Formula 1 2021

wood

i do love when a driver from a mid or bottom tier team gets on the podium or, by hook or crook, somehow wins the damn race.  reminds me of Gasly winning Italy last year.  so happy for Ocon.

and every week, us newbies learn more and more about the race strategies that play such a huge role.  that stuff doesn't come out as much on the Netflix show, which is more about personalities and drama.  today was just a great example of how the decisions made on the pit wall can dictate the results as much as the drivers' abilities.

now i'm kinda pissed i didn't start watching F1 until last year.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

today was just a great example of how the decisions made on the pit wall can dictate the results as much as the drivers' abilities.

Its more team strategy and engineering than driver. 
One of the irksome element of this is driver asking for “more power” over the radio. Like, if F1 is really about engineering to the limits, then let the driver have the discretion of reliability v performance. It shouldnt be the nerds on the pit permitting them to have more boost pressure or fuel flow or w/e

• Hook 'Em 2

Good for Ocon; out of F1 and now a race winner. Also I was impressed George, when Latifi was running P6, told the team to compromise his race to support Latifi; he seems a genuinely good kid who’d do really well in a top drive. Probably also a good time to remind Toto that he’s willing to play the team game, with silly season starting. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I mean I'm somewhat serious. Perez needs to be looking for an opportunity to just ride Hamilton through turn one during future race starts. What's the downside? A 5 place grid penalty the following race? Big deal.

I don't understand how Bottas didn't get a major penalty. It obviously wasn't intentional, but a completely boneheaded mistake took out 5 of the most popular drivers in the sport on turn 1. Seems like something F1 would want to have a strong reaction to.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Good for Ocon; out of F1 and now a race winner. Also I was impressed George, when Latifi was running P6, told the team to compromise his race to support Latifi; he seems a genuinely good kid who’d do really well in a top drive. Probably also a good time to remind Toto that he’s willing to play the team game, with silly season starting. 

I've said since last year that he should be in the Mercedes. Bottas, even though he did a great job today and will be amply rewarded by the folks in Stuttgart, should not be in that seat. We all saw what Russell could do in Hamilton's car last season.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I've said since last year that he should be in the Mercedes. Bottas, even though he did a great job today and will be amply rewarded by the folks in Stuttgart, should not be in that seat. We all saw what Russell could do in Hamilton's car last season.

We could know something about that 2nd Mercedes seat soon as the summer break is peak silly season. 

12 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Was there something nefarious or was it because he ran out of gas?

Apparently you must provide 1.0L sample if requested; AM could only get 0.3L out of the car. 

“Under the technical regulations, competitors must ensure that a 1.0 litre sample of fuel may be taken from the car at any time during the event – however it was only possible to take 0.3 litres from Vettel’s Aston Martin after Sunday’s race.”

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-vettel-loses-second-place-finish-in-hungary-after-disqualification.1hHxDLG0ARyAw6q2TCDkiS.htmlYeah 

Edited by Dutch

Damn that was entertaining.  Bumper cars.  An epic Mercedes fuck up leaves us with a standing start of 1 car on the grid.  Mercedes then outmaneuvers Red Bull.  Vettel dq'd.  Really FIA?  Ocon holds off Vettel for the entire race.  Alonso with the best defending I've seen in years.  That was fun.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Him bumping tires with Schumacher wasn't even looked at by the stewards.

Nor was when Alonso came down on Hamilton which was a little out of bounds.  But, props to Alonso, he did a great job.  In the end, great racing today and we all got to witness some serious race craft.  

• Like 2