Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

I don't get the hate for Joe Buck.  I don't watch any NFL, but when I watch MLB playoffs (in normal years), he's been fine.  I don't look forward to him, but I think he's serviceable.  He at least knows the game.  I think a lot of times broadcasters that never played pro baseball, who are calling alongside an ex-ballplayer, tend to overcompensate.  And I think Joe's been guilty of that at times.  But he knows, loves, and respects the game.  But you couldn't pay me to listen to him call an NFL game or PGA match.  

All that said, I don't know why but I pictured him being shorter.  One time I saw him IRL, he was my exact height---maybe a hair taller.  I did not see that coming.  Plus he was funny as hell on "Brockmire" so he gets a pass in my book.  Whatever you fantasy football league dorks have against him on Sundays, get over it.  

On 10/26/2020 at 9:33 AM, nnm said:

He was funny when I was in college in the late 80s. He is not funny now. He is a bitter, tired, annoying old man. 

Letterman has a very dry sense of humor. I can appreciate it now but when I was younger it just didn't do anything for me. I was a Conan O'Brien guy in college. Somewhere in my house I still have the autographed card him and his producers sent me after winning a contest. It was on Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien stationary too!

On 11/21/2020 at 2:35 PM, NorthLoop said:

Jimmy Fallon killed SNL. It hasn't recovered. 

His “cork soakers” SNL skit is pretty funny. I have worked with a bunch of Italians, and it ruined me for having a serious conversation with them. 

• 3 weeks later...

Between Surly and AR15.com I was convinced that my lifelong go-to mayo Hellmans had been surpassed by Dukes.  I tried it on a few sandwiches the last month and was kinda suspect about it.  Then I made a batch of deviled eggs tonight with it and its fuckin garbage.  Hellman’s dominates this fucking trendy millennial bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Beer Drinker said:

Between Surly and AR15.com I was convinced that my lifelong go-to mayo Hellmans had been surpassed by Dukes.  I tried it on a few sandwiches the last month and was kinda suspect about it.  Then I made a batch of deviled eggs tonight with it and its fuckin garbage.  Hellman’s dominates this fucking trendy millennial bullshit.

I agree that Hellman's is better but Duke's is over 100 years old. 

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

I honestly can't tell the difference between Hellmans, Kraft, Dukes, or HEB. It's all mayo to me. And I like mayo. Same with ketchup (exception being Whataburger ketchup). 

As in, Whataburger has the best ketchup? At least, that's what I hope you mean.

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

I honestly can't tell the difference between Hellmans, Kraft, Dukes, or HEB. It's all mayo to me. And I like mayo. Same with ketchup (exception being Whataburger ketchup). 

What does your husband think of your lack of taste?  

I think Letterman's funny but he's a shitty interviewer.  He has great guests on his Netflix interview series but it's sometimes hard to watch.  He is constantly cutting people off and loves to steer the interview towards himself in self effacing ways.   I like self effacing people but his demeanor comes across as forced.  

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I think Letterman's funny but he's a shitty interviewer.  He has great guests on his Netflix interview series but it's sometimes hard to watch.  He is constantly cutting people off and loves to steer the interview towards himself in self effacing ways.   I like self effacing people but his demeanor comes across as forced.  

Letterman's "daytime" show in the 80's was groundbreaking. His interviews were great because he was extremely self effacing, because he was a nobody. Once he became popular, it wasn't genuine anymore. He went from self effacing to smug. And his beard makes him look like he should be living in San Simeon.

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

In all the years that this video has been on the internet, my 2 questions have always been

1. Why are they doing this under a bridge?

2. Why are they having a rave in the middle of the day?

Is each of them assigned a particular dance move or is it genuine that each of them has their own thing?

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

In all the years that this video has been on the internet, my 2 questions have always been

1. Why are they doing this under a bridge?

it looks eerily similar to near my old workplace, where the bridge is overpassing a narrow island used recreationally... biking, skating, jogging, exercising, nude bathing.... and technoraving.

Go to any Asian grocery store and get this Mayo. It’s by far the best bottled Mayo out there. I never liked mayo at all until I bought this.

7124e62847c12d3954a501b5413ed491.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I’m a die hard cowboys fan, and I think romo’s career has been underrated considering the incompetence he had to deal with. It’s frustrating hearing other fans talk about his career. With that being said, he’s overrated as an announcer. He just is. It was cool at the beginning when he was predicting plays and shit like that, but I cringe at certain things he says more than almost any other announcer. Maybe I’m being overly critical as a cowboys fan. Maybe this isn’t an unpopular opinion anymore. He always does the game of the week, so obviously I’m always watching his game. I’ll give him that. But man. Relax a little bit Tony. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

12 hours ago, Rockwell Torrey said:

This right here.  Japanese mayo is the best in the world.

Is it really?  Or are you only saying that because you have a Japanese flag in your avatar?  

The only Asian supermarkets I know of around me are Vietnamese or Korean.  Where do Japanese people shop in the Dallas area?

6 minutes ago, nnm said:

Why would I google something and get instantaneous results when I could ask Rockwell Torrey here who has the inside scoop and possibly get his opinion (if he chooses to respond) minutes or hours or possibly days or even months from now?  

Stop being silly.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...