Cops break into EMT’s apartment and kill her while searching for a suspect they already had in custody

Buzzrock

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I also remember a story about a no-knock raid resulting in a flash grenade blowing up in a baby's crib a few years back, leaving the baby with 2nd or 3rd degree burns. That didn't get much attention either outside of maybe Georgia, or Tennessee, or where ever it took place. Wrong door no-knock raids seem like the most flagrant of violations. You'd think these types of stories would get more attention than almost any other. I guess the lack of video corroboration prevents it from being an issue that really catches fire.

I remember that one. They went to the correct address iirc, but hadn’t done any forward recon and didn’t know that there was family visiting and staying with them. The response to the baby getting burned was hey we didn’t know there was a baby in there. 
You cannot convince me that no knock raids are safer for anyone, it’s police playing delta force for kicks. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

The media don't create national outrage like this, it grows organically and the media chase after it. 

This is just so false it's almost comedic.

Please, just stop.  You're a smart dude WildCat, and that's not a backhanded compliment.  

This is just denial, dishonesty, of a mix of both.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 2

No, it's the truth. The media can't create outrage if they are reporting facts yet that's whom people want to blame. It's intellectual laziness by people who need some amorphous entity to blame. Media entities who lie? Yes, they can be blamed for creating outrage, otherwise it's impossible.

If people hear facts and get outraged then the person reporting the facts did not create the outrage.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

No, it's the truth. The media can't create outrage if they are reporting facts yet that's whom people want to blame. It's intellectual laziness by people who need some amorphous entity to blame. Media entities who lie? Yes, they can be blamed for creating outrage, otherwise it's impossible.

If people hear facts and get outraged then the person reporting the facts did not create the outrage.

They shouldn't show stuff that makes me mad because then I'll be mad and it's their fault I'm mad

neI1EZU.gif

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I can't really tell, but this seems like you are trying  make out the media to be completely altruistic and never guilty of sensationalizing headlines by presenting statistics and stories on the most shocking manner in an effort to draw in more readers/viewers.

Do you really think that the media just reports facts in an unbiased manner?

Here is a headline from today's Washington Post:

Police promised reforms. They still fatally shoot nearly 1,000 people every year.

Does that appear unbiased, unprejudiced? Not inflammatory in any way? Not meant to shock?

And if were were to dig into every one of those 1000 deaths, what percentage would be justified? Or are we now saying that every single time a cop kills someone they were racist and wrong?

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that cops are great and that I fully support them. I think I have posts on this very thread that show my cards on how I feel about this. But on the specific notion of the media only reporting facts and the people just getting angry about them, that is amazingly incorrect.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

I can't really tell, but this seems like you are trying  make out the media to be completely altruistic and never guilty of sensationalizing headlines by presenting statistics and stories on the most shocking manner in an effort to draw in more readers/viewers.

Do you really think that the media just reports facts in an unbiased manner?

7 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Police promised reforms. They still fatally shoot nearly 1,000 people every year.

Does that appear unbiased, unprejudiced? Not inflammatory in any way? Not meant to shock?

And if were were to dig into every one of those 1000 deaths, what percentage would be justified? Or are we now saying that every single time a cop kills someone they were racist and wrong?

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that cops are great and that I fully support them. I think I have posts on this very thread that show my cards on how I feel about this. But on the specific notion of the media only reporting facts and the people just getting angry about them, that is amazingly incorrect.

I am saying that if the facts outrage you then the facts outraged you, not the person who told you the facts. And if you get outraged then it's not the messenger's fault.

If you're smart enough to dig into the facts and figure out if you should be outraged then you're a step ahead. If you're dumb enough that the attitude of the messenger convinces you of something then that's not the messenger's fault.

But even more relevantly, this is 2020. The traditional media is still the bogeyman for all the people who want the intellectually easy way out. Meanwhile you probably read 500 memes or posts a day from regular people in their capacity as private citizens that are more provocative than your example here. You think "the media" is the problem? The media stokes FAR less outrage these days than morons and instigators on social media.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Your point is correct overall. This particular instance simply cannot be blamed on the media. The outrage over this instance clearly stemmed from the savage brutality of the murder not from the way it was covered by media. I don’t know why Tony Timpa didn’t spark national outrage. I tend to think it sparked plenty of outrage from those of us paying attention. The same people who are bringing up Tony Timpa now are, generally not always, people who didn’t care about Tony Timpa then and don’t care about George Floyd now. They are trying obfuscate the discussion.

Here is another headline today from ABCNews:

Texas sees record uptick in COVID-19 cases as protests continue

Dallas County has seen record numbers two days in a row.

Now, here are two quotes from the article:

"We're seeing the numbers increasing. They're not increasing exponentially, but they're increasing linearly in time with the same steady pace," said Dr. David Persse, medical director for the Houston Fire Department.

"If it stays at this, this sort of same rate of increase, then I definitely won't say you can blame the protests," Persse said. "If anything, it's going to be the reopening of society and people becoming fatigued, if you will, with the precautions we've asked them to take.

The headline is a means to sensationalize PROTESTS!!! COVID!!!! But then if you read all the way through, the article contradicts the headline.

Yes, I am smart enough to dig into the facts, but why should I have to continually find that the actual premise of any article is not what they put in the headline? The outrage is at the shock value attempts to drive readership rather than providing unbiased news.

18 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

The headline is a means to sensationalize PROTESTS!!! COVID!!!! But then if you read all the way through, the article contradicts the headline.

Yes, I am smart enough to dig into the facts, but why should I have to continually find that the actual premise of any article is not what they put in the headline? The outrage is at the shock value attempts to drive readership rather than providing unbiased news.

I think you’re reaching pretty hard with that one. The headline makes no attempt to tie the increases to protests in a cause and effect way as you are implying. The point I got from the headline was that covid continues to rise but people are protesting anyway. Not that protests are causing the increase.

Edit: I wish you would have linked the entire article because you are right they did tie them together. And that’s kinda the point though. We can interpret that headline two completely different ways. It isn’t the media’s fault that people don’t read the context of the article.

Edited by hobbes2702

26 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Who provided the all caps and exclamation marks? The media or you? That headline is not sensational at all except to those who are ironically looking to be outraged about outrage. 

The question of protests possibly leading to an increase in novel coronavirus infections is a common one right now. Then the story reports. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Bullshit Huck.  Lord.

Media can choose and DO choose what and what not to cover over and over and over again.  They, in fact, create/inflate outrage all of the time.    CNN does it, Fox does it, MSNBC does it,  ABC, NBC, CBS, all of them.  They absolutely are in the business of creating opinion and you know it, but are too dug in to admit it here.

Hell, even Brisket said the other day that CNN was unwatchable since it had become FOX in the other direction when we discussed their "lies of omission".  All of the other majors operate the same way.  All of them.

Watch that Tony Timpa video.  I mean, really, start to finish.  Wilcat claimed, "Oh, CNN (and some other outlet) covered it.  Oh, I'm sure they mentioned it.  I'm sure there was an article or two on it.  But did it lead with Wolf, or Tapper, or Maddow, or Erin saying, "What you are about to watch is appalling!", etc etc.  Was it seasoned and primed by the networks with moral outrage and anger?  Was it on deck to be watched by audiences for consecutive shows with different talent headlining each show.  Were there mutiple articles discussing each facet, every detail, every minute of Tony's demise as he was suffocated by the laughing LEOs burying their knees into him?  If you answer "yes", you're a liar, because it wasn't.

And that's not even touching on society's part in this, the ones that are aware and choose to bemoan one cop murder while ignoring the other.  It's the same shitty ill of society, again, in the opposite direction.

Wow, 

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The media creates the headlines. Unfortunately, people are fucking lazy, and sometimes, that is all they see. Critical thinking and analysis is something may Amsricans are really poor at.

Yes.

I'll bet I could sit Huck and Wildcat down in front of FOX for 3 hours and it'd be all they could do not to have their heads explode over the "facts" they chose to report vs the facts they didn't in order to steer sentiment.  That'd take all of about maybe 3 minutes.

And they'd be right to do so.

The disingenuous nature of pretending that their liberal leaning counterparts don't do exactly the same thing is flat out stunning.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Orange&White said:

But on the specific notion of the media only reporting facts and the people just getting angry about them, that is amazingly incorrect.

I couldn't make the same assertion backstage at a Chuck Todd production without inciting raucous laughter.

That this was even trotted out here is jaw dropping.

Edited by Cajun

6 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Your point is correct overall. This particular instance simply cannot be blamed on the media. The outrage over this instance clearly stemmed from the savage brutality of the murder not from the way it was covered by media. I don’t know why Tony Timpa didn’t spark national outrage. I tend to think it sparked plenty of outrage from those of us paying attention. The same people who are bringing up Tony Timpa now are, generally not always, people who didn’t care about Tony Timpa then and don’t care about George Floyd now. They are trying obfuscate the discussion.

I realize that you hedged here, but want to point out that if you think this is where I'm coming from then you haven't read any of my posting here or on the old sites (I know you have, so maybe I'm just responding to the royal "we" here).  The Tony Timpa video crushes my soul in the EXACT same way the George Floyd video does.  No difference  None.  It crushed it back when I first saw it and it crushes it now.  Hell, after I saw that Floyd video I was worried that I might get a visit from some HEROES after some of the stuff I posted here in response.  I'm not so attached to the pigment of Timpa's skin that I can't see that the dude was horribly tortured and murdered by a bunch of cackling, badged, sociopaths.  Period.  Same with George Floyd.  George Floyd's life was worth the same as mine, your's, everyone's.  So was Tony's.  No asterisks, no need to add anything to that.  No rationalizations or mental gymnastics to explain how "it's different", because it's not.  

I don't disagree that there are fuckers who are just throwing what happened to that guy out as clap back to those who have spoken up for Floyd, but you know there are a lot of us who aren't doing that.  There are a lot of us who see a special class , Cops/Heroes, holding themselves above others and lording their power over them via fear, imprisonment, death, etc.  One thing I know that Tony and George had in common is that the color of their blood was exactly the same.  Their mothers felt the same pain.  Their lungs, chest, internal organs all stopped the same way.  The torture was the same.  No special class, just dead.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I realize that you hedged here, but want to point out that if you think this is where I'm coming from then you haven't read any of my posting here or on the old sites.  The Tony Timpa video crushes my soul in the EXACT same way the George Floyd video does.  No difference  None.  It crushed it back when I first saw it and it crushes it now.  Hell, after I saw that Floyd video I was worried that I might get a visit from some HEROES after some of the stuff I posted here in response.  I'm not so attached to the pigment of Timpa's skin that I can't see that the dude was horribly tortured and murdered by a bunch of cackling, badged, sociopaths.  Period.  Same with George Floyd.  George Floyd's life was worth the same as mine, your's, everyone's.  So was Tony's.  No asterisks, no need to add anything to that.  No rationalizations or mental gymnastics to explain how "it's different", because it's not.  

I don't disagree that there are fuckers who are just throwing what happened to that guy out as clap back to those who have spoken up for Floyd, but you know there are a lot of us who aren't doing that.  There are a lot of us who see a special class , Cops/Heroes, holding themselves above others and lording their power over them via fear, imprisonment, death, etc.  One thing I know that Tony and George had in common is that the color of their blood was exactly the same.  Their mothers felt the same pain.  Their lungs, chest, internal organs all stopped the same way.  The torture was the same.  No special class, just dead.

I actually hedged specifically with you in mind because you are not part of that group that I’m talking about. I know your stances on police violence and your consistency on the subject. 

7 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I am saying that if the facts outrage you then the facts outraged you, not the person who told you the facts. And if you get outraged then it's not the messenger's fault.

If you're smart enough to dig into the facts and figure out if you should be outraged then you're a step ahead. If you're dumb enough that the attitude of the messenger convinces you of something then that's not the messenger's fault.

But even more relevantly, this is 2020. The traditional media is still the bogeyman for all the people who want the intellectually easy way out. Meanwhile you probably read 500 memes or posts a day from regular people in their capacity as private citizens that are more provocative than your example here. You think "the media" is the problem? The media stokes FAR less outrage these days than morons and instigators on social media.

Excellent point.

The morons and instigators also take a headline or snippet from a media source, take it one step (or more) further from the context and actual facts, and create more outrage and stupidity.  

Yet, because it's an MSM outlet that got (ab)used, it gets the blame.

It sickens me that some are using the Tony Timpa murder as if to say, "See, there's no racism!"  

Oh, there's racism amongst LEOs, and what is even more disturbing, as evidenced by Timpa, the Houston no-knock victims, Daniel Shaver, etc, is that in addition that that HUGE racial component there's another layer to the shit of an onion that is law enforcement in America today - that is that they have been made a class of untouchables with frightening power and clannish tendencies toward exercising that power over anyone they feel is a threat or worse, just has the bad fortune of crossing them on the wrong day of the week.

Much like someone who is really pissed off about George Floyd and sets about to do something about that gets lumped in with the shit-heals robbing Macy's in a Rolls Royce, sometimes those of us who operate from "in addition to" position get lumped in with the "it's either this or it's that/nothing to see here" crowd.

Hell, I'm guilty of it.  I assumed the other day, because of some his stances, that Brisket was down with CNN and their reporting of the "facts".  It wasn't an attack on him, it was just an incorrect assumption that I made and in true Brisket form, he let me know about it in a fair, but pointed way.  I was glad he did.  I'm just attempting to do something that resembles that here.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Excellent point.

The morons and instigators also take a headline or snippet from a media source, take it one step (or more) further from the context and actual facts, and create more outrage and stupidity.  

Yet, because it's an MSM outlet that got (ab)used, it gets the blame.

I know I brought it up, but remove the MSM aspect.  Just forget that part for a minute.

Watch the Timpa video and then watch the Floyd video.  Forget the politics, just watch them.

Whether it's MSM, social media, the barber shop, whatever, however the inequity between the outcry/outrage for one over the other arises, it's disturbing to me.  From what I can see, part of why both of those men are dead is because of the creation of a special class (HEROES).  Creating a new special class, which is part of the cause of that inequity, is concerning.  There's a vicious cycle brewing in there.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

happy to see the national US media covering the cops killing people finally. I believe it was mostly the local news or the Guardian in the old Bernard forums. only took some national level rioting during a pandemic to get the media to report on what is a really big fucking problem obviously. Well done media for joining the party finally

14 hours ago, Cajun said:

I know I brought it up, but remove the MSM aspect.  Just forget that part for a minute.

Watch the Timpa video and then watch the Floyd video.  Forget the politics, just watch them.

Whether it's MSM, social media, the barber shop, whatever, however the inequity between the outcry/outrage for one over the other arises, it's disturbing to me.  From what I can see, part of why both of those men are dead is because of the creation of a special class (HEROES).  Creating a new special class, which is part of the cause of that inequity, is concerning.  There's a vicious cycle brewing in there.

I view the police as a problem for everyone.  But because minorities get the shit end of the stick in almost everything, they get it from police, too.

The Timpa thing is just as horrible as any other.  What's wild about it is that I am a big airgun fan.  To a certain extent, I would expect cops to know the difference or be able to ascertain it rapidly.  And, as a white dude, I might expect the popo to accept my explanation without murdering me.  But that's my own myopia.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I view the police as a problem for everyone.  But because minorities get the shit end of the stick in almost everything, they get it from police, too.

Spot-on.  Cops will abuse anyone, lie on their reports about anyone, etc.  Not every cop 100% of the time, but they will at some point or another.  And then it gets to odds.  Your odds of having that shit happen to you as a generic white guy are higher than they should be.  If you're a generic black guy....quintuple those odds.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

The Timpa thing is just as horrible as any other.  What's wild about it is that I am a big airgun fan.  To a certain extent, I would expect cops to know the difference or be able to ascertain it rapidly.  And, as a white dude, I might expect the popo to accept my explanation without murdering me.  But that's my own myopia.

Twice, Tony Timpa was smothered/crushed/suffocated by the police up in Dallas while they giggled their asses off with his face pushed into the grass.  You literally hear him die.  He goes from talking, to struggling for breath, to death rattle, which the badged murderers pretended to think was "snoring".

You're thinking of the pest control guy (white as a twinkie and mayonnaise sandwich) who the cops ventalated in and Arizona hotel.  You know, the cops who got let off eventhough one of them had inscribed on his CAR-15 the words, "YOU'RE FUCKED!"

Then there's the video (that I can't find at the moment) of the white guy who ran into the Dallas area police department because he thought someone was trying to kill him. Dude was impaired, but unarmed and a black cop ended up killing him ala Floyd and Timpa.

This shit has a racial component, a big one, but that isn't the end all.  Not even close.  These HEROES have zero reservation killing anyone, irrespective of race

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Spot-on.  Cops will abuse anyone, lie on their reports about anyone, etc.  Not every cop 100% of the time, but they will at some point or another.  And then it gets to odds.  Your odds of having that shit happen to you as a generic white guy are higher than they should be.  If you're a generic black guy....quintuple those odds.

Your odds if they decide they just don't like you, irrespective of all other considerations, are 100%.

Not arguing, just adding to the thought.

54 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Twice, Tony Timpa was smothered/crushed/suffocated by the police up in Dallas while they giggled their asses off with his face pushed into the grass.  You literally hear him die.  He goes from talking, to struggling for breath, to death rattle, which the badged murderers pretended to think was "snoring".

You're thinking of the pest control guy (white as a twinkie and mayonnaise sandwich) who the cops ventalated in and Arizona hotel.  You know, the cops who got let off eventhough one of them had inscribed on his CAR-15 the words, "YOU'RE FUCKED!"

Then there's the video (that I can't find at the moment) of the white guy who ran into the Dallas area police department because he thought someone was trying to kill him. Dude was impaired, but unarmed and a black cop ended up killing him ala Floyd and Timpa.

This shit has a racial component, a big one, but that isn't the end all.  Not even close.  These HEROES have zero reservation killing anyone, irrespective of race

“He’s not dead right?”

Like the George Floyd video it should be required viewing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

There also a lot higher if you are a male.  And a lot higher than if you are younger.  Males make up 95+% of all police shootings.  Most of them are going be younger.

Don't even get me started on the special/different treatment women get vs men by LEOs.  Even when they've got the female criminal dead to rights, they pull off.  Cops, DAs, justice system, all of it is slanted toward taking it easy on women.

I've seen it right up close.

You wanna talk about how great our legal/justice system is?  Get in a nice, long, drawn out custody battle with a clinically diagnosed female sociopath and then get back to me.  It's like playing golf against someone getting 3 Mulligans per hole.  If I had done 1/10th the things she did I would be in prison, no questions asked.  I've had LEOs and attorneys tell me that.  Ugh!  Do what she did and it's, "Well, we don't want to get involved.  This is more of a civil matter...".  Man does the exact same thing and it's, "Get me some choppers, SWAT, and an MRAP on the DOUBLE!!!".

Sorry, rant on that over.  Touched a nerve JL.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Don't even get me started on the special/different treatment women get vs men by LEOs.  Even when they've got the female criminal dead to rights, they pull off.  Cops, DAs, justice system, all of it is slanted toward taking it easy on women.

I've seen it right up close.

You wanna talk about how great our legal/justice system is?  Get in a nice, long, drawn out custody battle with a clinically diagnosed female sociopath and then get back to me.  It's like playing golf against someone getting 3 Mulligans per hole.  If I had done 1/10th the things she did I would be in prison, no questions asked.  I've had LEOs and attorneys tell me that.  Ugh!  Do what she did and it's, "Well, we don't want to get involved.  This is more of a civil matter...".  Man does the exact same thing and it's, "Get me some choppers, SWAT, and an MRAP on the DOUBLE!!!".

Sorry, rant on that over.  Touched a nerve JL.

I saw a study once that equalizing for crime and prior criminal history, blacks get about 10% more time than whites.  And men get about 60% more time than women.

Here it is:

https://www.law.umich.edu/newsandinfo/features/Pages/starr_gender_disparities.aspx

If you're a criminal defendant, it may help—a lot—to be a woman. At least, that's what Prof. Sonja Starr's research on federal criminal cases suggests. Prof. Starr's recent paper, "Estimating Gender Disparities in Federal Criminal Cases," looks closely at a large dataset of federal cases, and reveals some significant findings. After controlling for the arrest offense, criminal history, and other prior characteristics, "men receive 63% longer sentences on average than women do," and "[w]omen are…twice as likely to avoid incarceration if convicted." This gender gap is about six times as large as the racial disparity that Prof. Starr found in another recent paper.

To be frank, after what I've seen and experienced, I'm surprised the study's conclusions aren't worse than even that.

I still remember a child therapist telling me what I was up against vying for custody of my daughter.  She said, "The odds are not good, even given all the things your ex has done".  Then she told me about a case she had just finished where the mother had burned the child with cigarettes for "not minding".   The dad was trying to get full custody.  This therapist was court appointed and advocated for the father to take over.  The judge ordered a temporary period of supervised visitation for the mother which, assuming she checked all boxes, would culminate in a return to her having primary custodianship.  

The judge's comment after making his ruling - "Calf goes with the cow".  I shit you not.  No jail time, no nothing except a little "supervision".

Now, imagine the father had done what that mother did.

Edited by Cajun

• 1 month later...

So there were rival militias that marched in Louisville this weekend.

This is the 3%ers:

spacer.png

This is the NFAC -Not Fucking Around Coalition

spacer.png

If they had clashed, my money is on the group calling themselves the "Not Fucking Around Coalition".

The 3%ers have about 100 pounds on the NFACers, but that makes them larger targets.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Read the account of that....including the fact that the officer who shot her wasn't interviewed until TWELVE DAYS LATER.

It's just infuriating.

29 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Read the account of that....including the fact that the officer who shot her wasn't interviewed until TWELVE DAYS LATER.

It's just infuriating.

I know it’s been said multiple times, but the system is broken.  Cops number one goal is to protect themselves.  Second goal is to have some “excitement” while doing it. 

Distant third is help well off people within their jurisdiction, because if they don’t do that the rich folks will yell at the politicians.  

Edited by Xian

Every other case seems to have gotten so much attention, protests, etc. This one doesn’t seem to be grabbing people the same way. I don’t endorse vandalism and setting shit on fire and whatnot, but man I would understand it in Louisville.

Maybe I’m missing something.

Just now, Buzzrock said:

Every other case seems to have gotten so much attention, protests, etc. This one doesn’t seem to be grabbing people the same way. I don’t endorse vandalism and setting shit on fire and whatnot, but man I would understand it in Louisville.

Maybe I’m missing something.

You are.  There have been ongoing protests in Louisville, and her name is one of the first ones chanted at many BLM rallies.  There's lots of attention.

Right you are. I haven’t been keeping tabs on it as closely lately.

https://amp.courier-journal.com/amp/5495839002

Here’s what I don’t get: they fired one of the officers who opened fire into the apartment of an innocent woman, but they didn’t arrest him.

I mean come on. At least arrest that guy while you do your investigation.

On 6/9/2020 at 3:27 PM, Cajun said:

You are correct.

• Like 1