Bijan Robinson is special

SDG

On 12/30/2020 at 12:09 AM, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Dude has to be the second best RB in the conference heading into next season, right? He's behind Hall, am I missing anyone else?

I know others have already responded but he will easily be the best RB in the B12 next season unless he has some bizarre, huge sophomore slump or gets injured.

Put him on ISU and give him all of the carries that Breece had this season. I find it hard to beleive he wouldn't have run for more yards. 

You could give Herman a pass on literally everything else and the way that he managed Bijan this season would be a fireable offense on its own - especially since I'm of the opinion that had we utilized him better we would have gone 11-0 or 10-1 and been in the CFP.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I know others have already responded but he will easily be the best RB in the B12 next season unless he has some bizarre, huge sophomore slump or gets injured.

Put him on ISU and give him all of the carries that Breece had this season. I find it hard to beleive he wouldn't have run for more yards. 

You could give Herman a pass on literally everything else and the way that he managed Bijan this season would be a fireable offense on its own - especially since I'm of the opinion that had we utilized him better we would have gone 11-0 or 10-1 and been in the CFP.

Herman treated Bijan like the expensive sports car that you only take out to Cars and Coffee on the weekends. How he didn't average 12-15 touches a game boggles the mind, but then...MENSA. 

He wouldn’t have made that big of a difference. Offensive scheme & o-line play are insanely important to an RB’s success. Herman would’ve just had him running into a brick wall most of the season and broken him down. I’m glad he wasn’t the primary back this year, it was a waste of a season anyway & it saved Bijan a little wear & tear so that an actual offensive mind can better utilize him next year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Helobious said:

He wouldn’t have made that big of a difference.

You do realize that Ingram arguably cost us 2 games this season just on 2 plays, right? Ingram - who didn't even finish out the season playing for us - and may as well have never played a snap. 

Give KI's carries to Bijan against TCU and I seriously doubt we lose that game (assuming he was fit to play - pretty sure he suited up). Give Ingram's carries against OU (yeah - all 3 of them) to Bijan and I doubt we lose that game, either. Keontay was gone by ISU and Bijan actually got 17 touches, so call that a loss if you want. That gets us to 9-1 and Arlington. Suddenly it's much less of a wasted season. Shit, chalk the TCU loss up to wanting to give it to your more experienced guy on the last drive of the game, or wanting to be cautious because Bijan was late to practice that week, but instead come out with Bijan or even Rojo ffs (who was underutilized as well this season) against OU and score on the drive where KI fumbled and you're still probably 8-2 and in Arlington at the end of the season.

I get that Herman is gone so none of this really matters and it's all purely hypothetical - but saying that playing Bijan earlier and more often "wouldn't have made that big of a difference" when we had multiple wins and losses by the skin of our nutsack is ridiculous. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Heresy but I also think Sam was horrific at using audibles.  I know he was great interview so not allowed to criticize but damn did he run our RBs into stacked lines.  Maybe he wasn't allowed to audible so I should be more forgiving. 

Sam did a lot of shit that me me pull my hair out this season but blaming him for our RB woes because he wasn't audibling properly is a bit much for my taste. 

It is an interesting point, and I would be curious to know how much authority if any he was bestowed at the LoS.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You do realize that Ingram arguably cost us 2 games this season just on 2 plays, right? Ingram - who didn't even finish out the season playing for us - and may as well have never played a snap. 

Give KI's carries to Bijan against TCU and I seriously doubt we lose that game (assuming he was fit to play - pretty sure he suited up). Give Ingram's carries against OU (yeah - all 3 of them) to Bijan and I doubt we lose that game, either. Keontay was gone by ISU and Bijan actually got 17 touches, so call that a loss if you want. That gets us to 9-1 and Arlington. Suddenly it's much less of a wasted season. Shit, chalk the TCU loss up to wanting to give it to your more experienced guy on the last drive of the game, or wanting to be cautious because Bijan was late to practice that week, but instead come out with Bijan or even Rojo ffs (who was underutilized as well this season) against OU and score on the drive where KI fumbled and you're still probably 8-2 and in Arlington at the end of the season.

I get that Herman is gone so none of this really matters and it's all purely hypothetical - but saying that playing Bijan earlier and more often "wouldn't have made that big of a difference" when we had multiple wins and losses by the skin of our nutsack is ridiculous. 

You raise valid points.  But recall how shittastic the OL play was until injuries started shifting people around until youth could be served.  How we handled the OL this year is one of the more flabbergasting aspects of the season.

Maybe Bijan could have overcome that, but it's probably a big reason his earliest carries didn't reveal his talent.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

TCU is the only game this year he had zero touches, coincidentally the first game after he survived being turned into a scorpion in Lubbock. He wasn’t fit to play that day. 

Edited by Helobious
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

TCU is the only game this year he had zero touches, coincidentally the first game after he survived being turned into a scorpion in Lubbock. He wasn’t fit to play that day. 

Doesn't change my point. Said as much in the rest of my comment.

11 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Bijan is a special breed. Sark will deploy him like Najee Harris, expect Bijan will have 124 tds next season. 

Accuse me of being an eternal optimist, but I'm calling it now....If Bijan gets 124 tds next year, we win the NC and he is the unanimous Heisman trophy winner.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

DraftKings has Bijan at 25 to 1. 12 to 1 seems like terrible odds for such a speculative bet. 

Unfortunately I'm in AZ so my online betting sources are limited...  Beyond that; The post was just to signify that I'm 100% on the hype train.   

• Hook 'Em 2

11 players set to emerge as CFB’s next superstars

ByCHRIS HUMMER 8 hours ago

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/College-football-2021-preview-top-players-breakout-stars-Bryce-Young-CJ-Stroud-Bijan-Robinson-159698834/#159698834_1 

BIJAN ROBINSON, RB, TEXAS

10055189.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off

Robinson had a quiet start to the 2020 campaign, serving as the third back in a deep running back rotation. By season’s end, he radiated the potential that made him the top overall back in the 2020 class. Robinson finished the regular season with 173 yards on nine carries against Kansas State. Then he popped off in the Alamo Bowl with 183 yards and three touchdowns on just 10 carries.

Overall, Robinson averaged 8.9 yards a touch in 2020. Given Steve Sarkisian’s history with running backs – his past pupils include Najee Harris and Ronald Jones – Robinson promises to be the featured part of Texas’ 2021 attack. If that’s the case, Robinson has the potential to be the Longhorns’ top back since Ricky Williams.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This is a good video of every single attempt in chronological order:  (never want to see that Tech butt meet head play again but other than that it's a great review of the season he had).  

Edited by SDG
  • Hook 'Em 6

Cross-posting from Recruiting:

Bijan reminds me of Arian Foster. Doesnt have the complete top end speed but great blend of gliding, acceleration, power and most importantly vision

I compared him before to D'onta Foreman for the same reasons.  Yours might be a better comparison.  I don't get the Adrian Peterson comparison.  But, he can torch you on flare routes like OU did with AD and Demarco Murray.

Bijan's cutting ability is insane.  Unlike anybody I can think of.  A lot of his big runs late in the season started off tackle, then he'd find a seam, burst through it, and leave the front 7 in the dust.  Against KState, there was a TD where he was running at full speed to the endzone with an LB approaching from the side; he makes a subtle side-step and the LB doesn't even touch him.  Unreal.  If he had elite top-end speed, imo, he'd be a once in a decade type of player (looking at you Jamaal, Adrian).  Then again, elite top-end speed might negate some of the attributes that make Bijan so special.

Edited by Hmmm

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30730180/college-football-way-too-early-2021-all-america-team

RB Bijan Robinson, Texas Longhorns

Look for the 6-foot, 222-pound Robinson to pick up right where he left off to end his freshman season, especially with new coach Steve Sarkisian calling the plays. After shaking off a back injury, Robinson started the final six games and was tremendous with 220 or more rushing/receiving yards in each of his last two games. Robinson averaged 8.9 yards per touch last season to go along with a team-high 14 plays of 20 yards or longer.

• immamac changed the title to Bijan Robinson is special