2018 NFL Draft

Machinator

I appreciate how the Seahawks went out of their way to take so many Longhorns in both the draft and UDFA, but it's laughable that they didn't take an OL until the 5th round. And the fact that they took a rb in the first round when they have no Oline. Their game plan is literally let Russell Wilson run for his life, put the team on his back, and if he can't make it happen just trot Michael Dickson out there and he'll probably pin them inside the 10. 

18 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I appreciate how the Seahawks went out of their way to take so many Longhorns in both the draft and UDFA, but it's laughable that they didn't take an OL until the 5th round. And the fact that they took a rb in the first round when they have no Oline. Their game plan is literally let Russell Wilson run for his life, put the team on his back, and if he can't make it happen just trot Michael Dickson out there and he'll probably pin them inside the 10. 

Hey don't knock it. That strategy will get them to the Texas Bowl.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

Agreed - very surprising. Whoever picks him up as an UDFA is going to end up with a productive Vincent Jackson type receiver for years.

Allen signed with J-Ville.

Yeah, it was actually kind of shocking.  Allen was projected in the teens for WR and what, 30 got picked?  My Chigaco Bears of course fucked up and took Wims (UGA) who is shorter (and lighter) and had fewer yards, receptions and TDs than Allen in 2018...and same 40 & 3 cone times.

On 4/29/2018 at 8:46 AM, theaveragejon said:

Texas had the most players drafted from the state schools with 4.

Aggy 3

smu 3

tech 2

utep Utsa Sam uh and sfa 1

Nobody from Baylor rice unt and Texas state. 

do you have a breakdown by conference?  seemed like an embarrassingly low number taken from the big12 overall.

Matt Millers way too early 2019 mock draft has Collin Johnson as a first round pick:

The Pick: Collin Johnson, WR, Texas

The Dallas Cowboys made interesting moves at wide receiver in the 2018 draft—trading Ryan Switzer to Oakland, acquiring Tavon Austin from Los Angeles, not selecting a receiver early—and will head into the upcoming season with a need for a playmaker down the field. Texas' Collin Johnson at 6'6" can be the downfield weapon and red-zone nightmare the Cowboys so badly want.

Johnson does need to improve upon his production from the last two seasons and prove to scouts he can run well enough to separate from NFL defenders, but his size and hands are already getting buzzed about as teams prepare for the upcoming college season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2773297-2019-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-way-too-early-predictions

OB Draft Analysis:

No. 2 - My annual NFL Draft Breakdown ... 

You knew it was coming because I do this every single year, so let's not waste any time in getting right to it. I love this stuff.

A few things that need to be established.

1. There are currently 128 FBS programs playing college football in 2018, which means there are 10,9865 scholarship players in college football if every school has maxed out its 85-man scholarship limit.

2. From 2013-2015 (the three classes that almost exclusively made up the 2018 NFL Draft Class), Rivals.com rated on the average 3,972 players per year (including JUCO and prep schools), with the average star distribution breakdown looking like this:

Five stars (6.1): 34.67
Four stars (6.0): 44.67
Four stars (5.9): 85.00
Four stars (5.8): 212.67
Three stars (5.7) 286.33
Three stars (5.6) 358.67
Three stars (5.5) 599.00
Two stars (5.4) 968.33
Two stars (5.3) 716.00
Two stars (5.2) 666.33

With those numbers serving as the foundation of the average Rivals.com recruiting class numbers over a three-year window, let's break down what the numbers look like over the course of all seven rounds of the NFL Draft this year, beginning with a look at the numbers in the first round:

Five stars (6.1): 8
Four stars (6.0): 0
Four stars (5.9): 3
Four stars (5.8): 7
Three stars (5.7) 3
Three stars (5.6) 5
Three stars (5.5) 2
Two stars (5.4) 1
Two stars (5.3) 1
Two stars (5.2) 0
Unranked: 2

Here's what that translates to when you crunch the numbers:

a. 23.08-percent of five-star (6.1) prospects were drafted in the first round.
b. 0.00-percent of high-four star (6.0) prospects were drafted in the first round.
c. 3.53-percent of mid-four star (5.9) prospects were drafted in the first round.
d. 3.29-percent of low-four star (5.8) prospects were drafted in the first round.
e. 1.07-percent of high-three star (5.7) prospects were drafted in the first round.
f. 1.39-percent of mid-three star (5.6) prospects were drafted in the first round.
g. 0.33-percent of low-three star (5.5) prospects were drafted in the first round.
h. 0.01-percent of high-two star (5.4) prospects were drafted in the first round.
i. 0.14-percent of mid-two star (5.3) prospects were drafted in the first round.
j. 0.00-percent of low-two star (5.2) prospects were drafted in the first round.

The thing that just jumps out you is the incredible presence of five-stars in the first round, as nearly a fourth of all players drafted were among the top 0.87-percent of all players that are ranked in the Rivals rankings. While the five-stars didn't quite perform as well as the 2017 NFL Draft Crop (10 of the top 32 picks were former five-stars), the overall emphatic level of dominance of that position group when measured against any other tier is staggering.

Big picture translation: 23.08 percent of the first-round pie was comprised of the top 0.87-percent of all players ranked by Rivals.

Now let’s take a look at the top three rounds.

Five stars (6.1): 13
Four stars (6.0): 8
Four stars (5.9): 5
Four stars (5.8): 23
Three stars (5.7) 8
Three stars (5.6) 15
Three stars (5.5) 11
Two stars (5.4) 5
Two stars (5.3) 1
Two stars (5.2) 0
Unranked: 11

a. 37.50-percent of five-star (6.1) prospects were drafted in the first three rounds.
b. 17.91-percent of high-four star (6.0) prospects were drafted in the first three rounds.
c. 5.88-percent of mid-four star (5.9) prospects were drafted in the first round.
d. 10.81-percent of low-four star (5.8) prospects were drafted in the first three rounds.
e. 2.79-percent of high-three star (5.7) prospects were drafted in the first three rounds.
f. 4.18-percent of mid-three star (5.6) prospects were drafted in the first three rounds.
g. 1.84-percent of low-three star (5.5) prospects were drafted in the first three rounds.
h. 0.52-percent of high-two star (5.4) prospects were drafted in the first three rounds.
i. 0.14-percent of mid-two star (5.3) prospects were drafted in the first three rounds.
j. 0.00-percent of low-two star (5.6) prospects were drafted in the first three rounds

Now let’s take a look at all seven rounds.

Five stars (6.1): 20
Four stars (6.0): 13
Four stars (5.9): 18
Four stars (5.8): 41
Three stars (5.7) 40
Three stars (5.6) 27
Three stars (5.5) 26
Two stars (5.4) 31
Two stars (5.3) 8
Two stars (5.2) 10
Unranked: 33

a. 58.22-percent of five-star (6.1) prospects were drafted in one of the seven rounds.
b. 29.10-percent of high-four star (6.0) prospects were drafted in one of the seven rounds.
c. 21.18-percent of mid-four star (5.9) prospects were drafted in one of the seven rounds.
d. 19.28-percent of low-four star (5.8) prospects were drafted in one of the seven rounds.
e. 13.97-percent of high-three star (5.7) prospects were drafted in one of the seven rounds.
f. 7.53-percent of mid-three star (5.6) prospects were drafted in one of the seven rounds.
g. 4.34-percent of low-three star (5.5) prospects were drafted in one of the seven rounds.
h. 3.20-percent of high-two star (5.4) prospects were drafted in one of the seven rounds.
i. 1.12-percent of mid-two star (5.3) prospects were drafted in one of the seven rounds.
j. 1.50-percent of low-two star (5.6) prospects were drafted in one of the seven rounds.

Added Takeaways

* As was the case in the early rounds, the five-star position as a whole regressed back to the mean of this group's annual numbers after a massive spike in the 2017 Draft (83.16-percent of all five-stars were drafted). The fact that the position as a whole posted a number that's lower than the mean from the numbers posted in this decade was probably connected to last year's massive rise of the performance numbers.

* While the production of the five-stars dipped, the performance of the middle and lower-tiers of four-star prospects improved considerably, so much so that this year's four-star class of prospects performed better as a whole than it ever has at any point in the decade.

* The high three-star ranking continues to be on a different level of performance than the middle- and low-three star rankings in the Rivals system. In a normal year, the 5.7 three-star often performs near the levels of a mid- or low-four star, but the performance of those rankings this year meant that the high three star was outperformed by near 2:1 levels at a minimum by four stars, but performed at near 2:1 levels against the other three stars.

* Perhaps the most interesting trend that continued this year is that the high majority of five-stars (65.0-percent) selected in the draft were taken in the top three rounds. While 8 five-star prospects were taken in the first round, the position averaged less than two per round in the final three rounds. Even against improved four-star numbers, a five-star was 6.5X more likely to be drafted in the first three rounds than players that rank as mere national top 250 prospects coming out of high school.

No. 3 - Talent from Texas under-performs ... again ...

[IMG]

The state of Texas did it again.

In what it is becoming more than a worrisome trend, the top prospects in the state of Texas continue to perform at levels far below the national norms.

Of the first 10 prospects selected in the draft from the Lone Star State, only two (Connor Williams and Malik Jefferson) were four- or five-stars in the Rivals.com rankings. One year after Myles Garrett, Jamal Adams and Soloman Thomas helped neutralize the annual trend of four- and five-star prospects from Texas developing at levels below the national averages, twice the number of three-stars from Texas were drafted in the first three rounds as four stars and five stars added together.

Even more staggering, Texas produced three of the five (Williams, Jefferson and DeShon Elliott) four- or five-star prospects that the state produced for the draft this year. Texas A&M defensive back Armani Watts and Oklahoma State receiver Marcel Ateman, both low-four star prospects, were the only other two high-level prospects that developed into drafted players.

This isn't just a burnt orange problem, it's an everyone using prospects from the state of Texas problem, since all of out-of-state programs recruiting the state, along with likes of Oklahoma, TCU, and LSU, failed to have a single high-level prospect from the state of Texas drafted over seven rounds.

Hell, everyone eligible for the Alabama roster was seemingly selected other than former five-star/part-time starter Tony Brown.

It's a scary proposition for schools that depend on recruiting "elite-level" talent from this state. Yes, that means the University of Texas, too.

No. 4 - Turning pro came at a cost for Texas players ...

Turning pro did not really work out well for the Longhorns that left early.

Connor Williams was once thought to be a first-round pick and he went in the middle of the second round.

Malik Jefferson left thinking he'd be a first- or second-round pick, but dropped into round three.

DeShon Elliott turned his all-America season into a sixth round draft slot.

Holton Hill went undrafted.

Same with Chris Warren.

[IMG]

Of course, the likes of Williams and Jefferson will still sign contracts that will give them some instant security with smart financial planning and making any kind of money can be better than making none ... but still ... this early departure stuff didn't quite work out for anyone, not even Michael Dickson, who was the first punter drafted, but went in the fifth round.

A case can be made that all of the drafted Longhorns landed in spots that will serve them well in trying to create a spot on the roster for themselves, but outside of Williams and Jefferson, there won't be much in the way of signing bonuses or guaranteed money for the others.

If I'm Tom Herman, the results of this year's draft will serve as an annual cautionary tale for every junior thinking of making the leap forever more.

BUY or SELL: Texas will double its lot of drafted players from the 2018 draft (4) to the 2019 draft (8)?

(Sell) I think we'll see more than four, but not quite eight.

BUY or SELL: There's more to the Holton Hill story than we know. No way he went undrafted strictly because of marijuana?

(Buy) It's not just weed, it's likely the volume of times he crossed into dangerous eligibility areas because of marijuana.

No. 9 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... I kind of thought the Cowboys had a nice draft. I'm not sure how much better this draft class will make them, but up and down the draft list are players that I think can/will serve roles moving forward. I'm not sure there's a star in the bunch, but I can definitely see each of the first five picks becoming contributors/future starters.

... On one hand, I think the Cowboys picked up a future starter in Connor Williams and on the other hand, his play from last season has me questioning just what the first part of my sentence means.

... Is Geoff Swaim about to be the starting tight end in Dallas?

... If you're DeShon Elliott and you're going to be drafted in the sixth round, at least get drafted by a team that didn't draft your competition for a roster spot in a higher round. Mission accomplished in Baltimore.

... I think Roquan Smith is going to be a multiple-time All-Pro with the Bears and possibly the best player selected in the top 10.

... Sony Michel is going to be a fantasy star in 2018 with the Patriots at some point. Same with Ronald Jones and the Buccs.

... I have zero confidence in Baker Mayfield succeeding in Cleveland. Wrong player, wrong team, wrong situation. I don't know how any NFL team could draft a Big 12 quarterback with the No. 1 overall pick. In the 20+ year history of the league, Vince Young is still the best pro quarterback that the league has ever produced.

... LeBron James is simply incredible. He's completely taken for granted at this point.

... My favorite thing about the Houston Rockets making a deep run in the NBA Playoffs is the opportunity it will create for P.J. Tucker to show the world just how valuable of a player he really is.

... Damn, Golden State looked good on Saturday night.

... Of course, Jose Mourino beat Arsene Wenger on a Marouane Fellaini goal in the 91st minute on Sunday. Of course, that happened.

The recent NFL draft should be a cautionary tale for every current Texas Longhorn football player.

Texas football coach Tom Herman has individual meetings with multiple players after the Texas Tech loss last season. Each person was fed up and ready to leave the program. He pleaded with them to stay one more year. Herman tried to explain what NFL scouts told him about their draft status. Each player was told by the NFL Draft Advisory Board to stay in school. However, their mind was made up, and staying one more year was not an option.

Their sentiments reflected the belief of several players at that time. They endured back-to-back 5-7 seasons and was humiliated during a loss against Kansas. Charlie Strong was fired and replaced by Tom Herman, who was more focused on creating a new culture than making friends. Everyone knows Herman challenged players, set high expectations, and rubbed some people the wrong way. The players were compliant, but after a season-opening loss against Maryland, the unhappiness crept back. The “here we go again” mentality returned. That loss ended what little bit of buy-in Herman had left with some players. Nothing changed until bowl preparations. The energy within the locker room was different. The hostility was gone. There was no longer an “us vs. them” mentality among players and coaches.

When you look at this recent NFL draft, and this offseason, every current Longhorn player needs to realize the importance of buying in.

Even if they are buying in for selfish reasons.

I am not the type of person who likes to knock young men for pursuing their dreams. It is so easy to sit on the outside and judge their decisions. Young people are going to make mistakes. We all made dumb decisions at that age. Nevertheless, we understand sometimes you have to let them make bad decisions in order to grow. I will probably criticize a 40-year-old for making bad decisions before I rip a 20-year-old for their mistakes.

However, we can fairly say there had to be guys wondering what the hell went wrong during the NFL draft.

Connor Williams thought he would be a first-round pick. Malik Jefferson believed he could be a first or second-round pick. DeShon Elliott thought he would at least be a second-day pick. Holton Hill was led to believe he would hear his name called on day two. Some NFL draft analysts believed punter Michael Dickson might be drafted by the third-round (a punter getting drafted is still one hell of an achievement). Chris Warren III expected to hear his name called at some point. Again, I am not going to knock guys for pursuing their dreams. There are people working for companies they hate, barely making a living, or have not taken a real vacation in years. Guys who leave school early are taking a risk, and even if they fail, at least they tried.

Unfortunately, not “buying in” usually hurts the player more than a coach.

Herman woke up on Sunday morning and is doing just fine. He signed several talented players in this year’s recruiting class. Herman is actively pursuing high school players he wants to sign. He has replaced the guys who left. In other words, Herman’s life has gone on. Players have to remember in college football, and even the NFL, you are replaceable.

That is why it is important for players to bury their pride at times and take advantage of their opportunities.

You rarely, if ever, hear players talk about how Nick Saban is a father-figure to them. We never hear warm and fuzzy stories about Urban Meyer. If you think about the NFL, Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are not friends at all. However, smart players, like Brady, realize you do not have to best friends with a coach to achieve the success you want.

Imagine if Warren put his pride aside and decided to buy-in. Sure, it had to be frustrating not to get the ball. Every Longhorn observer believed Warren deserved more touches, especially in that crucial moment against USC. He clearly did not like his H-back role at Texas. Warren left because he was unhappy, but worsened his situation by not having good enough grades to attend another college program.

As of right now, Warren has not signed with a team as an undrafted free agent. The one thing I know about the NFL is highly coveted undrafted players are usually signed within a few hours of the draft. Anybody who is not signed by now will probably get a rookie minicamp invite, but that person is often a camp body.

You know else could have taken Warren's approach, but did not?

Breckyn Hager.

Last season, Hager went from starter to backup. He was also forced to switch positions. On the surface, it appeared Hager was getting phased out of the defense.

Hager did not complain. He did not threaten to leave. Instead, Hager kept grinding. Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando eventually switched Hager back to defensive end. Hager proceeded to have an immediate impact as a pass rusher, he had a great spring, could be a team team captain, and looks like a guy who should be drafted next year. 

Imagine if there was a full buy-in by Armanti Foreman. I mean it is hard to deny Foreman was the team’s best receiver last season. No receiver on the team came close to matching his season-high four touchdowns. I think Foreman will end up being the next Marcus Johnson – undrafted free agent who eventually has NFL success. 

However, I think we are talking about Foreman as a draft pick this weekend if his father picked up the phone to set up a face-to-face meeting with Herman instead of using it to tweet his dissatisfaction.

Former Texas receiver Reggie Hemphill-Mapps did not buy-in. Like so many young men, somebody advised him to leave and transfer to another program. Instead of getting everything he could out of his Texas experience, or practicing patience, Hemphill-Mapps will play for a junior college this season.

We heard several whispers about Texas receiver Devin Duvernay being unhappy and kicking the tires on potentially transferring. After contemplating leaving, Duvernay decided to rededicate himself to football, Texas, and more importantly, give Herman a real chance. Duvernay and Herman spoke prior to spring practice and found common ground. As a result of Duvernay’s decision to buy-in, he was the most improved player this spring, and has a chance to become an impact player this season.

Fortunately, for Herman, it looks like many guys are buying in. 

Obviously, that is not a direct correlation to success on the football field. During my four-year tenure, I was told Paul Boyette’s barbecue made the team closer, there was the summer of ping-pong, and a really cool pool party at Herman’s house. Like you, Texas needs to win on the field before any offseason story has regular season relevancy. 

However, each player should look at the recent NFL draft, this offseason, and realize the importance of buying in.

Sometimes buying in benefits the player more than anyone else.

Longhorn Draft stats (provided by UT)

Longhorn NFL Draft Notables
*The Longhorns four selections in the 2018 NFL Draft were the most among programs in the state of Texas and tied for the most in the Big 12 Conference.

*Texas has had 341 players selected in its draft history. The Longhorns entered the draft with the 11th-most selections all-time.

*There have been 44 UT players selected in the first round. Three (Tommy Nobis, 1966; Earl Campbell, 1978; and Kenneth Sims, 1982) have been selected first overall.

*The Longhorns set an NFL record when at least one player was taken in 76 consecutive drafts (1938-2013).

*Texas holds the record for most players taken in a single draft, with 17 going in 1984.

*Connor Williams is the first Longhorn offensive lineman drafted since Tony Hills in 2008.

*Williams is the first Longhorn drafted by the Dallas Cowboys since Geoff Swaim in the seventh round of the 2015 draft.

*Malik Jefferson is the first Longhorn linebacker selected since Jordan Hicks in 2015. He is the highest linebacker selected since Derrick Johnson in 2005.

*Jefferson is the first player drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals since Jordan Shipley in the third round of the 2010 draft.

*Michael Dickson is the first Longhorn specialist drafted since Jeff Ward (kicker) in the 11th round of the 1987 draft. He is the first UT punter drafted since John Goodson in 1982 and the highest specialist drafted since Russell Erxleben in the first round of the 1979 draft.

*Dickson is the first Longhorn drafted by the Seattle Seahawks since Earl Thomas in the first round of the 2010 draft.

*Dickson is the highest drafted punter since Bryan Anger was drafted in the third round of the 2012 draft by the Jacksonville Jaguars.

*DeShon Elliott is the first Longhorn safety since Mykkelle Thompson in 2015 to be drafted.

*Elliott is the first UT player drafted by the Baltimore Ravens since Chykie Brown in 2011.

Sports On A Dime

1. Some undrafted free agent info from UT:

Antwuan Davis (Detroit Lions)
Defensive back Antwaun Davis is expected to sign with the Detroit Lions. A native of Bastrop, Texas, Davis played in 44 games with 10 starts during his five-year Longhorn career. He made 52 tackles, two tackles for loss, two interceptions, three pass breakups, three fumble recoveries and one forced fumble during his career. He was named Big 12 Conference Defensive Player of the Week on Nov. 13, 2017 after totaling three tackles, two interceptions, a pick-six and a fumble recovery in a win over Kansas. Davis was a member of the Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll.

Poona Ford (Seattle Seahawks)
Defensive tackle Poona Ford is expected to sign with the Seattle Seahawks. A native of Hilton Head, S.C., Ford played in 46 games with 30 starts during his career. He was named the 2017 Big 12 Conference Defensive Lineman of the Year, also garnering first team All-Big 12 recognition from both the league’s coaches and the Associated Press. During his career, Ford registered 136 tackles with 20.5 tackles for loss. He added six quarterback hurries, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and blocked three kicks. Ford was a team captain in 2017 and was twice a member of the Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll.

Ford on signing with the Seahawks: “Seattle was a team that flew me out for a visit and showed real interest in me, so that really meant something. It’s a beautiful place and a beautiful city that I fell in love with, and I think it will be a good situation for me."

Armanti Foreman (Minnesota Vikings)
Wide receiver Armanti Foreman is expected to sign with the Minnesota Vikings. A native of Texas City, Texas, Foreman joins his twin brother D’Onta (Houston Texans) in the NFL. Foreman played in 45 games with 21 starts during a four-year career with the Longhorns. He made 86 receptions for 1,070 yards and 11 touchdowns in the burnt orange and white. He caught more than 30 passes in each of his last two seasons, and concluded his career with an 18-yard rushing touchdown in a Texas Bowl victory over Missouri. Foreman was a member of the 2014-15 Academic All-Big 12 Rookie Team.

Foreman on signing with the Vikings: “I chose the Vikings because they wanted to give me an opportunity and wanted to sign me. It’s always been a dream of mine to play in the National Football League and them giving me that opportunity is something I was really excited about. The Vikings are a great organization, and I’m excited to have the opportunity to play with them.”

Jason Hall (Seattle Seahawks)
Defensive back Jason Hall is expected to sign with the Seattle Seahawks. A native of Grand Prairie, Texas, Hall played in 48 games with 32 starts during his career. He totaled 174 tackles with seven tackles for loss, five sacks, three interceptions, two forced fumbles and 10 pass breakups. In 2017, Hall started the final four games, becoming a force in the dime lightning package. He finished with 22 tackles, an interception, three pass breakups, two QB hurries and a sack.

Hall on signing with the Seahawks: “I just saw an opportunity in Seattle I just couldn’t pass up. I believe I’ll be a good fit for the defense and with the type of player I am I think I’ll be able to contribute a lot and try to help the team. They told me they were looking forward to having me join the team, and I’m really excited and can’t wait to get there.”

Holton Hill (Minnesota Vikings)
Defensive back Holton Hill is expected to sign with the Minnesota Vikings. A native of Houston, Texas, Hill played in 26 games with 20 starts in three years as a Longhorn. He totaled 121 tackles, three interceptions and 11 pass breakups. He returned all three interceptions for a touchdown, and finished his UT career tied second in both interceptions returned for a touchdown (3) and non-offensive touchdowns (4). He is one of just three players in school history to return an interception for a touchdown in consecutive games, doing so against Maryland and San Jose State to begin the 2017 season. In that game against Maryland, he became the first FBS player in the last 10 seasons to return both an interception and blocked punt for a touchdown in the same game. Hill was named honorable mention All-Big 12 in 2015.

Hill on signing with the Vikings: “I’m extremely excited and honored to have the opportunity to go up to Minnesota and play for the Vikings. It’s a blessing and something I’ve always dreamed of to play in the NFL. To have such a good situation with my position coach being Coach (Jerry) Gray, who is a Texas legend, to be there with me every step of the way to help me develop and grow, it’s going to make it that much more special. I can’t wait to start this new journey of becoming a Viking.”

Naashon Hughes (Green Bay Packers)
Linebacker Naashon Hughes is expected to sign with the Green Bay Packers. A native of Harker Heights, Texas, Hughes was a team captain for the Longhorns in 2017. He played in 50 games with 34 starts during his five-year career. He totaled 139 tackles with 19.5 tackles for loss and 11.5 sacks in his career. He added seven quarterback hurries, six pass breakups and two forced fumbles. In 2017, Hughes played in all 13 games and started the first eight, helping the Horns to a victory in the Texas Bowl over Missouri. He made six tackles against Maryland and five against USC.

Hughes on signing with the Packers: “It’s a situation for me trying to play outside linebacker and getting to learn from people like Clay Matthews, who is at the top of the game as far as outside linebackers are concerned, and going to a team like Green Bay that has a lot of veteran guys I can learn from and expand my game and get better. You can tell that it’s a winning program, and a program with a lot of history and tradition to it. They’ve got great fans and the crowd is crazy, so it’s everything you want in a team, and I’m ready to go up there and play football.”

2. Well, at least Connor Williams and Malik Jefferson were drafted on day two, but landed in good spots. Williams gets to pursue his NFL career in Texas, while Marvis Lewis clearly has nude pics of Cincinnati’s owners because he will never be fired. I think each player has a chance to be special in their respective NFL homes.

The 78th pick in this year’s draft, Malik Jefferson, gets a free Pizza Hut pizza once a week for a year. Why? 3.14 = Pi. Third round, 14th pick.

·         214 people are talking about this

mOgzqxS7dgsgk7On?format=jpg&name=small

When you FINALLY hear your clients name during the #NFLDraft lol @malikjefferson !! The wait is over! #Bengals Let’s go!!!!

·         52 people are talking about this

3. I was always skeptical about the draft prospects of Holton Hill and running back Chris Warren III. I wonder if Hill and Warren could hit the reset button today would they do anything differently? 

4. Props to Poona Ford for signing with Seattle as an undrafted free agent. If all goes well, he will make the practice squad this year and have a chance to make the 53-man roster next season.

5. I get the feeling Pete Carroll will definitely call Michael Dickson by name. Props to Dickson:

vcvGh5KR9IeSENvV?format=jpg&name=small

Michael Dickson receives rave reviews from Rich Eisen. Congratulations Michael! @NFLNetwork #NFLDraft #ThisIsTexas #TexasMade #HookEm

·         164 people are talking about this

VzLQNU4oeNrYpc_L?format=jpg&name=small

Doesn’t feel like real life. So honoured and thankful to be a part of the @Seahawks

·         409 people are talking about this

6. One of my friends who covers the NFL asked me a question on Saturday, and I wanted to pose it to you guys. Is there a player on this year’s team who could a first-round pick in the 2019 draft?

7. Always remember to use mock drafts for information, but do not expect accuracy. 

Awful Announcing: Grading the NFL mock drafts: Just how wrong did all those experts get it? http://dlvr.it/QR1W2S 

·          

·         See Ken Fang's other Tweets

8. The best story in this year’s draft. Heck, might be the best football story ever:

9. This is what Bills general manager Brandon Beane said about Dez Bryant during a recent interview, per ProFootballTalk.com.

“We’ll look at everything,” said Beane. “We have looked at Dez on tape, but I wouldn’t take it any further and I don’t know where that would go. We’re looking to get better at all positions and receiver is one, so if we thought that was the right fit for us we would potentially pursue it.”

Ouch.

Meanwhile, I have no issue with Dallas giving up a sixth-round pick for Tavon Austin. Dallas intends to use Austin as a “web back” who plays multiple positions, like Lance Dunbar. It looks like Dallas will have a “wide receiver by committee” approach this year. Having a great running back (Ezekiel Elliott) could make that approach feasible.

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

do you have a breakdown by conference?  seemed like an embarrassingly low number taken from the big12 overall.

Selections by college athletic conference

Conference Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Round 4 Round 5 Round 6 Round 7 Total
NCAA Division I FBS football conferences
SEC 10 10 6 6 4 8 9 53
ACC 6 4 7 9 6 6 7 45
Big Ten 4 5 3 7 7 5 2 33
Pac-12 4 4 4 4 5 7 2 30
Big 12 1 2 5 3 4 3 2 20
AAC 1 2 3 0 3 4 5 18
C-USA 1 1 1 2 1 2 2 10
MW 3 1 1 0 0 1 3 9
Ind. (FBS) 2 0 1 1 0 1 0 5
MAC 0 0 1 0 2 0 2 5
Sun Belt 0 0 1 1 0 2 0 4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_NFL_Draft

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

Yeah not good and Iowa State has the longest drought for P5 schools. They haven't had a player drafted since the 2014 draft. 

11 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Yeah not good and Iowa State has the longest drought for P5 schools. They haven't had a player drafted since the 2014 draft. 

Unfortunate for Iowa St that teams in this draft appeared to devalue the big tall 50/50 type WR's who lack top end speed.  I think in any of the past few years Lazard would have probably gotten drafted - but teams this year just didn't seem interested in those type of WR's.

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Unfortunate for Iowa St that teams in this draft appeared to devalue the big tall 50/50 type WR's who lack top end speed.  I think in any of the past few years Lazard would have probably gotten drafted - but teams this year just didn't seem interested in those type of WR's.

I also think he projects as a H-back/TE in the NFL more than a WR. Not sure if a team didn't think he could block well enough or what. 

Statistics: Inferring causation without proving it for decades. Texas sucks because if I control the timeframe of the data, I can make you believe anything because numbers look official as shit. 

Just saw that draft grade tweet. 

Lance Fucking Zierlen works for NFL.com? Of course that Aggy cock gobbler is a Texans homer and gave them a A-; when the majority cave them a C

17 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Still no Chris Warren III sightings I guess.  Dude had burned his bridges at Texas (or failed all his classes) and took the only path open to him, and now what?

Was just thinking about him.

I guess that his dad pays for a year of one-on-one TE tutoring, he plays a season of Canadian football as a TE and then hopefully gets invited to a rookie camp next year.

11 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Was just thinking about him.

I guess that his dad pays for a year of one-on-one TE tutoring, he plays a season of Canadian football as a TE and then hopefully gets invited to a rookie camp next year.

Think you have to play a minimum of 2 seasons in the CFL.

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

Still no Chris Warren III sightings I guess.  Dude had burned his bridges at Texas (or failed all his classes) and took the only path open to him, and now what?

E-sports? Seems to be his main passion. Or maybe try at H-back? I dunno. Flip a coin and decide.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Jesus, even Nickelson signed somewhere, it can't be that hard

On 4/30/2018 at 10:40 AM, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Selections by college athletic conference

Conference Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Round 4 Round 5 Round 6 Round 7 Total
NCAA Division I FBS football conferences
SEC 10 10 6 6 4 8 9 53
ACC 6 4 7 9 6 6 7 45
Big Ten 4 5 3 7 7 5 2 33
Pac-12 4 4 4 4 5 7 2 30
Big 12 1 2 5 3 4 3 2 20
AAC 1 2 3 0 3 4 5 18
C-USA 1 1 1 2 1 2 2 10
MW 3 1 1 0 0 1 3 9
Ind. (FBS) 2 0 1 1 0 1 0 5
MAC 0 0 1 0 2 0 2 5
Sun Belt 0 0 1 1 0 2 0 4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_NFL_Draft

Just for grins, I decided to break this down per P5 conferece by team to get a more accurate look at the picture. I don't think it's quite as gloomy for the Big 12 as the chart makes it look, though they are definitely in a down period. Most of the draft output in each league is dominated by a couple of teams and they all have bottom feeders that don't produce much.

Big 12 / 10 teams / 20 players drafted / avg 2 per team

Oklahoma 4
Oklahoma State 4
Texas 4
TCU 3

Texas Tech 2

West Virginia 1
Kansas 1
Kansas State 1

Iowa State 0
Baylor 0

===============

SEC / 14 teams / 53 players drafted / avg 3.8 per team

Alabama 11
LSU 7
Georgia 6
Florida 5

Auburn 4
Mississippi State 4
Ole Miss 4
Texas A&M 3
Tennessee 3

Arkansas 2

Missouri 1
Vanderbilt 1
South Carolina 1

Kentucky 0

===============
ACC / 14 teams / 45 players drafted / avg. 3.2 per team

Florida State 6
Virginia Tech 6
Miami 6

Louisville 4
Pittsburgh 3
North Carolina 3
Clemson 3
Boston College 3

Wake Forest 2
Virginia 2

Syracuse 1

Georgia Tech 0
North Carolina State 0
Duke 0

==========

Big 10 / 14 teams / 33 players drafted / avg. 2.4 per team

Penn State 6
Wisconsin 5

Illinois 4
Ohio State 4
Iowa 3

Michigan 2
Michigan State 2
Maryland 2
Indiana 2

Nebraska 1
Purdue 1
Northestern 1

Rutgers 0
Minnesota 0

============

Pac 12 / 12 teams / 30 players drafted / avg. 2.5 per team

UCLA 5
Washington 5

USC 4
Stanford 4
Arizona State 3

Oregon 2
Washington State 2
Cal 2

Utah 1
Colorado 1
Arizona 1

Oregon State 0

It would be interesting to take that same kind of breakdown over the last 10 years and replace the totals for one year with the average draft output over the last decade and see what it looks like.

But ain't nobody got time for that shit.

17 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Between being slow, often injured, having a bad attitude and playing out of position I really cannot see what the reluctance is. 

He'll probably end up where a lot of former football players end up after not paying enough attention to getting a worthwhile degree/getting good grades and hope their name recognition will help with fans who remember - auto sales or apartment finder.

Edited by Modessit

32 minutes ago, Modessit said:

He'll probably end up where a lot of former formal players end up after not paying enough attention to getting a worthwhile degree/getting good grades and hope their name recognition will help with fans who remember - auto sales or apartment finder.

Come on down to Chris Warren Kia of Beaumont for prices that can't be beat! I make deals harder than I hit Tech defenders.. remember that one time? $500 off and a free autographed photo of me running over that Tech guy!

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 2

This free peek at ESPN Insider made me chuckle (though probably fake).

Execs unfiltered on every team's picks

Arizona Cardinals

The 2017 Cardinals were fifth on defense and 29th on offense in ESPN's efficiency metrics. They acted accordingly in the draft, using their first four choices to select offensive players. It began with the trade up from the 15th pick into the 10th slot to select Josh Rosen, the talented and perpetually outspoken quarterback from UCLA.

"I was hoping they would stay at 15 and get Lamar Jackson, but I don't have a problem with what they did," an exec said. "Everybody recognizes the talent with Rosen, but he is not the top guy in the draft because nobody likes him."

The Cardinals were in a difficult spot. They needed a quarterback, but they couldn't realistically trade up high enough to have their choice. They would land whichever quarterback lasted long enough to reach within striking distance. Rosen was prickly out of the gates, saying he would not "come in and be an a--h--- and think that my s--- don't stink," despite being "pissed" that teams drafting ahead of Arizona made "big mistakes" in choosing other QBs.

Exec after exec said the same things about Rosen. One called the former UCLA quarterback a combination of Jeff George and Jay Cutler who would struggle to lead a team. Another worried that Rosen was not durable, comparing him to current Cardinals starter Sam Bradford.

"I think they have it set up right in Arizona because [offensive coordinator] Mike McCoy can speak the kid's language and talk fast enough to try to stay ahead of the kid so he does not get bored," an insider said.

An exec noted that quarterbacks coach Byron Leftwich, already considered future head-coaching material by former Cardinals coach Bruce Arians, would become a shooting star if he could help mold Rosen into a success.

"Byron will be good for the kid if Rosen allows it," an insider said.

This insider then let out a chuckle.

"Byron in about a week will probably want to take a poke at him," this insider continued. "He's from f---ing D.C., and he ain't having a cake eater walk in and act like an a--h---."

2 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

I didn’t realize Bucs fans existed. Respect.

We're few and far between here in Texas, but it's no longer a myth...we do exist. If I seem more ragey than most, it's because both my Horns and Bucs have driven me to the point of glue sniffing and jerking off to scat porn. It's all the same, right?

On 4/30/2018 at 6:39 PM, jettrink said:

Never eaten there, but the shit looked dry as a bone in that photo.

On 4/30/2018 at 8:09 PM, mr. sunshine said:

Plus throwing fried chicken right in there with the barbecue? The only thing missing is the Golden Corral fudge fountain 

Pecan Lodge is #2 in town behind Cattleack IMO and far from DAF status. The fried chicken is legit too.

SIAP but I saved Sports Illustrated's very first 2018 mock draft (posted 5/2/17) just to see how they did

Spoiler
    browns_150.png
    JOSH ROSEN
    QB, UCLA

Let’s not lock any quarterbacks into the top five 12 months early—Brad Kaaya was thought to be a 2017 QB1 contender at this time last year. But it does look rather apparent that the ’18 class will be built around the quarterbacks, and that Rosen, Sam Darnold and Josh Allen are going to have the most NFL hype headed into the coming season.

Depending on how DeShone Kizer’s development goes, the Browns may not need another QB next year. But it will be hard to get away from a quarterback in the top spot.

49ers_150.png
    SAM DARNOLD
    QB, USC
    Prepare yourself for months and month of hyper-analysis of Darnold’s funky throwing motion—he winds up and comes over the top like he’s spiking a volleyball. He has just 13 career starts under his belt, but he was phenomenal for USC last season and NFL teams are already buzzing about him.

jets_150.png
    ARDEN KEY
    DE/OLB, LSU
    This could go either direction. A dominant edge rusher, Key has top-of-the-draft level ability. He also just took a leave of absence from LSU in February for ”personal reasons,” has yet to rejoin the team and felt he had to announce over the weekend that he doesn’t plan to sit out his junior year.

rams_150.png
    DERWIN JAMES
    S, FLORIDA STATE
    The 2017 class again offered up a reminder that NFL teams just do not take safeties in the top three (1991 was the last time). So, slot in the versatile James at No. 4. First thing’s first, with regard to James’s immense talent: He has to stay healthy after a meniscus tear drove him to a medical redshirt last year.

bears_150.png
    MINKAH FITZPATRICK
    CB, ALABAMA
    Is he a cornerback or a safety? He played both for Alabama last year, moving to safety after Eddie Jackson’s season-ending injury, and he probably can line up either spot at the next level. Ironically, the Bears just drafted Jackson, in the X round.

jaguars_150.png
    JOSH ALLEN
    QB, WYOMING
    The Jaguars just picked up Blake Bortles’s fifth-year option, for the 2018 season. There still cannot be too many people within that organization convinced they have their long-term answer at QB. Allen, a 6' 5" prospect with a big arm, considered entering the ’17 draft before heading back for his redshirt junior year.

bills_150.png
    TYQUAN LEWIS
    DE, OHIO STATE
    Lewis played opposite Joey Bosa in 2015, then was the Big Ten’s defensive lineman of the year last season. He opted to stay in Columbus for his senior season, and he should be an easy first-round call if he has a solid year. Buffalo drafted Shaq Lawson in ’16, but Sean McDermott will want to keep stockpiling pieces off the edge. 

chargers_150.png
    MIKE MCGLINCHEY
    OT, NOTRE DAME
    It was a minor upset when McGlinchey decided to bypass the 2017 draft, especially given how shallow the OT pool was. He’ll head into his senior year among the top handfuls of tackles in the country. The Chargers fixed their guard spots last weekend, so they can find a tackle next draft.

lions_150.png
    BRADLEY CHUBB
    DE, NC STATE
    Chubb had a very strong game against McGlinchey, and he too was on the fence about the 2017 draft. Count on him to be consistently mentioned among the first-rounders for next year. He’s scheme-versatile off the edge with a well-rounded game.

eagles_150.png
    SAQUON BARKLEY
    RB, PENN STATE
    The (very) early expectation is that Barkley will lead the ’18 running back class, carrying the same hype as Ezekiel Elliott or Leonard Fournette. The likely Heisman contender has size and speed. It’ll be difficult for another RB prospect to bump him from the top spot.

redskins_150.png
    CALVIN RIDLEY
    WR, ALABAMA
    Terrelle Pryor is on just a one-year deal, so Washington could be on the lookout for a skill-position guy again next year. Ridley may not be a runaway WR1—Courtland Sutton, Christian Kirk, James Washington and Deon Cain are among a deep group—but he’s a gem.

dolphins_150.png
    CHRISTIAN WILKINS
    DT, CLEMSON
    Wilkins has played end, despite weighing in above 300 pounds, so his versatility can be a selling point. He has the look of an NFL anchor inside, though. He and Ndamukong Suh together would make for a dominant duo.

bengals_150.png
    TARVARUS MCFADDEN
    CB, FLORIDA
    A 6’2’ cornerback with speed? Yeah, that’ll play in the NFL. McFadden is coming off labrum surgery, but he should be good to go for the 2017 season. Cincinnati has a mess of players at CB, but it’s hard to say any of them really are standout lockdown defenders.

ravens_150.png
    COURTLAND SUTTON
    WR, SMU
    The second of those aforementioned top wide receiver prospects, landing on a team that many (including yours truly) assumed would take an early-round at that position in the 2017 draft. Sutton put up 1,246 yards last season and could surpass that total in ’18.

buccaneers_150.png
    SAM HUBBARD
    DE, OHIO STATE
    With Hubbard and Lewis teaming up off the edge, the Buckeyes’ defense will be a headache for opposing offenses. Either one could emerge among the top edge rushers in this class. The Bucs used their 2016 second-rounder on Noah Spence, but they could benefit from reinforcements.

titans_150.png
    DA'SHAWN HAND
    DT, ALABAMA
    DaQuan Jones is headed into the last season of his rookie contract, which means the Titans could have a hole to fill along their line by next April. Hand is the latest talented ’Bama defender up front, and his inside-outside game is reminiscent of Jonathan Allen’s.

saints_150.png
    MALIK JEFFERSON
    LB, TEXAS
    The light hasn’t always stayed on for Jefferson (a problem for which the previous coaching staff in Austin is at least partly responsible), but the athletic upside is there. He’s moving from ILB to OLB this season; the Saints could be in need of help either spot, depending on how well Alex Anzalone works out in 2017.

cardinals_150.png
    LAMAR JACKSON
    QB, LOUISVILLE
    Not sure there is a more entertaining prospective pairing among the 32 picks here than this one, which places the electrifying Jackson under Bruce Arians’s tutelage. How much progress Jackson shows as a passer this season will dictate how high he can climb as a draft prospect.

colts_150.png
    ROYCE FREEMAN
    RB, OREGON
    Freeman rushed for 1,845 yards during the 2015 season, only to see that total drop to 945 last year. If he can turn in a bounceback year under new Oregon coach Willie Taggert, Round 1 is very much within reach. A 220-plus-pound back with speed and great side-to-side movement can have success at any level. The Colts still don’t have Frank Gore’s replacement.

vikings_150.png
    MASON RUDOLPH
    QB, OKLAHOMA STATE
    This makes five quarterbacks off the board in our 2018 first round, and Rudolph is the most known commodity among them. Washington State’s Luke Falk could be in the mix, too, among others. The Vikings are down to the final year in the contracts of both Sam Bradford and Teddy Bridgewater.

panthers_150.png
    MARTINAS RANKIN
    OT, MISSISSIPPI STATE
    Michigan’s Mason Cole, another prospective 2018 first-rounder, is expected to play left tackle again this year after a year spent at center. Rankin may be headed the other direction, from LT to the middle—he handled the center job in the spring. A position switch would only add to his NFL appeal. The Panthers may regret their Matt Kalil contract sooner rather than later, and center Ryan Kalil’s deal is up after 2018.

bills_150.png
    CAMERON SMITH
    LB, USC
    (Pick via Kansas City) The Bills picked up a pair of linebackers on Day 3 this year, Matt Milano (Round 5) and Tanner Vallejo (Round 6). Even if one carves out significant playing time, Sean McDermott probably wouldn’t mind another playmaker. Smith has averaged 80.5 tackles over his first two USC seasons, despite missing time as a freshman.

giants_150.png
    HAROLD LANDRY
    DE, BOSTON COLLEGE
    He had a spot reserved on my 2017 “draft crushes” team, then decided to return to school. The first round should be well within reach for Landry next year, if he can come anywhere close to the 22 tackles for loss and 16.5 sacks he racked up last year. Letting him work in a rotation behind Jason Pierre-Paul and Olivier Vernon would set Landry up for success.

broncos_150.png
    RONNIE HARRISON
    S, ALABAMA
    A feisty 6' 3" safety who likes to lower the boom when he can. He’s only a one-year starter, so if he can maintain the momentum he picked up from 2015 to ’16, there’s little question he can propel himself into Round 1. T.J. Ward can hit free agency after this season.

browns_150.png
    JORDAN THOMAS
    CB, OKLAHOMA
    (Pick via Houston) There was some midseason talk that Thomas could climb into the upper echelon of this spring’s draft class at the CB spot. Talent-wise, he should be there in 2017. The big issue with him is off the field—he had two ’15 suspensions plus a ’16 arrest. Fourth-round pick Howard Wilson could be a good player for the Browns, but they eventually will have to load up at the cornerback spots.

steelers_150.png
    JORDAN WHITEHEAD
    S, PITTSBURGH
    The Steelers very well might have taken Jabrill Peppers had he lasted to No. 30 this year, and the obvious positive for Peppers is his versatility, so Whitehead’s game figures to be appealing. He’s shifting from strong safety to free safety this year and carries an all-around skill set.

falcons_150.png
    CHRISTIAN KIRK
    WR, TEXAS A&M
    There’s no need at wide receiver in Atlanta yet, but it’s best to get out in front of possible trouble spots—Taylor Gabriel can be a free agent after this season, and Mohamed Sanu’s deal gets rather expendable by June 1, 2018. Even if that duo and Julio Jones is still around, though, there could be room for a dazzling weapon like Kirk.

seahawks_150.png
    IMAN MARSHALL
    CB, USC

Don’t want to spend too much time worrying about player-team fits a year early, but ... well, a 6' 1" cornerback whose main drawback as a defender is that he’s too aggressive? Sure sounds like a Seahawk. Richard Sherman’s uncertain future could make the CB spots a pressing need for Seattle next spring.

raiders_150.png
    DERRIUS GUICE
    RB, LSU
    There are people who will tell you that Guice, not Leonard Fournette, was the real generational talent in LSU’s backfield last season. That’s setting the bar extremely high, but Guice could challenge for a very early draft slot himself. The Raiders are basking in Marshawn Lynch’s return for now, but that’s not a long-term marriage.

packers_150.png
    QUENTON NELSON
    G, NOTRE DAME
    Yet another Ohio State prospect, Billy Price, could have something to say about the projection of Nelson as next year’s top interior lineman—Price will follow in Pat Elflein’s footsteps, shifting from guard to center. That said, Nelson deserves the praise. He’s a bruiser up front, and he could help solve whatever lingering issues Green Bay has at guard ahead of 2018.

cowboys_150.png
    ORLANDO BROWN
    OT, OKLAHOMA
    Chaz Green could make the discussion moot with a strong 2017, but the Cowboys also could find themselves in need of a right tackle upgrade for ’18. Brown, a nasty run blocker at a staggering 6' 8" and 360 pounds, could be the guy to fill that role. He already has 26 starts to his credit at left tackle.

patriots_150.png
    JAIRE ALEXANDER
    CB, LOUISVILLE
    Alexander picked off five passes last season, including two against Clemson, and he’s also served as a punt returner for 2015 and ’16 (9.6 yards per return average). He may not be an Adoree’ Jackson carbon copy, but he fits a similar profile: versatility and blazing speed. If New England feels the loss of Logan Ryan this year, it could nudge a slot-corner option or two up its board.

Longcat is long and the formatting sucks because it's copy/pasted. Honestly, they didn't do bad, especially in the top half.

14 minutes ago, tokamak said:

SIAP but I saved Sports Illustrated's very first 2018 mock draft (posted 5/2/17) just to see how they did

Hide contents
    browns_150.png
    JOSH ROSEN
    QB, UCLA

Let’s not lock any quarterbacks into the top five 12 months early—Brad Kaaya was thought to be a 2017 QB1 contender at this time last year. But it does look rather apparent that the ’18 class will be built around the quarterbacks, and that Rosen, Sam Darnold and Josh Allen are going to have the most NFL hype headed into the coming season.

Depending on how DeShone Kizer’s development goes, the Browns may not need another QB next year. But it will be hard to get away from a quarterback in the top spot.

49ers_150.png
    SAM DARNOLD
    QB, USC
    Prepare yourself for months and month of hyper-analysis of Darnold’s funky throwing motion—he winds up and comes over the top like he’s spiking a volleyball. He has just 13 career starts under his belt, but he was phenomenal for USC last season and NFL teams are already buzzing about him.

jets_150.png
    ARDEN KEY
    DE/OLB, LSU
    This could go either direction. A dominant edge rusher, Key has top-of-the-draft level ability. He also just took a leave of absence from LSU in February for ”personal reasons,” has yet to rejoin the team and felt he had to announce over the weekend that he doesn’t plan to sit out his junior year.

rams_150.png
    DERWIN JAMES
    S, FLORIDA STATE
    The 2017 class again offered up a reminder that NFL teams just do not take safeties in the top three (1991 was the last time). So, slot in the versatile James at No. 4. First thing’s first, with regard to James’s immense talent: He has to stay healthy after a meniscus tear drove him to a medical redshirt last year.

bears_150.png
    MINKAH FITZPATRICK
    CB, ALABAMA
    Is he a cornerback or a safety? He played both for Alabama last year, moving to safety after Eddie Jackson’s season-ending injury, and he probably can line up either spot at the next level. Ironically, the Bears just drafted Jackson, in the X round.

jaguars_150.png
    JOSH ALLEN
    QB, WYOMING
    The Jaguars just picked up Blake Bortles’s fifth-year option, for the 2018 season. There still cannot be too many people within that organization convinced they have their long-term answer at QB. Allen, a 6' 5" prospect with a big arm, considered entering the ’17 draft before heading back for his redshirt junior year.

bills_150.png
    TYQUAN LEWIS
    DE, OHIO STATE
    Lewis played opposite Joey Bosa in 2015, then was the Big Ten’s defensive lineman of the year last season. He opted to stay in Columbus for his senior season, and he should be an easy first-round call if he has a solid year. Buffalo drafted Shaq Lawson in ’16, but Sean McDermott will want to keep stockpiling pieces off the edge. 

chargers_150.png
    MIKE MCGLINCHEY
    OT, NOTRE DAME
    It was a minor upset when McGlinchey decided to bypass the 2017 draft, especially given how shallow the OT pool was. He’ll head into his senior year among the top handfuls of tackles in the country. The Chargers fixed their guard spots last weekend, so they can find a tackle next draft.

lions_150.png
    BRADLEY CHUBB
    DE, NC STATE
    Chubb had a very strong game against McGlinchey, and he too was on the fence about the 2017 draft. Count on him to be consistently mentioned among the first-rounders for next year. He’s scheme-versatile off the edge with a well-rounded game.

eagles_150.png
    SAQUON BARKLEY
    RB, PENN STATE
    The (very) early expectation is that Barkley will lead the ’18 running back class, carrying the same hype as Ezekiel Elliott or Leonard Fournette. The likely Heisman contender has size and speed. It’ll be difficult for another RB prospect to bump him from the top spot.

redskins_150.png
    CALVIN RIDLEY
    WR, ALABAMA
    Terrelle Pryor is on just a one-year deal, so Washington could be on the lookout for a skill-position guy again next year. Ridley may not be a runaway WR1—Courtland Sutton, Christian Kirk, James Washington and Deon Cain are among a deep group—but he’s a gem.

dolphins_150.png
    CHRISTIAN WILKINS
    DT, CLEMSON
    Wilkins has played end, despite weighing in above 300 pounds, so his versatility can be a selling point. He has the look of an NFL anchor inside, though. He and Ndamukong Suh together would make for a dominant duo.

bengals_150.png
    TARVARUS MCFADDEN
    CB, FLORIDA
    A 6’2’ cornerback with speed? Yeah, that’ll play in the NFL. McFadden is coming off labrum surgery, but he should be good to go for the 2017 season. Cincinnati has a mess of players at CB, but it’s hard to say any of them really are standout lockdown defenders.

ravens_150.png
    COURTLAND SUTTON
    WR, SMU
    The second of those aforementioned top wide receiver prospects, landing on a team that many (including yours truly) assumed would take an early-round at that position in the 2017 draft. Sutton put up 1,246 yards last season and could surpass that total in ’18.

buccaneers_150.png
    SAM HUBBARD
    DE, OHIO STATE
    With Hubbard and Lewis teaming up off the edge, the Buckeyes’ defense will be a headache for opposing offenses. Either one could emerge among the top edge rushers in this class. The Bucs used their 2016 second-rounder on Noah Spence, but they could benefit from reinforcements.

titans_150.png
    DA'SHAWN HAND
    DT, ALABAMA
    DaQuan Jones is headed into the last season of his rookie contract, which means the Titans could have a hole to fill along their line by next April. Hand is the latest talented ’Bama defender up front, and his inside-outside game is reminiscent of Jonathan Allen’s.

saints_150.png
    MALIK JEFFERSON
    LB, TEXAS
    The light hasn’t always stayed on for Jefferson (a problem for which the previous coaching staff in Austin is at least partly responsible), but the athletic upside is there. He’s moving from ILB to OLB this season; the Saints could be in need of help either spot, depending on how well Alex Anzalone works out in 2017.

cardinals_150.png
    LAMAR JACKSON
    QB, LOUISVILLE
    Not sure there is a more entertaining prospective pairing among the 32 picks here than this one, which places the electrifying Jackson under Bruce Arians’s tutelage. How much progress Jackson shows as a passer this season will dictate how high he can climb as a draft prospect.

colts_150.png
    ROYCE FREEMAN
    RB, OREGON
    Freeman rushed for 1,845 yards during the 2015 season, only to see that total drop to 945 last year. If he can turn in a bounceback year under new Oregon coach Willie Taggert, Round 1 is very much within reach. A 220-plus-pound back with speed and great side-to-side movement can have success at any level. The Colts still don’t have Frank Gore’s replacement.

vikings_150.png
    MASON RUDOLPH
    QB, OKLAHOMA STATE
    This makes five quarterbacks off the board in our 2018 first round, and Rudolph is the most known commodity among them. Washington State’s Luke Falk could be in the mix, too, among others. The Vikings are down to the final year in the contracts of both Sam Bradford and Teddy Bridgewater.

panthers_150.png
    MARTINAS RANKIN
    OT, MISSISSIPPI STATE
    Michigan’s Mason Cole, another prospective 2018 first-rounder, is expected to play left tackle again this year after a year spent at center. Rankin may be headed the other direction, from LT to the middle—he handled the center job in the spring. A position switch would only add to his NFL appeal. The Panthers may regret their Matt Kalil contract sooner rather than later, and center Ryan Kalil’s deal is up after 2018.

bills_150.png
    CAMERON SMITH
    LB, USC
    (Pick via Kansas City) The Bills picked up a pair of linebackers on Day 3 this year, Matt Milano (Round 5) and Tanner Vallejo (Round 6). Even if one carves out significant playing time, Sean McDermott probably wouldn’t mind another playmaker. Smith has averaged 80.5 tackles over his first two USC seasons, despite missing time as a freshman.

giants_150.png
    HAROLD LANDRY
    DE, BOSTON COLLEGE
    He had a spot reserved on my 2017 “draft crushes” team, then decided to return to school. The first round should be well within reach for Landry next year, if he can come anywhere close to the 22 tackles for loss and 16.5 sacks he racked up last year. Letting him work in a rotation behind Jason Pierre-Paul and Olivier Vernon would set Landry up for success.

broncos_150.png
    RONNIE HARRISON
    S, ALABAMA
    A feisty 6' 3" safety who likes to lower the boom when he can. He’s only a one-year starter, so if he can maintain the momentum he picked up from 2015 to ’16, there’s little question he can propel himself into Round 1. T.J. Ward can hit free agency after this season.

browns_150.png
    JORDAN THOMAS
    CB, OKLAHOMA
    (Pick via Houston) There was some midseason talk that Thomas could climb into the upper echelon of this spring’s draft class at the CB spot. Talent-wise, he should be there in 2017. The big issue with him is off the field—he had two ’15 suspensions plus a ’16 arrest. Fourth-round pick Howard Wilson could be a good player for the Browns, but they eventually will have to load up at the cornerback spots.

steelers_150.png
    JORDAN WHITEHEAD
    S, PITTSBURGH
    The Steelers very well might have taken Jabrill Peppers had he lasted to No. 30 this year, and the obvious positive for Peppers is his versatility, so Whitehead’s game figures to be appealing. He’s shifting from strong safety to free safety this year and carries an all-around skill set.

falcons_150.png
    CHRISTIAN KIRK
    WR, TEXAS A&M
    There’s no need at wide receiver in Atlanta yet, but it’s best to get out in front of possible trouble spots—Taylor Gabriel can be a free agent after this season, and Mohamed Sanu’s deal gets rather expendable by June 1, 2018. Even if that duo and Julio Jones is still around, though, there could be room for a dazzling weapon like Kirk.

seahawks_150.png
    IMAN MARSHALL
    CB, USC

Don’t want to spend too much time worrying about player-team fits a year early, but ... well, a 6' 1" cornerback whose main drawback as a defender is that he’s too aggressive? Sure sounds like a Seahawk. Richard Sherman’s uncertain future could make the CB spots a pressing need for Seattle next spring.

raiders_150.png
    DERRIUS GUICE
    RB, LSU
    There are people who will tell you that Guice, not Leonard Fournette, was the real generational talent in LSU’s backfield last season. That’s setting the bar extremely high, but Guice could challenge for a very early draft slot himself. The Raiders are basking in Marshawn Lynch’s return for now, but that’s not a long-term marriage.

packers_150.png
    QUENTON NELSON
    G, NOTRE DAME
    Yet another Ohio State prospect, Billy Price, could have something to say about the projection of Nelson as next year’s top interior lineman—Price will follow in Pat Elflein’s footsteps, shifting from guard to center. That said, Nelson deserves the praise. He’s a bruiser up front, and he could help solve whatever lingering issues Green Bay has at guard ahead of 2018.

cowboys_150.png
    ORLANDO BROWN
    OT, OKLAHOMA
    Chaz Green could make the discussion moot with a strong 2017, but the Cowboys also could find themselves in need of a right tackle upgrade for ’18. Brown, a nasty run blocker at a staggering 6' 8" and 360 pounds, could be the guy to fill that role. He already has 26 starts to his credit at left tackle.

patriots_150.png
    JAIRE ALEXANDER
    CB, LOUISVILLE
    Alexander picked off five passes last season, including two against Clemson, and he’s also served as a punt returner for 2015 and ’16 (9.6 yards per return average). He may not be an Adoree’ Jackson carbon copy, but he fits a similar profile: versatility and blazing speed. If New England feels the loss of Logan Ryan this year, it could nudge a slot-corner option or two up its board.

Longcat is long and the formatting sucks because it's copy/pasted. Honestly, they didn't do bad, especially in the top half.

They really didn't do too bad. Looks like their worse miss was Tarvarus McFadden, the FSU CB who ended up going undrafted instead of in the first round.

2 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

They really didn't do too bad. Looks like their worse miss was Tarvarus McFadden, the FSU CB who ended up going undrafted instead of in the first round.

Breaking it down, where their 32 picks were actually drafted:

First round (12) - Rosen, Darnold, James, Fitzpatrick, Allen, McGlinchey, Chubb, Barkley, Ridley, Jackson, Nelson, Alexander

Second round (5) - Lewis, Sutton, Landry, Kirk, Guice

Third round (8) - Key, Hubbard, Jefferson, Freeman, Rudolph, Rankin, Harrison, Brown

Fourth round (2) - Hand, Whitehead

UDFA (2) - McFadden, Thomas

returned to school (3) - Wilkins, Smith, Marshall