Jump to content
The_Great_Hornsby

College Football in 2020 in danger?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, The Marsellus Wallace said:

There are liars, damn liars, and  . . .

...COVID charts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SimkinsMan said:

Texas set a record with nearly 7,000 cases today. Hospitalizations also recorded their biggest one-day jump. But it's cool right? Just media hype and those damned protests.

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ed483ecd702b4298ab01e8b9cafc8b83

Every single one of those 7,000 a Yankee hippy science-believing liberal faggot....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Eugene11 said:

not that i agree with 6th street on everything but i took that post to be responding with like commentary..... just saying.  say dumb things get dumb responses.  

What I said wasn't dumb though.  It was a perfectly rational point of view.  If you think the media isn't at least a bit blowing this out of proportion or that the protests didn't have anything to do with the spike then you are kidding yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pasken said:

Maybe if people were protesting inside buildings that had circular airflow. The "media" is reporting what studies are showing. 

The media also has a narrative that they run with and it has different sides to it depending on which one you watch.  Once again if you think the media isn't at least a little bit fueling this or that the protests didn't have anything to do with the spike, you are not operating in reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maybe opening bars, gyms, churches and restaurants was a worse one. 

Where are the “studies” that pinpoint the “spike/surge/swell” to bars, gyms, churches and restaurants?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Sejjr said:

That is an interesting study. The point that the protests actually caused MORE social distancing in the immediate aftermath is a valid one. In LA, we had forced curfews, and all the shops and restaurants that were beginning their re-opening plans indeed put a halt to that, either out of self-preservation or to make repairs from the damage. 

Yeah, I mean it's definitely not saying that the protesters themselves didn't increase their own risk of getting Covid by attending the protests. There was obviously elevated risk, and more people at the protests got infected than had they stay home. Just that the "end of the day" net impact on overall Covid spread was zero (actually slightly negative). 

"We demonstrate that cities which had protests saw an increase in social distancing behavior for the overall population relative to cities that did not. In addition, we find no evidence that net COVID-19 case growth differentially rose following the onset of Black Lives Matter protests, and even modest evidence of a small longer-run case growth decline."

The issue here is that we are now experiencing a "spike", which lines up very closely with the lag time of the protests. And despite the fact that protesters were largely wearing masks, as we know from the CDC and others expert sources, simple cloth coverings are not very effective, and can also lead to constant face-touching, which defeats their purpose to a large degree. That study of infection trends also cuts off around June 20.

All of this is addressed in the text of the study. The "spike" and the lag time are not only addressed but they're the two things the entire study is focused on. The average run time for secondary infections is two weeks, and this study has three weeks worth of data. The spikes are also controlled for and have zero correlation to the protests (basically the overarching conclusion of the study)



That study also fails to convey the consequence that once the protests started, the general thought especially among the age demographic of the protesters was "COVID is over, and the police are not going to enforce it anymore."

Maybe. You're speculating. I have my own speculation but as to why people thought "Covid was over", but that's neither here nor there and belongs on a different forum.


So while the social distancing among non-protesters may have increased, the social distancing among the younger population did not. It is also difficult to pinpoint where a new infection might have come from when many states, NY and California included, specifically avoided asking people if they had been at a protest when they took their test.


Contact tracing is irrelevant to this study. There was no protest "spike" in NY. NY had the largest protests in the world.


So let me ask this: if the protests had no adverse affect on the rise in COVID positive test results that we have seen in the past 9 days, what has caused the rise in Los Angeles county?


I don't know. Californians are stupid. Family gatherings? Bars? Restaurants? Gyms? Church? You know, the things that have been scientifically proven to be huge vectors for the spread of the virus (unlike protests, beaches, or whatever other boogeymen du jour we're going with).


And if these huge gatherings didn't cause a spike, why are gatherings among anyone but your immediate family now banned in LA?


I don't understand this question. States were shutting down gatherings outside of immediate family well before the protests. Parties and gatherings, particularly indoors, are known vectors for spread.


Leaving aside the fact that we have seen a large uptick in actual testing being conducted and a large uptick in hospitalizations and doctor visits for non-COVID related reasons, and people seeking employment are also required to test, and any positive tests result in testing among their families and contacts as well....if we leave all of those facts aside....what has caused the spike? It is certainly not  bars or the beach or bike paths.


Have you not been paying attention to the data? It certainly is bars. And family get togethers and parties and church and gyms and things like that. It's construction workers in the same vehicles and hotel rooms. Typically indoors and typically with a small person to area ratio, bonus points if people are yelling. You know, the places that basically every other virus in human history has been spread.

.
 

Edited by BradInATX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here we go again with “bars, restaurants, gyms and churches.” Holy fuck if nothing else, I give y’all credit for having your talking points in order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:


Here we go again with “bars, restaurants, gyms and churches.” Holy fuck if nothing else, I give y’all credit for having your talking points in order.

Science and data - "talking points"

Fuck outta here with your conspiracy theorist flat earther bullshit.

 

https://people.com/health/fauci-stop-going-to-bars-right-now-coronavirus/ - "Speaking at the U.S. Senate Committee hearing on Tuesday, Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said that congregating inside at bars "bad news."

https://khn.org/news/packed-bars-serve-up-new-rounds-of-covid-contagion/ - Public health authorities have identified bars as the locus of outbreaks in Louisiana, Florida, Wyoming and Idaho

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6920e2.htm - High COVID-19 Attack Rate Among Attendees at Events at a Church — Arkansas, March 2020

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/28/trump-coronavirus-spread-churches-342296 - "n West Virginia, six health departments across the state have reported coronavirus outbreaks linked to churches. One of them, a Baptist church in Greenbrier County, had 34 congregants test positive for the virus. And in Texas, which hit an all-time high of new cases last week, health officials have received numerous reports of church-related exposures."

 

Edited by BradInATX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, some of those links are from media outlets and he thinks the media is fueling this therefore the information in them doesn’t matter. Rinse & repeat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

The spouse tells me I'm the same.

Interesting, she  tells me I find it every time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jimbob said:

Interesting, she  tells me I find it every time. 

Better keep her happy.  That's a very kindhearted woman you've got there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Better keep her happy.  That's a very kindhearted woman you've got there.

I don’t mind picking up a second hand Porsche with extremely low mileage because the first owner couldn’t figure out how to work the gear box.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
https://fortune.com/2020/06/26/is-it-safe-restaurant-coronavirus-cases-credit-cards-restaurants-jp-morgan-chase-covid-19-outbreaks/
 
Here's what's going to happen. MirrOlure is not going to ready any of what I just posted, and he's going to come back and say something really stupid.

First....multiple stories about the same “outbreaks” is a nice touch. Secondly....these are stories. Not studies. So anecdotal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the thread topic, this shit isn’t looking good.

I realized that’s a “hot take”.

I have moved on from denial to acceptance in my stages of grief for the 2020 season.

gotta be way less than 50/50 at this point.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:


First....multiple stories about the same “outbreaks” is a nice touch. Secondly....these are stories. Not studies. So anecdotal

 

dumb.jpg

 

Quote

Here's what's going to happen. MirrOlure is not going to ready any of what I just posted, and he's going to come back and say something really stupid.

Nailed it.

Edited by BradInATX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nailed it.

Anything performed over a period of days is not a “study”. It’s a collection of statistics and someone’s/group’s analysis. We’ll get the studies in 2022

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MirrOlure said:


Anything performed over a period of days is not a “study”. It’s a collection of statistics and someone’s/group’s analysis. We’ll get the studies in 2022

Nba All Star Wow GIF by NBA

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On the thread topic, this shit isn’t looking good.
I realized that’s a “hot take”.
I have moved on from denial to acceptance in my stages of grief for the 2020 season.
gotta be way less than 50/50 at this point.
 
 

There’s no fucking way we’re having football season. Yet I’ll buy my parking passes tomorrow at 10:00 am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah, I mean it's definitely not saying that the protesters themselves didn't increase their own risk of getting Covid by attending the protests. There was obviously elevated risk, and more people at the protests got infected than had they stay home. Just that the "end of the day" net impact on overall Covid spread was zero (actually slightly negative). 

 

 

I appreciate your attempt to have an actual discussion about this. I know based on some of your subsequent posts that you'd be tempted like to call me a "flat-earther" or something, but  you took the time to address and question my points. So thanks for that.

I was limiting that post to Los Angeles, because that is where I live, and that is what I know first hand. I can tell you that despite what you may have read, there are no bars open for business and there have not been since March 12. And the restaurants that were allowed to open a few weeks ago, a majority of them chose to wait until we were further along in our phased reopening. Or some were opening the day the protests started, and a few of these were destroyed and looted, so they shut down again. Plus many restaurants and bars did not even have a staff that could start working again, because most were laid off, and they are making similar or more money from unemployment than working at the restaurant or bar.

Everyone wears masks here whenever they are outside. You even see people riding their bike, by themselves, wearing a mask. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone not wearing a mask. And now they are mandatory again, thanks to the "spike" or "surge" or whatever you want to call the increase in positive tests over the last 10 days or so. So, I look at the numbers, and seed the rise in positive cases. I watched 20,000 people marching down Hollywood a few blocks from where I live. The VAST majority of these people were in their 20s. Many of the new cases are also skewing much younger as well.

And yes, I am speculating here, but I do believe many of these people were not working, were unemployed, and were out of school due to the previous 3 months of lockdowns. So after being browbeaten about COVID for all this time, suddenly, you are free to come out and protest all day long side-by-side with friends you may not have seen in a while, and this was a signal that many felt the COVID scare was over, especially among this lower risk group of people. The media instantly stopped talking about cases and deaths and comorbidities.

The larger point is, we received a new order on Sunday closing all beaches and bike paths (again, WTF?), limiting any gatherings to only your immediate family,  and all fireworks were prohibited. I understand the last one because you want to prevent large gatherings, but after allowing MASSIVE gatherings for over two weeks, and then claiming that protests had no effect on this current surge, despite the timing, I want to know the logic behind any closure that prevents people from going outside. You can't have it both ways. If protests had no effect on the spread because "outdoor transmission," then be consistent for fucks' sake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:


There’s no fucking way we’re having football season. Yet I’ll buy my parking passes tomorrow at 10:00 am.

I’m headed in that direction, just trying to hold out hope.

A year without sports is fuck.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we don't have a season - which I agree is most likely - do you think all the players will get an extra year of eligibility?  Would the NCAA allow for more than 85 scholarships to accommodate seniors coming back an extra year?   Will draft eligible players go pro based on last year's tape, or would they come back?

Because, selfishly speaking, this year's team was going to be our good one.   If we're in acceptance mode that 2020 football won't happen, then I now need to invent scenarios where Ehlinger, Ossai, Cosmi, etc. are all back in 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

I appreciate your attempt to have an actual discussion about this. I know based on some of your subsequent posts that you'd be tempted like to call me a "flat-earther" or something, but  you took the time to address and question my points. So thanks for that.

I was limiting that post to Los Angeles, because that is where I live, and that is what I know first hand. I can tell you that despite what you may have read, there are no bars open for business and there have not been since March 12. And the restaurants that were allowed to open a few weeks ago, a majority of them chose to wait until we were further along in our phased reopening. Or some were opening the day the protests started, and a few of these were destroyed and looted, so they shut down again. Plus many restaurants and bars did not even have a staff that could start working again, because most were laid off, and they are making similar or more money from unemployment than working at the restaurant or bar.

Everyone wears masks here whenever they are outside. You even see people riding their bike, by themselves, wearing a mask. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone not wearing a mask. And now they are mandatory again, thanks to the "spike" or "surge" or whatever you want to call the increase in positive tests over the last 10 days or so. So, I look at the numbers, and seed the rise in positive cases. I watched 20,000 people marching down Hollywood a few blocks from where I live. The VAST majority of these people were in their 20s. Many of the new cases are also skewing much younger as well.

And yes, I am speculating here, but I do believe many of these people were not working, were unemployed, and were out of school due to the previous 3 months of lockdowns. So after being browbeaten about COVID for all this time, suddenly, you are free to come out and protest all day long side-by-side with friends you may not have seen in a while, and this was a signal that many felt the COVID scare was over, especially among this lower risk group of people. The media instantly stopped talking about cases and deaths and comorbidities.

The larger point is, we received a new order on Sunday closing all beaches and bike paths (again, WTF?), limiting any gatherings to only your immediate family,  and all fireworks were prohibited. I understand the last one because you want to prevent large gatherings, but after allowing MASSIVE gatherings for over two weeks, and then claiming that protests had no effect on this current surge, despite the timing, I want to know the logic behind any closure that prevents people from going outside. You can't have it both ways. If protests had no effect on the spread because "outdoor transmission," then be consistent for fucks' sake. 

 

And same to you, I appreciate the attempt in your prior post to have a real discussion even if we don't see eye to eye. It's the nonsensical political hack type posts and the anti-science that irritate me. I'm never going to go off on someone trying to have a real discussion. 

Thanks for the context on LA. I've mostly just been following Texas (and Louisiana a bit). I think it's difficult at times with Covid because we all like answers and there's not really a clear one. If you want, you can look at the protests and you're absolutely right that the timing lines up. Or conversely you could look at the timing of re-openings and increase in traffic and decrease of social distancing and general caution, and see that the timing lines up. 

I'm a data guy. I do big data analytics for a living, and I believe in it (provided it's done properly which is why I end up reading the entire text of these studies). So I'm inclined to believe the studies that are done well and done on big, robust data sets. The two that I've seen are the one I linked above, and the one by Chase that showed a strong correlation between restaurant spending and Covid spread (a week or so later); though I do admit there are some questions about whether the restaurants are directly parallel or if restaurant spending is just a harbinger of other things. So I find myself veering towards the side of things that believes indoor activities and a lack of masks are the real culprits here (if we're hunting boogeymen anyway; obviously it's a combination of a lot of things).

FWIW - I think closing beaches and bike paths is beyond stupid. I was just complaining earlier on the DT thread about Austin closing down parks for the weekend, while bars and churches are still open. It doesn't make any sense.

I also would have no issue with an outdoor football game if masks were required. I think the risk in that situation is orders of magnitude lower than going to a bar and screaming over the music at each other with no masks amongst recirculated, temperature controlled air. And while the protests were pretty good about mask usage, I'm disappointed in those who didn't wear them. 

Edited by BradInATX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to be optimistic while trying to be rationale.  I think the huge spike in cases now will die down by August, just like it did in the NE after two months and we will kickoff on time.  I have no idea if we will have 100%, 50%, 25% fans ins seats or no fans in seats.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If we don't have a season - which I agree is most likely - do you think all the players will get an extra year of eligibility?  Would the NCAA allow for more than 85 scholarships to accommodate seniors coming back an extra year?   Will draft eligible players go pro based on last year's tape, or would they come back?
Because, selfishly speaking, this year's team was going to be our good one.   If we're in acceptance mode that 2020 football won't happen, then I now need to invent scenarios where Ehlinger, Ossai, Cosmi, etc. are all back in 2021.
Yes. They gave all spring sport athletes an extra year. No reason they wouldn't for fall. You'd probably have some guys leave for the draft though. Cosmi and Ossai would seem most likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s no fucking way we’re having football season. Yet I’ll buy my parking passes tomorrow at 10:00 am.

I don’t believe there’s going to be any this year either, and even if there is I don’t see any way that I’d go. Yet I still bought my parking pass this morning. I sometimes wonder what I’m thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

If we don't have a season - which I agree is most likely - do you think all the players will get an extra year of eligibility?  Would the NCAA allow for more than 85 scholarships to accommodate seniors coming back an extra year?   Will draft eligible players go pro based on last year's tape, or would they come back?

Russina-Beauties.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

2, 3, 4, 1

Ahh, the Olde Days, before the Rise of the Social Justice Warriors and Infectious Disease Experts. 

Edited by TreatyOak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2020 at 5:41 PM, Js1 said:

First off, WRONG on being an obnxious douchebag.  Since it links directly to the primary newspaper in the 7th largest city in the country

And secondly, deaths always lag by weeks.  You don't test positive and then immediately die.  That's not how this works.  Unless you time traveled into the future, you have no idea what's going to happen. 

First off, this is Surly.  If you are offended someone is obnoxious, you shouldn't be here.  Second, the Express News was a joke 50 years ago.  Third, pretty much every newspaper is a joke nowadays, unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BradInATX said:

If anyone is interesting in some data and empirical evidence around Covid and the protests instead of running around with your hair on fire screaming "but the protests!!", here you go:

https://www.nber.org/papers/w27408.pdf

I suspect most of you are not interested in that though. 

Cliff's:

 

 

If this is the one I read before, it says the protests increased Covid among the protestors while decreasing it among everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I think it's been young people who either think this is overblown or think it's basically a cold. I've just heard from friends who are testing positive from going on a boat party in Austin. There are pictures all over showing crowded bars, pool parties, and boat parties. No masks and no social distancing. That's what is fueling the current spike.

Young people, whether hanging out, protesting, looting, ...have gotten bored.  They are ignoring common sense precautions.  For all this nonsense about locking things back up, kids are still going to be out connecting.  They're done with the lockdowns.  I've got a teen.  Its been a battle all along and he's a lot better than many others his age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

2, 3, 4, 1

the first two don't look Russian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bullet said:

Young people, whether hanging out, protesting, looting, ...have gotten bored.  They are ignoring common sense precautions.  For all this nonsense about locking things back up, kids are still going to be out connecting.  They're done with the lockdowns.  I've got a teen.  Its been a battle all along and he's a lot better than many others his age.

There are way more deadlier things teens have to worry about than covid. They're told to stay safe and stay indoors because they may catch it and transmit it to someone older and more vulnerable. Teens and young adults did a good job for a month or two, but it seems like the inevitable has occurred and they're out socializing again. I really wish the governor would mandate masks in public for everyone instead of suggesting masks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

2, 3, 4, 1

No you ignorant fool...1, 3 ,4, 2....huge difference!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doing something right in Lubbock, although watch them hold a celebration party for eliminating the virus   @nicoleauerbach Texas Tech announces that it has completed 21 additional tests for COVID-19 among its football newcomers/staff members with zero positive results. Texas Tech has completed 218 tests for football athletes/staff with a total of 23 positive results, all of which are now recovered.

The STD results were a different story

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

 

And same to you, I appreciate the attempt in your prior post to have a real discussion even if we don't see eye to eye. It's the nonsensical political hack type posts and the anti-science that irritate me. I'm never going to go off on someone trying to have a real discussion. 

Thanks for the context on LA. I've mostly just been following Texas (and Louisiana a bit). I think it's difficult at times with Covid because we all like answers and there's not really a clear one. If you want, you can look at the protests and you're absolutely right that the timing lines up. Or conversely you could look at the timing of re-openings and increase in traffic and decrease of social distancing and general caution, and see that the timing lines up. 

I'm a data guy. I do big data analytics for a living, and I believe in it (provided it's done properly which is why I end up reading the entire text of these studies). So I'm inclined to believe the studies that are done well and done on big, robust data sets. The two that I've seen are the one I linked above, and the one by Chase that showed a strong correlation between restaurant spending and Covid spread (a week or so later); though I do admit there are some questions about whether the restaurants are directly parallel or if restaurant spending is just a harbinger of other things. So I find myself veering towards the side of things that believes indoor activities and a lack of masks are the real culprits here (if we're hunting boogeymen anyway; obviously it's a combination of a lot of things).

FWIW - I think closing beaches and bike paths is beyond stupid. I was just complaining earlier on the DT thread about Austin closing down parks for the weekend, while bars and churches are still open. It doesn't make any sense.

I also would have no issue with an outdoor football game if masks were required. I think the risk in that situation is orders of magnitude lower than going to a bar and screaming over the music at each other with no masks amongst recirculated, temperature controlled air. And while the protests were pretty good about mask usage, I'm disappointed in those who didn't wear them. 

I think we see a little closer to eye to eye than you might think.

Look, I miss the days of 4 long months ago where I rarely paid too much attention to politics day-to-day, and spent more of my time with the hand wringers on the recruiting board. I miss those goofy bastards...I want football, as most of us do. I am just beyond tired of the cherry picking of data to fit a politically motivated position, "experts" who have been completely wrong (and in some cases, criminally so), and dogmatic opinions with no room for an opposing viewpoint, right or wrong. I am tired of negative news always taking precedence over any positive news. I have a hard time understanding why everyone in this country isn't seeking out the best case scenarios in every new data set. I am also frustrated with all the inconsistencies from local government decisions to the way states report their data. I don't personally think cloth masks are very effective at preventing the spread of this virus, but I still wear one every day because if it does possibly help at all, why wouldn't you wear one? It isn't that big a sacrifice, annoying as it may be. 

I still believe there is a chance that this current surge in cases will taper off in the next 2-3 weeks, and we will get a clearer picture of what we might expect come September. I think the football decision makers will wait as long as they possibly can before they make any decision regarding cancelling the upcoming season. It just seems like there are a lot of people that want the worst case scenario to play out, and I will never understand that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ITS NOT THE PROTESTS CAUSING THE INCREASE.
So basically block parties are ok as long as its mostly outdoors, and beaches should stay open?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best analysis that I've read would indicate that yes, the protests are the main driver of the large increases we've seen in much of the country. They are not the only driver, and there is plenty of evidence that indoor drinking or crowded patios are also dangerous. Many cities did not see any protest increase which is still a mystery but quite likely because those areas had already been slammed and thus have more immunity.

It ticks me off to see people suggest the protesters were just bored or tired of the lockdown. I was on the periphery of a few marches in Philly and it was not a party atmosphere or social hangout. It looked the same in other cities too. They had signs and they were mad.

As to football, I think what Sejir and Bevoswag mention above has a good chance of happening: the southern numbers will remain horrifying into next week, then will plateau for several weeks and slowly come down. It's not gonna be an easy decision for colleges, but if numbers are dropping in early August, my guess is they move forward with the intent to play games on time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Its not the bars? Literally over 100 people got infected from one bar in Michigan that was open a week.
It’s not the beach? There are stories all over of clusters of people who got infected after going to the beach for a week.
wheres the stories of dozens of protestors who got infected?

Dont ask dont tell!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets have the games but call them protest “exhibitions” and have all cops are bastard chants the entire time.
Blast too live crew fuck martinez and navarro over the video screen but dub in manley over those names.
Then for sure no covids will happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, bullet said:

the first two don't look Russian.

Maybe not but they sure taste Russian.

Edited by SHOOTER12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sejjr said:

I think we see a little closer to eye to eye than you might think.

Look, I miss the days of 4 long months ago where I rarely paid too much attention to politics day-to-day, and spent more of my time with the hand wringers on the recruiting board. I miss those goofy bastards...I want football, as most of us do. I am just beyond tired of the cherry picking of data to fit a politically motivated position, "experts" who have been completely wrong (and in some cases, criminally so), and dogmatic opinions with no room for an opposing viewpoint, right or wrong. I am tired of negative news always taking precedence over any positive news. I have a hard time understanding why everyone in this country isn't seeking out the best case scenarios in every new data set. I am also frustrated with all the inconsistencies from local government decisions to the way states report their data. I don't personally think cloth masks are very effective at preventing the spread of this virus, but I still wear one every day because if it does possibly help at all, why wouldn't you wear one? It isn't that big a sacrifice, annoying as it may be. 

I still believe there is a chance that this current surge in cases will taper off in the next 2-3 weeks, and we will get a clearer picture of what we might expect come September. I think the football decision makers will wait as long as they possibly can before they make any decision regarding cancelling the upcoming season. It just seems like there are a lot of people that want the worst case scenario to play out, and I will never understand that. 


Good post.

I think it's been proven that even cloth masks are pretty effective if adopted by the majority. But that's neither here nor there and I appreciate your attitude and respect/empathy for the rest of society. 

And agreed on the "seeking best case scenarios". I've been one of the more cautious and data driven people on the Covid threads on the Daily Texan, but by no means am I rooting to be right. I'd love to learn that this thing is no big deal, it's weakening, or that it's not really a threat. I'm sick of being couped up in the house. And the one outlet my wife and I found to get out a bit (hitting the outdoor breweries that were really well spaced) is now shut back down, which sucks. All of this shit sucks. I damn sure hope you're right about the tapering off, because this fall and winter are going to really suck if we don't have football. I'll even be happy if we get it without fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bartles said:

The best analysis that I've read would indicate that yes, the protests are the main driver of the large increases we've seen in much of the country.

Would you mind sharing this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Would you mind sharing this?

It’s amazing the protests only spiked cases in states that reopened early and not Minneapolis, New York, Chicago, etc.  Sooooooo amazing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Would you mind sharing this?

I don't think I'm on board with Twitter's @boriquagato in general, he seems like maybe an anarchist or at best a shit-stirrer. But the thread below and some of his other points are pretty compelling as far as theories on why NY/DC/Phila/Chi have been under control post-protest but many others have blown up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...