Sweet Jawja Special Elections

Zonahorn

38 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Not to derail even further, but a) this is a great set of videos so thanks for promoting them, and b) slow tv out of Norway has some similarly great stuff too. If you need a break from the dirty world of politics, feel free to watch the train from Oslo to Bergen. I put it on my second screen as I'm working. It's a 7 hour trip and nothing happens. "Oh look, we've arrived at Ustaoset, quietly and right on time." It's glorious. 

My family watched that a couple of years ago.  My wife was an exchange student in Norway back in the 80's (Kristiansund) and then went back to study there in Oslo after that, so she is clued into all things Norwegian.  That is an great vid, especially the snowy parts.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I'm all for Voting Rights to be shored up.  I actually think Texas gets a bad rap for voter suppression (so much less than our other southern neighbors), but the single dropbox in Harris County infuriated me.  Having said that, you can't just "re-do" the Census without a Constitutional override.  And even if you do, the districts are still done at the state level.  Those statehouses know where the undercounted people are because the Democrats in those Houses have already volunteered the under-counted information (or will here shortly when sessions start all across the nation).  A concentration in a handful of areas of under-repped people actually makes it easier to gerrymander, not harder.  The lines will actually looks goofy to the outside observer, 

I think "re-do" the Census is inartful.  The 2020 Census isn't done.  The Census Bureau says that it won't have final numbers until February at the earliest.

The new head of the Census Bureau may come in and say "uh, yeah--our numbers are garbage because we undercounted a bunch of people because of the pandemic."  And Congress can then appropriate more money (which would be really good for the economy, as it would create a bunch of new temporary jobs) to fund census takers going out and locating the undercounted people.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

The reason I’m so happy is that for 6 years, the senate literally didn’t do shit. They only passed or debated a bill if they had to. The people in charge had no interest in legislating or making us a better country.

it’s both sad and pathetic that GOP voters can’t see how bad of a leader Mitch McConnell and Lindsey graham ( committees) both were. Those guys did.......NOTHING.

Edited by Voldemort86
  • Hook 'Em 1

Unless the GOP plans to run 435 House candidates named Donald Trump....
They are still at a huge disadvantage.  Pass the Voting Rights Act within the first 100 days, re-do the Census and ensure no fuckery can be done for 2022 House maps. 

I'm all for Voting Rights to be shored up.  I actually think Texas gets a bad rap for voter suppression (so much less than our other southern neighbors), but the single dropbox in Harris County infuriated me.  Having said that, you can't just "re-do" the Census without a Constitutional override.  And even if you do, the districts are still done at the state level.  Those statehouses know where the undercounted people are because the Democrats in those Houses have already volunteered the under-counted information (or will here shortly when sessions start all across the nation).  A concentration in a handful of areas of under-repped people actually makes it easier to gerrymander, not harder.  The lines will actually looks goofy to the outside observer, 

If we can get HR-1 or something similar passed it would really get the ball rolling on safeguarding our democracy, including protecting voting rights. It passed straight party in the house and is immensely publicly popular so I’d think it can get through the narrow majority there. What are the prospects of getting that passed in a 50-50 senate?

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

If we can get HR-1 or something similar passed it would really get the ball rolling on safeguarding our democracy, including protecting voting rights. It passed straight party in the house and is immensely publicly popular so I’d think it can get through the narrow majority there. What are the prospects of getting that passed in a 50-50 senate?

Kamala Harris Listening GIF by Election 2020

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It appears the legislative filibuster will still be in effect, so the Democrats  would have to find at least ten Republicans to join them.

21 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Just leave this here.  Not the first time a black man and a Jewish man have helped save the South:

136968551_10224549517068758_280019765943

Read about that in the John Lewis autobiography. The Freedom Summer overall was extremely important, but that was one of the most malicious killings to have taken place during that time.

Edited by UpperWestside

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

SAY HER MOTHER FUCKING NAME

Stacey Abrams Politician GIF by GIPHY News - Find & Share on GIPHY

If I had to pick an equivalent from the Civil Rights era to Stacey Abrams it would be Fannie Lou Hamer. There are some really cool parallels in the mindset of both women and what they overcame to accomplish their goals. I think Mrs. Hamer would've been extremely proud of what she just accomplished in Georgia through never giving up and never taking no for an answer. Abrams is going to get to do some positive work for the Deep South, and the country as a whole going forward, that would make any of the Civil Rights era giants smile.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

He Has won by the margin above recount, it is a done deal.

I don't think the victory is in doubt, but could 15K military/international ballots to be counted beginning Friday drop his margin below the .5% recount threshold?

3 hours ago, Tonesky said:

I don't think the victory is in doubt, but could 15K military/international ballots to be counted beginning Friday drop his margin below the .5% recount threshold?

They don't anticipate every single of those 15,000 ballots to be returned. They needed to be postmarked yesterday and received by Friday. Anywhere between none and all of the ballots sent out could come back, but a normal figure is about 70%. 

6 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I keep thinking about Loeffler going back to work. Imagine if a respected executive (she was) at your job went and showed her ass like that and then came back months later like “Hey guys what’s up?”

Martha McSally and Kelly Loeffler both lost in embarrassing fashion (historically red seats in historically red states) and both went right back to DC.  An honorable person would be like "I wasn't initially elected, I wasn't elected to serve this term and now I resign." 

The best part of this?

Perdue left the Senate on January 3, probably thinking he'd be back post haste with a fresh 6 year term.  He did not give a goodbye address.  He does not get to come back to give one, because he is not a Senator anymore.

(sorry GB didn't mean to quote you)

It's worth noting that the NYT needle had Warnock at 1.7% and Ossoff at 1.0% by about 20 minutes into receiving results which is almost exactly where they're going to end up. Sure, they had a pretty easy guideline to follow by using county results vs. the same county in November, but even still, impressive work.

Edited by BradInATX

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

It's worth noting that the NYT needle had Warnock at 1.7% and Ossoff at 1.0% by about 20 minutes into receiving results which is almost exactly where they're going to end up. Sure, they had a pretty easy guideline to follow by using county results vs. the same county in November, but even still, impressive work.

One thing I felt this brings home is the data guys are not super great at prognosticating into the future from blank slates, but once actual data starts coming in they are extremely accurate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Remember that the 3  needles, after some modification early on because they were too dependent on FL's results, ended up being extremely spot on in NC and GA by the time they were turned off for the night? 

By the time the needle turned off after Election Night, Georgia was at Biden +0.4 and Trump +1.1 in NC.   Biden won by 0.2 in Georgia and Trump won by 1.3 in NC.

People got some serious PTSD from the 2016 needle, but damn if NYT didn't figure their shit out this time around. 

18 minutes ago, G650 said:

One thing I felt this brings home is the data guys are not super great at prognosticating into the future from blank slates, but once actual data starts coming in they are extremely accurate.

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Remember that the 3  needles, after some modification early on because they were too dependent on FL's results, ended up being extremely spot on in NC and GA by the time they were turned off for the night? 

By the time the needle turned off after Election Night, Georgia was at Biden +0.4 and Trump +1.1 in NC.   Biden won by 0.2 in Georgia and Trump won by 1.3 in NC.

People got some serious PTSD from the 2016 needle, but damn if NYT didn't figure their shit out this time around. 

Yeah, agreed. They've definitely tuned their models well for day-of projections.

I saw some tweets that the data guys are basically saying that their models did really well in 2018 and in the GA special as well - essentially saying that there's a Trump X factor for 2016/2020 that they just can't account for. 

One other thing that wasn't really noted much in November because there was so much going on was that Trump's "X factor" was quite different from 2016 to 2020. In 2016, just about every single state ended up redder than polling indicated. The pollsters post-mortems talked about how when calculating Trump's odds, they didn't have the states synchronized enough - IE Trump doing 2% better than expected in Ohio probably meant he was 2% better everywhere.

In 2016 it was a totally different story. Some states (OH, FL, TX) went _much_ redder than the polling showed, but outside of those few states, the polling was actually pretty correct. The RCP average was dead-on in the entire rust belt, Georgia, North Carolina, Arizona, and Nevada. So it was the exact opposite of 2016. TX/OH/FL seemed to decouple from the rest of the states and Trump drastically overperformed his polling there.

Will be some really interesting case studies and postmortems coming out over the next couple of years, once there aren't things like coups and treason keeping journalists occupied.

Edited by BradInATX

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

For posterity: the only other item on the ballot was Public Service Commissioner. The Republican who won got more votes than either Perdue or Loeffler.

Now that is where people left it blank.  The 2 Senate races got 4.453 million votes each.  This race got 4.405 million.  Almost 50,000 blank ballots.  And that's a huge difference, because the margin right now is 45,805. 

Apparently people had no idea wtf this race was or that it was even there or was the PSC does. 

Now that is where people left it blank.  The 2 Senate races got 4.453 million votes each.  This race got 4.405 million.  Almost 50,000 blank ballots.  And that's a huge difference, because the margin right now is 45,805. 
Apparently people had no idea wtf this race was or that it was even there or was the PSC does. 

This is where I got the numbers. Maybe they have moved a little with mail in ballots and whatnot:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/ajcjobs/only-republican-leading-in-ga-runoffs-is-a-former-democrat-named-bubba/SOMW3IND3ZFMPON2H3WQNASCYE/%3FoutputType%3Damp

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Lauren, actually. Bubba to his friends.

When I first saw Lauren “Bubba” McDowell Jr. on a ballot, I was a little confused. When my wife was due with our kid and we were trying to pick a name, I looked up government lists of names going back to the beginning of the 20th century. It was amazing to see how many gendered names have switched since the early 1900s.

I know it don’t make a shit but I feel bad for Ossoff and Warnock. All the joy from their triumph has been completely shit on.

And Stacey Abrams too.

Only good thing about this mess is it’s now unlikely that Loeffler and Purdue pull any “THEY STOLE MAH ELECTION” garbage.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I know it don’t make a shit but I feel bad for Ossoff and Warnock. All the joy from their triumph has been completely shit on.

And Stacey Abrams too.

Only good thing about this mess is it’s now unlikely that Loeffler and Purdue pull any “THEY STOLE MAH ELECTION” garbage.

They don't strike me as the type to give a shit.  They're ready to get to work.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

And Stacey Abrams too.

Kelly def didn’t. She conceded 

And Stacey Abrams too.

Never feel bad for politicians. They never feel bad for you.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1