COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

It can destroy your family but imma not gonna do anything to insure it doesn't happen again.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/northwest-arkansas-news/rogers-woman-loses-younger-sister-to-covid-19-it-destroys-your-family-in-a-blink-of-an-eye/

“She really didn’t think it mattered whether you were vaccinated or not because so many people that do get vaccinated end up getting sick anyway, and she hardly ever left her house,” Meyers said.

Meyers seeing firsthand the life-changing impacts of what could be a deadly diagnosis.

It destroys your family in a blink of an eye. One minute she was okay one minute she wasn’t.”

CLARA MEYERS, LOST HER YOUNGER SISTER TO COVID-19

Meyers said despite the death of her sister she has not and does not plan to get vaccinated.

You can't save people from themselves. 

• Rage+1 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/07/26/covid-vaccine-regrets/?utm_source=reddit.com

An Alabama mother who lost her son to covid says not getting the vaccine is her biggest regret

These days, Christy Carpenter finds strength in her family and faith. But on some days, one question keeps ringing in her head: “Why?”

After weeks of battling through oxygen treatments, her 28-year-old son died in the hospital two months after being diagnosed with covid-19.

Now in Carpenter’s Alabama home, the room belonging to Curt, her “beautiful baby boy” and firstborn, remains empty — a painful reminder of a life that could have been saved if the family had decided to get vaccinated, she said.

“It took watching my son die and me suffering the effects of covid for us to realize we need the vaccine,” the mother said. “We did not get vaccinated when we had the opportunity and regret that so much now.”

35 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Who the fuck is Phil Valentine and why should I care about what he says?

Conservative radio host in Nashville. I would be interested in knowing if his temp/permanent radio replacement is telling listeners to not be a Phil, and to get vaccinated. But why do I bet its more of Phil needs your prayers.

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

weird.  teachers unions don't want vaccine mandates.

Vaccine mandates are a slippery slope, if you want to incite and fuel anti vaxers start passing mandates and they will lose their shit.  People should be smart enough to get it on their own but obviously that’s not the case.   

Vaccine mandates are a slippery slope, if you want to incite and fuel anti vaxers start passing mandates and they will lose their shit.  People should be smart enough to get it on their own but obviously that’s not the case.   
But people aren't smart enough. That's why we need mandates for medical professionals, teachers, etc.
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Txzen said:

And you're still alive? That's good to hear. 

In all seriousness, while more neutralizing antibodies are generally a good thing, it's not clear yet what the increase is in protective benefit. 

Yeah, just for fun I got a Covid antibody test last week.  2nd shot was early February, so when offered I said why not.  Result was >250 u/ml.  I had read about people having >2500 u/ml, so I was initially a bit concerned.  But my doctor said there were two different tests with two different maximums - 250 and 2500.  So no way to know if I am 251 or 10,000.  

I asked her why not do the more sensitive test, and she said 250 u/ml is actually a pretty huge number when compared to how they look at protection from other similar diseases, and the Covid data's all over the place as far as (i) whether a bigger number matters, (ii) how big a number is "good immunity," and (iii) whether the number dropping even means anything.  She showed me one study that indicated 0.8 might mean the same thing as >2,500.  No one really knows yet.

• Hook 'Em 2

Look, the world/universe is, in parts, a cruel and indifferent place. If you wanna go full retard/anti-vaxx then that's up to you. I just hope you've taken care of your family, updated your will, and by god don't expect public/medicare funds to pay for your stupidity.

Is it really such a bad thing to get these idiots out of the gene pool? I don't think so. Good. Don't get a vaccine. Increase your odds of dying. Next.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

weird.  teachers unions don't want vaccine mandates.

The National Education Association strongly supports and encourages their membership getting the vaccine in comparison to other groups who oppose both vaccines and masks in principle, regardless of whether either is mandatory. Maybe you should focus your ire toward them instead.

In NYC, however, the union is on board:

At a news conference on Monday, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo avoided supporting a statewide measure like Mr. Newsom’s and argued most “public-facing” employees are municipal, not state workers, suggesting mandates were more of a question for localities.

Eric Adams, the Democratic nominee for mayor and Mr. de Blasio’s likely successor, declined to comment on vaccine mandates, but said through a spokesman that he would continue to work to get more New Yorkers vaccinated.

“Long term our goal must be to get the vaccination rates up — and I will continue to work with the governor and the mayor to partner government and resources with credible messengers in under-vaccinated areas,” he said.

Mr. de Blasio said the new measures were first steps and that more would follow.

He could face opposition from the city’s more than two dozen municipal unions. The president of one paramedics’ union, FDNY EMS Local 2507, which has 4,300 members, said on Monday that it opposed the new measures, which he said needed to be collectively bargained.

“The city and the mayor cannot simply disregard the civil liberties of the work force,” the president, Oren Barzilay, said in a statement.

But the United Federation of Teachers said it was on board with the new rules. New York City’s largest police union, the Police Benevolent Association, declined to comment.

22 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Quick scatter chart showing vaccination and current hospitalization rates for the 50 state plus DC and PR. There are outliers but the trend is clear. Don't get vaccinated, and your state #s go up. data source: NY Times.

Capture - Copy (2).JPG

Looks like the outliers are states where old white people go to retire. 

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

only thing that matters is Darwin cared enough to call his bluff. Another idiot learning the hard way.

Darwin is just pissed this guy lived long enough to reproduce.

25 minutes ago, bolverk said:

The National Education Association strongly supports and encourages their membership getting the vaccine in comparison to other groups who oppose both vaccines and masks in principle, regardless of whether either is mandatory. Maybe you should focus your ire toward them instead.

In NYC, however, the union is on board:

At a news conference on Monday, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo avoided supporting a statewide measure like Mr. Newsom’s and argued most “public-facing” employees are municipal, not state workers, suggesting mandates were more of a question for localities.

Eric Adams, the Democratic nominee for mayor and Mr. de Blasio’s likely successor, declined to comment on vaccine mandates, but said through a spokesman that he would continue to work to get more New Yorkers vaccinated.

“Long term our goal must be to get the vaccination rates up — and I will continue to work with the governor and the mayor to partner government and resources with credible messengers in under-vaccinated areas,” he said.

Mr. de Blasio said the new measures were first steps and that more would follow.

He could face opposition from the city’s more than two dozen municipal unions. The president of one paramedics’ union, FDNY EMS Local 2507, which has 4,300 members, said on Monday that it opposed the new measures, which he said needed to be collectively bargained.

“The city and the mayor cannot simply disregard the civil liberties of the work force,” the president, Oren Barzilay, said in a statement.

But the United Federation of Teachers said it was on board with the new rules. New York City’s largest police union, the Police Benevolent Association, declined to comment.

no ire.  the AFT rejected mandating vaccinations for teachers.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

While the AFT, for example, rejected the idea of compulsory vaccination for members, it did laud the update issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Tuesday recommending that both vaccinated and unvaccinated Americans who live in areas where Covid-19 transmission is “high” or “substantial” wear masks indoors.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/28/vaccine-mandates-labor-biden-501123

Again, I don't know why you're not pointing out and criticizing groups that fundamentally oppose masks and vaccines instead of picking at those that actually support their use - even if not "mandated" - because surely you're not trying to get political here on the news board.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

While the AFT, for example, rejected the idea of compulsory vaccination for members, it did laud the update issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Tuesday recommending that both vaccinated and unvaccinated Americans who live in areas where Covid-19 transmission is “high” or “substantial” wear masks indoors.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/28/vaccine-mandates-labor-biden-501123

Again, I don't know why you're not pointing out and criticizing groups that fundamentally oppose masks and vaccines instead of picking at those that actually support their use - even if not "mandated" - because surely you're not trying to get political here on the news board.

so not mandated.  got it.

@dcar00 Answer the following:

Do you support and encourage unvaccinated individuals over age 12 years to get the jab? Y/N

Do you support and encourage unvaccinated individuals to wear a mask in indoor public spaces? Y/N

Do you support a vaccine mandate for teachers and other federal, state, and local employees? Y/N

It's unlikely that an union would agree to a mandate that could lead to members being fired. This could go against the purpose of an union.

With a case of teachers or flight attendants, it actually does them very little protection if their co-workers are vaccinated by mandate but the students or passengers are not mandated. They spend most of their time with passengers/students not co-workers. 

It's completely logical that unions are opposed to mandates as it offers no protection.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

Vaccine mandates are needed because 25 percent of the population is both really stupid and thinks they are really smart. A sometimes lethal combination.

If in the past we catered to these people we’d still be dealing with polio and smallpox. Fuck their feelings and dumbass opinions. Some dude suffering a heart attack this winter shouldn’t have to wait in line for an ICU bed just because some dumbass thinks he’s smart. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Next thing you know we will require seat belts and require kids to get physicals before athletics.    There are tons of things that society has decided that its worth taking away your "individual rights" to protect society and you from yourself if you want to participate in said society.    No one is going to come to your house and hold you down or force you at gunpoint to get a vaccine but don't bitch because we don't allow you in certain places within our society.    Don't like them to fly?  Don't fly.   Don't want it at your job?  Find another one.     You don't have to take cruises etc etc

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Vaccine mandates are needed because 25 percent of the population is both really stupid and thinks they are really smart. A sometimes lethal combination.

If in the past we catered to these people we’d still be dealing with polio and smallpox. Fuck their feelings and dumbass opinions. Some dude suffering a heart attack this winter shouldn’t have to wait in line for an ICU bed just because some dumbass thinks he’s smart. 

This winter?  ICUs are filling up again right now in many states including Texas.

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

As we learned in elementary school, talk is cheap. It is interesting that in additional to rejecting the mandate only 60% of AFT members are vaccinated. There obviously is a gap in between what people say and what they do. Of course, I am assuming (reasonably) that the AFT speaks for the significant majority of teachers.

• Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Looks like Delta has some of the stragglers finally stepping up. Almost 1.5M doses administered the past 2 days. 7-day rolling average has gone from 498K/day on 7/19 to ~620K/day. 

Over 2.5M Americans have received first doses in the past 7 days.

I wonder how many of the first doses are early adopters of the 3-shot strategy. 

So my nutty unvaccinated qanon in-law screamed at my brother-in-law, his wife, and their oldest son, being vaccinated, can't be near her because they'l'll shed covid vaccine proteins and cause her fertility problems (she's in her 40s and never had a kid, and if she has one, the family will go to court and have it taken away from her).

So Covid was a hoax/not as bad as the flu.

But covid proteins will kill her.

Frustrated Ryan Gosling GIF

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So my nutty unvaccinated qanon in-law screamed at my brother-in-law, his wife, and their oldest son, being vaccinated, can't be near her because they'l'll shed covid vaccine proteins and cause her fertility problems (she's in her 40s and never had a kid, and if she has one, the family will go to court and have it taken away from her).

MIL's long time boyfriend is the same way.   He didn't change his routine one bit the past 18 months (and definitely never wore a mask), but as soon as she got vaccinated, he said he couldn't be around her because she would get him sick.  That only lasted a week or two, though.  Then it wasn't a big deal anymore, I guess.

SIL still won't let her or her kids around MIL for same reason.  Neither one are what I would call deep thinkers...

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

My favorite thing is still the antivaxxers refusing it because "it's a brand new medical treatment, we don't know how it works" and then as soon as they're in the hospital they want EVERY experimental treatment that's available. Consistency isn't their strong suit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Tell me that you're an idiot without telling me that you're an idiot, in 3 parts.

wy1xarzck2e71.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

wna9r72dk2e71.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

74t0pl3dk2e71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Can’t decide if the family statement leading with “out of an abundance of caution” was accidental or still trolling near the end. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

As we learned in elementary school, talk is cheap. It is interesting that in additional to rejecting the mandate only 60% of AFT members are vaccinated. There obviously is a gap in between what people say and what they do. Of course, I am assuming (reasonably) that the AFT speaks for the significant majority of teachers.

Source?

This survey of AFT members from back in April says otherwise:

Fully four out of five AFT members are already vaccinated (76%) or have a vaccination appointment (5%). Most have been vaccinated at a state or local
government site (60%), while 15% received their vaccinations at a pharmacy and 11% at work (including 79% in Healthcare and 31% of Public Employees).

Or are you just here to spread more misinformation, GRUhorn?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

That should make the unvacc'd feel even prouder come the season of the Birth of Christ.  "Not only did I maintain muh freedom, but I also helped prevent someone sick with cancer from receiving ICU care in a socialized medicine hospital!  'MURICA!"

2 hours ago, Muy Frio said:

Can’t decide if the family statement leading with “out of an abundance of caution” was accidental or still trolling near the end. 

That's pr speak for "HOLY FUCK WHO HAS HIS WILL, WE NEED TO KEEP HIM ALIVE UNTIL WE FIGURE IT OUT!" or some variation of that.

6 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Read the thread. You can figure it out. If you can't ... honestly could give two shits.

Apologies - I wast trying to edit but my internet has had rona. I mis-spoke - it was the UFT - the NYC teacher's union, so my bad. I'm not sure about all the other crazy conspiracy stuff you mentioned though.