when they got soft and crumbly. I can't eat them anymore. 

On 8/13/2020 at 6:59 AM, Tom said:

Minor point but millennials were born in 1980 and are now as old as 40.  Quit thinking everyone under 25 is a millennial.  Most millennials had McDonald's French fries prior to 1992.

The term "millenials" is used for anyone younger than them and does not know the "good ol days". Just old people yelling at the clouds.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 8/13/2020 at 1:59 PM, Tom said:

This is a poor definitition of millennial.  This group is most closely associated with digital natives, kids who grew up with smartphones, etc. 

I'm under 40, and I can basically beatbox the dial-up modem sound.  We had to wait for fucking VCR rewinders.  Our portable music players (Sony Discman) skipped if you bumped it too hard.  Millenials cant relate to any of that.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, 52-80 said:

This is a poor definitition of millennial.  This group is most closely associated with digital natives, kids who grew up with smartphones, etc. 

I'm under 40, and I can basically beatbox the dial-up modem sound.  We had to wait for fucking VCR rewinders.  Our portable music players (Sony Discman) skipped if you bumped it too hard.  Millenials cant relate to any of that.

The people often described as millenials can't relate to that, but pretty much anyone born before 1990 can, and that's a decade worth of "millenials".

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

You are a millenial. 

9 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

You used to be bumping dicks man?  

Sorry, misread.  Bumping Discmans.  Yeah, I used to hate that.  Anti-Skip/Anti-Shock was just nothing but a long con by Big Batteries to rob us blind.  

#teamlateryearsGenX

59 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm technically a millenial, but I clearly remember a world where cell phones basically didn't exist, the internet didn't exist, etc.

Same. I did not get a cellphone until I was in my second semester in college. Did not get the internet until right before I became a sophomore in high school. And used dial up all the way until late 2006. Millienials span about 15 years. The older ones are close to 40 now.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You used to be bumping dicks man?  

Sorry, misread.  Bumping Discmans.  Yeah, I used to hate that.  Anti-Skip/Anti-Shock was just nothing but a long con by Big Batteries to rob us blind.  

#teamlateryearsGenX

Mine never seemed to work anyhow.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Same. I did not get a cellphone until I was in my second semester in college. Did not get the internet until right before I became a sophomore in high school. And used dial up all the way until late 2006. Millienials span about 15 years. The older ones are close to 40 now.

We got the internet at home in 2000, but it was dial up.  I didn't experience broadband/high speed until I got on campus at ISU (2003).  I got a cell phone when I started driving (2001), but I was routinely running 60+ miles for farm parts and shit like that.

I was born in '85 and graduated high school in '03.

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

I was born in 1981 and graduated high school in 2000. I don't consider myself a millennial.

2 hours ago, lateshow said:

I was born in 1981 and graduated high school in 2000. I don't consider myself a millennial.

The rest of society does.  We're about a year apart, and I'm a millennial.  I've been told I'm a millennial since I was a young kid.  I'm not sure who decides these arbitrary guidelines, but the term was defined as people who were turning 18 and graduating high school after the new millennium.  As others have said above, we all had VCRs and experienced life growing up without internet and cell phones.  

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

The rest of society does.  We're about a year apart, and I'm a millennial.  I've been told I'm a millennial since I was a young kid.  I'm not sure who decides these arbitrary guidelines, but the term was defined as people who were turning 18 and graduating high school after the new millennium.  As others have said above, we all had VCRs and experienced life growing up without internet and cell phones.  

A theory I've always had (and no idea if this applies to the other early millenials in this thread) is that growing up in a small town in the pre-internet era, and being baby sat by family members that were clearly late Gen X, getting their hand-me-down toys, and watching their movies and cartoons gave my youth a decided Gen X flavor, despite being a millenial.  I played with HeMan and Star Wars toys more than I ever did Power Rangers, for example.  We had 4 channels on TV: CBS, ABC, NBC, and the local public television.  Sometimes we had 5 channels if we could draw the Minnesota Public TV in off the rabbit ears.  It created an isolation that lead to slow change and a lot of generational blurring.  

I think a lot of elder millenials had a similar experience, and it drives the "I'm a millenial on paper but don't identify with it" mindset.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Tom said:

Yep.

One son was born in 93.  at the tail end of Millenial years ending around 96, according to Wiki.

Younger son born in 98. , at the beginning of Gen Z.

They are physically in the same generation, but these arbitrary descriptors say they are separate  There's definitely some melding and crossover, depending upon the environment in which someone grew up.

23 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I'm under 40,

No. You're thinking of Gen Z. People think millennials are younger than they are. You are a millenial if you're under 40 but older than 23/24. I was talking to my mom about this - "millenial" has become a pejorative for anyone in a younger generation basically.

I'm on the tail end of being a millenial - born in 95. Smart phones weren't a thing until I was in 7th grade. I owned VHS tapes. I went to blockbuster as a kid. I remember quite clearly the end of MySpace and the beginning of Facebook. I remember getting pulled out of school when 911 happened.