Jump to content
You are going to notice some weird shit for a few days. Sorry ahead of time. ×
Bateshorn

I just went on the football board...

Recommended Posts

Just now, Bateshorn said:

For the first time in months. Yikes.

uh oh oops GIF

Brave soul. I won’t do it. But describe it to me. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, immamac said:

Should I just shut the board down? 

Maybe wait until the election is over. 

Oh you meant the football board.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, immamac said:

Should I just shut the board down? 

The football board is just an incredibly backwards place to read. Page 7 of the Ehlinger thread about him staying for The Eyes of Texas was some of the worst most disturbing stuff I have read on this board. Everyone who liked that post (Some of the names that liked it are not shocking) should really re-examine who they are as human beings.

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm only half kidding. Ever since the fallout of the TX OU game I really did consider just leaving the board down for a while. 

I don't know that anything positive is coming from it anymore, it seems like everyone is just miserable and pissed off. Before it used to be some of that, but with a sense of humor and a jovial culture at poking fun at people. Now it's just fucking mean and hardly anything is funny. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried to make joke threads and get people to just do funny shit and it's falling flat. People don't want to laugh or joke everything is so "serious"  that the general sentiment has turned into how dare you joke about that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, immamac said:

I tried to make joke threads and get people to just do funny shit and it's falling flat. People don't want to laugh or joke everything is so "serious"  that the general sentiment has turned into how dare you joke about that. 

We give you a ration of shit daily. It's going to be a wonder if we survive the election and the football season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, immamac said:

I don't know that anything positive is coming from it anymore,

I mean, it saves me from doing actual work during the week.

  • Hook 'Em 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, immamac said:

I tried to make joke threads and get people to just do funny shit and it's falling flat. People don't want to laugh or joke everything is so "serious"  that the general sentiment has turned into how dare you joke about that. 

I mean, I totally feel this.  Other than the middle finger girl thread, everything else is just a beating.  

I would not want to be a moderator of this board right now. 

Edited by Bateshorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are so many people on the EoT thread who just need to be real about things and say " I am mad that these fucking n-words won't do what I want."

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fascinating how you can have two camps---those who won't go to the football board any longer, or haven't in some time, because it's a shitshow.  While the folks on the football board won't go to the Poli board any longer, or haven't in some time, because it's a shitshow.  

Yet the reasons one won't dare venture to the other are roughly the same.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then you have me. Who had to not only wade through both of those pools of shit, but also the daily texan bullshit. 

I'm pretty sure the other mods barely even come to the site anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, immamac said:

Then you have me. Who had to not only wade through both of those pools of shit, but also the daily texan bullshit. 

I'm pretty sure the other mods barely even come to the site anymore.

Well thanks for all you do man. It really is a helpful and important part of folks lives. But yeah, please leave the football board up. Because I don’t need those people flooding the important areas of the board that I still frequent. Which I won’t even say out loud here. 

  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean hayden laid it out for a few years now about the code words on DT and the football board. If we win, no one gives a shit about The Eyes other than the redasses who are angry the black players dared to have a counter opinion on their precious song. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fuck You 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Fascinating how you can have two camps---those who won't go to the football board any longer, or haven't in some time, because it's a shitshow.  While the folks on the football board won't go to the Poli board any longer, or haven't in some time, because it's a shitshow.  

Yet the reasons one won't dare venture to the other are roughly the same.

The politics board has always been a shitshow. But probably less so now, as Republicans have a hard time arguing for Trump.

Their used to be good, productive football posters on hornfans and then Shaggy for a little while. Those days are long gone. Obviously doesn't help that the program has struggled for a decade. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I mean hayden laid it out for a few years now about the code words on DT and the football board. If we win, no one gives a shit about The Eyes other than the redasses who are angry the black players dared to have a counter opinion on their precious song. 

Want to list the secret code out? So I can identify the shitbags IRL please 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, immamac said:

I tried to make joke threads and get people to just do funny shit and it's falling flat. People don't want to laugh or joke everything is so "serious"  that the general sentiment has turned into how dare you joke about that. 

As a BBS admin, you kind of have to deal with a perfect storm of shit in your community right now.  Pandemic, politics/election, Texas football in the shitter again, etc....  There’s a lot to bitch about, and Surly is probably providing a public service as a place where people can vent rather anonymously during these rather shitty times.  Thank you for providing it.

Some of those things will change for the better, soon.  You are looking to be right (and people like me wrong) regarding the GOPs threat to democracy.  People are turning off the NFL or the Kardashians or whatever and getting out to vote in numbers we haven’t seen in our lifetime.  Regardless of the final tally, I don’t think that anyone will be able to say this election does not reflect the will of the people.

As for Texas football, I am afraid it’s fucked for the foreseeable future.

  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I'll just turn on ads for everyone but treefiddy. Then at least I'll get paid to deal with it. Right now the board has gotten so bad lurkers don't even want to come anymore. It's basically treefiddy subscribers (99 of them) and a few BMD + my subsidy keeping the lights on. 

  • Hook 'Em 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, this is a good time and forum for me to suggest everyone donate some money to Surly. I mean many of us are contributing to act blue, but Surly isn’t a moneymaker really. So toss immamac a few bucks. 

  • Hook 'Em 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I very rarely go to the football board.  Ironically, football discussions were why I joined the hookem/hornfans/shaggy/surly cabal decades ago.  I don't think things have changed so much as I am just no longer interested in seeing the same takes over and over.

Non-political point:  at some point it seems the University of Texas and its fans are going to have to point the finger at something besides the coaches we hire.  I suppose it's possible that multiyear high dollar contracts at one of the bluest of blue blood programs leads to near-immediate complacency for otherwise good coaches, but I suspect the culture of the school and administration and to some degree the city itself have infected the program.

For me, I can't witness 39 years of mostly soft, fundamentally unsound, underperforming football and reach a  different conclusion.  We lacked talent in the late 1980s, and Mack Brown had roughly an 8 year run that was outstanding, but besides those two periods, I'd say we consistently suck at developing talent and teaching the game.  Did we truly whiff on 6 straight coaches?

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, immamac said:

Maybe I'll just turn on ads for everyone but treefiddy. Then at least I'll get paid to deal with it. Right now the board has gotten so bad lurkers don't even want to come anymore. It's basically treefiddy subscribers (99 of them) and a few BMD + my subsidy keeping the lights on. 

Ha. We had the same thought at the same time apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Want to list the secret code out? So I can identify the shitbags IRL please 

Go read the Antifa thread. It's pretty much all of the ones who post on there. You'll see they are the same who are the angriest about the Eyes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe if football had its own conspiracy shit.

That’ll be $9.95 pls 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, immamac said:

Then you have me. Who had to not only wade through both of those pools of shit, but also the daily texan bullshit. 

I'm pretty sure the other mods barely even come to the site anymore.

In a former life, I was a message board admin as well.  I don't envy the job you have, and especially how toxic things are today vs. early aughts, when I did the admin thing.

Thank you for your service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mdmost said:

Go read the Antifa thread. It's pretty much all of the ones who post on there. You'll see they are the same who are the angriest about the Eyes. 

I mean, no. I asked you so I don’t have to do that reprehensible shit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

horror acid GIF

Me every morning. Then I get to go to work for another dose of incompetence and people just mailing it in because they don't want to quit during a pandemic. 

  • Hook 'Em 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, immamac said:

Maybe I'll just turn on ads for everyone but treefiddy. Then at least I'll get paid to deal with it. Right now the board has gotten so bad lurkers don't even want to come anymore. It's basically treefiddy subscribers (99 of them) and a few BMD + my subsidy keeping the lights on. 

What is this, a telethon?

(just signed up for a year.  I'm number #100?)

 

 

  • Hook 'Em 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be perfectly honest. I'm so immune to us losing now that if we do, the small solace I take in my cold, black heart is that the people on the football board are miserable. 

  • Hook 'Em 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess without the football board there’s only the 26 Covid threads, old men reminiscing about bands and movies, and Angie Varona. 

Just download the fucking pictures.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

The football board is just an incredibly backwards place to read. Page 7 of the Ehlinger thread about him staying for The Eyes of Texas was some of the worst most disturbing stuff I have read on this board. Everyone who liked that post (Some of the names that liked it are not shocking) should really re-examine who they are as human beings.

Yet you have specific page of a specific thread committed to memory?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Francisco 2.0 said:

What is this, a telethon?

(just signed up for a year.  I'm number #100?)

 

 

I mean when the world isn't ending and there isn't a pandemic there is usually closer to 250 with some churn. That's why there were no ads for simply being a member, it's dwindled down to not even covering the lights and lurker traffic which used to be ~75/day or something went down to the teens. Without some of the BMD who know who they are I would have floated this idea a long time ago. I have been working with my ad network partner to try to get something coded to work only showing ads in the politics board, but we can't get it to work with the damned site software. It's either everyone including treefiddy or only lurkers and I'm not gonna put ads up for people that fund the site. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Yet you have specific page of a specific thread committed to memory?  

The page and post was mentioned specifically in the CR so I went and read that page and that post.

  • Hook 'Em 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I'll be perfectly honest. I'm so immune to us losing now that if we do, the small solace I take in my cold, black heart is that the people on the football board are miserable. 

Boy #2 texted me about the game last week and I had to fake enthusiasm for Dad purposes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be clear this isn't burning a hole in my wallet and just ruining me financially, but it does now COST money to keep the site up and I just want to let people know that it's pretty fucked up having to come out of pocket to have a platform for some of the shit that's going down lately 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, UpperWestside said:

The page and post was mentioned specifically in the CR so I went and read that page and that post.

Yikes.  “The toxic waste dump showed me how bad the sewer was.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...