2020 astros offseason

elfenix

4 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I now live five minutes from Dell Diamond and plan on attending plenty of Express home games. Anyone on the team besides Whitley worth paying close attention to?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-40-prospects-houston-astros/

Some guys from this list should spend time in RR this season.

I now live five minutes from Dell Diamond and plan on attending plenty of Express home games. Anyone on the team besides Whitley worth paying close attention to?

No
They all play for the D-Backs now

I haven’t tracked Javier’s status but if he s begins in AAA he’ll be one to watch

Good to know another surly Astros poster in the area
I’ll be making plenty of games too

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

Whitley is the only top prospect, but the roster will be full of 2nd and 3rd tier prospects likely to reach the majors.

3B Abraham Toro is the best position player, and has some potential to be a star.  Hits for average and power, has good defensive tools.

1B Taylor Jones was added to the 40 man roster.  Late bloomer hasn’t hit a lot of HR but his exit velocities point to major power potential.  High risk due to strikeouts and defensive limitations.

OF Ronnie Dawson is a former 2nd round pick who has high upside given he can hit for power and play CF, but his strikeout issues are a major flaw.

C Garrett Stubbs and IF Jack Mayfield have played in the majors but profile as bench pieces.

OF Drew Ferguson, OF Chas McCormick, OF Stephen Wrenn, IF Nick Tanielu, IF Alex De Goti, IF Osvaldo Duarte, C Jamie Ritchie, and C Lorenzo Quintana are all AAAA types who don’t Project to have long Major league careers and have almost no chance of being everyday big leaguers, but will all be fine AAA guys and probably at least get a cup of coffee.

On the pitching side, behind Whitley the staff will be full of guys with big league MoR and RP potential.  Cristian Javier, Brandon Bielak, Cionel Perez, Framber Valdez, and Blake Taylor are all 2nd tier prospects with great stuff.  Rogelio Armenteros is a high floor BoR type.  Kent Emanuel was added to the 40 man roster, which is a good sign for the low velocity lefty who was a 3rd round pick awhile back.  Their bullpen will have some heat with Dean Deetz, Ronel Blanco, Riley Ferrell, and Ralph Garza all throwing 94+.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ichabod said:

Is Lil’ Shep starting the regular season thread?

On 3/26/2019 at 11:09 PM, Planet Houston said:

Time to get back where we belong - World Series Champs or bust. 

And if we don’t, Lil’ Shep starts the 2020 thread. 

Let’s do this, fellas. I’m feeling great about this season. 

7 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I'm skeptical that he can improve his control so much that he becomes a reliable starter, but I certainly hope I'm wrong. 

Yeah, it's a big leap from where he is now to being a useful starter.  I think he's always going to have control issues and it's much more likely that he could improve it enough to become a good reliever than it is that he's magically going to be get good enough control that it will allow him to give you 6 innings on a regular basis.

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Michael Brantley, George Springer, Josh Reddick, Kyle Tucker

those are the four outfielders. not many games left for yordan 

Yep. And decent left fielders are cheap.  Even if they let both Springer and Brantley walk after this season, the answer will not be Yordan playing a lot of OF.  He needs to be able to play 20-30 games in the field so that he doesn’t have to sit when they play in the NL.  But the next CBA very well could implement universal DH anyway.

17 hours ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, it's a big leap from where he is now to being a useful starter.  I think he's always going to have control issues and it's much more likely that he could improve it enough to become a good reliever than it is that he's magically going to be get good enough control that it will allow him to give you 6 innings on a regular basis.

Command will obviously be a challenge for him but I don't think it would be a big leap from where he is now to being a useful starter.  His steamer projected BB% is 9.1%, which would be fine for someone like him.  If you can maintain an upper 20s or better K% then you can get away with a BB% around 10%.  For instance, Luis Castillo had a 10.1 BB% last season and accrued 4.1 WAR.  

10 hours ago, Ichabod said:

Planet Houston. When did you start the 2017 regular season thread? I should research but beers 

Pretty sure that the majority of spring training was in the offseason thread (I used to post an Astro with the corresponding jersey number for every day of the countdown below 50 or something, and that definitely was in the offseason thread).  I think the regular season thread started just prior to Opening Day.  I think we should wait as long as possible given we don't want bullshit about "the first time XYZ happened to the CHEATERS in Spring Training" clogging up the first 20 pages of the regular season thread.

Edited by Planet Houston

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Click has a lot of work to do to rebuild the farm system. 

I don’t think it’s as bad as it looks on the surface.  Toro, Pena, and Leon (when he signs) are all pretty easily in the Top 300 prospects in the league, as are Abreu, Urquidy, and Javier.  Nova, Lee, Perry, Barber, Brewer, and about a dozen of their pitching prospects all have the upside to make huge jumps this season.  They don’t have the top end talent they had from 2013-2018, but they still have great depth and are far beyond what they had in the decade prior to Luhnow’s arrival.  They will be challenged to continue being able to trade/graduate 7-8 good prospects every year like they have the previous 3, especially without having their top 2 picks the next 2 drafts, but the international draft, Crane’s willingness to spend, comp picks received for departing free agents, and (hopefully) Click’s ability to overachieve in the Rule 4 draft should all be mitigating factors.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Planet Houston said:

Pretty sure that the majority of spring training was in the offseason thread (I used to post an Astro with the corresponding jersey number for every day of the countdown below 50 or something, and that definitely was in the offseason thread).  I think the regular season thread started just prior to Opening Day.  I think we should wait as long as possible given we don't want bullshit about "the first time XYZ happened to the CHEATERS in Spring Training" clogging up the first 20 pages of the regular season thread.

100% agree

It's not really close. Diaz had a .823 OPS and a 114 OPS+ last year with a BB% over 10. Given a full season as a starter Diaz would likely be a 25+ HR guy, pretty valuable coming from a MI.

That’s a small sample size. Even with all the available ABs due to injury, Diaz had a whopping 69 games and 246 PAs due to his own injuries. That 10% BB number is based on only 26 walks. Toro had the same rate on even less PAs. The jury is still out on Díaz and Toro.

34 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

That’s a small sample size. Even with all the available ABs due to injury, Diaz had a whopping 69 games and 246 PAs due to his own injuries. That 10% BB number is based on only 26 walks. Toro had the same rate on even less PAs. The jury is still out on Díaz and Toro.

Eh. It’s not like Diaz was a rookie. He’s a career 110 wRC+. I think he’s pretty much a known commodity at this point.

On 2/23/2020 at 10:15 AM, Gourmand said:

It's a great time and the Express players really put on a good show.

We had Altuve for a series last year.

At this point, I am confident in saying you will get to see Correa no less than two series throughout the year. In all seriousness, I hope he stats healthy.

Greinke is a funny dude.

Greinke’s one stated spring training goal is to solve the regression of his slider. He’s thrown the pitch at least 16 percent of the time in each of the past four seasons. In 2016, opponents hit .191 against it. In 2017, it induced a 44.5 percent whiff rate.

Last season? The slider was knocked around for a .308 batting average. It generated a swing and miss just 27.2 percent of the time.

“Hopefully, I could get it better. But more importantly, (I’m) just trying to keep the other pitches as good as they were the last couple years and not let them get worse,” Greinke said. “If the slider could get better at the same time, that’d be nice. But it’s probably not going to happen.”

• Like 1