Fuck you 2020, and fuck you cancer.

South Austin

10 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Although most of us love our dads, yours sounds like a true badass. 

Thank you, and indeed he is.  But his fatherhood journey is far from perfect.  Like many of his generation, he had difficulty showing affection when I was a kid, and he was often intimidating.  But when I became a man and a father, he changed, I changed, and we became best of friends. 

But this ain't a eulogy, it's a recognition.  He's going to beat this.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear that! My uncle has cancer/stage 3 and spreading and they can’t do chemo because his heart is out of rhythm. Sounds like your dad is the type of guy who will beat the cancer. 

I have jokes I have been sharing with my uncle but it’s morbid humor...but he laughs at them at least. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Good luck to your dad and your family. My aunt had bladder cancer, caught it early, had it removed, didn’t have to do radiation or chemo. Hope that gives you some relief. If docs catch it early enough, USUALLY the patient will be ok.

one of my dads buddies had the same thing and had a much worse time because he waited to get it looked at.

Good on your dad for not messing around with it. Get it taken care of.

• Hook 'Em 2

Your dad seems like a great guy. Your mom is also great. So you came from a good place. Good luck to all of you. As far as what you are saying about the bladder cancer, it seems like they caught it early. The survival rates are good for bladder cancer and are excellent for early stage, localized bladder cancer. Be thankful that they caught it early and use it as a wake-up call to cherish your time with them.

• Hook 'Em 1

"Hey Pops how was your day?"

"Not bad. Got a few dingers. Pissed some blood. What'd your pansy-ass do all day?"

"Uhhh...justed posted some stuff on the internets."

"Pfffff...kids these days. Hey I gotta put cancer in a headlock for next couple of days. Take care of your ma and make sure she stays open for business."

Hey S. Austin wishing you all the best and expecting him to be crackin' coldies with you in no time.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

So after 2019 was the worst year of my life, I thought 2020 would be a breeze. 

Well, to add another shit sandwich to my plate, I found out today that my dad has cancer.  It's in his bladder, and he's having surgery on Sept. 9.  The doctor thinks he caught it early enough for a recovery.  Imaging suggests the tumor is small and hasn't gotten to his kidneys, but we'll know more after surgery.

My dad felt symptoms fairly recently.  One symptom, actually.  During a game in his geezer softball league up in Sun City he had to go take a piss, and he urinated pure blood.  He went straight home, told my mom, and they scheduled a doctor visit ASAP.  No other symptoms, such as aches, digestive issues, etc.

For those of you with experience, hearing that one of your parents (or any family member) has cancer is like getting hit in the gut with a baseball bat.  But after my folks explained the situation, I feel better.  Still a bit scared, but optimistic.  I guess I'm more worried about him going into a hospital with potential exposure to COVID.  Fortunately, the case and hospitalization numbers have been down, so I guess the timing is better than it could've been.

I've mentioned my dad before in other threads, but he's a former infantry officer in the Marines who served for 27 years through two wars -- Vietnam to start his career and the Persian Gulf War at the end.  Since college, I've affectionately called him "The Colonel," his rank upon retirement.  He's a 76-year old 6'4" tough, gregarious son of a bitch who enjoys making people laugh, usually at his expense.  He was a pitcher for Oregon State in college, but since he moved to Texas after active duty and his son went to UT, he's been a rabid Longhorn fan.  I rarely see him in a shirt that isn't burnt orange.  You'd love drinking beer with him.  

A nod in your thoughts or prayers -- or even a crass joke -- would be appreciated.  I'm getting shitfaced tonight 

sounds like a great guy.   a little intimidating "look son, you are fuckin' up here and better get your shit straight" ain't so bad.  served me pretty well a few times when I heard my dad saying it in my head later in life.  great the doc thinks they caught it early.  my dad had prostate a few years ago, which is very curable these days.  I'm sure it will all work out.  give him a Hook 'em for us.

• Hook 'Em 1

So after 2019 was the worst year of my life, I thought 2020 would be a breeze. 
Well, to add another shit sandwich to my plate, I found out today that my dad has cancer.  It's in his bladder, and he's having surgery on Sept. 9.  The doctor thinks he caught it early enough for a recovery.  Imaging suggests the tumor is small and hasn't gotten to his kidneys, but we'll know more after surgery.
My dad felt symptoms fairly recently.  One symptom, actually.  During a game in his geezer softball league up in Sun City he had to go take a piss, and he urinated pure blood.  He went straight home, told my mom, and they scheduled a doctor visit ASAP.  No other symptoms, such as aches, digestive issues, etc.
For those of you with experience, hearing that one of your parents (or any family member) has cancer is like getting hit in the gut with a baseball bat.  But after my folks explained the situation, I feel better.  Still a bit scared, but optimistic.  I guess I'm more worried about him going into a hospital with potential exposure to COVID.  Fortunately, the case and hospitalization numbers have been down, so I guess the timing is better than it could've been.
I've mentioned my dad before in other threads, but he's a former infantry officer in the Marines who served for 27 years through two wars -- Vietnam to start his career and the Persian Gulf War at the end.  Since college, I've affectionately called him "The Colonel," his rank upon retirement.  He's a 76-year old 6'4" tough, gregarious son of a bitch who enjoys making people laugh, usually at his expense.  He was a pitcher for Oregon State in college, but since he moved to Texas after active duty and his son went to UT, he's been a rabid Longhorn fan.  I rarely see him in a shirt that isn't burnt orange.  You'd love drinking beer with him.  
A nod in your thoughts or prayers -- or even a crass joke -- would be appreciated.  I'm getting shitfaced tonight 

My dad is five years removed from a bladder cancer diagnosis.

Sounds very similar your dad - no symptoms until he had some blood in his urine was caught early etc.

He had the surgery to remove the tumor and it hadn’t invaded the bladder wall.

He was treated with the BCG regimen - they fill the bladder via catheter with a solution with tuberculosis bacteria.

Bacillus Calmette-Guerin or BCG is the most common intravesical immunotherapy for treating early-stage bladder cancer. It's used to help keep the cancer from growing and to help keep it from coming back. BCG is a germ that's related to the one that causes tuberculosis (TB), but it doesn't usually cause serious disease.

He just had his five year visit and his doctor told him he will only see him once a year now. Feel free to message me with any questions. Good vibes to your pops.
  • Hook 'Em 4

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure which "Fuck Cancer" thread is correct but this one came up first using search.

A good friend's wife called me today to tell me that George had passed yesterday. He had been undergoing chemo for a cancer that was somewhere in his abdomen, they never told any of use what the precise type was. I guess it really doesn't matter, it took him and I'm struggling with it now. I first met him when he was hired to do some programming for some industrial  equipment we built. He had an EE degree from Wichita State so he and I bonded quickly. We spent a lot of time on the road doing installs and we got to know each others families. We met up at WSU basketball games and had beers together afterwards. Just a great guy. I was pretty composed until his wife told me that I should give her a call if I need to talk to someone. Fuck cancer, indeed.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not sure which "Fuck Cancer" thread is correct but this one came up first using search.
A good friend's wife called me today to tell me that George had passed yesterday. He had been undergoing chemo for a cancer that was somewhere in his abdomen, they never told any of use what the precise type was. I guess it really doesn't matter, it took him and I'm struggling with it now. I first met him when he was hired to do some programming for some industrial  equipment we built. He had an EE degree from Wichita State so he and I bonded quickly. We spent a lot of time on the road doing installs and we got to know each others families. We met up at WSU basketball games and had beers together afterwards. Just a great guy. I was pretty composed until his wife told me that I should give her a call if I need to talk to someone. Fuck cancer, indeed.

Widow’s picture not loading

I found out yesterday that a childhood friend died from cancer, she had just turned 51. I hadn't seen her in over 30 years, she was my older sister's friend when we were in grade school. We've been facebook friends for years and I knew she had been diagnosed but she was updating everything that she'd been doing and seemed upbeat about it. 2 months after the diagnosis, she's gone. Her poor parents, she was an only child and had no spouse or kids. They're in their 70s and all alone now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

My mom was diagnosed with kidney cancer in early August. Her funeral is Saturday. My grandparents lived into their 80s and 90s, so I never expected to lose her in her mid 60s. Because of COVID, she wasn't able to meet 2 of my kids. I hate that this is the way her story ended and I know she hated it too. Just a sad situation.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

My mom was diagnosed with kidney cancer in early August. Her funeral is Saturday. My grandparents lived into their 80s and 90s, so I never expected to lose her in her mid 60s. Because of COVID, she wasn't able to meet 2 of my kids. I hate that this is the way her story ended and I know she hated it too. Just a sad situation.

Damn man sorry for your loss.

• Hook 'Em 1