COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I could continue to spam this thread with stories of irony and regret. You people who haven't gotten vaccinated yet, go get your fucking vaccination. You think it won't happen to you, or that you can beat it if you get it. So did all these people.

This isn't a contest between wills, yours vs govt/society/the left/whateverthefuck. It's not a fucking game to see who has the biggest, most free dick. It's life or death. Your only win is a chance to continue to gloat. The worst case loss is that your loved ones will dearly miss you.

Quit being a selfish prick, go get vaccinated. Then you can greatly improve your chance of living and can continue to call everyone else communists. Isn't that a much better life and outcome than me posting a link about your ironic death?

See the bolded text -- to these people, it's exactly that.  That's ALL it is.  This is flat-out toddler-grade "oppositional defiance disorder."  That's it.

If they realized that the government recommends drinking water when it's hot outside, they would absolutely refuse to drink anything on 100 degree days because "the evil globalist gubmint don't tell me what to do!"  That's it.  That's the entire calculus.  "The gubmint don't tell me what to do."

Evidence won't persuade most of these people.  Logic won't persuade them.  Facts won't persuade them.

The only thing that will move the needle is their death.  Not even their brutal suffering -- see the dipshit baseball coach above.  Only death will change their minds, by extinguishing them.  We are the dumbest fucking species.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

See the bolded text -- to these people, it's exactly that.  That's ALL it is.  This is flat-out toddler-grade "oppositional defiance disorder."  That's it.

If they realized that the government recommends drinking water when it's hot outside, they would absolutely refuse to drink anything on 100 degree days because "the evil globalist gubmint don't tell me what to do!"  That's it.  That's the entire calculus.  "The gubmint don't tell me what to do."

Evidence won't persuade most of these people.  Logic won't persuade them.  Facts won't persuade them.

The only thing that will move the needle is their death.  Not even their brutal suffering -- see the dipshit baseball coach above.  Only death will change their minds, by extinguishing them.  We are the dumbest fucking species.

Sadly, you are correct.  The “You’re not the boss of me!” mentality is killing people.  

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Agreed that's weird hill to literally die on. But here we are.

Let me put it another way for anyone on the fence about this.

If/when a dude dies because he was too stupid to get the vaccination, what does he think his friends and loved one's memories of him are going to be?

"Damn, I admire his patriotism and conviction willing to die to the end? He's a true patriot fighting for the soul of the nation"??????

Actually it'll be

"What a fucking idiot".  Forever he'll be remembered as the Idiot Father/Husband/Uncle/Brother/GrandFather/Uncle/Friend that needlessly died because of hubris and arrogance. He will die being a punch line for the living.

"Oh yea, let me tell you about my stupid fucking idiot Uncle..."

Edited by crash_davis

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Agreed that's weird hill to literally die on. But here we are.

Let me put it another way for anyone on the fence about this.

If/when a dude dies because he was too stupid to get the vaccination, what does he think his friends and loved one's memories of him are going to be?

"Damn, I admire his patriotism and conviction willing to die to the end? He's a true patriot fighting for the soul of the nation"??????

Actually it'll be

"What a fucking idiot".  Forever he'll be remembered as the Idiot Father/Husband/Uncle/Brother/GrandFather/Uncle/Friend that needlessly died because of hubris and arrogance. He will die being a punch line for the living.

"Oh yea, let me tell you about my stupid fucking idiot Uncle..."

blah blah blah, doesn't matter, owned tha libz.

Stop thinking.  They did.

3rd Pfizer shot report: The pharmacy gave me the vaccine a few minutes ago without any problems. I didn't explain it was my 3rd and they didn't ask. In the registration process, I was asked if I wanted my vaccine to be reported to the state. I answered No. 

I was concerned for a second when they typed my drivers license info into a computer. I was unsure how I would respond if they confronted me about already being fully vaxxed. But nothing happened.

During the 25-30 minutes that I was in the pharmacy, no one else was there for a vaccine. 

context for anyone not reading what I wrote earlier. I've already surpassed 6 months from my 2nd shot and I'm about to go on several trips.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2

Why did you get a third? And are you planning on a fourth anytime soon? Maybe mix it up and throw in a Moderna?

Edit:. I did read you're going on a trip and six months post 2nd shot.... But I don't think a third will prevent a breakthrough infection. If you get it, you get it. You just won't have a bad time like all the other unwashed.

12 minutes ago, mdleast said:

My wife and I both got the J&J (it was the only thing being offered when we went).    Sure would like some definitive guidance about being able to get a Pfiefzer or Moderna booster as it relates to the Delta variant. 

Same -- spouse got the J&J and we have a too-young-to-be vaxxed kid about to start middle school amidst Abbott's "no-mask mandates allowed" and no quarantining tomfoolery. Would rather not FAFO when the kid's inevitably exposed. 

My wife and I both got the J&J (it was the only thing being offered when we went).    Sure would like some definitive guidance about being able to get a Pfiefzer or Moderna booster as it relates to the Delta variant. 
Same here for my gf and I.

2 hours ago, mdleast said:

Definitely. Going to Greece and France soon so would really like some clarity here. 

22 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Does anybody know why Japan fell so behind in covid vaccination?

I’ve read that many in Japan distrust vaccines. 

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/12/23/national/japan-vaccine-history-coronavirus/

Japan’s modern vaccine unease has its roots in a measles, mumps and rubella inoculation that some suspected of leading to higher rates of aseptic meningitis in the early 1990s. Though no definitive link was established, the shots were discontinued, and to this day Japan doesn’t recommend a combined MMR shot.

The handling of the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine also looms large in public memory. After media coverage on claims the vaccine’s side effects included severe headaches and seizures, the health ministry in 2013 withdrew its recommendation for the shot, which has proven safe and effective in preventing cervical cancer. While it remained available on request, the vaccination rate plummeted from 70% to less than 1% currently. That may have led to an additional 5,700 deaths, according to one study.

5 hours ago, mdleast said:

You will be waiting a bit for something from the CDC but they are doing it in Canada and Uk with people that got AZ first done. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

That was a concern from day 1, I think, that these mRNA vaccines would provide “protection” but not sterilizing immunity. That seems to be the case, at least with the Indian strain or delta variant or whatever it’s called. It seems delta is more contagious but less deadly. The thing that I’m confused about is that ICU hospitalizations are going up sharply but deaths are not. I would think that ICU patients and deaths would go together. Unless the ICU treatments have improved significantly. I have no idea what kind of treatment they give in regular hospital rooms and ICU rooms.

That was a concern from day 1, I think, that these mRNA vaccines would provide “protection” but not sterilizing immunity. That seems to be the case, at least with the Indian strain or delta variant or whatever it’s called. It seems delta is more contagious but less deadly. The thing that I’m confused about is that ICU hospitalizations are going up sharply but deaths are not. I would think that ICU patients and deaths would go together. Unless the ICU treatments have improved significantly. I have no idea what kind of treatment they give in regular hospital rooms and ICU rooms.
It likely has to do with the age of those being placed in ICUs are younger now.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

Any thoughts on the Israeli data showing Pfizer is only 39% effective in preventing infection?

I've been following Israel closely as well since they can possibly foretell what is going to happen here. The same study also found pretty high effectiveness in preventing hospitalization (still 90% or so). 

What's interesting is that a recent UK study claimed 88% effectiveness for Pfizer against Delta infection.  This article today out of Israel offers a potential reconciliation.  Notice the different time lag in mass vaccination (Israel was much earlier in vaccinating folks).  

Anyway, my own (possibly bullshit) conjecture is the mRNA vaccines offer infection protection for a limited duration; they appear (at least for now) to offer longer protection against serious illness/hospitalization.  We're dealing with a novel vaccine against a novel virus, so what happens next is somewhat guesswork.  

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Looks  like they’re almost a Pre-treatment. 

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2021/07/23/provincetown-covid-vaccinated

Spoiler

A cluster of COVID-19 cases in Provincetown, Massachusetts, began with the July 4th weekend. The 14-day average number of cases per 100,000 in the town rose from zero on June 30 to 13.8 on July 14 — and is now at 176.

What makes the outbreak unusual is that two-thirds or more of the cases have been among fully vaccinated people, in an area boasting one of the country's highest vaccination rates.

• Fuck You 1

On 7/23/2021 at 10:05 PM, XYZ said:

Does anybody know why Japan fell so behind in covid vaccination?

TLDR: an archaic system with leadership hoping the solution would work itself out instead of requiring a decision. And the anti-vax folks.

There's a fairly big anti-vax population in Japan. On top of that, when the current vaccines started hitting the market, instead of buying them the Japan government sat on their hands hoping a local Japanese pharma company would develop, locally test, and have a vaccine ready soon. So when the local pharmas did not have anything ready and Japan decided to go with an overseas tested Pfizer, Moderna, etc., they were last in line to actually order the vaccines in a market where supplies had already thinned out. 

Further....despite what many believe, Japan is not technologically advanced which ends up making it super inefficient. Tons of bureaucracy relying on paper only, rare integration with the internet to do anything. So, when the vaccines finally did start arriving, the only way you could get the jab was by waiting for a piece of paper in the mail called a vaccine voucher containing your special code. Then, you could call a scheduling center with your special voucher code to get your name on the list at a clinic. So if you wanted a vaccine you were at the mercy of your local ward office mailing you a voucher. On top of that, Japan was only allowing medical doctors to administer the shot. Nurses and medical assistants were not allowed to, and it got to a point where dentists were asked to volunteer to help jab people because they were technically a doctor. But a nurse couldn't. So there were some logistical issues as well simply to get a shot in the arm.

Add on top of that the ongoing Olympics controversy and half-assed emergency lockdowns without enforcement, so the population has lost all trust in the government to get anything right. Leading to overall a lot of hesitancy on who and want to believe. Sounds familiar huh. 

Source: I lived in Tokyo through the COVID era and moved back to the US in April.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3rd Pfizer shot report: The pharmacy gave me the vaccine a few minutes ago without any problems. I didn't explain it was my 3rd and they didn't ask. In the registration process, I was asked if I wanted my vaccine to be reported to the state. I answered No. 
I was concerned for a second when they typed my drivers license info into a computer. I was unsure how I would respond if they confronted me about already being fully vaxxed. But nothing happened.
During the 25-30 minutes that I was in the pharmacy, no one else was there for a vaccine. 
context for anyone not reading what I wrote earlier. I've already surpassed 6 months from my 2nd shot and I'm about to go on several trips.

Any side effects so far?

1 hour ago, 4th_and_18 said:

Any side effects so far?

Thanks for asking. I previously had a strong reaction to the 2nd shot. Fever, chills, sweats and difficulty in sleeping mainly due to those symptoms. I experienced the exact symptoms with the 3rd but perhaps a bit less severe or maybe I was just better prepared. I do think it lasted a bit longer with the 3rd shot.  My shoulder swelled up this time which didn’t happen with the first 2 shots.

all in all, a crappy weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 9:28 AM, BrickHorn said:

Any thoughts on the Israeli data showing Pfizer is only 39% effective in preventing infection?

I believe it - but of the several folks I know who were fully vaccinated but still got in infected, none of them felt sick for more than a day. My 60yo FIL who's a bit overweight and still smokes and dips got a fever and nausea for a day, and then was just tired the next day, and yesterday was driving around on his tractor cutting grass and moving brush around. 

Even if you get infected post-vaccine, it's no longer a big or life threatening issue. It's just a flu (if you're vaccinated).

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I'll  seldom if ever celebrate the loss of a life but unfortunately we are going to see a shit ton of this.  I'd like to think that seeing  these types of stories would motivate the nons to get it but like we all have said above.  The nons are without reason or rationalization. 

6 minutes ago, midtown said:

I'll  seldom if ever celebrate the loss of a life but unfortunately we are going to see a shit ton of this.  I'd like to think that seeing  these types of stories would motivate the nons to get it but like we all have said above.  The nons are without reason or rationalization. 

This is all just a conspiracy from big media to push the mind control vaccines. /s

I for one welcome my 5G upgrade.

I assume places like Walgreens have a constant supply of vaccines these days? Or do they occasionally run out. Because I was picking up a script the other day, and there were about 15 people lined up to get vaxxed. As far as I can tell, they’ve always had shots because I occasionally see people walking up to get it, but I’ve never seen more than 1-2 people checking in, much less an actual line. Really hoping that’s a huge sign of people waking up.

• Hook 'Em 2

Today, Travis County crossed the 70% first shot boundary for the population over 12, using 2021 population estimates.  So if everyone gets second shots, we are 5-6 weeks away from "herd immunity" using just the vaccinated numbers.  Between the high vax rate and the delta spike, I think this is really the last wave for Travis.
Rural Texas ... y'all have a ways to go.

Good thing rural folks don’t come here all the time.

Just talked to an anti whose family is so far surviving the covids so far.  

They immediately used it as a platform for why vaccinations are a scam.   Claims the delta is just a hoax to get people to vaccinate.   I said that 99% of deaths are unvaccinated.  Says the media is lying which is their way to get a string to their conspiracy.   They then promptly send an article from the mainstream media about vaccinated deaths in Nashville.   I simply asked to be removed from their flat earth conspiracy discussion and that set them off.

• Hook 'Em 1

and another.
x7awlx18mdc71.png?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=f6313a6f7d68c3708253e79471cf37202cab6c57

I’ll join in shaming every last adult that skipped the vax out of sheer stupidity, but I can’t get behind that kinda shit with a 13 year old. At that age, there’s very little chance of doing anything other than what their parents tell them to do. This is an example of why the anti-vax crowd is so fucking disgusting. People that can’t get the shot are going to die. Their children who they’ve prevented from getting the shot are going to die. Other kids under 12 that can’t get it are going to die. There’s tons of collateral damage from their foolish, selfish, and misinformed decisions.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

It's not but I don't believe there is a process to prevent it. To my knowledge, Israel is the only country allowing a 3rd Pfizer shot. Worse case, I'm turned away if they somehow find out.
Also I wouldn't be doing this if I thought I was taking the shot away from someone else. But I don't believe that is the case.

Don’t feel guilty about that at all. I believe we’re coming up on the expiration date for tons of shots. You aren’t taking anything away from anybody but the garbage man

16 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I’ll join in shaming every last adult that skipped the vax out of sheer stupidity, but I can’t get behind that kinda shit with a 13 year old.

I'll agree that for a very very large percentage of children covid medically at this point seems to be a non-event and so I can understand and respect the hesitancy.   Unless you're child is high risk and not trying to be a jerk but by the looks of the picture that girl is likely high risk.   IF we are going to use stats and science to back vaccines then we can't blame parents who use stats and science to make a case for not vaccinating kids. 

Edited by midtown

On 7/23/2021 at 1:41 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Sadly, you are correct.  The “You’re not the boss of me!” mentality is killing people.  

As a descendant on both sides of Scots, I’m a firm believer in the mantra of “Fuck you, I won’t do what you tell me!”

But as with all things in life, it has its limits.  This is one of them.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 10:28 AM, BrickHorn said:

As somebody who works with a lot of scientists: anything that’s done via press release without at least publicly  released data sets should be viewed with extreme skepticism. 

This wasn’t even a preprint study, much less something that was peer reviewed and published in a well regarded journal.  And they admitted their data is skewed.