Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

1 hour ago, randygilman said:

Development and enthusiasm and work ethic beat measuresables all day. Guys that try harder and give more effort always win. All other things being equal.”

That's what old white dudes like to think. The Uncle Rico syndrome. It's why they love the movie Rudy. Perhaps the most basic form of wishcasting. 

10 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

That's what old white dudes like to think. The Uncle Rico syndrome. It's why they love the movie Rudy. Perhaps the most basic form of wishcasting. 

The pyramids were built by some of the hardest working motherfuckers that ever walked this planet. Same for the train tracks in the US. The cotton fields and sugar cane fields saw some of the hardest working people in history. There are literally roads paved with bone fragments in Germany and Poland where people were "hard worked" to death. Fucking Dachau's gate tells you that the ethos of work will set you free. No monuments have been built for washing machines or most of these poor groups. Hard work unto itself isn't a virtue and people everywhere convince themselves otherwise every day. I don't think you can claim that "old white dudes" see it any differently than many, many others out there right now and through the annals of history.

So of course aggies would go there when they've got little else to lean on. They've always done it. Give me some physically elite SOBs, that are trained to work, train and play smart, and mix in the hard work as well, then you're differentiating from the competition. The fucking hard work aspect should be a given. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

The pyramids were built by some of the hardest working motherfuckers that ever walked this planet. Same for the train tracks in the US. The cotton fields and sugar cane fields saw some of the hardest working people in history. There are literally roads paved with bone fragments in Germany and Poland where people were "hard worked" to death. Fucking Dachau's gate tells you that the ethos of work will set you free. No monuments have been built for washing machines or most of these poor groups. Hard work unto itself isn't a virtue and people everywhere convince themselves otherwise every day. I don't think you can claim that "old white dudes" see it any differently than many, many others out there right now and through the annals of history.

So of course aggies would go there when they've got little else to lean on. They've always done it. Give me some physically elite SOBs, that are trained to work, train and play smart, and mix in the hard work as well, then you're differentiating from the competition. The fucking hard work aspect should be a given. 

I say old white dudes because like 98% of aggy grads are old white dudes. Even if they're 24 years old. They all think that they could out-wrastle a young whippersnapper for backsassing on good old fashioned gumption and the fightin' aggy spirit. 

33 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I have never seen Rudy. I never intend to. I lost track of the number of reasons why. Nevertheless, using it in any explanation of aggy foibles is a surefire way to earn my sympathy to your argument.

Meanwhile, my favorite part of that whole bit was "all other things being equal." Really? How would you know they were equal, if not for the measurables you were just decrying? Don't ever change, aggy. Oh, wait. You were never going to.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I say old white dudes because like 98% of aggy grads are old white dudes. Even if they're 24 years old. They all think that they could out-wrastle a young whippersnapper for backsassing on good old fashioned gumption and the fightin' aggy spirit. 

that's just some good bull from red-assed old army right there...do they call you sarge? I bet you and pappy like to eat some Slovacekski's sausage and talk about your great deal on insurance

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Meanwhile, my favorite part of that whole bit was "all other things being equal." Really? How would you know they were equal, if not for the measurables you were just decrying? Don't ever change, aggy. Oh, wait. You were never going to.

Exactly.  This is what made me laugh.  "All things being equal" I want the guy that works harder.  Yea, no shit.

But the question posed the sentence before was hard worker vs. good measureables.  It's like he got confused while typing.  And it's not as if those are the only 2 variables, nor are they binary.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, randygilman said:

I do love this post from ‘Fedup’ in the ag-vanced recruiting statistics thread 

Development and enthusiasm and work ethic beat measuresables all day. Guys that try harder and give more effort always win. All other things being equal.”

I didn't catch that. All other things being equal. Excellent.

edit: I just caught up. I laughed at the last sentence because it would just about have to apply to the measuresables [sic] the analyst disdains in the first sentence. What else would "all other things" mean?

Edited by RomaVicta

45 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

What else would "all other things" mean?

Well, this is aggy we're talking about. So it could be:

• Size of skiff leaning up against the side of house in north Houston suburb
  • Number of aggy related stickers on maroon pickup truck
  • Seconds it took to drink an entire pitcher of cheap beer without swallowing aggy ring
  • Responses received from letter to the editor explaining that you've lost your aggy ring
  • Weight (in metric tons) of your date to midnight yell
  • Price paid for the overalls that you've decorated with every symbol for 'I'm a moron' that you can think of
Edited by Walden Ponderer
  • Haha 1

So the board has decided that they've backed off of Ngata because they're in good position to land two of Evans, Smith, and Achane. But the mods declare the issue with Smith is he's taking so long to decide that there may not be room in the class (aka Stanford leads). That leaves Achane and Zachary fucking Evans as their assumed rb haul in 2020. 

They are absolutely going to whiff on rb in 2020.

• Like 1

Just now, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Do Aggies really believe that the post-grad network is any more impressive than any other big state school? Also, I can't see how factoring academics into Collins' recruitment would be an advantage.

They claim their network is the most powerful in the world. I remember a post over there in which one guy said, “Okay Stanford’s is better”, and he got mauled over that. They think they’ll get anyone on the fence or even not locked into another school “because of the network, Kyle Field, the traditions, and Jimbo”.

26 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Do Aggies really believe that the post-grad network is any more impressive than any other big state school? Also, I can't see how factoring academics into Collins' recruitment would be an advantage.

23 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

They claim their network is the most powerful in the world. I remember a post over there in which one guy said, “Okay Stanford’s is better”, and he got mauled over that. They think they’ll get anyone on the fence or even not locked into another school “because of the network, Kyle Field, the traditions, and Jimbo”.

It doesn't matter if it is true or not. It obviously isn't. The only thing that matters is if the recruits believe it. And they tend to repeat it often enough that it appears to be somewhat effective.

24 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

It doesn't matter if it is true or not. It obviously isn't. The only thing that matters is if the recruits believe it. And they tend to repeat it often enough that it appears to be somewhat effective.

Lulz that they sell the "aggy Network" to these kids. It ain't set up to help football players, unless you're Luke Joeckel or Ryan Swope. It ain't there to benefit Johnny Jolly.

• Like 1

Of course the aggy network is more impressive...if you’re interested in calving, waste management, or urinal installation.

2 hours ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

2 hours ago, George Clooney said:

Of course they believe it. They were told something positive about their school, and even though it’s a absolute fabrication, they will believe that lie until the world explodes. Other notable lies they believe as absolute fact are 1. They had the most WW2 veterans 2. They have the highest school endowment. 2. They have the most CEOs in America 3. That made up quote from General Patton. 4. They were the first college created in Texas...The list is fucking endless. 

It’s the same reason they think they’re going to get every recruit that visits them. They view themselves as LSU or Florida when in reality they are Miss. State. Why? Because they tell each other they are and ban any thinking to the contrary. So when a recruit gets an offer from LSU or Oklahoma, they can’t fathom a world where they’re not equals and hence should obviously be the choice. But the rest of the county sees the recruit choosing between Miss State and LSU, and EVERYONE knows what the end result will be 

• Like 6