Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

Do Aggies really believe that the post-grad network is any more impressive than any other big state school? Also, I can't see how factoring academics into Collins' recruitment would be an advantage.
When I hear about the "network" first thing that comes to mind of hamm. Here is a diehard aggy douche pumping sunshine and he cant hold down a pool cleaning job.

14 minutes ago, markstanco said:

When I hear about the "network" first thing that comes to mind of hamm. Here is a diehard aggy douche pumping sunshine and he cant hold down a pool cleaning job.

Yeah, but that was because of the power of the Surly Network, which is much more prestigious and influential than the aggy network. We crown kings and expose jesters. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

Lulz that they sell the "aggy Network" to these kids. It ain't set up to help football players, unless you're Luke Joeckel or Ryan Swope. It ain't there to benefit Johnny Jolly.

Are you saying people in Katy won't buy insurance from an African-American?

25 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wasnt majors film getting beaten at the opening him playing Center for the first time in drills that don’t favor OL at all? Not that I think he’s a top 75 player, just you know context. 

Yes

The senior hudl looks great, especially when the traits are translated to center after a year or two of S&C and technique work 

16 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

So the board has decided that they've backed off of Ngata because they're in good position to land two of Evans, Smith, and Achane. But the mods declare the issue with Smith is he's taking so long to decide that there may not be room in the class (aka Stanford leads). That leaves Achane and Zachary fucking Evans as their assumed rb haul in 2020. 

They are absolutely going to whiff on rb in 2020.

i would be a million percent shocked if EJ Smith picked A&M over Florida or Stanford. like fall out of my chair shocked.

• Like 1

The aggy network is designed to get middle management jobs for aggy similar to what daddy98 does for a living.  So if Alfred Collins is interested in working for Paul Pesek's insurance agency in about five years, then Collins should absolutely commit to aggy.  On the other hand, If Collins prefers a professional career in football, or anything else for that matter, then the aggy network is no more effective than any other institution.

• Like 2

Spoiler

West Memphis (AR) offensive lineman Chris Morris‍ has made a name for himself as one of the most dominant offensive linemen in the SEC-area, and since the Aggies offered, they have been high on his list.

Today Morris decided to shake things up, and Texas A&M went from high on his list to his college choice – a choice we’ve been expecting him to make for over a month now. 

Texas A&M extended an offer to Morris in the spring of 2018, and he was at Texas A&M’s 7OT win over LSU on an unofficial visit. Most recently, he returned to College Station for a pair of visits this spring and summer and then his official visit for the Alabama game. He’s been a high priority target for Jimbo Fisher and Josh Henson for most of this calendar year. 

In January, the 6-4, 290-pound standout named the Aggies in his top 12 alongside Alabama, Oklahoma, Georgia, Texas, Florida, Florida State, South Carolina, Purdue, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Memphis. Ultimately, this was a head-to-head win for the A&M staff over the Volunteers. 

He becomes the Aggies’ 18th commitment of the 2020 class and he joins Josh Bankhead‍, Smart Chibuzo‍, and Akinola Ogunbiyiin the offensive line class.

As a player and a prospect, Morris checks every box to be an elite big man in the Southeastern Conference. He’s big. He’s mean. He’s powerful. He’s mobile. He’s essentially the perfect piece of clay to mold into a big-time player in the country’s premier conference. You can view his highlights below. 

We’ll have more soon for our TexAgs Premium subscribers

30 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He'll be a good guard, probably.

Also:

EHAKsqPWsAAdqE8?format=jpg&name=900x900

I mean Fisher's 2nd year at FSU does seem familar. Overrated at the beginning of the year. Loses to anyone with a pulse then beats up on bunch of ACC nobodies and limps to the finish with a victory over Will Muschamps dogshit Gator team and an overrated Notre Dame team. 

image.thumb.png.8dd11343cb9c682cf1e1057af8c9e8ae.png

To bad the Aggies can't play in the ACC

11 hours ago, CHEF RIBS W/ THE HAMM YALL said:

They were good last year, but reliability of rankings dropped off this year. Next year, we’ll see. Will depend what recruits ags get.

Problem with their virtual hate and intimidation is that Gerry knows the exact band of clowns he is dealing with when it comes to crazy aggy. 

17 hours ago, George Clooney said:

They claim their network is the most powerful in the world. I remember a post over there in which one guy said, “Okay Stanford’s is better”, and he got mauled over that. They think they’ll get anyone on the fence or even not locked into another school “because of the network, Kyle Field, the traditions, and Jimbo”.

Well do you know any alums of respected schools, that will ALWAYS hire their own, even over considerably more qualified applicants?  Even if that hire negatively effects the business?  I mean, if whooping in a job interview gets you overpaid for a job you are under qualified for,  that’s a pretty good network. 

Do not put aggy in a position to hire at your place of business. 

so I hate that he's not a cube and hate that he has a bit of athleticism. I don't want Henson to bring in some random non-cubes that might actually develop despite their S&C program. 

It does give me a chance to point out the rounding up that TexAgs and aggy247 both have going for Morris to avoid the "he's another guard" talk ... 

In January, the 6-4, 290-pound standout named the Aggies in his top 12

Well, in May he measured at 6'3" 267 pounds, so ... 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

West Memphis (AR) offensive lineman Chris Morris‍ has made a name for himself as one of the most dominant offensive linemen in the SEC-area, and since the Aggies offered, they have been high on his list.

Today Morris decided to shake things up, and Texas A&M went from high on his list to his college choice – a choice we’ve been expecting him to make for over a month now. 

Texas A&M extended an offer to Morris in the spring of 2018, and he was at Texas A&M’s 7OT win over LSU on an unofficial visit. Most recently, he returned to College Station for a pair of visits this spring and summer and then his official visit for the Alabama game. He’s been a high priority target for Jimbo Fisher and Josh Henson for most of this calendar year. 

In January, the 6-4, 290-pound standout named the Aggies in his top 12 alongside Alabama, Oklahoma, Georgia, Texas, Florida, Florida State, South Carolina, Purdue, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Memphis. Ultimately, this was a head-to-head win for the A&M staff over the Volunteers. 

He becomes the Aggies’ 18th commitment of the 2020 class and he joins Josh Bankhead‍, Smart Chibuzo‍, and Akinola Ogunbiyiin the offensive line class.

As a player and a prospect, Morris checks every box to be an elite big man in the Southeastern Conference. He’s big. He’s mean. He’s powerful. He’s mobile. He’s essentially the perfect piece of clay to mold into a big-time player in the country’s premier conference. You can view his highlights below. 

We’ll have more soon for our TexAgs Premium subscribers

Managed to squeeze in 3 sec references in 6 paragraphs. Well done 

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

I figure if he was actually a stud, someone in the region would have bought him. Hell, maybe they still will when A&M’s season falls apart the last two weeks

I haven’t watched his hudl so I have no opinion on him either way, but Morris started the cycle as a top 100 guy on 247 and has steadily fallen down to 216 now. 247 tends to be quicker with adjusting their ratings on guys than either Rivals or ESPN, so he could very well be in line for a significant drop from both Rivals and ESPN at some point. His rating is higher than most OOS guys aggy brings in, but he fits the same profile.  Starts the cycle highly rated, gets passed over by all the regional powers, his rating steadily drops all the way to NSD, and he commits to aggy because he has no better options and neither do they.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I haven’t watched his hudl so I have no opinion on him either way, but Morris started the cycle as a top 100 guy on 247 and has steadily fallen down to 216 now. 247 tends to be quicker with adjusting their ratings on guys than either Rivals or ESPN, so he could very well be in line for a significant drop from both Rivals and ESPN at some point. His rating is higher than most OOS guys aggy brings in, but he fits the same profile.  Starts the cycle highly rated, gets passed over by all the regional powers, his rating steadily drops all the way to NSD, and he commits to aggy because he has no better options and neither do they.

Sounds about right 

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Managed to squeeze in 3 sec references in 6 paragraphs. Well done 

57 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Not even close to meeting his quota. He's gonna have to crowbar in like 9 SECs in his next 5 paragraphs to get back on track

hands shaking GIF

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Of course, when that does happens, it will be our fault.

7 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Of course, when that does happens, it will be our fault.

Naturally.  Soon aggy will be complaining that we’re using 247 national reporters as bagmen to pay players directly and letting them keep 10% so they give the recruits a ratings bump.

Actually, I’m surprised they haven’t already come up with this conspiracy theory already.

Spoiler

Liucci

10:10a 

Staff

AG

Quote:

Are we expecting Young to redshirt? 

Not sure if Erick will redshirt or not yet but it's getting to a point that I'd just go ahead and do it. We're talking about him missing Ole Miss, Miss State, and UTSA. After that, he can play in the final four games and still keep a redshirt. The ONLY way I come off of that is if he's healthy and ready to go this week (he wasn't even in pads on Saturday, so I doubt it) and guys like Elam and Oliver aren't available.

Quote:

How big is it to have Jalen Wydermeyer on film for opposing defenses to have to account for?

I don't think it's that big of a deal yet for opponents but it has the makings of being a big deal for Kellen Mond and the A&M passing game over the second half of the season. If Wydermyer gets comfortable in terms of the offense, as a blocker and with what he's seeing out there when it comes to coverage, watch out. Dude looked like Antonio Gates hauling in that second touchdown on Saturday. He's a special talent when it comes to his receiving skills, something I've said since very early in his recruitment...back when he was a three-star per the clueless contingent headed up by Mike Ferrell and some of the other clowns. 

Quote:

Between Chris MorrisTy'Kieast Crawford, and Garrett Hayes, do we land two of the three?

I'd say yes. Either that or the Ags land Morris (who just committed this morning) and a second, unexpected blocker from outside of your list.

Quote:

We haven't had good luck in Oxford lately. What can you point to that gives you confidence things will change on Saturday?

Not a whole lot other than the fact that Ole Miss, while dangerous in the running game, hasn't been good at all on defense and they're just not a very good team. They're not terrible and certainly capable of beating the Aggies if they don't play well, but this is one of those games where if the Ags play well, they should win. That's about as much as you could ask for at this point heading into an SEC road game. Tough test for the Aggies but if they build on last week's showing, I think they walk out of Oxford with a W for the second time in as many trips and beat Ole Miss for the third straight season.

Quote:

Where would we be without Mond?

I've said plenty about this throughout the season. He's had one bad game in six and has absolutely been one of the Ags two or three best players from wire to wire. He hasn't been close to perfect but he's made a ton of plays for an Aggie offense that appears likely to rely on #11 even more during the second half of the season, as Kellen has really turned things up as a running threat these past two games.

Quote:

That first drive against Bama was very encouraging, considering our poor start against Auburn. Plus the fact that we were actually off to a good start against Clemson before Corbin went down...maybe things aren't as bad as they've seemed with this young team?

They've quietly started the last three games (all of their SEC contests) by moving the ball pretty well. A few missed opportunities but the Aggie offense seems to be figuring some things out and is starting to play to their strengths (Mond, his receivers and the passing game in general).

Quote:

Thoughts on Brian Williams' progress/future impact on D?

This is just my personal opinion, but I think he grows into an ideal 'in the box' option for Mike Elko. He's just a big dude and a smart player but not blazing fast. An instinctive defender who I think could thrive as a 220- or 225-pounder playing a little closer to the line of scrimmage.

Quote:

Why are our coaches being so stubborn about playing Smith more? Rogers just isn't being productive and he killed us with that unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Not sure but he needs to be on the field more than he was on Saturday. No debating that, in my opinion. As for Rogers and the penalty, I'd say what no one is talking about that REALLY killed the Ags was that BLATANT pass interference not being called. Would have given the Ags the ball 1st-and-10 near midfield with a legit look at driving to cut the Bama lead to just 7 late in the third quarter. Instead of being set up with first down at the Tide 46, the Ags were pushed back to 2nd-and-25 from their own 21. A few plays later, Bama scores and pushes the lead out to 20.

Quote:

What would you put your confidence meter in the Aggies being 10-0 or 9-1 in 2020 heading into Alabama and LSU?

Wayyyyyy too early confidence meter? I'd say I feel pretty good about the 2020 Ags heading into those two games at 9-1. If they did, they'd also be playing Bama without Tua and LSU without Burrow - a pair of likely Heisman finalists this December.

Quote:

Do you believe Jimbo has purposely stayed away from grad transfers opting instead to build the foundation for long term success?

They've actually pursued a few but haven't landed a couple and have backed off on others. The OL from FSU who starts for Bama (Dickerson) was one that hurt but Jimbo's old OL coach (Trickett - the same guy who most are convinced is the 'source' of a lot of Fisher-bashing coming out of Willie Taggert's moribund program) made it a point to steer the former Seminole to Tuscaloosa. I do think you'll see the Ags put serious consideration into hitting the grad transfer or portal market this year for an OL and perhaps even an edge rusher.

Quote:

Question - do we have "speed guys" on the roster, or on the way in, at DE, CB and WR? 

Let's see who I would put in that category, as in guys who either are blazers or who 'play fast.' At receiver, I'd go with Ainias and Quartney as far as who are playing. Demond Demas and Muhsin Muhammad III are absolutely those guys and even a pair of yet-to-be-used receivers like Kam Brown and Chase Lane. Need Devon Achane or Daniyel Ngata at running back in the worst way because there isn't game-changing speed in the backfield. At quarterback, Kellen, Haynes King and Eli Stowerscan run in the pipeline. At DE, Tyree Wilson has it and the Ags really need Mowry and Diggs to be those guys. Donell Harris is that guy but most feel like the Ags have serious ground to make up on LSU. The bigs can move...especially DeMarvin and Madubuike. At corner, Elijah Blades has it and Demani plays fast at safety but that's about it. Need this 2020 class of DBs to close out elite in a big, big way. Also need to add a lot of speed at LB, which is why Antonio Doyle is such a big deal.

Quote:

So it seems we saw some improvement against Bama despite the outcome. What needs to happen for this team to win the next 4, and do you think they're capable?

Yes, I think they're more than capable but I also know any of the three SEC games are far from a sure thing. If the Aggies play well, they should win on the road at Ole Miss and at home versus MSU and South Carolina. All three are tough challenges though and it's impossible to predict whether or not this group will recover from the Bama loss in time for an SEC road trip and whether than can improve each week over a four-week stretch. If they do, they win those games. I think what they need to do more than anything is settle into a real rhythm on offense, play well at the beginning of games and at least slightly develop a competent run game. On defense, limit big plays now that you're not playing game-breaking offenses until the regular-season finale and do a better job of stopping the run. Build on the Bama performance and play better this Saturday than you did against the Tide (which actually wasn't bad at all outside of the coverage units) and you'll come home for three riding the momentum of an SEC win.

Quote:

Ole Miss QBs split snaps last week, do you expect the same against us? How does Elko prepare his unit to face 2 different QBs? 

Absolutely expect it against the Aggies. Rich Rod has something working with the unusual rotation of John Rhys Plumlee and Matt Corrall. Very tough to prepare for the change of pace so it forces opponents to prepare for both and gives Rodriguez to ride the hot hand if one emerges. If not, he'll be able to keep teams off-balance. Plumlee has been running wild, with over 100 yards against Bama and 140 or more versus Vandy and Mizzou. For Elko, he'll have to prepare his team for both QBs and I'm sure they'll play things slightly differently depending on who is in the game but you're not going to run out completely different personnel or anything every other snap if that's the route Rich Rod goes. I think you have to play your defense and just be really good at it and understand that Plumlee is more likely to run it but CAN throw it and Corrall is more likely to throw it but CAN run it. When you get too comfortable one way or the other is when either can really hurt you with the big play.

Quote:

Do conferences even care about the quality of officiating? Do they ever fire an official or is it pretty much like having tenure at a University?

It doesn't really seem like they do. The PIs in the Auburn game were borderline criminal and the league knows it. I just don't see the officials being held accountable but I've also felt the same way while the Aggies were in the Big 12, so it's one of the rare instances where I've just come to accept it and don't give it a whole lot of thought.

Quote:

Do you see there being any way Elko can scheme the defense so we can get a semblance of a pash rush from the outside? Obviously the lack of speed rushers hurts, but at least making more qb's uncomfortable seems pretty necessary.

Tough to say because I'm prettttttty sure he's been doing everything he can to generate more pressure. The problem is that there isn't much in the way of pure pass-rushers on campus right now. I think more DeMarvin Leal will eventually result in more pressure and we've seen a little more of Jeremiah Martin. Not sure where else it comes from and, while improved, the secondary isn't yet to a point where you can leave them exposed very often. Leal, Richardson, and Blades continuing to develop will all help in this regard but they're not there yet.

Quote:

Does Braden Mann remind you of Shane Lechler and do you think Braden will be a top tier NFL punter with a long career?

Yes, he does remind me of Lechler both in terms of how powerful his right leg is and also how he garners the respect and friendship of all of the guys on the team. He's a tough dude and a tremendous athlete and the guys love that about him. Just look at what he did on Saturday in the way of making tackles. I do think the first half of this season wasn't quite as good as what we saw from him during his Ray Guy junior season. Maybe Saturday was the low point for Braden and the punt team and we'll see him re-establish himself as the best punter in the country during the second half. In case you're wondering, yes, Mann is held to a different standard when we're critiquing and breaking down his performance. Just like in your question, he's measured against the best because he's proven he's worthy of being in that discussion.

Quote:

Is there a reason we aren't seeing Luke Matthews or any of the other young guys (outside of Green) get many reps? 

They weren't ready to push into the starting lineup when the season started and I can only assume they're not ready now. Why? Because the guys starting haven't been very good all season and if there were a backup on the second-team doing a nice job against the first-team defense on a day-to-day basis in practice, I'm not sure why in the blue hell Josh Henson wouldn't give said player a chance to show it on Saturdays.

Quote:

Does Aggieland have the patience to build what we all want?

Not at all. It's my biggest concern for this thing working under Jimbo, to be honest. I'm not saying everyone should just sit back and be happy with losses like the ones the Ags have had this year or that we're on some sort of a "let's give him five years before we expect anything" plan. What I am saying is that the entire track record of cycling through coaches has done absolutely nothing for the program and the Ags finally went out and got a proven, championship-caliber head coach. Let's get frustrated with the losses and always expect more like we all should but also don't fly off the handle or throw in the towel, turn on the coaches or team on social media or message boards in year two of what is CLEARLY a significant undertaking to turn Texas A&M into a national powerhouse program. This thing has always pointed to Year Three being the turning point and then it kind of taking off from there yet so many are ready to burn it all to the ground, which is as fascinating as it is disgusting to me. I really do believe that sometimes we are our own worst enemies when it comes to this stuff.

Quote:

Will Hansford get more reps? He seems to make big plays when he is out there. 

Not sure but I'd like to see it. I'm with you, he's made as many big plays as the starters this year in far fewer reps. He's been a pleasant surprise this fall.

Quote:

When do we get next commitment?

Well, that was answered this morning with Morris, something you all were expecting if you've been following along with Howell's stuff. I also have my sights on Antonio Doyle

Quote:

LSU vs. Bama - who wins? 

LSU. Just call it a feeling but I think the Tigers win an incredibly entertaining shootout. Did I just pick Ed O to beat Saban? I think I did. Goodness, gracious. It really doesn't make a ton of sense because I still think Bama's ground game will be better in that one, their OL is better, Tua and Burrow have been a push this year, the receivers are both great and Bama's defense is better than LSU's, IMO. Still, I think the Bayou Bengals win the damn thing.

Quote:

Thoughts on the clock management issue at the end of the first half where we took 20 seconds to call a timeout. Those seconds could have come into play and we could have run at least one more play to get 7 instead of 3. 

Nothing frustrates me more than clock stuff at the end of a half or game. No thoughts on it other than it should have been better. I'd have to go back and see exactly how much time was wasted because I didn't pay attention to it while rewatching the game but I know what you're talking about and I wasn't pleased with the lack of urgency in that moment.

Quote:

Could the combo of Fadil Diggs and Braedon Mowry be the answer to our pass-rushing woes? 

They'd certainly go a long way towards helping address that need. Both have looked GREAT on recent visits to campus and both can absolutely get after the QB. It's definitely a big step in the right direction but not enough. Need some of the younger guys on campus to continue to develop and need to find some more guys with twitch and bend around the corner.

Quote:

What record do we end up with? I'm thinking 7-5 with an outside shot at 8-4 (we match up well with GA). 

I'm thinking 8-5 overall right now. This one is big. Win it and I think the Ags will be 7-3 going in UGA and with a lot of momentum. This game scares me because the Ags are coming off of an emotional loss and they're probably a little discouraged right now. A road game in the SEC, at night, against a team whose record isn't going to get the players' attention but a very capable Ole Miss squad with a dangerous quarterback. It's going to be a real challenge for Fisher and his staff to have these guys ready but there's no other option at this point but to go out there and find a way to win.

Quote:

Any updates on Cupp or Corbin's rehab? 

Cupp seems to be coming along quite nicely. He's no longer on crutches or even in a boot and is walking around find. I'll be interested to see if they visit him coming back for the final four games in about a month or if he's going to be a straight redshirt and not play until spring ball. I'm sure they'll err on the side of caution if it's even remotely debatable. Corbin is out for the entire year and is still on crutches. I'm sure they'll hold him out during the spring, as well, if it ensures that hamstring will be 100% in time for fall camp.

Others Receiving Votes

Quote:

If you had to choose to eat meat from only one animal for the rest of your life, what animal would you choose? Why?

A lion.

Quote:

Beale or The Square? 

The Square.

Quote:

Best places to eat/check out in Oxford? First A&M away game this weekend!

The Library for a post-game bar and some of the famous restaurants like City Grocery and Ajax. There are more and but I've stayed in Memphis all but once so I'm sure others can help with this one better than I can.

Quote:

When you go to the Monday press conference, do you walk across the street or do you drive? Because it's not that far...

As long as it wasn't 100-degrees in the summer and I would go in there looking like Gabe or Dalton complete with pit stains (August practices) I would walk. But on Mondays, I'm usually coming from an early lunch so I drive.

Quote:

In the movie, The Blind Side, Coach O references a gas station there with the best BBQ.
Have you tried it? If not will you? We need ANSWERS. 

No, I have not. I probably didn't understand what he said or was too busy trying to figure out if I found Sandra Bullock extremely attractive or just mildly attractive. I've never figured her out. Don't get me wrong, she's much better-looking than I am and a pretty woman so I'm not judging, just never know where I stand with her.

Quote:

Why don't you guys ever get involved in the other boards like entertainment, outboards, nerdery, etc,?

I'd like to do that some during the off-season and may try to mix it up a little more but during the season it's just too hard to keep up with all of the content plus helping to run a growing company. There is a lot more than goes into it (at least on my end...and really everyone else's) than what you guys see as the finished product.

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Naturally.  Soon aggy will be complaining that we’re using 247 national reporters as bagmen to pay players directly and letting them keep 10% so they give the recruits a ratings bump.

Actually, I’m surprised they haven’t already come up with this conspiracy theory already.

I'm sure some aggy has thrown that out there at some point