Things you really just don't get...

immortal13

i dont know why people are so vehemently opposed to windfarms.

like yeah, i wouldnt want to see a bunch of turbines plopped in the middle of the grand canyon.  but they're usually plopped in quite unspectacular locations, and they themselves are clean and modern looking.  unlike south austin's mom, its not the ugliest thing in the world.

oh, and free fucking energy.  (generatively speaking)

Because of the Wind Cancer, duh!  

You ever read any of the unbiased reports about cancer clusters occurring near transformer lines or nuclear power plants or even certain kinds of hydroelectric damns?  Wind Cancer is real and Dr. Sitarides has been warning us about the dangers of WIND cancer for over 20 years.  no CR, because we can all agree that clinically trained dermatologists need support.

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

i dont know why people are so vehemently opposed to windfarms.

like yeah, i wouldnt want to see a bunch of turbines plopped in the middle of the grand canyon.  but they're usually plopped in quite unspectacular locations, and they themselves are clean and modern looking.  unlike south austin's mom, its not the ugliest thing in the world.

oh, and free fucking energy.  (generatively speaking)

Mainly because they are self important cunts who like to bitch and smell their own farts.  Wind farms threaten that somehow...

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

I don’t get why anyone would drive an expensive car. It’s like a sign saying “break into me/steal me/follow me home & burglarize me because I have money/ rob me when I get out”. Maybe it’s the hood rat in me. 

Pretty much.  

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

I don’t get why anyone would drive an expensive car. It’s like a sign saying “break into me/steal me/follow me home & burglarize me because I have money/ rob me when I get out”. Maybe it’s the hood rat in me. 

Sorry you’re a broke ass mofo.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It's the guys that drive cars like Lambos and shit in Houston that get me.  I'd always be worried that someone will either steal it or fuck with it, and if you hit one of Houston's gaping potholes it probably does about $10 grand in damages.

I think those super cars look really kind of silly on the streets juxtaposed to normal cars.  Never been a fan of them.

Hipster shoes that look just like work boots but are 2x the cost and far less comfortable. $180 today gets you legit workshoes with cushioned soles and everything. They're as comfortable as Sketchers. You wanna dress like a lumberjack. OK. Fine. So why not wear the actual shoes a lumberjack wears?
c82f1b78420b99453f9845bd7e5d04f8.jpga211a27305c294ea9c4bdfbca9a51f9c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Hipster shoes that look just like work boots but are 2x the cost and far less comfortable. $180 today gets you legit workshoes with cushioned soles and everything. They're as comfortable as Sketchers. You wanna dress like a lumberjack. OK. Fine. So why not wear the actual shoes a lumberjack wears?
c82f1b78420b99453f9845bd7e5d04f8.jpga211a27305c294ea9c4bdfbca9a51f9c.jpg
Tapa
c2b161e6e42dbde7a8a22fdd2f84c795.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 8/19/2020 at 8:28 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

I think those super cars look really kind of silly on the streets juxtaposed to normal cars.  Never been a fan of them.

now imagine seeing those cars in the streets of saigon, jakarta, etc, where roads are ass and completely clogged.  just absurd.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Gender reveal parties. Seriously, what the actual fuck is the purpose of those? We didn't have that shit when I was growing up. 

A million times this.  They are absurd.  I will refuse to go to any, even my grandchildren's.

This is closely related to the Millennial/Gen Z phenomenon of having the engagement staged in some location, and having to arrange all of the girl's friends' presence for the engagement, so it can all be  videoed and posted on social media of choice.  I feel sorry for guys these days.  

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, nnm said:

A million times this.  They are absurd.  I will refuse to go to any, even my grandchildren's.

This is closely related to the Millennial/Gen Z phenomenon of having the engagement staged in some location, and having to arrange all of the girl's friends' presence for the engagement, so it can all be  videoed and posted on social media of choice.  I feel sorry for guys these days.  

My oldest sister had one last year, but it was only for the family. Also, thank god I had to work and couldn't make it. Even if I didn't have work, I would have lied anyway and said I did. Avoid that shit like the plague.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I don’t get smoking, but I especially don’t get people who smoke in their cars and houses. I guess they just resigned to the reality that everything they own will smell like burnt assholes?

It's rare, but occasionally I'll get an Uber or Lyft with a driver whose car smells like old stale smoke.  It's the worst.

14 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Those are lame as fuck.

So are engagement parties. Do you really need a party for this?

Or coed bachelor/bachelorette parties with the bride and groom present.  Nothing says this marriage is a great idea quite like "I don't trust you enough to go out with your friends without me present."

Edited by Tom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Or coed bachelor/bachelorette parties with the bride and groom present.  Nothing says this marriage is a great idea quite like "I don't trust you enough to go out with your friends without me present."

One of these was one of the best parties I’ve ever been too. Not a trust deal, but a “your friends are my friends and couples anyways. Late 20s early 30s and most are married w/ kids or in serious relationships”. Rented a couple beach houses and got shit faced for 48hrs.

The other one...not so much.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/west-mathewson-south-african-conservationist-093754938.html

Taking lions for walks....I don't get that. Especially after reading the last sentence. 

August 27, 2020, 5:06 AM CDT
A well-known South African conservationist has died after he was mauled by two white lions as he was taking them for a walk.

The wife of West Mathewson, who followed in a car, tried to distract the lions but it was too late.

He ran a popular safari lodge, Lion Tree Top Lodge, in Limpopo province.

The lionesses have since been moved to another game lodge and are expected to be released into the wild at a later stage.

A lioness became aggressive towards the other and then turned her attention to the conservationist affectionately known as "Uncle West", reports the BBC's Nomsa Maseko from Johannesburg.

His relatives have said that Wednesday's attack could have been the result of very rough play.

The lionesses were tranquillised following the attack and have been taken to an endangered species centre.

Mr Mathewson is said to have rescued the lions from "canned hunting" - when animals are hunted in an enclosed area, or they are bred to be hunted - and they were kept in an enclosure at his lodge.

The lionesses reportedly killed a man working on a neighbouring property after they broke out of the enclosure in 2017.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Llano Estacado said:

One of these was one of the best parties I’ve ever been too. Not a trust deal, but a “your friends are my friends and couples anyways. Late 20s early 30s and most are married w/ kids or in serious relationships”. Rented a couple beach houses and got shit faced for 48hrs.

There are exceptions to every rule.

tenor.gif?itemid=4468552

5 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

Must be nice be in a group like that where all the wives are cool with hookers and blow. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t get smoking, but I especially don’t get people who smoke in their cars and houses. I guess they just resigned to the reality that everything they own will smell like burnt assholes?

As an ex smoker I can confirm that smokers can’t smell it.

11 hours ago, bluto said:

Auto 1 Star in those situations

Yeah, and that's probably deserved, but I don't want to take someone's livelihood away.  You have to be a real asshole/terrible driver for me to give you less than 5 stars.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Butt Flickers going down the highway.  You just inhaled all of that nasty shit and bathed in the putrid smoke... but you risk fire and being a shithead litterbug why?   Because you're a smoldering piece of shit and you love displaying it in public, Mr & Ms Smoker.

Edited by slorch

12 hours ago, Blotto said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/west-mathewson-south-african-conservationist-093754938.html

Taking lions for walks....I don't get that. Especially after reading the last sentence. 

In general people that own exotic wild animals.   Especially the ones that are well-known to kill domesticated animals and humans.  Further, ascribing human characteristics to the animal (lions, tigers, etc.) and rolling around with and loving on them like they’re an infant is just stupid  beyond compare.  

I’m waiting on the slapdick that’s going to capture an adult great white shark, keep it in his backyard pool and swim around with his “big, lovable and misunderstood teddy bear” in hopes of getting his own cable TV show.  

You know it’s going to happen.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

People who choose to remain in shitty locations. I'll specifically reference family who live in Amarillo. It's a shit hole. Yet, they never want to leave. I get it's what they've always know and in part think places like Dallas, Chicago, Houston or Austin are scary or filled with hippies, but... Amarillo... Really? 

Bet I get Slorched.

nah.  I think about that all of the time.  I don't disagree with your premise.  How could someone live in the same place basically their whole fucking life?  I say that as someone who lived in a dairy community as a kid, where multiple generations had lived on the same farm.  That culture is waning due to farming methods and whatnot, though.

As for Amarillo, I left it and CHOSE to return 16 years later, mostly out of family considerations, but also for great traffic, lower cost of living, improved climate,  and lower crime.  I'm not going to even attempt to oversell it, because it's not for everyone, but neither are the metro areas in your post.  Different places work for different folks and I'm cool with that. Do I miss things about Houston?  Fucking A, I do.   Was I glad I was not living there this past week in hurricane central?   You betcha.    There's always trade-offs.

I think that's one understated benefit of the military is getting the individual out of their comfort zone with regard to culture and where they might have grown up.  In raising our sons, we have absolutely encouraged them to get out and see the world.  As a dad, I am very pleased to see them doing that.

Edited by slorch

Amarillo isn't some god-forsaken shithole. I don't understand why all of my uncle's kids have decided to stay there, either, but there are worse places to live. It's also been romanticized to me because my graddad lives there and my dad is from there. And those are two of the best people I know.

It is funny when I fly into/out of the airport in my Austin/SMU/Dallas wardrobe. I look a little out of place. 

31 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

People who choose to remain in shitty locations. I'll specifically reference family who live in Amarillo. It's a shit hole. Yet, they never want to leave. I get it's what they've always know and in part think places like Dallas, Chicago, Houston or Austin are scary or filled with hippies, but... Amarillo... Really? 

Bet I get Slorched.

Meh.  No place is perfect.  Sure some have better features than others but location and situation don’t make one happy.   

excepting B/CS.  no way. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

In fairness to the fleecing people, all these fucking stupid things are driven by corporations looking to sell shit. Whether it be the greeting card and chocolate industry driving Valentine's or baby shit manufacturing driving gender reveal non-sense. Buy more shit you for that isn't needed. Greeting cards, women, all women fucking love them.

Mrs. Brat doesn’t want cards of any kind, and she quit sending out Christmas cards 45 years ago. She will send sympathy cards when a friend or relative croaks.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Mrs. Brat doesn’t want cards of any kind, and she quit sending out Christmas cards 45 years ago. She will send sympathy cards when a friend or relative croaks.

Yeah, but the weird thing with her sympathy cards is, just like Christmas cards, she sends them out ahead of time.  

Just now, BurntEyes said:

I don't disagree with that point, and to each their own, but the point was, I don't understand it which is the subject of the thread.

OK.  You agree with me to a point but your opinion sucks and you’re an awful person.  

Let’s lose our minds and fight over it, you Nazi.  

(isn’t that how it goes nowadays?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/29/2020 at 11:00 AM, Armybrat said:

I feel like the entire idea of Christmas cards is bizarre. If I care enough to hear from you, I already know what you are up to. If I don't care about you, don't waste a card on me because I'm not wasting one on you. I don't get me started on those Christmas letters where all of your kids are awesome, your husband got another promotion, and you lost 20 pounds. I know your kids are in rehab, your husband is banging the maid and the only reason you lost 20 pounds is because your shitty tit-job had to be removed.

• Hook 'Em 2