Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

5 hours ago, Borachio said:

Update:  It's been 3 weeks since I had my second Moderna vaccine injection, so I got an IGG and total antibody test yesterday and both tests came back negative for antibodies.

I was surprised by this given the reaction I had to the second injection (chills, fever, soreness, etc.) that lasted 24 hours.

Must have been one heck of a placebo shot!

You prob got real vaccine.  Almost all commercially available antibody tests are for the nucleocapsid part of coronavirus.  Your antibodies would be to Spike protein so not gonna be positive by that test

• Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, Borachio said:

Update:  It's been 3 weeks since I had my second Moderna vaccine injection, so I got an IGG and total antibody test yesterday and both tests came back negative for antibodies.

I was surprised by this given the reaction I had to the second injection (chills, fever, soreness, etc.) that lasted 24 hours.

Must have been one heck of a placebo shot!

I am on the Pfizer phase 3 vaccine trial.  Their mRNA vaccine is very similar to Moderna construct.  Had the exact same aches, fatigue, headache, and fever (102.7 F!) one day after 2nd shot given about 5 weeks ago.  Felt fine again after 24 hours.  No placebo (saline in Pfizer trial) is causing all of that.  Plus almost everyone in the Phase 1 trials had similar side effects after their 2nd dose.  I also got a commercial antibody test (Abbott’s test), which resulted negative.  I thought it was odd so I did research.  

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Heme Doc said:

I am on the Pfizer phase 3 vaccine trial.  Their mRNA vaccine is very similar to Moderna construct.  Had the exact same aches, fatigue, headache, and fever (102.7 F!) one day after 2nd shot given about 5 weeks ago.  Felt fine again after 24 hours.  No placebo (saline in Pfizer trial) is causing all of that.  Plus almost everyone in the Phase 1 trials had similar side effects after their 2nd dose.  I also got a commercial antibody test (Abbott’s test), which resulted negative.  I thought it was odd so I did research.  

You got the abbot test  on your own, or as the actual data for the trial?

49 minutes ago, Heme Doc said:

"Now you have autism." - Jenny Mccarthy. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-10-08-20-intl/h_b1b17737445ac5cb60f54df4b0467c5d

Utah ranchers have lost at least 8,000 mink to an outbreak of Covid-19 among the animals known for their silky, luxurious pelts.

The virus first appeared in the creatures in August, shortly after farmworkers fell ill in July, according to Dr. Dean Taylor, state veterinarian of Utah. Initial research shows the virus was transmitted from humans to animals, and so far has not seen any cases of the opposite.

“Everything we’ve looked at here in Utah suggests it's gone from the humans to the animals,” Taylor told CNN.

“It feels like a unidirectional path,” he said, adding that testing is still underway.

Some context: This is the first outbreak among mink in the United States, though other cases have been detected in the Netherlands, Spain and Denmark, according to the US Department of Agriculture.

Mink, which are closely related to weasels, otter and ferrets, appear to suffer similar symptoms to humans. Difficulty breathing and crusting around the eyes are usually seen, but the virus progresses rapidly, and most infected mink are dead by the next day, according to Taylor. It’s unclear what makes mink such a susceptible species, while others appear to be unaffected. 

Mink join only cats, dogs, a tiger and a lion to be the only confirmed animals with Covid-19 in the US, according to the USDA data.

The cluster of cases in Utah has spread to nine farms, but Taylor warns that “we’re still in the middle of the outbreak.” Each farm is under quarantine with only essential workers permitted on site. Farmworkers are being directed to use proper protective equipment at all times.

The pelts from most of the mink that have died from the virus have been either contained and buried or incinerated. No pelts have left the state, according to Taylor.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Heme Doc said:

You prob got real vaccine.  Almost all commercially available antibody tests are for the nucleocapsid part of coronavirus.  Your antibodies would be to Spike protein so not gonna be positive by that test

Good to know.

I went back and checked the test directory on the laboratories website for the two AB tests I had done and both test's methodology say, "The assay is designed to detect antibodies to the nucleocapsid protein of SARS-CoV-2...". 

I'm assuming specialty labs can only provide testing for antibodies to the spike protein.

I guess I'll just be patient and wait until Moderna tells me what injection I got for sure. :)

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Some of the placebo motherfuckers need to get the covid (for science of course) to trigger the first of the interim analyses. 

Funny you mention this.  A bunch of the nurses and other docs in my office enrolled in the trial.  We all can easily tell who got vaccine or placebo due to side effects.  One of my partners who almost certainly got placebo came down with some congestion and had to get tested today.  I tried to tell him to look on the bright side how he might save a bunch of lives if he has COVID now.  

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Heme Doc said:

Funny you mention this.  A bunch of the nurses and other docs in my office enrolled in the trial.  We all can easily tell who got vaccine or placebo due to side effects.  One of my partners who almost certainly got placebo came down with some congestion and had to get tested today.  I tried to tell him to look on the bright side how he might save a bunch of lives if he has COVID now.  

Yeah. Seems pretty clear based what you and others are saying that blinding has been broken, at least for the subject paying attention. Saline don’t cause 24h fever spikes.

btw, welcome to the board. Can you clarify your position on ou. It’s 10:23. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

With the latest mid-week death tolls, the United States officially surpassed every last "shithole country" in terms of Covid-19 deaths per 1mm citizens.  

But we are still doing better than Morocco.  Which will likely be declared a "shithole country" by month's end.  

Any news on blood type correlation to viral defeat?  

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah. Seems pretty clear based what you and others are saying that blinding has been broken, at least for the subject paying attention. Saline don’t cause 24h fever spikes.

btw, welcome to the board. Can you clarify your position on ou. It’s 10:23. 

Thanks for the welcome.  OU sucks

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

With the latest mid-week death tolls, the United States officially surpassed every last "shithole country" in terms of Covid-19 deaths per 1mm citizens.  

But we are still doing better than Morocco.  Which will likely be declared a "shithole country" by month's end.  

Here’s the data best I know about looking at this question.  From the Annals of Hematology in July

Bottom Line...”Blood type was not associated with risk of intubation or death in patients with COVID-19. Patients with blood types B and AB who received a test were more likely to test positive and blood type O was less likely to test positive. Rh+ patients were more likely to test positive.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7354354/

28 minutes ago, Heme Doc said:

Here’s the data best I know about looking at this question.  From the Annals of Hematology in July

Bottom Line...”Blood type was not associated with risk of intubation or death in patients with COVID-19. Patients with blood types B and AB who received a test were more likely to test positive and blood type O was less likely to test positive. Rh+ patients were more likely to test positive.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7354354/

Thanks.  I realized there was no steep correlation between blood type and death, but thought enough solid evidence was out there that indicated a connection between just getting the virus and blood type.  I'll hunt around for some October updates.  Maybe we type-B folks get Covid-19 more because we have more blood!  Bwahahahaha.  I dunno.  Damn Sephardic Jew blood.  

50 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Thanks.  I realized there was no steep correlation between blood type and death, but thought enough solid evidence was out there that indicated a connection between just getting the virus and blood type.  I'll hunt around for some October updates.  Maybe we type-B folks get Covid-19 more because we have more blood!  Bwahahahaha.  I dunno.  Damn Sephardic Jew blood.  

spacer.png

/obligatory

12 hours ago, Lobo said:

I am sure Covid deaths are counted in a uniform manner across the world.

• Hook 'Em 4

I am quite sure there are wild variations in counting.  But even with those disparities, even if you were to adjust them dramatically in our favor, we just lapped a lot of shitholes on a per Million basis.  

although Europe looks hot on our trail once again.  I wonder if the way they reopened their schools and those kids brought it home to the grandparents that live in the home?   They don’t nursing home like we do 

It’s now October. We are starting to get an evidence-based picture of how school reopenings and remote learning are going (those photos of hallways don’t count), and the evidence is pointing in one direction. Schools do not, in fact, appear to be a major spreader of COVID-19.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/10/schools-arent-superspreaders/616669/

• Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I am quite sure there are wild variations in counting.  But even with those disparities, even if you were to adjust them dramatically in our favor, we just lapped a lot of shitholes on a per Million basis.  

although Europe looks hot on our trail once again.  I wonder if the way they reopened their schools and those kids brought it home to the grandparents that live in the home?   They don’t nursing home like we do 

We are going back months looking at old deaths and counting them as Covid.  Nothing wrong with that.  But I seriously doubt most of the world has the time, money or inclination to do the same.

20 hours ago, Lobo said:

Check the obesity rate in the us.   There might be some hint of correlation 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Knighthawk said:

Check the obesity rate in the us.   There might be some hint of correlation 

Exactly. These death rate comparisons are apples to oranges. Well, more like apples to Deep Fried Twinkies. We are a nation that wallows in the trough of gluttony and slothfulness and we wonder why we are all dying. Take a look at the death rates from heart disease and cancer. It makes Covid look like a minor league franchise.  Our poor life choices and denial have set us up for health disasters. We’re softer than Texas playing Tech.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’ll have to go back and find the tweet, but read an interesting thread last night about a ‘tinder box’ theory regarding Covid spread  and the past 3 years running expected v actual flu cases deaths.   All of the countries hit the hardest by Covid have had a 3 years running lower than expected flu cases/hospitalizations/deaths and those doing better with Covid had worse flu years the past three years.  So the excess “healthy/unexposed” to flu over the past few years left a “tinder box” of infectability.

Read the words carefully....I’m not comparing this to the flu or it’s relativity to infection for Covid.  I just found it an interesting study.  It’s an interesting theory.   

12 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I’ll have to go back and find the tweet, but read an interesting thread last night about a ‘tinder box’ theory regarding Covid spread  and the past 3 years running expected v actual flu cases deaths.   All of the countries hit the hardest by Covid have had a 3 years running lower than expected flu cases/hospitalizations/deaths and those doing better with Covid had worse flu years the past three years.  So the excess “healthy/unexposed” to flu over the past few years left a “tinder box” of infectability.

Read the words carefully....I’m not comparing this to the flu or it’s relativity to infection for Covid.  I just found it an interesting study.  It’s an interesting theory.   

So you're saying we should have been raking the population to prevent a wildfire of covid?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

So is the hypothesis that the previous flu killed many of the vulnerable people that would have otherwise gotten very ill or died of covid? Or is it that the previous flu conferred some amount of immunity or resistance to covid?

4 minutes ago, XYZ said:

So is the hypothesis that the previous flu killed many of the vulnerable people that would have otherwise gotten very ill or died of covid? Or is it that the previous flu conferred some amount of immunity or resistance to covid?

The flu killed an excess expected amount of elderly in years leading up to Covid in places where Covid hasn’t been as big a killer, and vice versa for places where Covid has been the big killer. 

like I said, it’s not some sort of iron clad proof of anything, just another interesting data point in an enormous set of data points. 

Edited by Trey3216

The expected colder seasonal changes affecting indoor/outdoor activity appear to be manifesting as expected.  How much it spikes probably is (has to be) affected by how hard regional populations were already hit in the spring/early summer, for one.

Spoiler

Ej9T_CfWoAENX6C?format=jpg&name=medium

Ej9aQAaX0AA8m8T?format=jpg&name=medium

Ej9aXHpXgAEVm4A?format=jpg&name=medium

Compared to the US as a [shit]whole, the normalized new daily cases/1M population is substantially lower in Poland, Finland, Canada, and Russia.  Meanwhile keep NY's uptick in context:

Spoiler

Ej9VwF6WkAEN6s0?format=png&name=900x900

NY peaked at over 11K new cases per day in Mar/Apr and was at over 7K new cases per day for essentially a month.  While 1500k new cases per day in NY is worse than the ~500/d it had for July/Aug it's hard to see that daily rate approaching over 7k/day again.  Even factoring that NY is down from 11k new cases/d to 1500 cases/d, NY's normalized rate today (~79 new cases/1M) is still higher than current spikes in Canada, Russia, Poland, and Finland. 

I guess the takeaway is that even with the expected seasonal increases, we're not yet seeing signs of a recrudescence that will equal or surpass the severity of the first half of 2020.  Hopefully it won't even approach being half as bad as the worst days for a chunk of US regions that have already weathered big spikes like NY, FL, TX, CA and several others.

Edited by triplehorn

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away