Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

On 9/26/2020 at 8:22 PM, formermav43 said:

Regardless of their political opinion, anyone using terms like “the Republic,” “the grand experiment,” or similar grandiloquent expressions takes themselves way too seriously for me to take them seriously.

And over the past week, "lid." Nobody is impressed by the massive group-adoption of an inside baseball term of art, and using it liberally does not somehow mean that you are now perceived as a capable pundit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Lid as in hat/cap?

Congratulations - you've done a successful job at avoiding the right wing dipshit echo chamber thus far. 

Out of courtesy and respect for your accomplishments to this point, I won't bother to explain it except to say that this isn't anything worth caring about, and this response is already taking up more of your time and attention than it should. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Lid as in hat/cap?

9 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I have no clue. Toilet lid? These kids and their slang. 

A “lid is what White House press secretaries use to indicate that there will be no news coming out of the White House that day. A presidential campaign can also call a lid when their candidate does not plan any more public events or appearances for the rest of the day.

Conservative right wingers are pouncing on the Biden campaign calling "lids" (aka, no public events) as some grand conspiracy.  In reality, calling a lid the 3-5 days pre-debate is not something scandalous.  It's called prep. 

Edited by Js1

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Conservative right wingers are pouncing on the Biden campaign calling "lids" (aka, no public events) as some grand conspiracy.  In reality, calling a lid the 3-5 days pre-debate is not something scandalous.  It's called prep. 

maxresdefault.jpg

15 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

And over the past week, "lid." Nobody is impressed by the massive group-adoption of an inside baseball term of art, and using it liberally does not somehow mean that you are now perceived as a capable pundit. 

I promise that I only thought of this old Cheech and Chong bit every time this word bubbled to the top of my news feed.

Edited by NWBuck
(second weed related aside here in the past 3 minutes. proud moment)
  • Hook 'Em 1

Olympic swimming is stupid.  Why have 4 different ways of doing the same thing?  It should be whoever does that distance the fastest, by whichever stroke you can do fastest.  We don't have the backwards running 100m, the skipping on one leg 100m.  Why do we have the stupid ass backstroke?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, gurt said:

It should be whoever does that distance the fastest, by whichever stroke you can do fastest.

Well, first of all, we do have that. It's called freestyle. 

5 hours ago, gurt said:

We don't have the backwards running 100m, the skipping on one leg 100m.  Why do we have the stupid ass backstroke?  

I mean we have things like hurdling and the triple jump and long jump. 

But I actually don't know why swimming is broken out into strokes. It's an interesting question. It certainly has helped our all time medal count.

On 10/3/2020 at 12:09 AM, ztejas said:

Well, first of all, we do have that. It's called freestyle. 

I mean we have things like hurdling and the triple jump and long jump. 

But I actually don't know why swimming is broken out into strokes. It's an interesting question. It certainly has helped our all time medal count.

Long jump makes perfect sense as an athletic competition. Who can jump the furthest. Triple jump is pretty stupid however, as is pole vaulting.

On 10/2/2020 at 6:33 PM, gurt said:

Olympic swimming is stupid.  Why have 4 different ways of doing the same thing?  It should be whoever does that distance the fastest, by whichever stroke you can do fastest.  We don't have the backwards running 100m, the skipping on one leg 100m.  Why do we have the stupid ass backstroke?  

On 10/2/2020 at 11:15 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

We should

Hell yeah, I'd do pretty good on the one leg 100m

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Despite their undeniable talent, Van Halen is a lame, wimpy hair metal band.

s reactions genius GIF

I pos repped you to offset someone’s neg only because this is the unpopular opinion thread and yours is dead on appropriate for that... Annnnnd... you have zero taste in music and no awareness of 70’s music if you think that pic you posted looks any more wimpy than every single other rock band from the same era.  VH kicked ass through 3 decades.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I pos repped you to offset someone’s neg only because this is the unpopular opinion thread and yours is dead on appropriate for that... Annnnnd... you have zero taste in music and no awareness of 70’s music if you think that pic you posted looks any more wimpy than every single other rock band from the same era.  VH kicked ass through 3 decades.  

I mean, sure, Daltrey and Plant and the other guys looked like that too. 

For me, and again, I acknowledge the raw musical talent, there's just nothing much there for Van Halen. The lyrics are shallow and bubblegummy. I know high-pitched and falsetto was sort of the thing back then, but I also just can't stand DLR's voice. It's shrill and annoying. In general their music has no heart or soul. It's pop music thinly disguised as rock and roll. 

And yeah, there's a reason it's in the unpopular opinions thread. I wasn't expecting a parade.