Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

3 hours ago, RPM said:

What you fail to acknowledge is its carpetbaggers causing most of this.

Wrong

3 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

You’d like to think so, but you’d be wrong. Plenty of shitheel natives to blame too.

Definitely

3 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Carpetbaggers couldn't cause this if we weren't busy voting them into office.  So no. Texans can't tell the difference between a Texan and a caricature of a Texan.  That's on us as Texans.  

DING DING DING! We're buying the shit these fucking morons are shoveling without question and voting them into office because they have an R next to their name and asking zero questions. That's on Texans. In fact, being too stupid to see through their bullshit is probably more embarrassing than electing our own homegrown pieces of shit. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wrong

Definitely

DING DING DING! We're buying the shit these fucking morons are shoveling without question and voting them into office because they have an R next to their name and asking zero questions. That's on Texans. In fact, being too stupid to see through their bullshit is probably more embarrassing than electing our own homegrown pieces of shit. 

And that's fair.

The only thing dumber than Allan West running the Texas GQP is that Texans VOTED for him to do that.  It's not just voting for Rs....it's voting for the worst possible version of Rs.

As just an example.....Jerry Patterson went from being a hardcore conservative Republican....to a "libtard" persona non grata in the party, in a matter of less than a decade.  Jerry Patterson...is now a pussy communist libtard according to our fellow GQP Texans.  WTF?

Edited by Brisketexan

6 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

And Jerry's opinions have probably not moved more than an inch or 2 in that decade either.  Having the exact same beliefs I have now (Minus the minority rights part) qualified me to be a pretty hard core conservative when I was 19.  Today it makes me a liberal.

Wanna know a fascinating thing about Jerry?  Without regard to some of his beliefs that may have seemed extreme on hot-button issues, he was Land Commissioner, and he took his job and his duty to Texas and the people served (e.g., the students of Texas, who benefit from revenues derived from the GLO)  VERY seriously.  As in, openly asked "what's best for the people of Texas?" over and over again.  There's a LOT of things Jerry and I disagree on.  But I always respected him, and knew him to be a man of his word and basic decency.

And make no mistake, giving a shit about the people you serve, instead of focusing solely on making hot-button headlines and "owning the libs," makes him HATED by the current GQP.  Good governance, and giving a shit about the people, are huge negatives to them.

This is all so, so, so fucked.

Imagine if instead of giving the power companies $16 billion in 48 hours of price gouging we actually made the operators spend their own money to winterize all their equipment?  Instead they companies get the gouge billions and the Texas taxpayers will pay for the funding.  Of course when you have "unpaid board members" that have their actual salaries paid by power operators put in place by Abbott to put into the latest ERCOT vacancy, would you expect anything but fucking the citizens for corporate political donations.

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

My wife is a Canadian citizen and we’re having serious discussions about her and a couple of my kids (16 and 22) becoming Canadian citizens and possibly packing up and moving to Canada.

I would have to stay here though since my job doesn’t really exist in Canada and I don’t think I can become a citizen there anyway. I suppose I can western union money to them like the illegals here send back to their families in Mexico. 

If your wife is a Canadian citizen, it's easier than you think.  Just have a clean record, have a decent chunk of money stashed away (that you can prove is yours), fill in the paperwork, and/or be willing to change careers.   One of my in-laws did the paperwork and everything, and got dual-citizenship.  But they had to prove their financial and employment viability, etc. - it did not seem to me a foregone conclusion that just because they had a parent and step-parent who are Canadian, that they'd automatically get it.

Actually, I may have that slightly off - it may have been that they could get dual citizenship, but they couldn't reside in Canada without savings and employment viability.

Canada does not like freeloaders, and they do not like criminal records.

3 hours ago, Bookman said:

No way our roads are worse than the national average.

It's odd to get into Oklahoma and take a turnpike when cruising north, and realize how much better their tollroads are than our tollroads.  

Or maybe the Okies realize many people just want to drive on through their state and they make it as easy as possible.

54 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The only thing dumber than Allan West running the Texas GQP is that Texans VOTED for him to do that.  It's not just voting for Rs....it's voting for the worst possible version of Rs.

Running a political party is not exactly a glamorous job (compared to say Governor/Lt. Governor/AG) and/or not seen as a stepping stool to other high-profile positions.

But if you were coming in from out-of-state, with a goal of winning a high-profile seat, and didn't want people grumbling that you were a carpetbagger if you went after a higher-profile elected position right after moving there, party leadership is the perfect place to cool your heels while networking like crazy, and figuring out who were the actual power players and the BMDs.

Which is really making me think that Allan West chose to run for the GOP leadership, knowing he had a decent chance at getting it, and knowing he could use it to primary some other Republican.

I don't think it was a coincidence that West was one of those leading the protests against Abbott's mask mandate last year.  Hell, he was trashing House Speaker Dennis Bonnen in 2019 when he declared he was going to run for the GOP leadership spot in 2020.

I'm learning towards West being the one that Abbott is scared of.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

If your wife is a Canadian citizen, it's easier than you think.  Just have a clean record, have a decent chunk of money stashed away (that you can prove is yours), fill in the paperwork, and/or be willing to change careers.   One of my in-laws did the paperwork and everything, and got dual-citizenship.  But they had to prove their financial and employment viability, etc. - it did not seem to me a foregone conclusion that just because they had a parent and step-parent who are Canadian, that they'd automatically get it.

Actually, I may have that slightly off - it may have been that they could get dual citizenship, but they couldn't reside in Canada without savings and employment viability.

Canada does not like freeloaders, and they do not like criminal records.

The problem with that is that if I changed careers I would no longer be a surly one percenter and instead of my wife moving to Canada with the kids to get away from hot wheels and bathroom Dan she would be moving to Canada with the kids to get away from me.

Running a political party is not exactly a glamorous job (compared to say Governor/Lt. Governor/AG) and/or not seen as a stepping stool to other high-profile positions.
But if you were coming in from out-of-state, with a goal of winning a high-profile seat, and didn't want people grumbling that you were a carpetbagger if you went after a higher-profile elected position right after moving there, party leadership is the perfect place to cool your heels while networking like crazy, and figuring out who were the actual power players and the BMDs.
Which is really making me think that Allan West chose to run for the GOP leadership, knowing he had a decent chance at getting it, and knowing he could use it to primary some other Republican.
I don't think it was a coincidence that West was one of those leading the protests against Abbott's mask mandate last year.  Hell, he was trashing House Speaker Dennis Bonnen in 2019 when he declared he was going to run for the GOP leadership spot in 2020.
I'm learning towards West being the one that Abbott is scared of.

I agree unfortunately

I don’t think it’s Sid, I don’t think Abbott would be very worried about Sid. Besides Sid would end up pulling a Clayton Williams at some point

33 minutes ago, Updawg said:

I agree unfortunately

I don’t think it’s Sid, I don’t think Abbott would be very worried about Sid. Besides Sid would end up pulling a Clayton Williams at some point

Yeah but Sid pulling a Clayton Williams would probably help him in the GQP primary.

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I blame Santa Ana for not reconquering Texas and making it Mexico to this day. Even the cartels wear masks. 

If Santa Ana had just stayed in the Alamo basement instead of riding off to San Jacinto we would all be talking Spanish today.

Edited by JimmyJames

9 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

You’d like to think so, but you’d be wrong. Plenty of shitheel natives to blame too.

Yeah, well:

WASHINGTON — Sen. Ted Cruz and Rep. Beto O’Rourke fought during the Senate race over who was more Texan. It turns out that native Texan voters think O’Rourke is.

CNN exit poll showed that O'Rourke beat Cruz among native Texans, 51 percent to 48 percent. In contrast, 57 percent of people who had moved to Texas said they voted for Cruz, compared to 42 percent who voted for O'Rourke..

Edited by Satchel
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Yeah, well:

WASHINGTON — Sen. Ted Cruz and Rep. Beto O’Rourke fought during the Senate race over who was more Texan. It turns out that native Texan voters think O’Rourke is.

CNN exit poll showed that O'Rourke beat Cruz among native Texans, 51 percent to 48 percent. In contrast, 57 percent of people who had moved to Texas said they voted for Cruz, compared to 42 percent who voted for O'Rourke..

guess they're not californiaing our texas

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I forgot Canada has this on a big ass statue.

new-colossus-the-welcome-blog-415x340.jp

I wasn't speaking just to immigrants.  You are a racist Nazi shitbag wrt our own population too.  

Give me your "tired, your poor".  Nothing about "freeloaders with criminal records", which is the phrase I commented on, before you projected to immigrants. Don't hurt yourself moving those goalposts.  

4 hours ago, Updawg said:

I agree unfortunately

When he announced he was running to take over the GOP leadership in 2019, he attacked the then-sitting Republican House Speaker.

Last year, he attacked the Republican Governor, and led protests at the Governor's mansion over something that could help us slow down a pandemic.

Attacking high-profile publicly elected Republican officials - those aren't exactly the actions of a Republican leader who had the party's best interest at heart.  Those actions are downright Trumpian.

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They were willing to die for Texas.

Meanwhile, Ted Cruz sure as fuck wasn't going to stick around and be cold during one of the worst winters Texas has ever had on record.  

Ted found himself in an unwinnable situation largely of his own making, so he did whatever he needed to do to save his on hide. Kind of like Santa Anna

Belay that. Win or lose, Antonio de Padua María Severino López de Santa Anna y Pérez de Lebrón actually fought in battles and got shot at. I know I'm old now, because the resurrected clone of Santa Anna would care more about Texas than the current pols.

I can't even. This man wouldn't even roll down the block to check on how many abuses happen in the RTC for foster children or if RCCI is doing what it should to investigate. It took I don't know how much bad pr for Abbott and the state to take action regarding the foster children sleeping in social workers' offices. And the numbers have crept up again since it was reported several years ago. Pro-Birth Party.

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I can't even. This man wouldn't even roll down the block to check on how many abuses happen in the RTC for foster children or if RCCI is doing what it should to investigate. It took I don't know how much bad pr for Abbott and the state to take action regarding the foster children sleeping in social workers' offices. And the numbers have crept up again since it was reported several years ago. Pro-Birth Party.

He’s been getting publicly attacked by Dan Patrick this week.  I am not surprised at all.  

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He’s been getting publicly attacked by Dan Patrick this week.  I am not surprised at all.  

I'm sure. This political oneupmanship over children. Children that he would have been perfectly willing to ignore. (and did). Perfectly willing to send back alone to Matamoros or where ever. Perfectly fine to ensure that energy companies don't have to worry about their money while children sleep in overcrowded shelters, on office floors, or whose mothers can't find healthcare because he closes more and more clinics. Ignores them all until it's politically expedient to suddenly summon some sort of faux outrage.

We support a charity for children who have one or both parents in prison. It's a small affair, but it provides counseling, after school care, tutoring, and other services to help support the families who are on the outside waiting and a sense of hope for the parent on the inside. While Abbott clucks his tongue for political advantage, the clock is ticking. Children grow older every second, every hour, every day of the year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...