COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

45 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Right, so I'm just asking to the broader audience, what is it about the covid vaccination that is a bridge too far for some people in a free nation of compromises?  

I just think like has been proposed before, if you're not vaccinated you can't do certain things.  What those things are?  Not sure, but seems like travel via Airplanes would be one of them.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I just think like has been proposed before, if you're not vaccinated you can't do certain things.  What those things are?  Not sure, but seems like travel via Airplanes would be one of them.

We could go back to the 70's old school mode.  A vaccinated section on the airplane and an unvaccinated section on the airplane.  In the unvaccinated section, you also smoke and take other personal liberties.  

But yeah airline travel is good example.  Texas Tough Guy, "Not gonna have the vaccine forced on me by the government!  What's that you say?  Sure, I'll arrive two hours early, not pack my firearms, take my shoes off, be dangerously x-rayed, patted down in the undercarriage by another man, and pay extra money for the pleasure that's literally called 'The September 11th Fee', to sit in a tube where I can't smoke or get drunk and wear some pussy-ass seat-belt...but I'll be goddamned if I'm gonna get a shot in the arm to protect myself and everybody else in that metallic tube...that's just too much infringement on this Texan's freedom!"  

Edited by Lobo

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We could go back to the 70's old school mode.  A vaccinated section on the airplane and an unvaccinated section on the airplane.  In the unvaccinated section, you also smoke and take other personal liberties.  

sealed container in cargo - so they don't harm the innocent dogs down there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

These people are literally so fucking stupid.  The plane could begin an emergency landing, the oxygen things would come down from the ceiling and they'd protest it, "I ain't wearing no mask!  Muh freedoms!"  I like the sealed container in cargo.  I mean, after all, God gave them a robust immune system to be able to combat things like no oxygen and complete lack of pressurization.  

I like this little surge we're having right now in terms of new shots in new arms.  I think a whole summer of telling other people (who didn't even ask btw), "Nah man, I didn't get the shot.  I ain't having that shit forced on me."  After awhile of nobody really thinking that's interesting or brave, lot of people just giving up like, "Aw shit, guess I'll go get it.  Have to find another way to differentiate myself at the beach."  

Other than maybe open carrying an AR-15 around the Capitol, the "government ain't forcing this vaccine on my body!" is the weirdest 'Freedom Flex' to me.  You wanna impress me with your love of liberty?  Start a business.  Start a religion.  Go sky diving naked.  Go hunt a polar bear.  Make a statue of John Birch.  Smoke crack at a public library and take a shit on the books you don't like.  Do something fucking cool and unique with your freedoms.  

Starting a conversation, "Just so you know...I ain't vaccinated and not gonna be" is fucking annoying.  You're just a fat version of a cross-fitter vegan from NYC.

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

But yeah airline travel is good example.  Texas Tough Guy, "Not gonna have the vaccine forced on me by the government!  What's that you say?  Sure, I'll arrive two hours early, not pack my firearms, take my shoes off, be dangerously x-rayed, patted down in the undercarriage by another man, and pay extra money for the pleasure that's literally called 'The September 11th Fee', to sit in a tube where I can't smoke or get drunk and wear some pussy-ass seat-belt...but I'll be goddamned if I'm gonna get a shot in the arm to protect myself and everybody else in that metallic tube...that's just too much infringement on this Texan's freedom!"  

Edited by Muy Frio
  • Fuck You 1

Mole family vaccine breakthrough update: 

- not dead yet.

- Mrs. Mole and I both are having symptoms of a mild head cold so far. I credit either the vaccine or the horse worm paste for this.

- One day, my pee smelled like asparagus pee, without eating any asparagus. It could be the horse worm paste, but I haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere as a symptom.

- I lost my sense of smell in the past hour or so. It’s weird. It seems like a good time to get in the habit of only eating healthy food, since you can’t taste it anyway.

- We spent our summer in a cautious normal, doing things but avoid high risk situations, yet we still got sick. The doctor told me that she’s seen an uptick of breakthrough cases. My guess is that breakthrough cases will be relatively common. I have a feeling that delta is going to be wild as kids go back to school.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

What do you think about maybe separate bathrooms and water fountains? 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Mole said:

Mole family vaccine breakthrough update: 

- not dead yet.

- Mrs. Mole and I both are having symptoms of a mild head cold so far. I credit either the vaccine or the horse worm paste for this.

- One day, my pee smelled like asparagus pee, without eating any asparagus. It could be the horse worm paste, but I haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere as a symptom.

- I lost my sense of smell in the past hour or so. It’s weird. It seems like a good time to get in the habit of only eating healthy food, since you can’t taste it anyway.

- We spent our summer in a cautious normal, doing things but avoid high risk situations, yet we still got sick. The doctor told me that she’s seen an uptick of breakthrough cases. My guess is that breakthrough cases will be relatively common. I have a feeling that delta is going to be wild as kids go back to school.

You talking about ivermectin?

20 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I have a feeling life is about to get a lot more uncomfortable for anti vaxxers in the US in the coming months.

Hopefully the vaccinated/pro mask people will team up and massively shun those who refuse to be part of the solution.  Make them into second class citizens and shit in their heads constantly until they come around.

Hopefully the vaccinated/pro mask people will team up and massively shun those who refuse to be part of the solution.  Make them into second class citizens and shit in their heads constantly until they come around.

At this point, I’m also shunning the vaccinated that don’t wear a maskwhrn necessary. Do your part you fucksticks. Doing what’s right is rarely easy…like getting a vaccine.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mole said:

One day, my pee smelled like asparagus pee, without eating any asparagus. It could be the horse worm paste, but I haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere as a symptom.

Maybe your pee smells like asparagus again. You wouldn’t know now. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

What are you talking about? I am not anti-vaccine. I think you might just be reflexively going to talking points. I think we probably agree, so I'm not really sure from where the vitriol is coming. 

You’re not fooling anyone you oh so agreeable troll. I can see posting your bullshit on Facebook where you can influence the morons. You are not doing jack shit here, so why bother.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Muy Frio said:

What do you think about maybe separate bathrooms and water fountains? 

We go live to an experimental water fountain for stupid people and/or anti-vaxxers.  Next thing we know, they should have their own schools.  

I think you're missing my point, which is because the vaccines are effective and every adult has had the chance to get it then covid risk is on each individual and not on others. If one believes the vaccines work then one should reasonably feel comfortable returning to normal at whatever one's particular level of risk. Said another way, acting like an adult. That was my initial point: I should not have to change my life because someone refuses a basic, common sense step of getting a vaccine. 

I came across a dumbass the other day who shared this sentiment…so I’ll say to you the same basic thing I said to him. The danger in believing and spouting these kind of bullshit statements about vaccine effectiveness and “personal risks” is pretty much exactly like you saying “hey, if getting a driver’s license and obeying traffic laws lowers your personal risks of getting hurt or killed in a car accident, then you should do that and then you wouldn’t have to worry about how fast or dangerously I drive my own car.”

When it comes to this virus and these vaccines….we’re all out here sharing the same road so to speak and your attitude is that things should be fine if only half the number of drivers drove safely and the other half drove recklessly.

It just doesn’t work that way.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

At this point, I’m also shunning the vaccinated that don’t wear a maskwhrn necessary. Do your part you fucksticks. Doing what’s right is rarely easy…like getting a vaccine.

They said there would be no need for masks once I was vaccinated.

This is never going to end.  Seriously.  The manipulation and control is so intoxicating...

One of the biggest arguments I've had with one of my over the top super scared as fuck friends is that the vaccine wouldn't be enough.  They like the masks because it's instantly identifiable as compliance, and their perception is what matters.   

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

They said there would be no need for masks once I was vaccinated.

This is never going to end.  Seriously.  The manipulation and control is so intoxicating...

One of the biggest arguments I've had with one of my over the top super scared as fuck friends is that the vaccine wouldn't be enough.  They like the masks because it's instantly identifiable as compliance, and their perception is what matters.   

Lol so you think that masks are only for performative purposes and have nothing to do with literally blocking the spread of virus containing droplets? 

SLORCH'D

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Lobo said:

Every single one of us forsakes liberties and changes our lives numerous times throughout the day because of the stupidity of other citizens.  Every single day.  Several times a day.  

As Jim Jeffries puts it: we can only walk as fast as our slowest citizen. 

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Lol so you think that masks are only for performative purposes and have nothing to do with literally blocking the spread of virus containing droplets? 

SLORCH'D

He means well but he just doesn't know any better. Slorch is full of terrible ideas that he mistakes as wisdom but he is genuine when he is attempting to impart the wisdom of Slorch. Like a toddler offering you a mushy cookie that has already been chewed on.

Edited by F250
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

He means well but he just doesn't know any better. Slorch is full of terrible ideas that he mistakes as wisdom but he is genuine when he is attempting to impart the wisdom of Slorch. Like a toddler offering you a mushy cookie that has already been chewed on.

2d8c4e32-aa26-493d-bb62-273ac82e1a4d_tex

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Honest question because I don’t have time to read all of the arguments…is the concern that hospitals are going to be overrun because of anti vax people?  Seems like a lot of those people have already had it and are more unlikely to get delta than those who are vaccinated who have not had COVID.  Or is the anger towards people who specifically have not been vaccinated and not been infected?

Edited by htown85

6 minutes ago, htown85 said:

Seems like a lot of those people have already had it and are more unlikely to get delta than those who are vaccinated who have not had COVID.  

There isn't any proof that COVID illness based immunity is any stronger than the vaccine. OR vice versa. The one thing experts know is that you can still get COVID after both, but usually less severe. 

1 hour ago, htown85 said:

Honest question because I don’t have time to read all of the arguments…is the concern that hospitals are going to be overrun because of anti vax people?  Seems like a lot of those people have already had it and are more unlikely to get delta than those who are vaccinated who have not had COVID.  Or is the anger towards people who specifically have not been vaccinated and not been infected?

I can see the correlation with the likelihood that an antivax person also would have been antimask and anti social distancing.  But I don't know that that necessarily means that a large number of antivax people have already had a strain of covid, particularly since those of us who socially distanced, masked, and eventually were vaccinated, propped them up during previous waves.  That is to say, the data just isn't out there. 

What we are seeing is that an extreme majority of hospitilizations now are unvaccinated people, which currently is causing tremendous strain on our healthcare resources, particularly ICU capacity.  I, for one, think the concern/blame is well placed. 

/not a doctor

Edited by dcbc

19 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You're a dishonest fuckstick because you consistently take the position that a person choosing to remain unvaccinated affects only that person.

It is false.  It is demonstrably false.  It is a lie.  A lie that you relentlessly push.  Which means that you must be doing so in bad faith, and to harm us collectively.  Stop pushing a lie, and I'll stop negging you and calling you what you are -- a fucking piece of shit liar who is actively working to hurt the community I live in.

This is why I keep coming back to surly. 

So, how worried do I need to be about Delta?

Entire family is vaccinated and my vaccinated 80 year old FIL cancer survivor lives with us. Prior to this latest flare up, we had returned to normal as I was going back to the office most days, having lunches and dinners with clients and colleagues and not wearing a mask anywhere.

I’m starting to worry that I need to shut things back down again. I’ve started masking up in common spaces at the office and will go back to only getting groceries via curbside. Eating at restaurants is likely out as well.

What’s the latest in breakthrough infections in the not so healthy elderly?