Olympics, better late than never

Michael Knight

12 hours ago, Pancho said:

Let me rephrase:

Should I be shocked and/or concerned at the amount of Americans rooting against team USA in every sport?

Well, the upside to the soccer loss to Canada is that we'll probably be hearing less from Rapinoe.   And that's never a bad thing. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Thought Simone Biles quit. Now she's back for one event.

She withdrew from a number of events.  I think people are giving her too hard of a time.  She basically had a mix of vertigo and the yips.  Seems perfectly reasonable to withdraw from events where you're running at high speeds, launching yourself into the air, and twisting and turning based hoping to land based on instinct.  Whereas the balance beam is less of that.

Separately, what's up with all of these Americans competing under other flags?  As others have pointed out, Camacho-Quinn who was born and raised in the United States competed under the Puerto Rico flag.  There have also been two others who's names escape me - one competed for Israel and the other for Jamaica.  May be an unpopular opinion, but that's kind of bush league.

31 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Why?

the fuck you mean why

when the salary value of your team is 5x the other, it is shameful to lose to that team.  excluding gobert, just 1 kevin durant is worth more than the entire french roster combined. 

it is michigan-app state, texas-kansas levels of embarassment.

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

the fuck you mean why

when the salary value of your team is 5x the other, it is shameful to lose to that team.  excluding gobert, just 1 kevin durant is worth more than the entire french roster combined. 

it is michigan-app state, texas-kansas levels of embarassment.

So you're rooting against them from now on because they lost a game? 

As you say, they have the money and fame to not need the Olympics like other athletes do. They didn't have to come. Most didn't. So you're going to root against the ones who did decide to go to Tokyo to represent their country, including the best player in the world, and three guys who got on the plane a day after playing in the NBA Finals?

Makes sense.

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

So you're rooting against them from now on because they lost a game? 

As you say, they have the money and fame to not need the Olympics like other athletes do. They didn't have to come. Most didn't. So you're going to root against the ones who did decide to go to Tokyo to represent their country, including the best player in the world, and three guys who got on the plane a day after playing in the NBA Finals?

Makes sense.

6-67274_collection-of-high-quality-free-

15 minutes ago, Esque said:

She withdrew from a number of events.  I think people are giving her too hard of a time.  She basically had a mix of vertigo and the yips.  Seems perfectly reasonable to withdraw from events where you're running at high speeds, launching yourself into the air, and twisting and turning based hoping to land based on instinct.  Whereas the balance beam is less of that.

Separately, what's up with all of these Americans competing under other flags?  As others have pointed out, Camacho-Quinn who was born and raised in the United States competed under the Puerto Rico flag.  There have also been two others who's names escape me - one competed for Israel and the other for Jamaica.  May be an unpopular opinion, but that's kind of bush league.

I’m sure we have people that aren’t really from here competing for us. Who gives a shit. 

So happy to wake up to the USWNT score. Maybe now they’ll STFU.

12 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You're aware that the loss to France doesn't take them out of gold metal contention, correct?

Guessing you're just giddy at the prospect of watching a KD led team lose, and that's about as far as it goes.

nice red herring, bro.

i'm talking about the expectation of performance given the lopsided collection of talent.  that 9/12 of the US team are all-stars in the highest level league in the world, one in which 9/12 of the french could not even the roster. 

i expect a clean sweep of the competition, which the US has done at the olympics at every single event since the Dream Team, save 2004.  in the 18 olympic tournaments, they won every single game in 15 of them.  it is not an unrealistic ask.

but sure, its just about KD.

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

nice red herring, bro.

i'm talking about the expectation of performance given the lopsided collection of talent.  that 9/12 of the US team are all-stars in the highest level league in the world, one in which 9/12 of the french could not even the roster. 

i expect a clean sweep of the competition, which the US has done at the olympics at every single event since the Dream Team, save 2004.  in the 18 olympic tournaments, they won every single game in 15 of them.  it is not an unrealistic ask.

but sure, its just about KD.

So, just to be clear, if they start playing better as a team, put it all together, and win out, you'll be upset because they're not undefeated??

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

So, just to be clear, if they start playing better as a team, put it all together, and win out, you'll be upset because they're not undefeated??

just to be clear, you had trouble comprehending that last post, or you chose not to understand it?

6 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

just to be clear, you had trouble comprehending that last post, or you chose not to understand it?

Using being (understandably) upset about their performance as your reason to actively root against a U.S. team the rest of the way seems incredibly fucking childish and petty to me, but you do you.

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Using being (understandably) upset about their performance as your reason to actively root against a U.S. team the rest of the way seems incredibly fucking childish and petty to me, but you do you.

spending all your time on a message board of your rival alma mater and then casting judgement on people for not blindly rooting for their national team seems incredibly fucking stupid to me, but you do you.

11 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

spending all your time on a message board of your rival alma mater and then casting judgement on people for not blindly rooting for their national team seems incredibly fucking stupid to me, but you do you.

Yes, I am absolutely judging you. There's a lot of real estate between being a sunshine pumping cheerleader and just not actively rooting against a team because you think "they deserve it", which was your initial comment.

Now, instead of just admitting that all your meant was that the U.S. men deserve criticism so far--which is perfectly fair--you've dug your heels in with lame, copycat style retorts that your seem to think are clever.

It would be cool to see Allyson Felix medal this Olympics. I cannot believe she’s still competing at that level. Talk about awesome if she can pull it off. I think if she were to medal she’d be the most decorated women’s track and field athlete—maybe more medals than Carl Lewis?

Syndey McLaughlin also one to watch. Pretty girl like Gabby Thomas (not as pretty as Gabby.) 

32 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yes, I am absolutely judging you. There's a lot of real estate between being a sunshine pumping cheerleader and just not actively rooting against a team because you think "they deserve it", which was your initial comment.

Now, instead of just admitting that all your meant was that the U.S. men deserve criticism so far--which is perfectly fair--you've dug your heels in with lame, copycat style retorts that your seem to think are clever.

Instead of trying to stretch and scrutinize and analyze what I meant or not, how about you distance your nose from my ass and mind your own business?

3 hours ago, Esque said:

The US Military literally has a program to recruit Olympic Athletes from other countries. Do you want to see the best in the world regardless of how they get there, or are you someone who jacks off to petty rules bullshit?

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

I’m sure we have people that aren’t really from here competing for us. Who gives a shit. 

So happy to wake up to the USWNT score. Maybe now they’ll STFU.

Are you by chance Canadian?

3 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

The US Military literally has a program to recruit Olympic Athletes from other countries. Do you want to see the best in the world regardless of how they get there, or are you someone who jacks off to petty rules bullshit?

What are you blabbering about?

No, I don't want to see - as you put it - "the best in the world regardless of how they get there."  I want to see the best each country has to offer compete under their own flag against other countries.  I would guess that overwhelming majority fall in line with that thought process.  If everyone really wanted to see the best in the world, they'd watch the WCA - and who in the hell watches that?  People watch the Olympics because it is an international event where countries are represented, not because we go to bed at night wondering who can run the 200M hurdle the fastest.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Esque said:

What are you blabbering about?

No, I don't want to see - as you put it - "the best in the world regardless of how they get there."  I want to see the best each country has to offer compete under their own flag against other countries.  I would guess that overwhelming majority fall in line with that thought process.  If everyone really wanted to see the best in the world, they'd watch the WCA - and who in the hell watches that?  People watch the Olympics because it is an international event where countries are represented, not because we go to bed at night wondering who can run the 200M hurdle the fastest.

So you want the US to give up our imports? Shit countries have fought wars with plenty of hired soldiers, why should the Olympics be any different? Why get hung up on blood and soil nationalism now? 

5 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Syndey McLaughlin also one to watch. Pretty girl like Gabby Thomas (not as pretty as Gabby.) 

you shut your mouth.  gimme Sydney over Gabby any day of the week.

but both take a back seat to sweet Emma Coburn.  Emma runs for gold in the 3000m steeplechase on Wednesday morning at 6 am.

1o6tzgnthxe71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

6mqx7gnthxe71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 2