Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t see a reason not to wear a mask in a crowded grocery store regardless the city size. If only to show respect to the people working there.

Haha, you think folks that are against wearing masks in public places give a shit about showing respect to others?

Unless you're dirt poor, most everyone has access to a mask now...hell some places are giving them away. So if someone is out shopping without a mask, they're basically silent protesting (and don't give a shit about their own health or being respectful to others).

Username name checks out, you're too nice Eddie!

Edited by texas08

Had to go to Home Depot (Brodie) yesterday because of a leaking toilet. It was fairly crowded, but I only saw ONE person without a mask. And very few people were shopping with someone else (one family, a few couples). Very encouraging. One of the rare times I can say I’m truly happy that I live in Austin

Nah, Jewbies. Far West is pretty low on Milfs in my experience. For that you want Bee Cave. Yoga pants Valhalla.

I thought that too....then I had a random day off, and went shopping on a Tuesday around 10:00 am. After all the moms drop the kids off at school, and go do their yoga and Starbucks...they hit that HEB. It was about 150 west Austin moms...and me. It was glorious.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:
11 hours ago, mchookem said:
yeah, same...Far West HEB late this afternoon.... i'd say as high as 98% masked, literally only saw 3 people without and one was a 10 yoa kid.
i mean, if we're basically relying on the sensibility and consideration of our fellow citizens... Austin is not a bad place to be. 

I do most off my shopping there and I was honestly under the impression they wouldn't let you in without one, until I saw my first unmasked shopper yesterday. I much prefer shopping in person but if that starts rising I'll jump on the curbside train.

I’m at this HEB at least 4-5x/week and I too saw my first unmasked shopper yesterday. The irony is he was probably 70-75 years old.  

For the most part, the mask wearing in Austin has been pretty solid during all of this.  I’d easily give our city a B+/A-   

Mask protocol gives me an excellent excuse to wear bandana like an Old West train robber just like I used to when I was a kid. 

win-win

25 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

I’m at this HEB at least 4-5x/week and I too saw my first unmasked shopper yesterday. The irony is he was probably 70-75 years old.  

For the most part, the mask wearing in Austin has been pretty solid during all of this.  I’d easily give our city a B+/A-   

I've been impressed by the response here in Austin generally.  That said, I stopped by the HEB out in Lakeway a couple of days ago and was shocked by the number of people without masks - probably > 20% weren't wearing masks, including quite a few elderly folks.  Also had to follow a lady sans mask who had to weigh 4 bills riding her scooter-cart into the store so slow that I'm assuming she was frying the motor on the poor thing - yea, 'Merica!  On top of that, none of the staff at Twin Liquors in Lakeway were wearing any masks.  Takeaway - fuck Lakeway.  I'll stay within the Austin city limits.

Yesterday at the Slaughter/Escarpment HEB I saw an unmasked HEB curbside employee picking out fruits and vegetables to place on his cart. Kind of defeats the purpose I would think. Plus about 6 or 7 unmasked shoppers.  This was around 1pm and the store was pretty packed. 

On various errands, and just driving around for sanity's sake, central north Dallas traffic has more or less returned to normal.

The parking lot at NorthPark is full(er), but not quite normal.  Nothing noticeable at eateries, but I haven't driven by the entertainment districts.

Masks are pretty prevalent still in the places I actually go into, which is the grocery store and the odd convenience store, and even among people I see out and about, other than exercising.

37 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Mask protocol gives me an excellent excuse to wear bandana like an Old West train robber just like I used to when I was a kid. 

win-win

One of the funniest things about the GOP turning masks into a culture war thing is that like half their base probably already had a bunch of masks at home with the punisher logo on them, or were otherwise “tacticool,” and couldn’t wait for an excuse to wear them in public. But Trump thought he’d look like a pussy if he wore a mask, so now they’ve got to pretend masks are for gay liberal Jews and burn them I guess.

20 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

One of the funniest things about the GOP turning masks into a culture war thing is that like half their base probably already had a bunch of masks at home with the punisher logo on them, or were otherwise “tacticool,” and couldn’t wait for an excuse to wear them in public. But Trump thought he’d look like a pussy if he wore a mask, so now they’ve got to pretend masks are for gay liberal Jews and burn them I guess.

Yea, at a minimum most of the tactical nerds probably have neck gaiters.  They finally have the chance to wear it in public and not come off like a complete douche.  Maybe that's the problem, if they cant be called a douche for it, they don't want it.  

19 hours ago, otisdog said:

Glad to  I've in the commie county of Los Angeles, where the nazis require you to wear a  mask...

Much very good? Not sure I'm understanding your sentence structure or your history of political and economic systems.

On 5/24/2020 at 11:44 AM, Wanker Bob said:

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them?fbclid=IwAR18pd1gzZQB-MtBtulr3Pgu28Y0eF1xThqelwpuD7EoJEFq41jDZAl_QoI

Anyting indoor with recirculated air systems we'll make the six foot boundary moot because it can infect at a high percentage anyone that's down wind of the circulated air patterns from an infected even if asymptomatic and just breathing. The volume of air in the place plus the number of people plus the duration of time spent in the place directly correlates to the risk of infection. Lower air volume, more people, longer time = higher infection rates. 

Outdoors it seems more like as long as people aren't right in your face or you're not touching your face the risk should be pretty low. 

it's insane this information hasn't gotten out to everybody by now as this isn't something new. Science has known how respiratory illnesses travel for a very long time now. 

That article someone linked last week was great at explaining this.  Not only is airflow part of the equation, but time of exposure.  You have to be exposed to any concentration an amount of time relative to that concentration.  That's why wearing the masks inside businesses is a courtesy towards those who have to work in those confined spaces with low air turnover.  So on one hand you have people  praising these front line workers and on the other hand condemning them because wearing a mask impinges on their freedom.   

15 hours ago, otisdog said:

Foosters& Longhorn, try again....

I sensed some tongue in cheek humor in the use of nazis, otisdog, was i wrong?

Meanwhile out in rural Texas, everything is basically open again.  It was never going to really get into the rural areas, and they went along with it for a while, the schools and distancing.  But now it's back to acting like those fools on the redneck riviera.    I went to the local Brookshire Bros and this trumpkin I know told me how sad it was I was wearing a mask.   The only reason I could be wearing one would be to try to maintain the hysteria of the hoax.  I just shook my head and moved on.   If he'd coughed on me though, i think i would have decked him.  Then washed my hands for a half hour.

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

this trumpkin I know told me how sad it was I was wearing a mask.

I'm waiting for this to happen to me.  My response will be a simple "how in the fuck does it affect you?  Mind your fucking business"

It affects them because deep inside they have doubt about their not wearing.  So when they see you, it's easier to try to shame you down to their level of not self protecting than it is to rise to yours.  It's like they can't be comfortable with anyone being or thinking different than they do.   I guess maybe even subconsciously JimBob figures if everyone feels and does as JimBob does, then no one has a chance to be smarter than JimBob.   Herd mentality.  At least that's what i figure.   

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Much very good? Not sure I'm understanding your sentence structure or your history of political and economic systems.

I think his phone autocorrected live into I've.  

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Had to go to Home Depot (Brodie) yesterday because of a leaking toilet. It was fairly crowded, but I only saw ONE person without a mask. And very few people were shopping with someone else (one family, a few couples). Very encouraging. One of the rare times I can say I’m truly happy that I live in Austin

Jon Stewart What GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

I'm waiting for this to happen to me.  My response will be a simple "how in the fuck does it affect you?  Mind your fucking business"

Family friend witnessed an unmasked Trumpkin walk into a grocery store yesterday and immediately yell “what are you looking at?!” to a masked old lady who hadn’t said a word.

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Family friend witnessed an unmasked Trumpkin walk into a grocery store yesterday and immediately yell “what are you looking at?!” to a masked old lady who hadn’t said a word.

Man those trumpkins are such alphas. I'm assuming there were no infants or toddlers they could bow up to?

Snowflakes.

55 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

That article someone linked last week was great at explaining this.  Not only is airflow part of the equation, but time of exposure.  You have to be exposed to any concentration an amount of time relative to that concentration.  That's why wearing the masks inside businesses is a courtesy towards those who have to work in those confined spaces with low air turnover.  So on one hand you have people  praising these front line workers and on the other hand condemning them because wearing a mask impinges on their freedom.   

I sensed some tongue in cheek humor in the use of nazis, otisdog, was i wrong?

You were not...was a bit obscure for some.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

true...I corrected it, then didn't save the correct.

Edited by otisdog

I like wearing my mask because it proves I’m better than the idiots.  I don’t think I’m ever going mask less in confined public spaces again.  No sarcasm. 

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

win-win

I’m going to get me a six-shooter for full effect.

48 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

10 minutes ago, otisdog said:

You were not...was a bit obscure for some.

Ah, that explains; for some reason, autocorrect didn't occur to me.

Yes, between the confusion over the first few words, it went whoosh over my head.

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

win-win

It really goes great with my double finger pistols move and snappy catchphrase "Suck on bleach, baby dick!" *pew! pew!*

Swingers Club had full mask compliance last night. 
Not so good with social distancing; plus some handcuffs.  

you would think the idiots who go on about wild conspiracies and deep State and the government trying to take away their freedoms would relish the opportunity to walk around anonymously with their face fully covered and the government camera systems with the fancy face recognition software unable to track them. 

But no, they want to risk death and be giant assholes so they can protest the right for the government to track them. 

I haven't seen any trumpkin BS aggression yet but I don't live in the sticks and I'm a 32 yr old 6'1" 215 with less than 10 percent body fat so not in the coward's target demographic for fuckery. 

you would think the idiots who go on about wild conspiracies and deep State and the government trying to take away their freedoms would relish the opportunity to walk around anonymously with their face fully covered and the government camera systems with the fancy face recognition software unable to track them. 
But no, they want to risk death and be giant assholes so they can protest the right for the government to track them. 
I haven't seen any trumpkin BS aggression yet but I don't live in the sticks and I'm a 32 yr old 6'1" 215 with less than 10 percent body fat so not in the coward's target demographic for fuckery. 
Humblebrag a little forced, but I'll allow it. 5/10.

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
24 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Read more  

Humblebrag a little forced, but I'll allow it. 5/10.

I'm nowhere near rich so I needed some way to get some hot ass. 

On 5/24/2020 at 11:35 AM, mchookem said:

basically, we are just headed for an 'every man for himself' approach.

if you're lucky you live somewhere where the majority of people realize covid didn't magically disappear and it's best for everyone if you still take reasonable precautions. i am happy to live in Austin right now. 

The last 2 days, Travis County had their lowest daily hospitalizations in the last 3 weeks.  I have been disappointed with how much traffic and activity I have seen the last month, but that stat is very encouraging to me.

2 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

I went to the local Brookshire Bros and this trumpkin I know told me how sad it was I was wearing a mask.   

People are dicks; that's not going to change.  The few times I've worn a mask in public where someone mask-less glared at me or whatnot I just start a fake cough attack and they avert their eyes, or even start to move away from me.

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

The last 2 days, Travis County had their lowest daily hospitalizations in the last 3 weeks.  I have been disappointed with how much traffic and activity I have seen the last month, but that stat is very encouraging to me.

Yeah me too. 

wonder why Hugo wasn’t posting tweets about it here as part of his active measures though. 

18 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Yup 2 consecutive days of drop to 83 and 82 but back up to 90 for the 25th according to the Travis County dashboard (if I read it correctly).  it will probably stay in that region (80-90ish) until there is a spike or it begins to drop to which I think the former is much more likely.

16 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah me too. 

wonder why Hugo wasn’t posting tweets about it here as part of his active measures though. 

??

Posted (edited)

I spent the glorious weekend on the Frio. Nary a mask in sight. No social distancing. No fucks given by anyone. My daughter mentioned to one of her friends about the lack of social distancing on the bus to take tubers to the drop off site, one lady reponds, "what, that fake virus bullshit?" 

Talking to people from Dallas, Houston and many places from Texas, it sounds like Austin is the only place in the state that takes this shit seriously. The rest of the state seems like they couldn't give a fuck.

Which leads me to the question, why the fuck are we going through the motions when no one in the state seems to give a shit. All those assholes will also soon visit Austin this summer. At this point, we're just whistling past the graveyard.

Edited by crash_davis

17 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah me too. 

Give it a couple of weeks. Also, check back in September.

But we're probably all good. It's cool.

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Give it a couple of weeks. Also, check back in September.

But we're probably all good. It's cool.

You must be a real blast to be around at happy hour. 

20 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I like wearing my mask because it proves I’m better than the idiots.  I don’t think I’m ever going mask less in confined public spaces again.  No sarcasm. 

No shit 

19 hours ago, tantric superman said:

I like wearing my mask because it allows me to talk like Bane.

"You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted it. I was born in it. Molded by it. You ain't dark, bitch. I'm dark af."

Exact quote

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

I spent the glorious weekend on the Frio. Nary a mask in sight. No social distancing. No fucks given by anyone. My daughter mentioned to one of her friends about the lack of social distancing on the bus to take tubers to the drop off site, one lady reponds, "what, that fake virus bullshit?" 

Talking to people from Dallas, Houston and many places from Texas, it sounds like Austin is the only place in the state that takes this shit seriously. The rest of the state seems like they couldn't give a fuck.

Which leads me to the question, why the fuck are we going through the motions when no one in the state seems to give a shit. All those assholes will also soon visit Austin this summer. At this point, we're just whistling past the graveyard.

I really hope a bunch of people don't visit Austin this summer.  We're doing on okay job here and I'd like it to stay that way.  I mean, we could use the hotel and bar revenue, but summer is never really a big economic draw for Austin.  Even our convention business is traditionally really slow in July & August.  Our tourism/convention/event/sports dollars come Sept. 1st-Dec. 1st. and then Feb. 1st-Jul. 1st.  Now bars could use a nice jolt in July but that ain't gonna save them.

Plus, in all seriousness---there's really nothing going on in Austin in summer proper.  Even during a non Covid summer, there's no festivals, no sports (other than RRE), usually some good one-off concerts, but that's about it.  Most people nostalgic for Austin that come in the summer do the same thing either rent a boat on Lake Travis or go swimming at Barton Springs and then spend the rest of the visit bitching about how all their favorite restaurants are gone.  I'll save them all the trouble of traveling here to our sheepish masked community, I'll send you a newsletter of everything you loved that's now gone.  Levity aside, there's nothing going on in Austin this summer.  We're gonna be the last city to allow concerts 'n shit this summer.  Stay home or go tubing.  

Edited by Lobo

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

I really hope a bunch of people visit Austin this summer.  We're doing on okay job here and I'd like it to stay that way.  Plus, in all seriousness---there's really nothing going on in Austin in summer proper.  Even during a non Covid summer, there's no festivals, no sports (other than RRE), usually some good one-off concerts, but that's about it.  Most people nostalgic for Austin that come in the summer do the same thing either rent a boat on Lake Travis or go swimming at Barton Springs and then spend the rest of the visit bitching about how all their favorite restaurants are gone.  I'll save them all the trouble of traveling here to our sheepish masked community, I'll send you a newsletter of everything you loved that's now gone.  Levity aside, there's nothing going on in Austin this summer.  We're gonna be the last city to allow concerts 'n shit this summer.  Stay home or go tubing.  

People visit Austin because their hometowns suck. Most hotels are booked to capacity on most summer weekends, no events or concerts needed. That shit will happen again this summer. They'll go to bars, they'll got to restaurants, they'll hang out with other locals. Shit will get spread here regardless of how well we try to protect ourselves. At this point, I'm with the fuck it crowd. No sense for us to be diligent when 90% of the rest of the state are doing their damndest to spread the shit. We can't build a wall.

The white walkers and the army of the dead are coming.

I guess I never spend much time downtown in the summer, didn't realize it was so chalk full.  Great, tourists fucking up ratios.  

Only upside is that if we don’t see a spike within 3 weeks then we probably won’t see one at all until fall.  So if we end June without Texas being a major hotspot then July - Sep should be all good, and we’ll be rolling the dice in Oct/Nov if there’s not an established treatment or better test/trace in place.  Dec-Feb could be really ugly given the summer might be giving everyone a false sense of security.

18 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Only upside is that if we don’t see a spike within 3 weeks then we probably won’t see one at all until fall.  So if we end June without Texas being a major hotspot then July - Sep should be all good, and we’ll be rolling the dice in Oct/Nov if there’s not an established treatment or better test/trace in place.  Dec-Feb could be really ugly given the summer might be giving everyone a false sense of security.

I agree with this, especially the short term read.

Why does everyone take a second wave for granted.  I know that a bunch of people point to Spanish Flu, but the influenza virus has certain characteristics that make it highly seasonal. Why should we assume that a second wave will happen.  I think that we should be prepared for the possibility, but it seems like this is almost taken as gospel at this point. 

14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Why does everyone take a second wave for granted.  I know that a bunch of people point to Spanish Flu, but the influenza virus has certain characteristics that make it highly seasonal. Why should we assume that a second wave will happen.  I think that we should be prepared for the possibility, but it seems like this is almost taken as gospel at this point. 

I think the % that are still open to initial infection, its transmissibility, and the more people are indoors for longer periods once it gets colder/wetter makes it very likely.  Plus you know, johnny freedom saying fuck masks and its all fake.  

Got the "it's just like the flu!" from a customer today.  He was from Murfreesboro, TN.

I agree that we won't really know until the later part of the year.

Confluence of factors indicate a possible resurgence in the fall: The virus is here and continues to spread, relaxing restrictions and changed behavior as the summer goes on, more people inside once the fall rolls around, schools reopened, possible seasonality based on other respiratory viruses... People's behavior is probably the single biggest thing, but I think it'd be irresponsible not to plan on it coming back. If it somehow doesn't, then hooray.

mpu

Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion