2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

I don’t know if this is the place for it, but Finebaum commented today about the relative futures of Sark and Jimbo, and claimed Fisher had the better chance of success. One reason is alumni, and if you needed another reason to suggest Mack turned into a massive bitch, look no further:
"The alumni are always the problem in Austin … I mean, it’s one of the great places in the world to work, it’s one of the great places to live and visit, but they have still not solved that (alumni interference). And maybe I spent too much time on Sunday mornings in Connecticut hanging around Mack Brown, but you have to deal with way too many entities and a fanbase that just can’t quite get over itself.”
So, Mack sat there and told anyone who would listen how difficult it is in Austin, how he was railroaded, never had a chance to turn it around, blah fucking blah. 
And yeah, fuck that SEC hack Finebaum, just sharing.
This was a link on my Facebook feed, and though from 247, appears to be free.
https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Paul-Finebaum-Jimbo-Fisher-safer-bet-Steve-Sarkisian-Texas-Longhorns-Aggies-165478057/?fbclid=IwAR1C-QOm3yCr_rt6TYOifl2f0CerC35Agi23gFKskz-ncHI9GFuH9nQRivc
(I’d copy and paste and spoiler the whole damn thing, but there are so many fucking ads it would be a damn mess to edit.)
Good for finebaum going out on a limb and siding with a sec team. Commendable.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

The fact that you don’t consider the OL and TE positions to be lacking talent tells me all I need to know about your definition of talent.

The fact that you DO think that the OL is lacking in talent tells me all I need to know about your lack of football knowledge. Texas has 9 to 11 former blue chip OL on the roster (I forget the exact number). That's in the top 10 in the country. The TALENT is there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

ClosetoIanBoyd, ammirite? 

That hurts, sir. I can handle a toothless barb from stumblefucks that contribute nothing like Octavian, but an Ian Boyd analog from a fellow recruitnik hurts. I assume this is just letting off steam from you because you know your Ojomo bet is hopelessly doomed. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That hurts, sir. I can handle a toothless barb from stumblefucks that contribute nothing like Octavian, but an Ian Boyd analog from a fellow recruitnik hurts. I assume this is just letting off steam from you because you know your Ojomo bet is hopelessly doomed. 

The Coburn side of the bet is probably the favorite right now, but Ojomo was probably the best player on defense in the spring game, which should give me some hope when extrapolated through his puberty years

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I don’t know if this is the place for it, but Finebaum commented today about the relative futures of Sark and Jimbo, and claimed Fisher had the better chance of success. One reason is alumni, and if you needed another reason to suggest Mack turned into a massive bitch, look no further:

So, Mack sat there and told anyone who would listen how difficult it is in Austin, how he was railroaded, never had a chance to turn it around, blah fucking blah. 

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Paul-Finebaum-Jimbo-Fisher-safer-bet-Steve-Sarkisian-Texas-Longhorns-Aggies-165478057/?fbclid=IwAR1C-QOm3yCr_rt6TYOifl2f0CerC35Agi23gFKskz-ncHI9GFuH9nQRivc

(I’d copy and paste and spoiler the whole damn thing, but there are so many fucking ads it would be a damn mess to edit.)

To act like those same entities and alumni problems don't exist at A&M is laughable.

1 hour ago, Lou_Sassle said:

The fact that you DO think that the OL is lacking in talent tells me all I need to know about your lack of football knowledge. Texas has 9 to 11 former blue chip OL on the roster (I forget the exact number). That's in the top 10 in the country. The TALENT is there. 

Texas is in the top 10 in the country for O-line talent?

https://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Free_Legal_Information2&Template=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=30801

• Haha 1

I only skimmed through the comments; have any of you guys talked about special teams when projecting this season? Because the return and punt blocking games should be considerably better this year. Punting is a question mark since the Aussie is coming back from an ACL 

I also didn't see much discussion about the transfer adds. Dunn, Davis, and Thornton are all sixth year dudes. Even in new systems, they'll help shore up the defense early in the season 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I'm so beat down from the last couple coaches I haven't even gotten to wins and losses for next year.

All I want from this season is to see improvement in all facets of the game. Given the past couple years that should be achievable and noticeable in the first couple games.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

I'm going with at least 10 regular season wins...

Texas Longhorns: CFN College Football Preview 2021

Pete Fiutak    Mon, May 17, 2021

https://sports.yahoo.com/texas-longhorns-cfn-college-football-041851552.html?src=rss&guccounter=1

Article's 2021 prediction:  Set The Texas Longhorns Regular Season Win Total at 9

"This year’s schedule is manageable enough to win right away.  Going to Arkansas won’t be easy, and dates at TCU, Baylor and West Virginia will be tough, too. Throw in the Oklahoma and Iowa State games away from home, and the dangerous battles at home against Kansas State, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State – and don’t laugh, Louisiana, too – and there’s just enough concern to make a nine-win regular season a good bar to hit.   Even more than a great debut, the program has to look like it’s about to turn the corner. This season has to look like the hiring of Steve Sarkisian is going to make everything finally click again.  The program is bound by nothing but high expectations. It’s time to start meeting them."

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up

8 hours ago, markstanco said:

Good for finebaum going out on a limb and siding with a sec team. Commendable.

I mean, that is pretty on brand for Mack. Dude is bitter as shit that Texas and it's alumni had the audacity to kick his complacent ass to the curb. Mack > Texas according to Mack and that's no cap, fam.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Lol I’m still waiting for your letter to FuckFace from the transfer deadline bet. Given that nearly every D1 school either has exams in April or in the first week of May, don’t see them moving spring practice past the deadline (considering you have to have a one week dead period before exams). 

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

That's not exactly what I said. I said Texas is in the top 10 in the country in the amount of composite OL blue chips (4 and 5*s) on the roster. We've been getting talent... just not coaching it up to full potential. 

Edited by Lou_Sassle

13 minutes ago, Octavian said:

Lol I’m still waiting for your letter to FuckFace from the transfer deadline bet. Given that nearly every D1 school either has exams in April or in the first week of May, don’t see them moving spring practice past the deadline (considering you have to have a one week dead period before exams). 

Did you miss the qualifier for the bet that if there was some sort of technicality preventing the shift, the bet was nullified? Or is it just more convenient to play stupid on that front in some sort of quixotic quest to self-righteously paint me as a welcher?

I'll wait with @Wulaw Horn for the next few years or whenever the time period was to see what happens, rather than call the results a couple of days after placing the bet because some dork on Surly needs me to be wrong, but if I wind up off the mark, I'll happily write a letter to that fucktard. I'll frame myself as a dickless and irrelevant cog in some hedge fund machine that clings to hope by living vicariously through similarly misunderstood ex-coaches searching for new ways to grasp power. The hair on the back of your neck is going to tingle as you read it. Being wrong on something like that is as fun as being right, but you come across as too dense and insecure to fathom that concept.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Did you miss the qualifier for the bet that if there was some sort of technicality preventing the shift, the bet was nullified? Or is it just more convenient to play stupid on that front in some sort of quixotic quest to self-righteously paint me as a welcher?

I'll wait with @Wulaw Horn for the next few years or whenever the time period was to see what happens, rather than call the results a couple of days after placing the bet because some dork on Surly needs me to be wrong, but if I wind up off the mark, I'll happily write a letter to that fucktard. I'll frame myself as a dickless and irrelevant cog in some hedge fund machine that clings to hope by living vicariously through similarly misunderstood ex-coaches searching for new ways to grasp power. The hair on the back of your neck is going to tingle as you read it. Being wrong on something like that is as fun as being right, but you come across as too dense and insecure to fathom that concept.

Indeed. That was why my suggestion was Sydney as a hype man for Derka. This board should be about fun.  This will be fun either way. I’ve been mentally composing some stuff too. 

I'm gonna steal a comparison from politics; David Brooks (who in my mind is the Tom Herman of political commentators) fucks up a lot of analysis, but one thing he said about the Presidency rings even more true for the Texas head football coaching position:  it is a bacterium. Now, in spite of being bad grammar, it is an apt observation -- Presidents all have things they want to be remembered for, but they also bring their inherent weaknesses with them to an oversized position, and if the circumstances align, those unfavorable traits blow up to overtake everything else they are trying to stand for. Think Jimmy Carter's passive ennui, or LBJ's bluff and bluster, or Clinton's womanizing, or George W.'s bumbling facade -- none of those things were all those people were, but those are all what they are mostly remembered for when asked for a first approximation.

Mack's bacterium was his butter-toothed whininess; Strong's was his vacant stare; Herman's was summed up by having been on the verge of tears before WVU's two point conversion in a game that was otherwise destined to be forgotten in a drunken blur.

What's Sarkisian's weakness? Hopefully, things align in such a way that, like Royal all those years ago, we don't notice enough to be able to say.

One thing's for sure, though: the pressure cooker of being the Texas head coach? That causes some folk to blanch before cracking? Yeah, it's a good fucking thing. There's no pressure to win at places that don't win. I never want to be one of those places.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'm so beat down from the last couple coaches I haven't even gotten to wins and losses for next year.

All I want from this season is to see improvement in all facets of the game. Given the past couple years that should be achievable and noticeable in the first couple games.

im with you but Chris Ash was a really good coach, one of the best that we have had in a while, if PK is that much better than ash then he is truly among the CFB elite. id love to see it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

im with you but Chris Ash was a really good coach, one of the best that we have had in a while, if PK is that much better than ash then he is truly among the CFB elite. id love to see it.

Ash wasn’t that great as a DC. He runs a very basic system that will work well with elite talent, but we all saw last year that Ash doesn’t make adjustments or changes to react to the offense, or do much to make up for personnel that don’t match his system.

PK is a significant step up from a scheme standpoint and he also has a much better set of assistants on the defensive side of the ball than Ash did. PK also doesn’t have to deal with Herman’s general dumbassery and incompetence. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 9

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is that really a technicality or just a very significant constraint that would require likely university board approval to change? I’m happy to wait as well, and definitely will be fun to see someone dig it up in a few years - I didn’t say you had to write this letter this very second, just that I was waiting (since the likelihood of you being wrong is pretty high).

And I agree with you, I think composing something like that would be pretty fun and I don’t think I implied otherwise.

Haha I find your need to respond to anyone who disagrees with you by demeaning them and using profanity in some lengthy and verbose rant to be a bigger indicator of insecurity than anything I’ve done.

Edited by Octavian
Grammar

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ash wasn’t that great as a DC. He runs a very basic system that will work well with elite talent, but we all saw last year that Ash doesn’t make adjustments or changes to react to the offense, or do much to make up for personnel that don’t match his system.

PK is a significant step up from a scheme standpoint and he also has a much better set of assistants on the defensive side of the ball than Ash did. PK also doesn’t have to deal with Herman’s general dumbassery and incompetence. 

I agree 100% with your second point but your first point is not sufficient. Outside of the Tech Game I thought we did a great job of making offenses one dimensional and he allowed our star players to be star players, we developed well in both the backend and the front 7 over the course of the year. The WVU, Okie St, and OU gams stick out to me as having good gameplans, the OU game just kinda came off the rails there at the end but I chalk that up to fatigue 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

... the OU game just kinda came off the rails there at the end but I chalk that up to fatigue 

Nah. The 0U game was derailed almost entirely by #MensaTom's stupidity. First, by his get-a-lead and play-to-not-lose second half bullshit, allowing 0U to catch up and pass us, and then when a furious few minutes of Hero Ball put us in a position to win with a 2-point conversion against an 0U team that was exhausted and disorganized from our comeback... and did so not once, but twice. I seem to recall his statement that he didn't go for two because he "wanted the D to win the game". 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Octavian said:

Haha I find your need to respond to anyone who disagrees with you by demeaning them and using profanity in some lengthy and verbose rant to be a bigger indicator of insecurity than anything I’ve done.

The ol' "I know you are but what am I!?" tactic. Simple, effective, and part of every 7 year old's rhetorical arsenal. Strong move.

2 hours ago, JFKFC said:

I clicked on that link thinking it was going to show OL recruiting for the last 4 years. You got me mother fucker, you got me good. Reading links before clicking shouldn't be a thing on Surly by the way, I should be able to blindly trust all you asshol....yeah I'm wrong here. Carry on lol 

28 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Nah. The 0U game was derailed almost entirely by #MensaTom's stupidity. First, by his get-a-lead and play-to-not-lose second half bullshit, allowing 0U to catch up and pass us, and then when a furious few minutes of Hero Ball put us in a position to win with a 2-point conversion against an 0U team that was exhausted and disorganized from our comeback... and did so not once, but twice. I seem to recall his statement that he didn't go for two because he "wanted the D to win the game". 

There was that one holding call.  If that didn't happen, we run out the clock.  In the end, your record is what you are, but how do you tell Roach not to jump offsides on a fg attempt, Keontay not to fumble the ball vs TCU, etc.  A lot of it is coaching, but not fumbling isn't something that needs to be banged into your head.  Flipside is should the game have been that close in the first place.  I'm about to vomit rehashing all this stuff.

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The ol' "I know you are but what am I!?" tactic. Simple, effective, and part of every 7 year old's rhetorical arsenal. Strong move.

Lol. Congrats on dodging every part of the post that pointed out your overreaction and clinging to a thread you thought you could refute. Strong move.

I don’t think I’ve ever used profanity towards someone on this site, ranted at them, or been disrespectful. Your post history is littered with this.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Octavian said:

I don’t think I’ve ever used profanity towards someone on this site, ranted at them, or been disrespectful. Your post history is littered with this.

sounds like you aren't very surly, shaggy or anything else around here.

get off your high horse about not cursing, ranting or disrespecting someone on here. there are PLENTY of users here who deserve to be cursed at, ranted at and disrespected. the CR is littered with those fucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I agree 100% with your second point but your first point is not sufficient. Outside of the Tech Game I thought we did a great job of making offenses one dimensional and he allowed our star players to be star players, we developed well in both the backend and the front 7 over the course of the year. The WVU, Okie St, and OU gams stick out to me as having good gameplans, the OU game just kinda came off the rails there at the end but I chalk that up to fatigue 

Ash got out-coached against OU and was only saved in the first half first half by Rattler making a lot of bad mistakes. Ash also got completely owned in the TCU game and never made adjustments. He left Downing completely unaccounted repeatedly. 

Ok St was not a great defensive performance and WVU just flat out sucks on offense. Ash ran his usual stuff and they couldn’t do anything about it. 

He was solid as a DC, but not particularly great. But Ash certainly didn’t do such a masterful job as a DC that there’s no room for PK to improve on that front. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Kickoff for the Arkansas game set for 6:00.

Remind me to go hunting the week before for the express purpose of sneaking up behind a wild boar and kicking it in the nuts. If I make it out alive, then the fates are in our favor. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

...A lot of it is coaching, but not fumbling isn't something that needs to be banged into your head.  Flipside is should the game have been that close in the first place.  I'm about to vomit rehashing all this stuff.

The fumble near the end of TCU... not fumbling doesn't need to be banged into your head? So the whole "ball security" parts of practice didn't need to be emphasized, not really? I'ma just gonna disagree right there.

However, it's not even the real point. The real point is running hurry-up at a point in the game where we needed to run as much of that 3:00 clock as possible. Ingram reaching for the goal line just cemented the stupidity. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ash also got completely owned in the TCU game and never made adjustments.

I'm trying to forget the play when Max Duggan basically walked 30 yards for a TD on a QB draw because we had nobody even close in the middle of field.  Believe it was Klatt saying something like "OMG, the QB draw is an easy score if they want it"

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Fud said:

The Coburn side of the bet is probably the favorite right now, but Ojomo was probably the best player on defense in the spring game, which should give me some hope when extrapolated through his puberty years

Just wait until Ojomo gets his first armpit hair. Then it's all over for Coburn!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fud said:

I only skimmed through the comments; have any of you guys talked about special teams when projecting this season? Because the return and punt blocking games should be considerably better this year. Punting is a question mark since the Aussie is coming back from an ACL 

I also didn't see much discussion about the transfer adds. Dunn, Davis, and Thornton are all sixth year dudes. Even in new systems, they'll help shore up the defense early in the season 

Dicker is a really good punter. If either of the Aussies can't do the trick, Dicker will just show off why he's an NFL asset.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, NoName said:

sounds like you aren't very surly, shaggy or anything else around here.

get off your high horse about not cursing, ranting or disrespecting someone on here. there are PLENTY of users here who deserve to be cursed at, ranted at and disrespected. the CR is littered with those fucks.

Sorry, sir, I’m new here. I’ll change my ways immediately.

I was told to never go near the CR and I have followed that advice.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Octavian said:

Lol. Congrats on dodging every part of the post that pointed out your overreaction and clinging to a thread you thought you could refute. Strong move.

There was nothing else to respond to from your post as far as I could tell at a glance. I realize there's an asymmetry in our relationship here, my guy, but I don't hang on each word you type.

Also, people have been attempting to feeling-shame me about posting style and behavior on Internet forums since before your mediocre, Gen Z-acting ass was born. I'm sure if you call your mother and let her know that you're still a good boy whose love for the wilder types is still mysteriously unrequited, she'll be happy to make you feel better and assure you that everything is going to be okay.

Rather than further emo-shitting up this thread with your efforts to change me, maybe just take it all to DM from here if you need more attention. We were having a perfectly good argument about whether UT will suck again or be back like Ehlinger in '18 before you pulled up in your clown car to whine at me.

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

The fumble near the end of TCU... not fumbling doesn't need to be banged into your head? So the whole "ball security" parts of practice didn't need to be emphasized, not really? I'ma just gonna disagree right there.

However, it's not even the real point. The real point is running hurry-up at a point in the game where we needed to run as much of that 3:00 clock as possible. Ingram reaching for the goal line just cemented the stupidity. 

I learned that being careful with the ball was important when I was in pee wee. Maybe Herm needed better drills?  Maybe Keontay needed a reminder just beforehand? or Herm/Drayton just needed to treat him better.  Shouldn't have to learn fundamental shit at this level, but here we are.  Should we have told Keontay to catch the ball when wide open vs LSU?  

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1