Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

10 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

So just to be clear, the dude wipes packaging says it’s Certified flushable by the INDA GD4 international flushability standard. I can flush these, right? Or was I just fucking up my apartments plumbing for years with these wipes?

Yep, quoting it again.  I got my lazy ass in gear and Googled INDA GD4.  What I found is that the EU has set up standards for flushability and dispersal in wastewater systems to define which wipes are safe in wastewater systems and which are not.  Under these standards, your wipes will break up and disperse in a satisfactory manner, and should not cause problems.  So, thank you.  I learned something, and will eat my crow.

• Like 1

Music snobs are almost as annoying.  But our saving grace is that there’s no non-insane way to introduce it into the first 30 seconds of meeting someone.  A vegan, a cross-fit trainer, and someone who lives/lived in New York.  They will work that in within one minute of meeting you.  Never fails.  A music snob has to at least wait a few minutes or until a shitty song comes on.  

Living in New York would make for a cooler story of there weren’t 8 million other people living there and 35 million former residents.  

10 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Not me; I'm an office puke now.  A couple of the operators used rakes to reach down into the channel and lift it out.  We only get in a channel or tank when there is no other course of action. 

Username checks out.  I had wondered  . . . .

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

The packaging says flushable, but it just means that it will go down your toilet, not that they will break up and pass through the system safely like toilet paper will.  Most wipes are unwoven plastic or less refined wood fiber.  When they mix with other wipes, hair, mop strings, grease, and other items that don't break up easily, they form large balls of debris that clog pipes, pumps, and other equipment.  We just had to manually remove a 75 pound ball of wipes and grease from a screen at one of my plants.  We have also had to spend tens of thousands of dollars to replace pumps that worked well for years, but clog up with the "flushable" wipes.  We had to replace them with chopper pumps designed to cut them up and pass them through.  The problem with that is that now much of the chopped wipes pass through the screens and accumulates in our aeration basin.  They are a great evil to wastewater personnel.  I would ban them, if I could.

You're Ralph Cramdens friend Norton, aren't you?

• Hook 'Em 1

“Flushable” wipes are peak capitalism. Every public works department tells their residents not to flush them but they still are labeled as flushable. Meanwhile, taxpayers bear the cost of the problem. It’s almost as if the Georgia-Pacific’s bottom line has some weird power that allows them to keep calling them “flushable.”.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

“Flushable” wipes are peak capitalism. Every public works department tells their residents not to flush them but they still are labeled as flushable. Meanwhile, taxpayers bear the cost of the problem. It’s almost as if the Georgia-Pacific’s bottom line has some weird power that allows them to keep calling them “flushable.”.

Well, they are flushable. 

• Haha 1

Olympic swimming is stupid.  Why have 4 different ways of doing the same thing?  It should be whoever does that distance the fastest, by whichever stroke you can do fastest.  We don't have the backwards running 100m, the skipping on one leg 100m.  Why do we have the stupid ass backstroke?  

We have long distance speed walking as an Olympic sport, possibly worse than the one legged 100m dash

10 hours ago, 'stache said:

Wait until you hear about "Organic food".

10 hours ago, 'stache said:

My wife tried flushing one this winter.

It wasn't pretty.

On 10/9/2020 at 4:58 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

I don't give a fuck how you clean your ass, but don't flush those motherfucking wipes down the toilet.  They clog pipes and cause hell with pumps.  Anyone who flushes anything other than piss, shit, puke, or toilet paper is an okie level moron or tick turd.

Some years back, my septic system failed. I tried snaking, but didn't work. The snake pulled a shitload of mardi gras beads out of the outflow pipes that lead to the leech (leach?) field . Apparently the wife was letting the 2 yr old play with them during bath time.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Some years back, my septic system failed. I tried snaking, but didn't work. The snake pulled a shitload of mardi gras beads out of the outflow pipes that lead to the leech (leach?) field . Apparently the wife was letting the 2 yr old play with them during bath time.

We don’t judge what you do with your beads and how they end up in an orifice that discharges into your septic system. You can stop blaming it on your kids. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 10/13/2020 at 11:25 AM, Scheiss Meister said:

Not me; I'm an office puke now.  A couple of the operators used rakes to reach down into the channel and lift it out.  We only get in a channel or tank when there is no other course of action. 

As long as one of the other courses of action is “fuck this, I quit” I’d imagine the scenarios where I’m in a tank are pretty rare.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/13/2020 at 5:10 PM, SHOOTER12 said:

You're Ralph Cramdens friend Norton, aren't you?

Almost everything is "flushable" and if you have kids you know this.

However I have been using these wet wipes for over 20 years and have never had a plumbing issue. If it doesn't jack up my plumbing I don't give a shit...literally.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, VolenteHawk said:

As long as one of the other courses of action is “fuck this, I quit” I’d imagine the scenarios where I’m in a tank are pretty rare.

We only enter a tank when we absolutely must to perform maintenance on the tank or the equipment in it.  Before we enter, the tank is drained, washed down, ventilated, and constantly checked for hazardous gasses.  They are dangerous places, and we take entering them very, very seriously.  The required maintenance is why our jobs exist.  We don't like getting in them, but it is part and parcel of the whole wastewater operator gig.

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Almost everything is "flushable" and if you have kids you know this.

However I have been using these wet wipes for over 20 years and have never had a plumbing issue. If it doesn't jack up my plumbing I don't give a shit...literally.

Maybe.  But you still pay for the increased cost of maintaining the system. 

On 10/13/2020 at 11:23 AM, Lobo said:

Music snobs are almost as annoying.  But our saving grace is that there’s no non-insane way to introduce it into the first 30 seconds of meeting someone.  A vegan, a cross-fit trainer, and someone who lives/lived in New York.  They will work that in within one minute of meeting you.  Never fails.  A music snob has to at least wait a few minutes or until a shitty song comes on.  

Living in New York would make for a cooler story of there weren’t 8 million other people living there and 35 million former residents.  

Dude, I lived in New York for 9 years and I know what you mean about vegans and cross-fit trainers.

😁

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Little League World Series and the airing of it and grown men discussing it. Always seemed weird as fuck to me. I am not talking men who have kids in their leagues and discussing between their friends about their kids. But grown men watching random little kids on tv playing baseball.

I feel the same way about high school football. I get that there are a handful of guys who will play for college and a select few who your alma mater might be recruiting, but even that seems weird to me for people to care about, and the other dozens of players are just kids playing a game. I haven't watched a high school game since I was in high school.

Edited by 'stache

23 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I feel the same way about high school football. I get that there are a handful of guys who will play for college and a select few who your alma mater might be recruiting, but even that seems weird to me for people to care about, and the other dozens of players are just kids playing a game. I haven't watched a high school game since I was in high school.

I totally get that. I am not into high school football nearly as much. I really only keep up with the playoffs these days. Now days, I have friends who coach for teams and even have kids that are now playing so that is cool to see. But I even have those thoughts at times when watching like "why am I watching these high school kids"

But with being a big college football fan, all the big players for these teams will go on to play in college. In little league, they are years away from even being in high school.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Little League World Series and the airing of it and grown men discussing it. Always seemed weird as fuck to me. I am not talking men who have kids in their leagues and discussing between their friends about their kids. But grown men watching random little kids on tv playing baseball.

They can't be pedos because all of those 12 year old kids have mustaches

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

You suck, and obviously never played LL, or had your father for a coach.  Watching brings back cherished memories of the time I got to spend with my father, RIP.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, SHOOTER12 said:

You suck, and obviously never played LL, or had your father for a coach.  Watching brings back cherished memories of the time I got to spend with my father, RIP.

For one, they play on fields that are designed for 8 year olds lmao. Shit is lame.

Second, why not go all out and air pee wee football, basketball, soccer and etc.

I have memories of playing pee wee sports. Everyone does. Doesn't mean it needs to be aired and have grown men watch and discuss it. Shit is weird.

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

For one, they play on fields that are designed for 8 year olds lmao. Shit is lame.

Second, why not go all out and air pee wee football, basketball, soccer and etc.

I have memories of playing pee wee sports. Everyone does. Doesn't mean it needs to be aired and have grown men watch and discuss it. Shit is weird.

I’m sorry you sucked at baseball growing up but it’s time to move on

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Didn't mean to be offensive, but damn, it's an American tradition that has gone on forever.  I remember dreaming of getting to play in it, ah the memories..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Didn't mean to be offensive, but damn, it's an American tradition that has gone on forever.  I remember dreaming of getting to play in it, ah the memories..

Amen. Brings back the memories of playing, when my now 87-yo, Alzheimer’s-suffering dad coached me, and the more recent ones when I coached my now-adult son for years. The joy of boys playing a game. The international, multicultural aspect, of boys of all languages and colors of skin sharing the experiences of celebrating the wins and experiencing the crushing losses. There isn’t much else in the world that is so pure, so wonderful.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I helped coach my oldest son's team one year.  Fuck that shit.  All LL parents suck.

Pretty much the truth.  I remember my last year in LL (12yo), my dad was the coach.  Of course after the last game of the year there was a ceremony to announce the all star team.  Our catcher, who was also 12, and a damned good player didn't make the team.  His father blamed my dad for his son not making it and threatened to kill my dad when he came off the field (and yes he was packing).  Turns out an older coach of another team had been the one who kept our catcher off the team as payback to his father because his son didn't make the all star team 10-12 years earlier.  Stupid ass stuff.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

David Letterman is annoying.  He laughs at his own non-jokes.  He's not funny.  His TV show sidekick seems like a weirdo. 

He was funny when I was in college in the late 80s. He is not funny now. He is a bitter, tired, annoying old man. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Yeah, move on and watch children play baseball so you can live vicariously through them like a man!

Says the man posting on a board mostly related to 18-22 year old young men playing football at a level never played by the poster. 

• 2 weeks later...