2020 Texas HS football

LTtxfan

They’re selling tickets up in the 400s(top) of Jerryworld for the Aledo game. I know it’s due to distancing but damn how many are they expecting.

Last year we had the bottom two levels end zone to end zone packed. I guess I have no clue how that extrapolates with distancing properly.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Laga4 said:

We watched the semis last week on NFHS but it looks like FSW has exclusive rights to the State Championships.

19 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Are the state championships on this weekend?

Yes, the semis are usually before the finals

2 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Thanks. On NFHS?

See your previous post 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Yes, the semis are usually before the finals

See your previous post 

Meant to ask are State Championships on NFHS this weekend?  

Anyway thanks for the lesson in bracketology. 

I blame futureman for getting me started on this shit. 

Edited by Laga4
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Att tv has a 14 day cancel window so I signed up for it tonight to watch the games tomorrow and saturday and plan to cancel sunday.

They did just have a commercial saying it's on FSSW and the Fox Go app. I  was able to sign into the Fox go app with my YTTV account.

When I sign into Fox Sports Go app it only lets me watch Fox sports channels that I have on YTTV (FS1 and FS2, Big ten network). Still can’t see stuff on FSSW. Can you?

You have to have FSSW to get it on FSGo.  Like blacklab said, sign up for a free trial with AT&T TV -- warning: don't choose the lowest ($60) package, you need the second package (which I think says it's $85/month to get FSSW).  You can easily cancel on Sunday and not pay a thing. 

I wasn't planning on doing much of a writeup  because it seems like most people on this thread are familiar with all of these teams by now, so this is mainly me letting my nuts hang:

6AD1:  I'll actually be very surprised if Westlake doesn't win this by double digits.  Their defense is just miles ahead of SLC's D.  SLC's best weapon last week was soph RB Owen Allen, but I think Westlake's front 7 can contain him and the line will put enough pressure on Ewers to keep him from beating them (like Duncanville did). North Shore's D was a lot better than SLC's, so I think you'll see the Chaps' QB Klubnik make a lot of those big plays that he barely missed on last week and maybe soph WR Jalen Greathouse will show, because he's a huge mismatch.

6AD2: I hate Katy, but they're a fucking machine.  Their O-line has road-graded more physical teams than Cedar Hill already.  The best player in this game is Longhorn QB Kaidon Salter, and he's going to have to play out of his mind to keep it close.  I expect to flip channels on this one by half.

5AD1:  Three weeks ago, Cedar Park was hanging their hat on their "Black Rain" defense.  Then Manvel went in dry on it and CC Vets had a lot of first half success and now the focus is on QB Ryder Hernandez, who has been incredible in the playoffs, including 7 passing TDs last week.   Ryan's probably the most talented team of the 8 remaining, though.  Their defense is loaded with studs at every position.  They'll limit Hernandez and force turnovers, and I think Bowman and Sanders will have big receiving days against the CP secondary.  

5AD2:  I can't objectively pick this because I freaking love this Crosby team, which has played maybe the toughest road ever to reach the state championship -- wins over #5,#4, #3, and #7, all previously undefeated.  QB Deniquez Dunn and RB/WR Reggie Branch are the entertaining pair you'll see this weekend.  I've been wanting to pick against Aledo for several weeks now, because their defense isn't that good and their QB flat-out sucks, and about 80% of their offense is 160# RB Demarco Roberts.  But watch their O-line, because it's probably the best in the state.  Until the Crosby D just fell apart in the 4th quarter last week against Liberty Hill, I would have picked Crosby to win this.  But the thought of that Aledo O-line beating on them really worries me.  

• Hook 'Em 7

15 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I wasn't planning on doing much of a writeup  because it seems like most people on this thread are familiar with all of these teams by now, so this is mainly me letting my nuts hang:

6AD1:  I'll actually be very surprised if Westlake doesn't win this by double digits.  Their defense is just miles ahead of SLC's D.  SLC's best weapon last week was soph RB Owen Allen, but I think Westlake's front 7 can contain him and the line will put enough pressure on Ewers to keep him from beating them (like Duncanville did). North Shore's D was a lot better than SLC's, so I think you'll see the Chaps' QB Klubnik make a lot of those big plays that he barely missed on last week and maybe soph WR Jalen Greathouse will show, because he's a huge mismatch.

6AD2: I hate Katy, but they're a fucking machine.  Their O-line has road-graded more physical teams than Cedar Hill already.  The best player in this game is Longhorn QB Kaidon Salter, and he's going to have to play out of his mind to keep it close.  I expect to flip channels on this one by half.

5AD1:  Three weeks ago, Cedar Park was hanging their hat on their "Black Rain" defense.  Then Manvel went in dry on it and CC Vets had a lot of first half success and now the focus is on QB Ryder Hernandez, who has been incredible in the playoffs, including 7 passing TDs last week.   Ryan's probably the most talented team of the 8 remaining, though.  Their defense is loaded with studs at every position.  They'll limit Hernandez and force turnovers, and I think Bowman and Sanders will have big receiving days against the CP secondary.  

5AD2:  I can't objectively pick this because I freaking love this Crosby team, which has played maybe the toughest road ever to reach the state championship -- wins over #5,#4, #3, and #7, all previously undefeated.  QB Deniquez Dunn and RB/WR Reggie Branch are the entertaining pair you'll see this weekend.  I've been wanting to pick against Aledo for several weeks now, because their defense isn't that good and their QB flat-out sucks, and about 80% of their offense is 160# RB Demarco Roberts.  But watch their O-line, because it's probably the best in the state.  Until the Crosby D just fell apart in the 4th quarter last week against Liberty Hill, I would have picked Crosby to win this.  But the thought of that Aledo O-line beating on them really worries me.  

Agree with everything you said, especially wanting Crosby to win.  You gotta love their underdog magic, and I loathe and despise Aledo for myriad reasons.  Between Aledo, SLC and the privates, there is no football talent playing for Ft. Worth schools.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Totally agree about that SLC defense, they have not been that good this year. If Westlake plays like it did last week, they win by double digits, just can’t get complacent.

Katy should probably be the favorite, but man, their road to the state title game was one of the easiest I’ve ever seen. 6AD2 was weak this year, especially regions 3 and 4. Hays was a great story, but for that to be your semifinal opponent is crazy.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Totally agree about that SLC defense, they have not been that good this year. If Westlake plays like it did last week, they win by double digits, just can’t get complacent.

SLC defense has been a weakness,  however they have had a lot of injuries and those players have been returning to the lineup gradually.  

Also they are pretty much all first time starters this year and now they have a years experience.  

I think you are right,  Westlake should win the game but if they get complacent SLC could give them problems.  I know they are HS kids but I don't see how they could get complacent in a game like this.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

What's the deal with Aledo?   Do they really recruit?

Parents with athletic 13 year old sons in Fort Worth can find a reasonable place to rent just outside of town to let their kid grow up using college level athletic facilities and winning state every year. Or they can stay at Western Hills bad news bears facilities and have national articles mocking them after Aledo beats them 94-0

1 minute ago, cmontexas said:

Parents with athletic 13 year old sons in Fort Worth can find a reasonable place to rent just outside of town to let their kid grow up using college level athletic facilities and winning state every year. Or they can stay at Western Hills bad news bears facilities and have national articles mocking them after Aledo beats them 94-0

Yea I recall when we played them in State Title game in 2016 (we gave them hell and lost by 8 ) hearing from others in the area about the recruiting.   They had a kid move in for his Senior year from one of the big California football schools who was one of Harbaughs top recruits at Michigan.     The Fort Worth Star -Telegram had a video posted the week of the title game of Harbaugh going to Aledo and giving the team a pep talk.  

5 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Katy should probably be the favorite, but man, their road to the state title game was one of the easiest I’ve ever seen. 6AD2 was weak this year, especially regions 3 and 4. Hays was a great story, but for that to be your semifinal opponent is crazy.

Are you the one that lives in the Best Southwest area? Wondering if you knew what DeSoto’s deal was. Cedar Hill & Duncanville have gone very deep in the playoffs lately, and Cedar Hill has maintained success longest of any of them. DeSoto seems to be the underachiever of the group. No idea why they fired the coach that brought them a title and hired back Mathis.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Are you the one that lives in the Best Southwest area? Wondering if you knew what DeSoto’s deal was. Cedar Hill & Duncanville have gone very deep in the playoffs lately, and Cedar Hill has maintained success longest of any of them. DeSoto seems to be the underachiever of the group. No idea why they fired the coach that brought them a title and hired back Mathis.

I do live in the area, here's my take: DeSoto and Cedar Hill typically have similar levels of talent, I'd say there are two major reasons for the differences. 1.) Cedar Hill is actually a pretty small 6A school, so they almost always end up in the D2 bracket. Desoto fluctuates, they can do more damage in the d2 bracket but they are usually outmatched by the 3rd or 4th round in the D1 bracket by one of the giant schools. (Although CH did beat Desoto in the regular season, so bracket might not have mattered this year.)

And 2.) Desoto just isn't as aligned as Cedar Hill. DeSoto school board is often a mess, too many people pulling in too many different directions, they're a lot like Texas football in that way. Cedar Hill is a steady boat, their current coach Carlos Lynn, was Joey McGuire's original defensive coordinator. They've built a consistent culture, it's a well run program.

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, Helobious said:

No idea why they fired the coach that brought them a title and hired back Mathis.

The funny thing about the Peterman situation is that he had overwhelming support from the players and the parents, so much so that they actually pressured the school board into renewing Peterman's contract. Peterman technically didn't get fired, he just left anyway because he was tired of dealing with the board, which is almost always at war with one another.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

They had a kid move in for his Senior year from one of the big California football schools who was one of Harbaughs top recruits at Michigan.    

Hmm. Their QB this year when JoJo isn’t running the wildcat is a “transfer” from California.

We'll be at the game tomorrow night, cheering for the Chaps. I'm excited to see the inside of the Death Star, as we've never been there.

Funny thinking back to the Chaps/Cedar Park scrimmage last September. Didn't know that I would be watching two state finals teams. Go TImberwolves!!

Westlake-Scrimmage.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2