2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Moore, Smith and Liebrock I'd like to keep. Moore because he is somewhat proven, Smith because I'd like to see what the staff could do with him and Liebrock for the same reason as Smith.

Look, I'd be happy to keep all of them. The 85 cap isn't an issue.

Moore is a mess with recurring problems off the field and there are a lot of people that think he's just flat out gone. I hope he gets himself right, whether still on the roster or not.

Smith has been a rumor for forever. If we're being candid, he's a bust. I don't fully blame the player. He made a poor choice by coming to Texas with Drew fucking Mehringer as his position coach. He could have gone anywhere. But no one else is making him run banana routes as a default. Fuckface and McKnight put too much weight on him on top of everything else. I hope he stays and puts in the work, but geez, it seems like he could benefit from a change of scenery.

The Liebrock stuff has zero basis in any scuttlebutt. I'm merely looking at the roster and player expectations and feeling like that guy sticks out like a sore thumb at his position. It's unbelievable to me that Cade Brewer is getting snaps with the new staff. Unbelievable. If I was behind that fucking guy on the roster going into this summer, I'd be looking for the door. 

So, Moore, Harrison and Smith, lot of noise. Liebrock, just ctj's own potentially poor logic. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I expect exits at the WR position to continue. Moore, Jake Smith, and Harrison should all be considered probable exits. 

We'll see some people leave at DL almost certainly as well, along with TE. 

Also, I said Epps would wind up at USC. I'm hoping that place continues to be its own clown show.

Need a healthy year from Whitt and T.O. to lessen the blow of losing those two. Here's to hoping Worthy is ready day 1. 

1 hour ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Need a healthy year from Whitt and T.O. to lessen the blow of losing those two. Here's to hoping Worthy is ready day 1. 

I think we should consider the tOSU dude and X if we really do lose all those dudes. It leaves us with one true starter (who is often injured) plus a lot of question marks. And it pretty much fucks up most of the WR spring training and timing with the QBs.

Nahlin on attrition: 
Spoiler

That was a main question but we didn’t hear many names.

One guy down the depth chart who has been in there once wouldn’t be a surprise.

We already mentioned Epps and we expect USC for him.

The staff has no incentive to create room given the roster leniency Covid offers.

Going to guess Cook is the guy who he's saying wouldn't be a surprise. 

The USC basketball program is building something special so they should utilize Epps’ size and skills, as long as he doesnt have to set too many picks, catch passes, or box people out.
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I think we should consider the tOSU dude and X if we really do lose all those dudes. It leaves us with one true starter (who is often injured) plus a lot of question marks. And it pretty much fucks up most of the WR spring training and timing with the QBs.

If we truly do lose Smith and Moore, that will make for an interesting fall camp. I don't see Worthy, Alexis, Lee, or Cain coming in and taking over a spot immediately. So your top three could conceivably be Omeire, Wittington, and Dixon or Washington. If Dixon or Washington flip the switch then that is a decent unit on paper, but absolutely nothing behind them except Worthy and a bunch of freshmen... and Kai Money. I sincerely hope Money is not Dylan Haynes 2.0 where we just can't get the guy off the field regardless of his limitations. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Look, I'd be happy to keep all of them. The 85 cap isn't an issue.

Moore is a mess with recurring problems off the field and there are a lot of people that think he's just flat out gone. I hope he gets himself right, whether still on the roster or not.

Smith has been a rumor for forever. If we're being candid, he's a bust. I don't fully blame the player. He made a poor choice by coming to Texas with Drew fucking Mehringer as his position coach. He could have gone anywhere. But no one else is making him run banana routes as a default. Fuckface and McKnight put too much weight on him on top of everything else. I hope he stays and puts in the work, but geez, it seems like he could benefit from a change of scenery.

The Liebrock stuff has zero basis in any scuttlebutt. I'm merely looking at the roster and player expectations and feeling like that guy sticks out like a sore thumb at his position. It's unbelievable to me that Cade Brewer is getting snaps with the new staff. Unbelievable. If I was behind that fucking guy on the roster going into this summer, I'd be looking for the door. 

So, Moore, Harrison and Smith, lot of noise. Liebrock, just ctj's own potentially poor logic. 

Liebrock and Smith are both hurt. I just don't see guys bailing on this offensive staff without having a chance to show them what they can do. It's one thing to go through a spring and realize you are buried on the depth chart, it's another to not even be out there. Unless they are just unhappy in Austin, why wouldn't you stick around and get coached up and schemed up in this offense? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Liebrock and Smith are both hurt. I just don't see guys bailing on this offensive staff without having a chance to show them what they can do. It's one thing to go through a spring and realize you are buried on the depth chart, it's another to not even be out there. Unless they are just unhappy in Austin, why wouldn't you stick around and get coached up and schemed up in this offense? 

They could get give a go in the fall and still transfer before the season

5 minutes ago, maninblack said:

They could get give a go in the fall and still transfer before the season

I hadn't really thought that much about this concept, but will we really be seeing players transfer out from one school in August and be immediately on the depth chart at another school later that same month? I guess if that is a thing, there are some major fucking ramifications on the team culture end for programs that do that. 

"Well, it looked like I was going to be starting heading into the home stretch of preseason prep, but now Joe Blow has shown up and been plugged in ahead of me. WTF?"

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I hadn't really thought that much about this concept, but will we really be seeing players transfer out from one school in August and be immediately on the depth chart at another school later that same month? I guess if that is a thing, there are some major fucking ramifications on the team culture end for programs that do that. 

"Well, it looked like I was going to be starting heading into the home stretch of preseason prep, but now Joe Blow has shown up and been plugged in ahead of me. WTF?"

Unlikely but just answering Mitch with a scenario that's possible.

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Unless you are a grad transfer, the deadline to enter the portal and use your one time transfer is July 1st this year. (Believe it is May 1st for future years)

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/28/2021 at 9:24 AM, closetojumping said:

There are longstanding rumors that Chip Brown is your typical old school sports reporter. By that, I mean he's allegedly a degenerate gambler and alcoholic.

There's a longstanding rumor that Chip Brown has been paid to write hit pieces about Texas as an "insider" by benefactors of other programs, particularly Oklahoma and one of their donors in Dallas with ties to Brown from his DMN days. Usually, these hit pieces are very well timed. The fucking star of OU's defense for 2021 will be Nik Bonnito. Bonnito was torn between Texas and OU before SD1 a few years back. Herman and staff believed he gave them a silent. OU needed a backer. Magically, a day or two before SD1, Chip Brown writes a hit piece on Texas' culture as a program. This document gets emailed to Bonnito and mom, and then they have a conference call with OU. He never returned another Texas call, text or email, signed with OU, and has become a star. 

There's also the simple fact that Chip Brown has been historically wrong repeatedly. 

So you have a guy that can't respect the HC enough to call him anything but a nickname, as though they're that familiar, with a penchant for being fundamentally wrong and habits that lead to him being compromised by enemies and effectively on another staff's payroll whenever they need him to fuck us. 

Sarkisian learned from Saban to be very paranoid about the media. Allegedly he had write-ups done on the regular reporters for the staff in the first few weeks. Then he froze out his staff from talking to reporters outside of scheduled press. I'm guessing he was educated on Brown early, and he's rightly not going to cultivate any kind of relationship with him. 

The bigger question is why CDC continues to use Chip Brown as a mouthpiece when he, in fact, fucking knows better. 

Also a long standing rumor he fucked Taylor Estes? Gaspar? Eh who gives a shit. Seems like she knows her away around...

20 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Unless you are a grad transfer, the deadline to enter the portal and use your one time transfer is July 1st this year. (Believe it is May 1st for future years)

Yeah, May 1st in future years...

"Athletes in fall/winter sports like, football and basketball, would face a May 1 deadline to enter the transfer portal. Spring athletes would have a July 1 deadline in order to gain immediate eligibility. However, the council voted to allow a blanket waiver for this year only that sets the date for all athletes as July 1." 

Edited by LTtxfan

20 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, May 1st in future years...

"Athletes in fall/winter sports like, football and basketball, would face a May 1 deadline to enter the transfer portal. Spring athletes would have a July 1 deadline in order to gain immediate eligibility. However, the council voted to allow a blanket waiver for this year only that sets the date for all athletes as July 1." 

So, being the crafty and morally onerous coach that one might be, I’m guessing we’re going to see a shit ton of spring practices and spring games bleed over into May starting in 2022. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

So, being the crafty and morally onerous coach that one might be, I’m guessing we’re going to see a shit ton of spring practices and spring games bleed over into May starting in 2022. 

Honestly?  I wouldn’t think so. A place like Texas stands to gain by the transfer market, better to let the guys we are processing be processed as quickly as possible and know how many and where the openings are. Will you lose the occasional guy that hurts? Sure- but on balance we win every time the process plays out I’d believe. 

• Like 1

Honestly?  I wouldn’t think so. A place like Texas stands to gain by the transfer market, better to let the guys we are processing be processed as quickly as possible and know how many and where the openings are. Will you lose the occasional guy that hurts? Sure- but on balance we win every time the process plays out I’d believe. 
I don't think ctj was focusing on the longhorns when he's wrote what he wrote. Other teams are going to have spring football end later, basically.

2 hours ago, Snacks said:
2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don't think ctj was focusing on the longhorns when he's wrote what he wrote. Other teams are going to have spring football end later, basically.

Maybe. I’d argue it’s the shitty teams that do that. I also don’t believe there won’t be contact on guys we might be interested so I can’t imagine that helping. Unless the big boys really are hands off until a name pops in the portal. Which would be a surprise to me. 

I actually do think Alexis can give quality minutes year one, after seeing the spring game live.  He got some awful balls thrown his way but he really stood out to me.  Worthy has a lot of catching up to do but he gives the offense another dimension that we expected, on paper, to get from Smith.  Maybe he can land at Johns Hopkins and captain their lacrosse team or something.  T.O. and Whitt round out the guys that should be able to stretch defenses without regular drops.  Juan Davis, Gunnar Helm could both see a good number of balls thrown their way as well, and I would have no problem with that whatsoever.  Dixon and Washington likely remain part time options, imo.  

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Huh? (that’s rhetorical, I don’t need more Wulaw Surlysplaining)

4 hours ago, Snacks said:
5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Correct. 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Maybe. I’d argue it’s the shitty teams that do that. I also don’t believe there won’t be contact on guys we might be interested so I can’t imagine that helping. Unless the big boys really are hands off until a name pops in the portal. Which would be a surprise to me. 

We should have a bet. If a large number of spring games haven’t moved to after April 30 by 2023, I’ll buy you RV insurance. If they have, you can pay for my next property title. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Huh? (that’s rhetorical, I don’t need more Wulaw Surlysplaining)

Correct. 

We should have a bet. If a large number of spring games haven’t moved to after April 30 by 2023, I’ll buy you RV insurance. If they have, you can pay for my next property title. 

Ok, I’m your mind what is a “large number of spring games?  5? 25? 55?

And give me 3 teams you think likely to move their game... are we talking Texas/Bama/USC?  Cal/Tech/Maryland. Or ULaLA/UTEP/UCF?

I’m down with a bet. Since you are shaggy 1% it can’t be money. How about for a week you make Sydney be Derka’s hype man instead of your own. Name your pound of flesh you would like to extract from me. 

• Haha 4

On 4/30/2021 at 12:19 PM, UncleSonny said:

Nahlin on attrition: 

Hide contents

That was a main question but we didn’t hear many names.

One guy down the depth chart who has been in there once wouldn’t be a surprise.

We already mentioned Epps and we expect USC for him.

The staff has no incentive to create room given the roster leniency Covid offers.

Going to guess Cook is the guy who he's saying wouldn't be a surprise. 

Damn, is USC going to be UT-Southern California? All our transfers are belong to them. 

Cook wouldn’t surprise me either. Every report that comes out seems to have a blurb about him getting beat. Good luck and enjoy that California weather. 🤘🏼

IT team notes

Spoiler

We’ll start with team bests with some notes where we have them. These ‘bests’ are as of now, not August or September projections.

Best DT: “Consistently best was between Coburn and Moro. Moro improved a lot in camp, especially in pass rush and stunts. He doesn’t make the same mistake twice. Collins is coming along, too. He and some of the other younger guys, not just at defensive tackle, didn’t take to the new coaching as quickly as the older guys."

Best J-backer: “Jacoby Jones. Bush is an athletic guy and does whatever’s asked of him, but Jones is the guy right now. It’ll be interesting to see what happens when the new guys show up.”

Best X-backer: “Thornton. He might be a little heavy but I think the staff wants him to put on weight so he can hold up at J-backer too.”

Of note: Ben Davis arrives in Austin this week after graduating from Alabama last week. We don’t know if he can officially join workouts, but he’ll begin working out and assimilating with the players. Notre Dame graduate transfer Ovie Oghoufo will be in Austin later in May after he graduates.

Best LB: “It was Gbenda. He’s attentive, smart, downloads info, looks to gain a deeper understanding of the position, and watches extra film on his own. Brockermeyer improved a lot. I didn’t expect him to be ahead of Jaylan Ford at this point.”

Of note: New Mexico State transfer Devin Richardson is set to begin his time in Austin at Will inside linebacker. Luke Brockermeyer is #1 at the position exiting spring but Richardson, and Palaie Gaoteote, are expected to compete in August. Richardson is back in his native Houston working out. He did attend the spring game.

Best S: “Not sure if he was the best overall, but Schooler improved the most and became the most consistently noticeable. The other guys made plays too but it seemed like if you heard a hit, there’s Schooler. A couple plays later he’d be making breakups. He tends to make more plays. It looked like he never stopped playing DB.”

Best CB: “That one’s close. I’d go Josh and then Jamison right behind him. Thompson is becoming more of a playmaker. He missed some time but probably had 4-5 picks throughout spring.”

Of note: If I ask about cornerback the source is going to find ways to discuss Kitan Crawford. They love Crawford from both the mental and athletic standpoint.

Best OL: “Jones really came on towards the end, so probably him. He and Karic are still close but Christian can become elite. He has the size of an NFL tackle and can move.”

Of note: Tope Imade had a surprising spring. The goal for him will be to lose 20-30 pounds in order to increase his quickness. He’s already plenty strong. Imade is around 370, but he’s not a fat guy.

Best TE: “I think Wiley had the best spring. He’s an okay blocker but that’s not his specialty. He needs to keep improving and use his length to his advantage. Wiley can be a really good receiver. Brewer’s a decent blocker. As you know, more fullback, not a TE like Wiley is. They complement each other.”

Best WR: “You know I’m going to say Whittington. He was easily the most consistent and worked well with each quarterback. Everybody is excited to see how Omeire looks with a couple more months to get healthy. He’s different than anyone else on the roster.”

Best RB: “Bijan’s the best running back and best player on the team.”

Best QB: “Card holds the edge to me. He looked as good as Casey while running with the second team offense and just fits the offense better.”