Why do we keep fucking this up?

GhostOfTomJoad

3 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I remember LSU fans disappointment at having to basically settle for coach O. At the time, everyone else in the big 12 feared that Texas was gonna curb stomp Baylor, TCU, etc. for the foreseeable future and that LSU was gonna settle into a decade of irrelevancy.

In an alternative reality, Texas would have money whipped Briles the day after 2013's 30-10 loss in Waco instead of hiring Strong, ESPN wouldn't have shined the flashlight on his bad character recruiting, and yall would have a string of playoff/championships. Cause that dude can flat out coach offense, morals be damned.

I always wonder about that last scenario.

The art situation was interesting. There was smoke that he was the guy.  Thank god that didn’t happen.  According to some bill powers wanted to make history and strong was gonna be that guy

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

We’re stuck in a vicious cycle. Hire new coach. He hires safe choices for his staff. Things go bad at first then improve. Then we regress to the mean. If Sam didn’t exist, I think we’d be staring at going to the next head coach right now. Sam has been the key to Herman’s success. His defenses certainly haven’t. Combine that with Baylor(until this year), Tech, and oSu all going backwards in the time Herman has been here.

Exactly. Imagine what this team's record would be if Swoopes was the starter (Lord bless him tho).

3 hours ago, Bigjohns97 said:

Came to post this, open to hearing other theories but this is the one thing that changed that would explain these odd results.

I agree, but I can't really decide why it is that LHN = Underperforming Marquee Sports, but it sure seems like that is the equation. Same thing goes for the NFL in Houston. As long as the Oilers and Texans have played second fiddle to the Rodeo in the Astrodome and Reliant, neither has gone to the Super Bowl. Is correlation causation? I believe so but I can't articulate why.

15 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I agree, but I can't really decide why it is that LHN = Underperforming Marquee Sports, but it sure seems like that is the equation. Same thing goes for the NFL in Houston. As long as the Oilers and Texans have played second fiddle to the Rodeo in the Astrodome and Reliant, neither has gone to the Super Bowl. Is correlation causation? I believe so but I can't articulate why.

More revenue from Disney via LHN has created lazy and incompetent leadership at UT Austin.

22 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

We've done it every way known to man and still fucked it up.  Akers, McWilliams, Mackovic, Strong, Herman.  Akers may not belong on that list, but for 84-86.

Akers doesn't belong on the list with these other guys.  he was pretty damn good until the game and recruiting passed him by like mack.  

• Like 2

as to the answer of why?

we aren't committed.  we never have a plan.  we are totally reactionary.  we hire someone we think can do the job and not embarrass us and hope for the best.

We got Darrell who didn't want to play the new recruiting games against that fuckhead switzer.  Darrell wanted Campbell to get the gig, Akers didn't fuck it up for a while so we thought we were good.

then Akers face planted and Darrell's boys said "see get a Darrell guy". McWilliams was the only real option at that time for Darrell guys.  I'm sure he had the seal of approval from Darrell but we completely rolled the dice(again) and the spiral began.  we were going to hire Barnett until Darrell and some of his players stepped in and told Deloss, no we are hiring Brown.

If Brown had acted like Darrell knowing he was done(he had righted the ship enough to go out reasonably well) we might have been able to work a transition but he didn't and then the idiot Patterson showed up.

I'm sure Herman had the Brown seal of approval but Brown is no Royal.  we will wait, like we always do, until it is too late with Herman and then go reactionary again.  Its what we do...unless CDC is the AD I hope he is.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NowThis said:

next year will be much better with full health, maturity and some new blood.  Plus Hurts/Burrow are gone.  Herman will finish his contract through 2021, then we'll see.

His contract was extended to 2023.

That was stupid.

I doubt CDC is that stupid.  He was told to do that by some chucklefuck alumni.

We should implement an institutional rule that contracts do not get extended until the final year of the current one.  

The bold indicates the real problem.  See post 163.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Akers doesn't belong on the list with these other guys.  he was pretty damn good until the game and recruiting passed him by like mack.  

It was pointed out to me that Akers won two conference championships in his ten seasons.  He had 83 and we were pretty competitive until after that, but 2 in 10 in the SWC is no bueno.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 hours ago, XYZ said:

We made that LHN deal and the football gods have been frowning upon us ever since.

Soo find a way to back out of that contract and we’re good again, right? It really does seem like we made a deal with the devil to get that done. Seriously though, other than a few trips to Omaha, none of our major sports have won shit. It’s depressing. 

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It was pointed out to me that Akers won two conference championships in his ten seasons.  He had 83 and we were pretty competitive until after that, but 2 in 10 in the SWC is no bueno.

he had us in the top 10-15 mix for about 7 years.  and he was there when the aggy and smu were fedexing and outright paying players large cash, which was the main reason Royal said adios(do you know how old royal was when he retired?).  I don't hold it against him.  

the freedom bowl did him in.  the game had passed him by but the guy was a solid coach for about 7 years.

the other 3 guys had 2 very good years between them and one guy went 4-7 with Ricky fucking Williams in his backfield.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

as to the answer of why?

we aren't committed.  we never have a plan.  we are totally reactionary.  we hire someone we think can do the job and not embarrass us and hope for the best.

We got Darrell who didn't want to play the new recruiting games against that fuckhead switzer.  Darrell wanted Campbell to get the gig, Akers didn't fuck it up for a while so we thought we were good.

then Akers face planted and Darrell's boys said "see get a Darrell guy". McWilliams was the only real option at that time for Darrell guys.  I'm sure he had the seal of approval from Darrell but we completely rolled the dice(again) and the spiral began.  we were going to hire Barnett until Darrell and some of his players stepped in and told Deloss, no we are hiring Brown.

If Brown had acted like Darrell knowing he was done(he had righted the ship enough to go out reasonably well) we might have been able to work a transition but he didn't and then the idiot Patterson showed up.

I'm sure Herman had the Brown seal of approval but Brown is no Royal.  we will wait, like we always do, until it is too late with Herman and then go reactionary again.  Its what we do...unless CDC is the AD I hope he is.

Wow! This guy with the winner, but I do want to add that there is a common thread among most of the coaches we hired.  They have a strong streak of hard-headedness, to the extreme.  Fred lucked into his decision to put Earl in the I, and went 11-1 the first year.  That decision went to his head, because from then on Fred thought he knew enough to run the offense.  Fred did not tolerate the idea of having an OC take control of the offense.  Fred was a defensive guy, so much that he put the best athletes on defense, to the detriment of the offense.   Another example of arrogance, the famous QB draw call against, Alabama, January 1, 1982.  There was an argument about who took credit for the call.  Fred took the credit.  We were #2 in the final poll because Robert Brewer went to the line on 4th down and called timeout.  Sideline conversation ensued and the call came from nowhere.  Not one Texas fan had seen anything like that call-probably ever.  Best call since Street to Peschel.  So, by the time we got to January 1, 1984 Fred had the best defense in college football in probably 5 years, but didn't have a RB who could hit the hole and didn't have a QB consistent enough to rely on.  Fred essentially flipped the coin and decided on Rick McIvor because of one game, the 45-13  beatdown of aggy, and we lost 10-9.  If Moerschell had been the QB, we would have easily scored three TDs, because Moerschell was a running threat as a well as a decent passer.  The punt return fumble should have never mattered.  

At the exact time Fred was flaming out, in 1986, the ags came to town with signs on their cars, "keep Fred". -and of course aggy was cheating fEd ex style.  

Mackovic- hard-headed- just like Herman -only coach offense-just like Herman.  

Mack Brown did the unthinkable-he decided to coach less.  "Let Vince be Vince" was more powerful than any detailed coaching advice ever.  It didn't matter that we had 30 future NFL prospects . We needed a once in a lifetime QB with the confidence that his coach had his back.  

Hire a coach who has a little less arrogance that it is his way or the highway, and maybe we can get an improvement. 

11 hours ago, tonedeaf said:

Herman is a condescending, narcissistic prick.   : Noted . I don’t care what kind of prick, just win. Be a winning dude, prick or no,  or GTFO. Don’t care if coach is a nice guy. A loser , $6mil +/yr guy who is nice is dead to me. Sorry

Right now I would look at Aranda, Venables maybe.: check,  yes.

But whoever said this is Makovick II (sp) is correct: seems so, yes

I want somebody fundamentally sound.: seems like winning coaches have this ability.

Just think what we could do with talent AND coaching.: Why is this so hard to find with the $$$$$$$ to boot?

I know that Texas would never stoop to the level of hiring a coordinator.  Doesn’t seem like G5 or tier P5 has gone well recently so WTF!

See edits above and bolded comments.

Saying we would have easily scored 3 TDs vs Georgia if Moerschel had been the QB is silly. No one knows what would have happened. Just as ridiculous a comment as Mack saying he "knows" we would have beaten Alabama if Colt hadn't been hurt. Makes him look like an even bigger whiner than he already is. Yeah, do the math.

49 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

he had us in the top 10-15 mix for about 7 years.  and he was there when the aggy and smu were fedexing and outright paying players large cash, which was the main reason Royal said adios(do you know how old royal was when he retired?).  I don't hold it against him.  

the freedom bowl did him in.  the game had passed him by but the guy was a solid coach for about 7 years.

the other 3 guys had 2 very good years between them and one guy went 4-7 with Ricky fucking Williams in his backfield.  

That is correct.  We were never Charlie or John Mack bad during that time span.  

Because it is not true. LHN isn’t that much of a distraction to football. It does need to get some additional content.

The team has issues because the talent isn’t there and we are fucking up in the trenches.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

as to the answer of why?

Damn son, that was some real truth right there, the rest of this forum needs to seek it, and be set free.

oh, and your a troll, Texflag, and drink haterade and all that jazz

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I was reminded that Johnny Mack won the conference three of his six years.  

were you reminded that one was when aggy was on probation and we were 4 and 3 and tied with 16 other teams in the conf including Rice, 1995 great his one very good year, 1996 I will be grateful for roll left and beating the huskers but we were 8-5.

were you reminded he went 4-7 with Ricky Williams and hired Bobby Jack Wright to be his DC.  He was better than mcWilliams but not even close to Akers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I was reminded that Johnny Mack won the conference three of his six years.  

He won the SWC titles in 94 and 95.   The 94 season was circular firing squad where aggy was 6-0 but was ineligible to accept their conference tittle or a bowl bid.  We had a 4-3 record  and tied Baylor, TCU, Rice and Tech for the conference title.   1995 was the only digit win season during his tenure but they got embarrassed by Virginia Tech  in the Sugar.  1996 looks good on paper, but we lost to three ranked teams during the balance of the schedule and got beat by Joe Pa in the Fiesta.  The it was straight down hill from there. 

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

were you reminded that one was when aggy was on probation and we were 4 and 3 and tied with 16 other teams in the conf including Rice, 1995 great his one very good year, 1996 I will be grateful for roll left and beating the huskers but we were 8-5.

were you reminded he went 4-7 with Ricky Williams and hired Bobby Jack Wright to be his DC.  He was better than mcWilliams but not even close to Akers.

Oh I know.  Flukey as hell.  Akers was ignorant of/indifferent to offense, Mackovic of defense.  

11 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

So history is repeating itself. Unfortunately that means winner that can't beat rival is next choice. I will take the NC but 2 conference crowns in 16 years sucked.

McWilliams = Strong (Liked but over their heads)

Mackovic = Herman (Arrogant and fan base must accept my genious. No defense ever.)

Brown = ??

Let's go get Harbaugh he fits the bill.

Go full fucking Groundhog Day and hire that coach from UNC who is doing ok and recruiting at a brisk clip.   Have him bring a recruiting ace with him.  

I hate this.  

14 hours ago, Helobious said:

Sam (a Strong recruit) is the only reason Herman still has a job. He’s lost us a bunch of games but damn if he’s not the biggest factor in most of our wins too.

Chuckles didn’t recruit Sam. He offered a player who would have gone to Texas no matter who was coaching. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Not to mention rampant cheating in the SWC. I shared a deer lease with a guy who started for SMU just prior to the Death Penalty.  He hated UT, but get a few drinks in him and he’d admit that SMU players bragged about the offers they received from the usual suspects (aggy, OU, UH, OSU), but they always laughed about Akers telling them that it was an honor to play at Texas. We all know that $100 handshakes (okay, $50...it was the 80s), free drinks, and shit happened after players got to Austin, but Texas was not known to pay recruits. 

Wow! This guy with the winner, but I do want to add that there is a common thread among most of the coaches we hired.  They have a strong streak of hard-headedness, to the extreme.  Fred lucked into his decision to put Earl in the I, and went 11-1 the first year.  That decision went to his head, because from then on Fred thought he knew enough to run the offense.  Fred did not tolerate the idea of having an OC take control of the offense.  Fred was a defensive guy, so much that he put the best athletes on defense, to the detriment of the offense.   Another example of arrogance, the famous QB draw call against, Alabama, January 1, 1982.  There was an argument about who took credit for the call.  Fred took the credit.  We were #2 in the final poll because Robert Brewer went to the line on 4th down and called timeout.  Sideline conversation ensued and the call came from nowhere.  Not one Texas fan had seen anything like that call-probably ever.  Best call since Street to Peschel.  So, by the time we got to January 1, 1984 Fred had the best defense in college football in probably 5 years, but didn't have a RB who could hit the hole and didn't have a QB consistent enough to rely on.  Fred essentially flipped the coin and decided on Rick McIvor because of one game, the 45-13  beatdown of aggy, and we lost 10-9.  If Moerschell had been the QB, we would have easily scored three TDs, because Moerschell was a running threat as a well as a decent passer.  The punt return fumble should have never mattered.  
At the exact time Fred was flaming out, in 1986, the ags came to town with signs on their cars, "keep Fred". -and of course aggy was cheating fEd ex style.  
Mackovic- hard-headed- just like Herman -only coach offense-just like Herman.  
 Mack Brown did the unthinkable-he decided to coach less.  "Let Vince be Vince" was more powerful than any detailed coaching advice ever.  It didn't matter that we had 30 future NFL prospects . We needed a once in a lifetime QB with the confidence that his coach had his back.  

Hire a coach who has a little less arrogance that it is his way or the highway, and maybe we can get an improvement. 

Exactly! Someone like Nick Saban, who’s undoubtedly a wet noodle.

9 hours ago, William_Cannon said:

Lost almost all defensive starters
Mash unit at secondary
2nd string QB is 2nd string RB
Lack of depth in multiple groups

You guys are delusional, if you don’t think this is par for the course. Rome wasn’t built in one day, but it burned in one.

See, I could get behind this if we DIDNT HAVE THE WORSE DEFENSE IN SCHOOL HISTORY.   That is a bigger issue then just a few young players 

57 minutes ago, Xian said:

See, I could get behind this if we DIDNT HAVE THE WORSE DEFENSE IN SCHOOL HISTORY.   That is a bigger issue then just a few young players 

More excuses for The Herminator.  Nothing our fan base won't outright accept as reasons for our suckage.  It's always something, never the coaches (except Charlie). 

17 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Because we ask our million+ dollar coaches and best players to waste time doing TV shows every week with twats like gallindo that 17 people will actually watch? Just guessing.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 7:11 PM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Money? We've got it all

Facilities? Yep

Recruiting grounds?  See above

Why in the hell are we looking like the Minnesota fucking Gophers?

Ok I just want to address this because in my opinion our advantages really are not all that significant.

Yes we have money. But these days even Iowa State has significant money, at least enough that our larger amount of money is not that big of a deal from a competitive point of view.

The same applies to facilities. Every single P5 program has facilities that are fantastic and are good enough that there is really not much more you can do to get a big advantage here. There is only so much gold plated lockers and diamond encrusted video screens can do for you.

As for recruiting grounds, yes they are rich...but plenty of other blue bloods also have riches in recruiting.

The bottom line is yes we have advantages that can help us be successful, but not nearly enough to guarantee success. The difference between us and the other P5 programs is not as big as people think. I think fans of blueblood programs often delude themselves this way.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Xian said:

See, I could get behind this if we DIDNT HAVE THE WORSE DEFENSE IN SCHOOL HISTORY.

But that’s not true. Mackovic had worse defense. Some of Mack Brown’s teams also had worse defense. Charlie Strong, I don’t remember, that whole period is a blur.

Adjusted stats rank the defense #51, identical to Strong's 3rd and final season. 7-5 looks like the most likely finish to the regular season, with a close win over KSt, a TCU-like loss @ISU, a close loss @BU, and a relatively easy win over Tech (narrator: it won't be easy). I want Herman to make some moves, but I don't expect him to and I assume he'll go into next year on the hot seat continuing to preach continuity in bad systems.

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Ok I just want to address this because in my opinion our advantages really are not all that significant.

Yes we have money. But these days even Iowa State has significant money, at least enough that our larger amount of money is not that big of a deal from a competitive point of view.

The same applies to facilities. Every single P5 program has facilities that are fantastic and are good enough that there is really not much more you can do to get a big advantage here. There is only so much gold plated lockers and diamond encrusted video screens can do for you.

As for recruiting grounds, yes they are rich...but plenty of other blue bloods also have riches in recruiting.

The bottom line is yes we have advantages that can help us be successful, but not nearly enough to guarantee success. The difference between us and the other P5 programs is not as big as people think. I think fans of blueblood programs often delude themselves this way.

This is spot on. Close to 40 million distributed to each Big 12 school last year. You can't outbid people for players, so you have to simply outbid them for the best coaches. Of course, as A&M is learning, that doesn't guarantee you shit. So, why do we keeping fucking this up? There is no answer.

16 minutes ago, longhrnfan said:

This is spot on. Close to 40 million distributed to each Big 12 school last year. You can't outbid people for players, so you have to simply outbid them for the best coaches. Of course, as A&M is learning, that doesn't guarantee you shit. So, why do we keeping fucking this up? There is no answer.

Hubris and incompetence.  Like JJ with the Cowboys, we have leaders that "think" they know what they are doing.  They are good are marketing a perception about the team without actually delivering much in the way of actual competence.  

• Like 2