Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Aunt Jemima to remove image from packaging and rename brand

The Aunt Jemima brand of syrup and pancake mix will get a new name and image, Quaker Oats announced Wednesday, saying the company recognizes that "Aunt Jemima's origins are based on a racial stereotype."

The 130-year-old brand features a Black woman named Aunt Jemima, who was originally dressed as a minstrel character.

The picture has changed over time, and in recent years Quaker removed the “mammy” kerchief from the character to blunt growing criticism that the brand perpetuated a racist stereotype that dated to the days of slavery. But Quaker, a subsidiary of PepsiCo, said removing the image and name is part of an effort by the company “to make progress toward racial equality.”

“We recognize Aunt Jemima’s origins are based on a racial stereotype," Kristin Kroepfl, vice president and chief marketing officer of Quaker Foods North America, said in a press release. “As we work to make progress toward racial equality through several initiatives, we also must take a hard look at our portfolio of brands and ensure they reflect our values and meet our consumers’ expectations."

Kroepfl said the company has worked to "update" the brand to be "appropriate and respectful" but it realized the changes were insufficient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RPM said:

Aunt Jemima to remove image from packaging and rename brand

The Aunt Jemima brand of syrup and pancake mix will get a new name and image, Quaker Oats announced Wednesday, saying the company recognizes that "Aunt Jemima's origins are based on a racial stereotype."

The 130-year-old brand features a Black woman named Aunt Jemima, who was originally dressed as a minstrel character.

The picture has changed over time, and in recent years Quaker removed the “mammy” kerchief from the character to blunt growing criticism that the brand perpetuated a racist stereotype that dated to the days of slavery. But Quaker, a subsidiary of PepsiCo, said removing the image and name is part of an effort by the company “to make progress toward racial equality.”

“We recognize Aunt Jemima’s origins are based on a racial stereotype," Kristin Kroepfl, vice president and chief marketing officer of Quaker Foods North America, said in a press release. “As we work to make progress toward racial equality through several initiatives, we also must take a hard look at our portfolio of brands and ensure they reflect our values and meet our consumers’ expectations."

Kroepfl said the company has worked to "update" the brand to be "appropriate and respectful" but it realized the changes were insufficient.

RepulsiveOptimalArawana-max-1mb.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From a week ago:

 

https://www.theonion.com/quaker-oats-replaces-historically-racist-aunt-jemima-ma-1844015205?utm_campaign=TheOnion&utm_content=1592359156&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=twitter

 

EardAtjWkAUgsBF?format=jpg&name=large

 

Quote

In response to nationwide protests regarding police brutality and racial discrimination, food conglomerate Quaker Oats announced Friday that after 130 years, it would replace its historically racist Aunt Jemima mascot with a black female lawyer who enjoys pancakes from time to time. “The time has come to replace Jemima, a problematic and stereotypical character that originated in minstrel shows, with Sheila, the public defender of cultivated tastes who eats pancakes on occasion, in addition to a variety of other foods,” said Quaker spokesperson Aaron Parshley, who explained that the former Aunt Jemima brand of syrups and pancake mixes would now bear a logo depicting an African American woman who wears a suit, carries a briefcase, and isn’t an aunt per se, though she is godmother to the child of a dear friend she met as an undergraduate at Dartmouth College. “Our new mascot is based on several real-life black women who are lawyers and eat pancakes some mornings when they aren’t too busy litigating on behalf of the disadvantaged. While Sheila does enjoy our extended line of breakfast foods, that is only one small facet of her rich and complex identity as a human being: Sheila also speaks fluent Italian, likes U2, is bisexual, and enjoys cross-country skiing. Let us make it clear that Sheila never serves the pancakes herself, but now and then goes to a diner near the courthouse where waitresses and waiters of a variety of races serve them to her.” At press time, Mars Inc. announced it would follow suit by replacing the mascot of its Uncle Ben’s brand with a black engineering graduate student.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

First, the Land O Lakes Native American and now this? What's next? The Belgians used to be slave owners. We should get rid of Belgian Waffles! /Football thread slippery sloper

Anyone remember the housekeeper character from Tom & Jerry? She's been changed to make her less of a racist depiction. I'm curious if they also removed the blackface depictions from past cartoons?

Edited by mdmost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First Aunt Jemina, now Uncle Ben's

A second iconic brand plans to change its brand image in the wake of renewed calls for racial equality. 

Hours after Quaker Oats said it would retire Aunt Jemina from packaging on its brand of syrup and pancake mixes because it's "based on a racial stereotype," the owner of Uncle Ben's rice announced it planned to make changes.

"As a global brand, we know we have a responsibility to take a stand in helping to put an end to racial bias and injustices," the Mars-owned brand said in a statement. "As we listen to the voices of consumers, especially in the Black community, and to the voices of our Associates worldwide, we recognize that now is the right time to evolve the Uncle Ben’s brand, including its visual brand identity, which we will do."

The company said it didn't yet know "what the exact changes or timing will be, but we are evaluating all possibilities."

"Racism has no place in society. We stand in solidarity with the Black community, our Associates and our partners in the fight for social justice," Mars statement continued. "We know to make the systemic change needed, it’s going to take a collective effort from all of us – individuals, communities and organizations of all sizes around the world."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

America just can't handle successful people of color.

Edited by DixonHur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mdmost said:

First, the Land O Lakes Native American and now this? What's next? The Belgians used to be slave owners. We should get rid of Belgian Waffles! /Football thread slippery sloper

They get rid of St. Pauli Girl and I'm gonna get pissed.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5knaZXxQFxhNu7X32GkF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Besides the fact that they were obvious racist caricatures, how many people even registered what the selling points of those stereotypes are for the non-old demographic? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will JIF become GIF in honor of George Washington Carver?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The Belgians used to be slave owners. We should get rid of Belgian Waffles! /Football thread slippery sloper

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of this pales in comparison to the fact that I can't buy a twelve pack of individual fritos and get a frito bandito eraser. 

These fuckers were like hitting the mother load, circa 1969.

11951339_702647289837144_779666604855910

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

 

Bearded white guy offering his political opinions from his car? I can tell you what he's saying without even watching. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
First, the Land O Lakes Native American and now this? What's next? The Belgians used to be slave owners. We should get rid of Belgian Waffles! /Football thread slippery sloper


For some slippery slope, Go check out @JoshThompson87’s Twitter timeline. He wants Coon Cheese rebranded. Coon was the “inventor’s” last name. Doesn’t matter, woke to insensitivity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Washington Redskins should be keeping a low profile if they want to keep their name. If the NFL is getting woke, the Redskins name doesn't have long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we need a moratorium on white men until we figure out what’s wrong with them.

1bc2fac6eb8d13f3f0a1f430f65d36fa.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any and all branding based on humans should just be abolished. No need for it. Get rid of it all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In fact, while we're at it, let's abolish all advertising 100 percent. 

The world will be a better place

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was this toothpaste in Southeast Asia... google "racist toothpaste". It'll blow your mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The Washington Redskins should be keeping a low profile if they want to keep their name. If the NFL is getting woke, the Redskins name doesn't have long. 

Given recent history, the Cowboys could be on the clock as well.  

Good thing Sambo's is pretty much extinct now sans perhaps 1 left in California. 

#TeamMrs.Buttersworth

Edited by Underdog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ajax said:

There was this toothpaste in Southeast Asia... google "racist toothpaste". It'll blow your mind.

darkie.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=640&h=

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

All of this pales in comparison to the fact that I can't buy a twelve pack of individual fritos and get a frito bandito eraser. 

These fuckers were like hitting the mother load, circa 1969.

11951339_702647289837144_779666604855910

Had an art teacher in college who was extremely proud to have had a large part in developing the image of frito bandito

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Any and all branding based on humans should just be abolished. No need for it. Get rid of it all

Frogs and Kittens are statistically the safest branding instruments. Roaches are considered bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

All of this pales in comparison to the fact that I can't buy a twelve pack of individual fritos and get a frito bandito eraser. 

These fuckers were like hitting the mother load, circa 1969.

11951339_702647289837144_779666604855910

When I was a kid I used to sing his song all the time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, ajax said:

There was this toothpaste in Southeast Asia... google "racist toothpaste". It'll blow your mind.

Darkie, amiright?  Ooops, should have scrolled another post or two before jumping the gun.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

 

Brent is gonna make a million dollars selling that shirt.  The cough at the end always gets me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Given recent history, the Cowboys could be on the clock as well.  

Good thing Sambo's is pretty much extinct now sans perhaps 1 left in California. 

#TeamMrs.Buttersworth

The last Sambos just changed their name once shit started getting set on fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I've always been team Log Cabin when it comes to mass produced syrups.

 

I go with this one.

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RPM said:

When I was a kid I used to sing his song all the time.

 

Wow they actually threw the line "you must not offend" into an extremely offensive advertisement. Talk about a slap in the face

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben's were high dollar brands when I was a kid. They still are. If we got fancy we used Bisquick, otherwise it was from scratch Martha White or Gladiola flour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wanker Bob said:

Wow they actually threw the line "you must not offend" into an extremely offensive advertisement. Talk about a slap in the face

They were ahead of their time. They wanted reparations and social justice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RPM said:

Will JIF become GIF in honor of George Washington Carver?

I thought it was a hard G.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, topochico said:

As a kid, I was always a fan of Mrs. Butterworth's 

They’re next. Butterfly McQueen from Gone With The Wind was the model for the bottle. 
 

Edited by TonyTexas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, topochico said:

As a kid, I was always a fan of Mrs. Butterworth's 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who’s that lady on the syrup commercial?

Aunt Jamima??

Well it ain’t your daddy neither!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RPM said:

First Aunt Jemina, now Uncle Ben's

A second iconic brand plans to change its brand image in the wake of renewed calls for racial equality. 

Hours after Quaker Oats said it would retire Aunt Jemina from packaging on its brand of syrup and pancake mixes because it's "based on a racial stereotype," the owner of Uncle Ben's rice announced it planned to make changes.

"As a global brand, we know we have a responsibility to take a stand in helping to put an end to racial bias and injustices," the Mars-owned brand said in a statement. "As we listen to the voices of consumers, especially in the Black community, and to the voices of our Associates worldwide, we recognize that now is the right time to evolve the Uncle Ben’s brand, including its visual brand identity, which we will do."

The company said it didn't yet know "what the exact changes or timing will be, but we are evaluating all possibilities."

"Racism has no place in society. We stand in solidarity with the Black community, our Associates and our partners in the fight for social justice," Mars statement continued. "We know to make the systemic change needed, it’s going to take a collective effort from all of us – individuals, communities and organizations of all sizes around the world."

mahatma rice is next

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, elfenix said:

mahatma rice is next

They haven't figured out that one yet. The package is red, white and blue. (but mostly white)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I think we need a moratorium on white men until we figure out what’s wrong with them.

1bc2fac6eb8d13f3f0a1f430f65d36fa.jpg

Come again...a goddamm syrup, really?

let me guess, you learned not to hate wood houses because sometimes y’all bought log cabin..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...